Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
answering questions about intimate details of my life someone's just clinically reading off a list in a depression screening felt like a punch to the gut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Imaginary numbers made way more sense to me after college when I heard someone explain them as just regular old numbers, but on the Y axis of the number line. Like you've got every real number on the X axis, but you wanna go up or down a little, that's an imaginary number.

okay so what are numbers along the z and w axiiisis?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Khanstant posted:

These infos seem extremely conflicting and at best reads like one of those games where it feels like an MMO or GaaS that switched gears mid development? Shooting + grind + loot is a funky triangle formula. Borderlands 2 did it okay, right up until grind started, then you quit playing so its fine. Not crazy about shooting game where I gotta stop and try and think about which gun is best right now. I'll settle for a looter shooter where there's no ammo refill, you just use gun until its out of bullets then throw it away forever.

i agree that it is all very silly

the dev's say it's not a GAAS so thats where i got that info from

the reason anyone is farming anything in the demo is because progress carries over to the full game - but the demo is locked to only level 7 and a low world tier (which function like the diablo 3 Torment levels, the higher tiers increase mob difficulty and loot drops) so the drop chance for legendaries is really really small. people are farming for like 30+ hours and not getting one (i farmed for maybe 8-10 hours over the weekend and got 1. it was pretty chill)

but i really like the gameplay so far, the devastator class is super fun, it encourages you to just fuckin run in and kill poo poo as fast as possible to keep yourself alive, reminds me a lot of Krieg's style of gameplay. there's a lot of different armor mods that affect your skills and your build with a lot of potential fun customization. so i'm looking forward to it!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Subconscious numbers and dream numbers, duh

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Khanstant posted:

okay so what are numbers along the z and w axiiisis?

Quaternions and octonions, presumably.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

exquisite tea posted:

both quaternions, octonions would be s through v

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Rinkles posted:

answering questions about intimate details of my life someone's just clinically reading off a list in a depression screening felt like a punch to the gut

Ouch. Hope it at least leads to something that helps you.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Kerrzhe posted:

but i really like the gameplay so far, the devastator class is super fun, it encourages you to just fuckin run in and kill poo poo as fast as possible to keep yourself alive, reminds me a lot of Krieg's style of gameplay. there's a lot of different armor mods that affect your skills and your build with a lot of potential fun customization. so i'm looking forward to it!

i was ready to dismiss this as "not for me" on the loot basis alone, like, Diablo 2 style loot games just frustrate me but Krieg... Krieg is worth suffering through an FPS for, there is no joy in a shooter like not being the shooter, but the suicidal axe man where dying is a legitimate attack strategy.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

i had some octonions on my burger last night and there were so good and crispy

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

That is one hyperdimensional burger!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The octonions can be thought of as octets (or 8-tuples) of real numbers. Every octonion is a real linear combination of the unit octonions:

{\displaystyle \{e_{0},e_{1},e_{2},e_{3},e_{4},e_{5},e_{6},e_{7}\},}{\displaystyle \{e_{0},e_{1},e_{2},e_{3},e_{4},e_{5},e_{6},e_{7}\},}
where e0 is the scalar or real element; it may be identified with the real number 1. That is, every octonion x can be written in the form

{\displaystyle x=x_{0}e_{0}+x_{1}e_{1}+x_{2}e_{2}+x_{3}e_{3}+x_{4}e_{4}+x_{5}e_{5}+x_{6}e_{6}+x_{7}e_{7},\,}x=x_{0}e_{0}+x_{1}e_{1}+x_{2}e_{2}+x_{3}e_{3}+x_{4}e_{4}+x_{5}e_{5}+x_{6}e_{6}+x_{7}e_{7},\,
with real coefficients xi.

are mathmeticians okay, do they have drugs i dont?

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Quaternions cover all axes up to the fourth dimension, yeah. Also thee's fun to be had with homogeneous numbers, where the extra dimension represents infinity. Both those kinds of 4-dimensional numbers are essential in modern 3d game programming, too!

EDIT: ^ ^ ^ math is the greatest drug, you won't ever need any other!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Basically, math using vectors works out a lot better when the number of dimensions is a power of two. Octonions are just eight-dimensional vectors. (They're not very useful I don't think)

Quaternions, being four-dimensional vectors, are very useful because when you want to transform a 3-dimensional vector (e.g., for computer graphics) you can just pretend it's 4D and do quaternion math.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
here are all the numbers: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 69, 420, 8008135, fifty cent, tree fiddy, schfifty-five, pi, avocado's number, 60, 365, 24, 7, 22, and 42.

8 is superfluous, two 3s superimposed with one 3 backwards does the same job.

cheetah7071 posted:

Basically, math using vectors works out a lot better when the number of dimensions is a power of two. Octonions are just eight-dimensional vectors. (They're not very useful I don't think)

Quaternions, being four-dimensional vectors, are very useful because when you want to transform a 3-dimensional vector (e.g., for computer graphics) you can just pretend it's 4D and do quaternion math.

The fourth dimensional thing I almost understand from using blender, if only because some texture nodes rely on using 4th dimensional space options which i don't understand but still have used. ive read flatland before too, but all i remember is 2d guy clowning on those 1d chumps

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 2, 2021

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
I like that quite a few apparently intractable math problems can be solved with "what if we chuck in an extra dimension that only exists in your dreams?"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Chev posted:

I like that quite a few apparently intractable math problems can be solved with "what if we chuck in an extra dimension that only exists in your dreams?"

This is how Andrew Wiles proved Fermat's Last Theorem, which just causes googly symbols to float around my head like in cartoons to even read about.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The only number we need is 69

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

New avatar for warch

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

If you have Amazon Prime, Blasphemous is free on Twitch Prime Gaming.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
shout outs to all the amazone twitch games ive claimed and own but have never installed never will and wouldnt know how to if i tried

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Mode 7 posted:

New avatar for warch

it's perfect

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Weedle posted:

all numbers are imaginary. what is a four. it's not a thing. it's just an idea. like dracula

cheetah7071 posted:

The question you should be asking isn't "are numbers real" but "are numbers useful"

and complex numbers are extremely useful

this but unironically

the one time I tripped my loving rear end off I thought really hard about how the complex numbers were lurking in the shadows of the real numbers, always there even if most people don't see/know/think about them, but they're there and they're much nicer than the real numbers. and then a couple months later I proved a fact about integers by plugging a primitive third root of 1 into an expression. wild poo poo

Khanstant posted:

The octonions can be thought of as octets (or 8-tuples) of real numbers. Every octonion is a real linear combination of the unit octonions:

{\displaystyle \{e_{0},e_{1},e_{2},e_{3},e_{4},e_{5},e_{6},e_{7}\},}{\displaystyle \{e_{0},e_{1},e_{2},e_{3},e_{4},e_{5},e_{6},e_{7}\},}
where e0 is the scalar or real element; it may be identified with the real number 1. That is, every octonion x can be written in the form

{\displaystyle x=x_{0}e_{0}+x_{1}e_{1}+x_{2}e_{2}+x_{3}e_{3}+x_{4}e_{4}+x_{5}e_{5}+x_{6}e_{6}+x_{7}e_{7},\,}x=x_{0}e_{0}+x_{1}e_{1}+x_{2}e_{2}+x_{3}e_{3}+x_{4}e_{4}+x_{5}e_{5}+x_{6}e_{6}+x_{7}e_{7},\,
with real coefficients xi.

are mathmeticians okay, do they have drugs i dont?

have the nerds at SAL not gotten us TeX functionality yet

Rinkles posted:

echoing my colleague Walla here. I hope this is as lovely as the therapy process gets for you and that you find some real help there :)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

wath

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Way late but the best Marvel is Spider-Man

even the bad one

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am really liking WandaVision and it has made me excited for Falcon and the Winter Soldier, and then Loki.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jeff thorblum is the best marvel movie

Idr the real name

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
X-Man, X-Men, and X-Many More were not good marvels

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

I know its like marketed as being a completely separate game, but since a lot of people've been talking about it, is there any reason to play the original Bravely Default/End Layer before starting BD2? I technically own them both but it's kinda hard to go back to a 3DS after using Switch + Vita for handheld for so long, so I'm kinda tempted to just skip straight to 2 and hope they do a port of the original duology down the line.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ofnDdi-vfw

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I'm looking for cool/interesting ~4' rugs for a room I'm finishing and I found this:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/866007311/kirby-cute-anime-manga-video-game-plush

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mix. posted:

I know its like marketed as being a completely separate game, but since a lot of people've been talking about it, is there any reason to play the original Bravely Default/End Layer before starting BD2? I technically own them both but it's kinda hard to go back to a 3DS after using Switch + Vita for handheld for so long, so I'm kinda tempted to just skip straight to 2 and hope they do a port of the original duology down the line.

BD is better than BD2 so that's a reason but there's nothing stopping you from skipping, no

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
thinkin about the time i was watching endgame and had to take a break because it was so long and boring and not over halfway through itself and these marvel ppl were all offended but then double offended when they realized i was watching a camrip lol only way im giving a film company superhero movie money is if i need to hide in a theatre to kill time to hide from an abusive paranoid roommate so thanks whoever made wonder woman i guess

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

Way late but the best Marvel is Spider-Man

even the bad one

:yeah:

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
there are no bad spider-man movies except the andrew garfield ones

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Thread title's making me want to watch Sling Blade again, ngl

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Very glad I don’t need to think about math regularly. Get that TeX out of here you nerds. I’m instead in a career where everyone thinks their smart even though most of ‘em ain’t.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I was on our academic quiz team for mathematics, took college computer programming classes in middle school, and was called a prodigy by our mathematics department, and now I've worked at a pizza place for 15 years for minimum wage, so I dunno seems like math isn't great

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I liked the first third of Endgame where everyone was just cripplingly depressed and there were almost no jokes. The other two Avengers movies (the first one and then the one with Ultron, I didn't actually watch Infinity War) were boring and the same movie but I really like how there's two tiers of Avengers - the ones who do stuff and the ones who don't do anything. Thor and Iron Man and Hulk are killing billions of enemies and cutting holes in spaceships and then you go to the ground level and Black Widow has a gun and shoots two enemies before deciding to just stop worrying about killing things and goes to fix a power line or something, and then Captain America has to punch one guy at a time and if they gang up on him he needs help

Otherwise I haven't seen a Marvel Movie since Iron Man 1 which was okay

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Video games are probably the most mathematically intense thing I do on a regular basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Playing video games is just solving obtuse math problems with a really weird and limited calculator interface