Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

tagesschau posted:

The closest area that requires street parking permits is listed as 90-99% claimed, but it's good to know that 1-10% availability is "shitloads of street parking."

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

So no, you didn't read the words. :eng99:

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Have you ever had to use a street parking permit? I have. Those percentages don't mean jack poo poo for whats actually available.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

RBC posted:

There's shitloads of street parking in this area and a parking lot at the childcare centre as well and it has great public transit all over. That guy in the video is a loving idiot and so are you.

Street parking's crap, especially during recreation hours (far more people/cars at home), and more than half the streets in that area are driveways and fire hydrants. Permit-only, too? Dunno how restrictive those rules are over there. The childcare center is gated teacher parking for the school. I dunno why they like to gate and close things like that, but nevertheless... It's completely closed off in most of the streetview photos of the entrance across the years.

Nothing quite like a 500m walk to drop off / pick up kids from the swimming pool!

Compare "reasonable", noting this is much more zoomed out, both built to serve as sports nexus for a couple hundred thousand people .. also, out of frame on the first one: more parking and a skytrain station. There were proposals to hook the second up to skytrain back when the line was built but the cheaper plan was decided on back in a less transit-friendly era. Also note that most of these significantly larger lots are 100% full when anything's going on to the point where it's like a Costco lot, cars doing laps waiting for someone to pull out.

That East York place has nothing!

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

tagesschau posted:

So no, you didn't read the words. :eng99:

Lol I just looked it up and you were being completely disengenous, because permit parking isn't even allowed in the immediate area.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Sassafras posted:

Street parking's crap, especially during recreation hours (far more people/cars at home), and more than half the streets in that area are driveways and fire hydrants. Permit-only, too? Dunno how restrictive those rules are over there. The childcare center is gated teacher parking for the school. I dunno why they like to gate and close things like that, but nevertheless... It's completely closed off in most of the streetview photos of the entrance across the years.

Nothing quite like a 500m walk to drop off / pick up kids from the swimming pool!

Compare "reasonable", noting this is much more zoomed out, both built to serve as sports nexus for a couple hundred thousand people .. also, out of frame on the first one: more parking and a skytrain station. There were proposals to hook the second up to skytrain back when the line was built but the cheaper plan was decided on back in a less transit-friendly era. Also note that most of these significantly larger lots are 100% full when anything's going on to the point where it's like a Costco lot, cars doing laps waiting for someone to pull out.

That East York place has nothing!

Nobody loving cares.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

RBC posted:

Nobody loving cares.

Well whatever, but that dilapidated area is getting screwed... presumably because whoever lives near the other proposed location is more politically powerful.

(To be sure, the fact that the whole area looks like poo poo is why it's being ridiculed that they want to save it.)

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
You might not like this, but this is what transportation planning looks like at peak performance (Level of Service = A):

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
I agree on the fact that it's the only parking lot in the area to serve those places.

But seriously you can fit a parking lot anywhere in that neighborhood, maybe not 1 big lot but lots of smaller ones shoehorned in. Might have to encroach on more of the rec center, park or child care place to make it fit.

It would also be extremely stupid to have a nice park, rec center, and arena but also be literally inaccessible and completely underserved since no one could go without walking at least 1 km to go to it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Chillyrabbit posted:

I agree on the fact that it's the only parking lot in the area to serve those places.

But seriously you can fit a parking lot anywhere in that neighborhood, maybe not 1 big lot but lots of smaller ones shoehorned in. Might have to encroach on more of the rec center, park or child care place to make it fit.

It would also be extremely stupid to have a nice park, rec center, and arena but also be literally inaccessible and completely underserved since no one could go without walking at least 1 km to go to it.
oh no

people would have to walk for 15 minutes

part of densification and urban planning is that we're going to have to start being okay with walking small distances to get to places like this

car-centric planning gives you this privileged/kind of ludicrous idea that a place isn't accessible/worth going to unless you can literally get dropped off right at the door, but human lives and lifestyles are amenable to much more than that. (disability accommodations are a separate thing, not talking about that here.)

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I am down with not giving a gently caress about the demise of an unnecessary free surface parking lot.

You'll notice that the residents cited the safety of their children from violent drug addicts as their main concern, and also admitted that most users of the lot were actually dropping off their kids for games rather than staying there.

Either way, what the point of defending one of the worst possible uses of public property?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
let's bulldoze some of the single family homes to build a new parking lot to replace the one we're taking away

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
let's bulldoze some of the single family homes to build a new parking lot to replace the one we're taking away a walkable, bike- and transit-friendly neighborhood with more multifamily homes.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
I mean once we start bulldozing SFH I wouldn't mind a more densified neighborhood so I don't have to drive to the 7-11 for a slurpee, just choose between the three 7-11's in walking distance depending on the mood. Best thing I loved about Japan being so dense when I visited was that you literally were a 5 minute walk away from anything you want.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
Another business day means more high sales, should be some more good ones in the next day or two:

https://twitter.com/SE01161854/status/1366568216638623744?s=19

Asking was 2.6.

I hate East Van and would take Burnaby over it every single time even without Vancouver's dysfunctional Council/Parks/Planning but lots of people seem to disagree.

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 2, 2021

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Not enough surface parking lots in East Van IMO.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

qhat posted:

Not enough surface parking lots in East Van IMO.

Definitely needs more freeways so you can actually get around.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

RBC posted:

Lol I just looked it up and you were being completely disengenous, because permit parking isn't even allowed in the immediate area.

The permit area begins two blocks south of most of the facilities served by the parking lot, and is closer to about half of them. There go those pesky facts, obliterating your argument again.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

tagesschau posted:

The permit area begins two blocks south of most of the facilities served by the parking lot, and is closer to about half of them. There go those pesky facts, obliterating your argument again.

On-street parking permits in Toronto are primarily for overnight parking (11pm to 5am) and exclusively so in the area you are looking at. Also, no permit is needed to park during the day on any street without a no parking sign, permit zone or not.

There go those pesky facts . . .

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.

tagesschau posted:

What the gently caress are you even talking about

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

MagicCube posted:

On-street parking permits in Toronto are primarily for overnight parking (11pm to 5am) and exclusively so in the area you are looking at. Also, no permit is needed to park during the day on any street without a no parking sign, permit zone or not.

If you think an area being almost out of street parking permits means anything other than the streets being full of cars (mostly belonging to residents) 24/7, then I encourage you to pay your first visit to any such area.

MagicCube posted:

There go those pesky facts . . .

Confirming what I said above?

linoleum floors posted:

What the gently caress are you even talking about

Residents are anticipating not being able to find parking or having their cars blocked into their driveways by illegally parked cars, and just being told to deal with it. "Well, gently caress those people" is not a coherent response.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Sassafras posted:

Another business day means more high sales, should be some more good ones in the next day or two:

https://twitter.com/SE01161854/status/1366568216638623744?s=19

Asking was 2.6.

I hate East Van and would take Burnaby over it every single time even without Vancouver's dysfunctional Council/Parks/Planning but lots of people seem to disagree.

That is obscene.

So is the 'this is totally normal, we're just all stupidly wealthy here' attitude. gently caress this place.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

That one at least makes a little more sense than the poo poo 90s house. Oversized lot. Newly renovated Vancouver Special (super in demand nowadays since ~Open Concept~ is in vogue). Assessed at 1.95M.

Sold 1M over assessment :monocle:

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

tagesschau posted:

If you think an area being almost out of street parking permits means anything other than the streets being full of cars (mostly belonging to residents) 24/7, then I encourage you to pay your first visit to any such area.

Confirming what I said above?

Residents are anticipating not being able to find parking or having their cars blocked into their driveways by illegally parked cars, and just being told to deal with it. "Well, gently caress those people" is not a coherent response.

Street parking permits in Toronto are for OVERNIGHT USE. Them being close to sold out has nothing to do with parking during the day. Especially when you can park on every loving street around that area during the day. The amount of permits sold has absolutely nothing to do with parking outside of overnight.

I live in Toronto, in a permit parking area and have had a street parking permit before. My street is full of two groups of cars, one that parks during the day for work and shopping and the residents who come leave in the morning and come back in the evening.

Take a step back and realize that you are defending a parking lot. A parking lot over affordable housing. It's genuinely sad.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

MagicCube posted:

Street parking permits in Toronto are for OVERNIGHT USE. Them being close to sold out has nothing to do with parking during the day. Especially when you can park on every loving street around that area during the day. The amount of permits sold has absolutely nothing to do with parking outside of overnight.

This is just demonstrably untrue; the number of street permits sold has quite a lot to do with how many cars are in the area at any given time. Cars with permits have exclusive use of the area overnight, but the idea that they just disappear for most of the day isn't based in observable reality.

MagicCube posted:

Take a step back and realize that you are defending a parking lot. A parking lot over affordable housing. It's genuinely sad.

I'm not doing any such thing. I'm specifically pushing back against the idea that it's an unmitigated good for the city to come in and say "welp, this is changing now, sorry-not-sorry for not consulting you, and we aren't doing anything to mitigate the parking problems we're causing." People are going to keep using those sports facilities, and they're probably going to start blocking people's driveways in the process.

But yeah, gently caress people who have to get the kid to daycare and themselves to work, and can't wait half a day for the city to tow the car blocking their driveway, at least according to forums poster RBC.

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE APARTHEID ACADEMIC

It's important that institutions never take a stance like "genocide is bad". Now get out there and crack some of my students' skulls.

MagicCube posted:

I live in Toronto, in a permit parking area and have had a street parking permit before. My street is full of two groups of cars, one that parks during the day for work and shopping and the residents who come leave in the morning and come back in the evening.

I have a parking permit and my apartment is right up the street from a long-term care home/medical complex and Kensington Market. There are plenty of empty spaces at night but it's impossible to find parking during the day. If I run an errand before it gets dark I have no hope of finding parking on my street. It's super annoying, especially when it's nice out on the weekend and people drive to the area to go to restaurants and walk around. It's bad enough that I really try to avoid going anywhere during the day by car (i.e. to the grocery store) unless absolutely necessary. I'm not going to say that replacing a parking lot with affordable housing isn't good policy, but I can understand the frustration.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

tagesschau posted:

This is just demonstrably untrue; the number of street permits sold has quite a lot to do with how many cars are in the area at any given time. Cars with permits have exclusive use of the area overnight, but the idea that they just disappear for most of the day isn't based in observable reality.

I observe it on a daily basis in my area. There are two groups of cars I see every day. Residents who leave during the day to go to work and generally are in the spots between 6pm and 8am and people who come between 8am and 6pm to work and shop in the surrounding area. So yes, the cars that have permits do disappear during the day.

Oakland Martini posted:

I have a parking permit and my apartment is right up the street from a long-term care home/medical complex and Kensington Market. There are plenty of empty spaces at night but it's impossible to find parking during the day. If I run an errand before it gets dark I have no hope of finding parking on my street. It's super annoying, especially when it's nice out on the weekend and people drive to the area to go to restaurants and walk around. It's bad enough that I really try to avoid going anywhere during the day by car (i.e. to the grocery store) unless absolutely necessary. I'm not going to say that replacing a parking lot with affordable housing isn't good policy, but I can understand the frustration.

That's fair enough and I can understand that, but the area that this all taking place in is a place where every surrounding street has parking during the day, there are multiple parking lots in the area and 95% of the houses have driveways.

The frustration for these residents has nothing to do with parking and everything to do with "undesirables" moving in. Defending a parking lot instead of saying what they're really afraid of is an easy way for them to not look like horrible ghouls.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
landlord is listing again. she was pretty apologetic and said her financial situation has worsened so they have no choice. must be one of those low income landlords i've heard about.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Cold on a Cob posted:

landlord is listing again. she was pretty apologetic and said her financial situation has worsened so they have no choice. must be one of those low income landlords i've heard about.

Crocodile tears. They know they're about to make a loving killing.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

tagesschau posted:

But yeah, gently caress people who have to get the kid to daycare and themselves to work, and can't wait half a day for the city to tow the car blocking their driveway, at least according to forums poster RBC.
This but unironically. We can solve homelessness by building homes for people, the NIMBY middle class can go gently caress themselves.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Less Fat Luke posted:

This but unironically. We can solve homelessness by building homes for people, the NIMBY middle class can go gently caress themselves.

You can't build affordable housing as long as land values are high and continue to go higher. Affordable housing and middle class wealth-building are diametrically opposed concepts.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

half cocaine posted:

You can't build affordable housing as long as land values are high and continue to go higher. Affordable housing and middle class wealth-building are diametrically opposed concepts.

I'm not talking about affordable housing, I'm talking about housing for the homeless. Which is what this parking lot project is.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

That's only because people in this country, among others, are dumb and simultaneously associate "middle class wealth building" with "massive accumulation of real estate" and also as "the only possible way to save for retirement".

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

qhat posted:

Crocodile tears. They know they're about to make a loving killing.

Yeah. I'm doing absolutely nothing to make this any easier for them. They bought in ~2014, they'd be ahead selling at 2018 prices.

Incidentally, rents have dropped so much that if we moved tomorrow we'd be paying maybe $200 more per month (but probably not be paying for our own heat and AC anymore). It's amazing how many rentals are on the market now and how far the spread is between buying and renting.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

So twitter is going mental today about David Eby's rent freeze until the end of 2021. Many amateur landlords scrambling to post the frothiest version of "This is why all my units will be SOLD by September". Spoiler alert though: none of them will actually sell.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

half cocaine posted:

Sure you can. You take expensive land, and you build up, with so much density that the underlying land value has less impact on the final price per unit.

Land value does increase when you zone it for increased density, but not so much as to dominate the savings from increased density. Land value increases can also be limited by adding increased development fees that come into effect when land is used at higher densities. Then buyers know not to pay too much for land when they know what they'll be charged when they build.

Take out the profit motive by having the government build instead of private developers and there's more savings there to create greater affordability.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

YO I just found the guy who likes riding the village bicycle.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Less Fat Luke posted:

uh geez didn't you read the post? We can't help homeless people because cars might be blocking a driveway, for some reason.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Oakland Martini posted:

You live in Toronto, near Kensignton market, no less, and don't have a parking spot. What the gently caress do you expect? Most cities don't even have on street parking permits. If you live somewhere without a spot, you're SOL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Have none of you considered the human cost of children seeing homeless people on the street on a daily basis? They might actually conclude that capitalism is a broken system!