Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miloshe
Oct 25, 2009

The little chicken girl wants me to ease up!
He can't handle!
He cries like woman!

This is like reading a goddamn Greek Tragedy. This is the ancient text of the future. Our descendants will recite our watchful wisdom to their children in a post apocalyptic hellspace, safe within the confines of their box truck to keep out predatory beasts.

"And why don't we light a fire in the concrete-wheel box truck?"

The children exclaim: "We don't want to be like Ry-Guy!"

"What else?"

The children pause before shouting: "It would destroy our observatory!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

serious gaylord posted:

Yeah why not put a ring circuit in this thing. If you're already going out your way to make it as dangerously stupid as possible you should shoot for the stars.

I actually didn't know they did ring mains in the UK until minutes ago and I am not sure if I should be horrified or dying of laughter that the British wire their houses like Christmas lights.

E: Yes, I know it's not exactly like Christmas lights, but it's funnier to me this way.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 1, 2021

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

Fermented Tinal posted:

I actually didn't know they did ring mains in the UK until minutes ago and I am not sure if I should be horrified or dying of laughter that the British wire their houses like Christmas lights.

E: Yes, I know it's not exactly like Christmas lights, but it's funnier to me this way.

This was an interesting read. I think old trailers in the US did this too because when someone was redoing the electric in my mother's house (which I did under the guidance of my grandpa) they messed it up (they weren't licensed either, and got out of dodge) which left the vent fan in the bathroom constantly running, and my brother-in-laws explanation was that they must have messed up the circle as it goes from socket to socket before returning, and I was like hold hold up, all the wires and sockets for a single room meet at the junction box in the cieling then go to the circuit breaker; there is no circle. Like I thought he didn't know what he was talking about, but this kind of makes what he was saying make sense.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

no
that's not how it works.. ring mains and different than a string of outlets / things wired. Dont let your BIL wire anything you own.
Someone just didn't wire the switch right for the switched loop.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Fermented Tinal posted:

It's actually a pretty reasonable system, but yes, I think we're the only country who does it like that.

It's one of those things that doesn't seem at all odd when you're used to it.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Ring mains are different to radial wiring which most of the world uses.

InitialDave posted:

It's actually a pretty reasonable system, but yes, I think we're the only country who does it like that.

It's one of those things that doesn't seem at all odd when you're used to it.

I mean it doesn't seem odd because its how everything is, but I'd rather we had radials simply for fault finding purposes.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Bogus Adventure posted:

Nah, don't worry about the CO. It'll be a learning experience to prove whether or not your lungs rely on hemoglobin's ability to reversibly bond with O2 and CO2 and if CO irreversibly bonds with it.

Yeah. I'm in an SA discord and those posters whining at you itt to "fix your exhaust" are laughing it up about how they're really just loving with you and seeing if they can get you to waste time doing unnecessary work

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

Vim Fuego posted:

Yeah. I'm in an SA discord and those posters whining at you itt to "fix your exhaust" are laughing it up about how they're really just loving with you and seeing if they can get you to waste time doing unnecessary work

I am skeptical of this. They seem honest and my boss is agreeing with them now that he knows where the exhaust is.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 2, 2021

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Oh that's good.

Your boss wants you out any way possible

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

duomo posted:

tired: load bearing drywall
wired: load bearing cushion

highered: load bearing cushion of dry air

OP, have you thought about a hovercraft? It looks super easy. https://www.instructables.com/10-HP-Hovercraft/ It's loud when you're going but so is your truck and this way you can also sail and just park it wherever and you can take shortcuts also because you are a ship and they do not have to obey the traffic laws of cars. Please think it over, it really does look pretty easy and you don't have to use power tools. You can maybe just put a big curtain around the truck and hook up the engine to a fan and then the skirt will contain the exhaust gases also. The telescope can be mounted on the bow to look like a cannon. Namaste.

Sam I Am
Aug 6, 2004

You're a lucky, lucky boy 'cause you know why? You get to drink from, the fire hose!

builds character posted:

highered: load bearing cushion of dry air

OP, have you thought about a hovercraft? It looks super easy. https://www.instructables.com/10-HP-Hovercraft/ It's loud when you're going but so is your truck and this way you can also sail and just park it wherever and you can take shortcuts also because you are a ship and they do not have to obey the traffic laws of cars. Please think it over, it really does look pretty easy and you don't have to use power tools. You can maybe just put a big curtain around the truck and hook up the engine to a fan and then the skirt will contain the exhaust gases also. The telescope can be mounted on the bow to look like a cannon. Namaste.

I know Ry isn't a fan of beds, but you missed that the air-filled skirt is also a bed.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Sam I Am posted:

I know Ry isn't a fan of beds, but you missed that the air-filled skirt is also a bed.

Sorry about that. I haven't labeled it, but I wrote bed underneath now.

BED

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Not realistic Where's the carbon monoxide?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

tater_salad posted:

Perhaps a review of the original which I have revised in accordance with professional standards to reflect the project's shift to a hover-home will refresh your memory of what those little swirls are. It is clearly captured by the skirt.

mewse posted:

Seriously. I made a rough blueprint of the new design

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

my bad entirely see I didn't recogonize the text as it was sideways and smaller than normal to read on my phone. Deepest apologies kind sir

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

builds character posted:

Sorry about that. I haven't labeled it, but I wrote bed underneath now.

BED

Lol I love that you a picture of me in the passenger seat. And the telescope. The telescope is definitely missing from the original.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

The exhaust swirls should be coming from the middle of the box.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

So. I took another gander into the dark recesses of the GroverTruk underbelly because I was concerned that a lengthened pipe would be too close to the fuel tank. Lo and behold I found a bracket for the original exhaust that would have the CO escaping into the environment out from behind the rear passenger side dualies. I think the previous owner made several modifications to the grovertruk. I noticed some cooling lines were missing from the throttle body, there was a hole in the catalytic converter and now it looks like the down turned exhaust under the bed is also a modification from the original. It sounds like they were trying to get more power out of the GroverTruk. As if it needed more power. Perhaps if I restore the original exhaust it will run better.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Rytheric posted:

So. I took another gander into the dark recesses of the GroverTruk underbelly because I was concerned that a lengthened pipe would be too close to the fuel tank. Lo and behold I found a bracket for the original exhaust that would have the CO escaping into the environment out from behind the rear passenger side dualies. I think the previous owner made several modifications to the grovertruk. I noticed some cooling lines were missing from the throttle body, there was a hole in the catalytic converter and now it looks like the down turned exhaust under the bed is also a modification from the original. It sounds like they were trying to get more power out of the GroverTruk. As if it needed more power. Perhaps if I restore the original exhaust it will run better.

I bet it turned some sick 1/4 mile times, though.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rytheric posted:

Perhaps if you restore the original exhaust you won't be literally poisoning yourself.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

wait did OP literally give himself CO poisoning? jesus dude sell the grovertruk and just buy a retired ambulance or something.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
Cognitive impairment from CO exposure explains a lot, really

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

D-LINK posted:

Cognitive impairment from CO exposure explains a lot, really

no, i think that was pre-CO truck

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

redleader posted:

i honestly cannot loving comprehend why fixing the exhaust is like the 700th item in the priority list for you

that's for CO2, not CO. 800ppm CO gives you "Dizziness, nausea, and convulsions within 45 min; insensible within 2 hours", which tbh is better than i'd expected. i'd have expected dead, very quickly

that being said, i think anything that risks hurting ry's already compromised decision making abilities should be strongly discouraged

Co2 also comes out the exhaust too right? So I mean there's that. Id be more concerned of that being more likely given co is a byproduct of incomplete combustion where as I'd hope there would be more complete combustion than incomplete.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

sell grovertruk for scrap

return your three thousand dollar loving telescope what the gently caress

don't buy land, buy a retired ambulance and build grovertruk mk2 in it

Rytheric posted:

Co2 also comes out the exhaust too right? So I mean there's that. Id be more concerned of that being more likely given co is a byproduct of incomplete combustion where as I'd hope there would be more complete combustion than incomplete.

breathing in both of these things are bad for you, you moron

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007

Elviscat posted:

Buy a MIG welder and weld the exhaust yourself.

Think of all the fabulous things you could build with a MIG welder.

too loud and bright :(

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

Rytheric posted:

Except CO is so bad because it IRREVERSIBLY BINDS WITH YOUR HEMOGLOBIN!

We can tolerate more CO2 in what we breathe because it just temporarily binds. Even tiny amount of CO are REALLY REALLY BAD.

I don't think the previous owner did any of that to get more power.
I think they did all that because they were cheap and lazy and rather than fix or maintain anything properly, they half assed into the state you have now.

Either ditch the truck or fix the exhaust before you do anything else.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Rytheric posted:

:magical:

e: like, you can smell the exhaust, right? You can see it, right? So you know there's more than just the water vapor and carbon dioxide that are your vaguely remembered high school chemistry products of combustion, right?

Stultus Maximus fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 2, 2021

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Grovertruck: if zaraug lived in a box truck

Like your other holes in your exhaust and catalytic converter are fixed right?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rytheric posted:

Water comes out of there too. Maybe you should just do exhaust bong hits since everything coming out of there is fine, right?

(because you are not bright: this is sarcasm. Do not take rips off your exhaust. You will die.)

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

tater_salad posted:

Its invisible and has no scent. Duh. Its there, you just can't sense it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rytheric posted:

Seriously....? CO2 isnt exactly healthy for you either you know.

Rytheric posted:

Yes actually, a proper full length exhaust would make it run better. And also stop you from being gassed.

Also those "coolant" lines to the throttle body are there mostly to warm the throttle body so it doesnt ice up and stick. You would get more power putting a sik mods list aka "street racing idiot shopping list" on the side than removing those. In a colder climate you should be running those.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

dragonshardz posted:

sell grovertruk for scrap

return your three thousand dollar loving telescope what the gently caress

don't buy land, buy a retired ambulance and build grovertruk mk2 in it

breathing in both of these things are bad for you, you moron

I meant one is more likely to happen. Co is like a sometimes snack that happens while co2 will always happen. That's why I'm less concerned about it. Why would I worry about a gas that is only sometimes produced when I rarely run the engine while im inside. That makes the chances of it being an issue rather slim in my mind. Like less than a handful of chances per winter. Perhaps I'm over analyzing it though. Regardless I will restore the exhaust to start going out the side at the rear like it did initially.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

tater_salad posted:

Grovertruck: if zaraug lived in a box truck

Like your other holes in your exhaust and catalytic converter are fixed right?

The whole in the catalytic converter was the first thing I had fixed after the tires.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rytheric posted:

I meant one is more likely to happen. Co is like a sometimes snack that happens while co2 will always happen. That's why I'm less concerned about it. Why would I worry about a gas that is only sometimes produced when I rarely run the engine while im inside.

No. NO. You're wrong. Stop trying to "outsmart" this. CO is always being produced when the engine is running. You, once again, learned a term or two (like "incomplete combustion") and think you can "logic" it all out from there.

In this case as well as others that type of willful ignorance will get you killed.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Sounds more like the PO had a pretty lackadaisical attitude toward truk maintenance, not that they were part of an underground commercial vehicle racing scene. #1 on the punch list is still ‘go to a muffler shop’.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Ry, don’t do dumb poo poo to try to impress goons. This includes the fire pit.

Everyone else, don’t suggest or endorse dumb poo poo. This includes claiming that the exhaust isn’t an immediate problem that needs to be addressed before he stays in the truck again. :psyduck:

I’ve heard several people express concern that this thread could go the direction of other goon sagas (especially a notable AI one) where naive goons were egged on for the entertainment of others and I don’t want that blood on my hands, and I doubt any of you do either.

Please continue to use the report button and/or PMs judiciously and don’t be afraid to shout down anyone egging Rytheric on for laughs. Good advice may be boring but that’s where we’re at, doing dumb poo poo is only funny when you have a solid foundation of smart poo poo to fall back on after it fails.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rytheric posted:

I meant one is more likely to happen. Co is like a sometimes snack that happens while co2 will always happen. That's why I'm less concerned about it. Why would I worry about a gas that is only sometimes produced when I rarely run the engine while im inside. That makes the chances of it being an issue rather slim in my mind. Like less than a handful of chances per winter. Perhaps I'm over analyzing it though. Regardless I will restore the exhaust to start going out the side at the rear like it did initially.

CO IS ALWAYS PRODUCED WHEN A GAS MOTOR IS RUNNING

Fix your bloody exhaust.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 2, 2021

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Motronic posted:

No. NO. You're wrong. Stop trying to "outsmart" this. CO is always being produced when the engine is running. You, once again, learned a term or two (like "incomplete combustion") and think you can "logic" it all out from there.

In this case as well as others that type of willful ignorance will get you killed.

:emptyquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Ya'll realize that ambulances are like the one vehicle thats mechanically abused more than a box truck, right? Long periods sitting idling, followed by hard driving, minimal maintenance and this is all before you get to the fact that most of the ones that will be floating around in actual ambulance trim at the moment will be ford econolines with the 6.0. Maybe a turbo 7.3 if you're damned lucky and find an older one that some cousin fucker hasn't had their dirty dick beaters all over already. Ya'll think the wiring and mechanical issues are fun now. :kheldragar: