Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

the soul of america: saved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Atrocious Joe posted:

AMERICA IS BACK

:patriot:

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

The George Floyd Increased Police Funding Bill

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

shyduck posted:

The slightest bit of pushback and the Dems flop like they were shot

Just as an aside, I would like to see various Democrats put into a video game engine where I can turn on low gravity and hit them with a physics gun with ragdoll effects. It'd be funny.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Atrocious Joe posted:

I like how all the moral panic about kids mental health during distance learning ignored that during normal times the US school system is a factory for mass killers.

"As long as my lovely needy kids aren't dirtying up my pristine house and ruining my Zoom meetings anymore."

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

gandlethorpe posted:

when the GOP opposes this Biden will accuse them of wanting to defund police

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

America, making satire obsolete since 1776

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/briebriejoy/status/1366436179588096006?s=19

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

lol

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

There is no way this bill is anything but an affront to the memory of Floyd and all the other vitcims of police savagery.

WorkerThread
Feb 15, 2012

Apoplexy posted:

Just as an aside, I would like to see various Democrats put into a video game engine where I can turn on low gravity and hit them with a physics gun with ragdoll effects. It'd be funny.

Stalin's Basilisk

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

just lmao if you don't use "latines" if you really want to have a unambiguously gender netural form of "latinos"

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Ruzihm posted:

just lmao if you don't use "latines" if you really want to have a unambiguously gender netural form of "latinos"

But that would actually be pronounceable in their native language and also not have a seldom-used letter be annoyingly in your face

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I'm not a native speaker of one, so do gendered languages really conflate gender as a social role with grammatical gender other than adjectives agreeing with your social gender

like I'm from the midwest so "hey you guys need to quiet down" has no gender connotation to me even though the word 'guy' alone does. you have to say the etymology is problematic even tho the immediate phenomenological experience of hearing the word isn't

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Antonymous posted:

I'm not a native speaker of one, so do gendered languages really conflate gender as a social role with grammatical gender other than adjectives agreeing with your social gender

like I'm from the midwest so "hey you guys need to quiet down" has no gender connotation to me even though the word 'guy' alone does

lol the fight over guys was lost, it's gendered.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Antonymous posted:

no

Atrocious Joe posted:

lol the fight over guys was lost, it's gendered.

hell naw.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Glad to see wokese is back

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

loquacius posted:

https://twitter.com/VP/status/1366154127424835585

the vice president will take many calls and have many meetings

:ssh: but we won't know with whom she's meeting:

quote:

The schedules for the president and vice president aren’t posted online. The White House comment line is shut down. There are no citizen petitions on the White House’s website.

The White House has committed to releasing visitor logs. But it doesn’t plan to divulge the names of attendees of virtual meetings, which are the primary mode of interaction until the coronavirus pandemic eases.

And while Biden has received kudos for keeping the American public informed, primarily by resuming the daily White House press briefings, he has yet to hold a news conference of his own.

“The steps they've taken are welcome, but insufficient to the moment and the need,” said Alex Howard, an open government advocate who directs the Digital Democracy Project at the Demand Progress Educational Fund, an arm of a left-leaning group. “They need to keep ‘showing their work’ by opening Cabinet meetings, disclosing information and using political capital to emphasize that being ‘open by default’ isn't just an option but an obligation across the government.”

For dozens of good government groups on the left and right, simply not being Trump is not enough. They are now urging Biden to do more, including fixing the very problems in transparency laws that his predecessor’s actions showed need fixing. That includes answering public records requests more quickly; publishing Office of Legal Counsel opinions; revising classification policies; and releasing logs of virtual meetings and physical meetings at other locations where the president and his aides travel.

Biden still has not held a news conference, even after meeting virtually with his first foreign leader, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, as is tradition.

The White House did not respond to questions about certain policies, including the citizens petition and the comment line, but said that Biden is making transparency a priority.

“President Biden committed during the campaign to restoring ethics and transparency to government, and in his first weeks in office he’s taken significant steps to deliver on that, including by reinstating the daily press briefing, putting in place sweeping ethics guidelines for the administration, and pledging to regularly release visitor logs again,” spokesperson Mike Gwin said.

When Biden pledged to bring the logs back, it was seen as a reversion to the Obama norm. But Covid changed the basic concept of White House visitation and has altered expectations around what should be revealed.

Norm Eisen, who served as Obama’s ethics czar and spearheaded the report from Brookings, where he serves as a senior fellow, said Biden should release virtual visitor logs even though he understands the hurdles to disclosing online meetings, including the lack of a centralized, preexisting list of virtual visitors similar to the one Secret Service keeps for physical visitors. Still, he said the Biden administration could make the distinction to release video meetings for a certain number of attendees or for certain topics.

“For the Covid era when so much is being done remotely, there should be an accommodation for that,” he said.

The White House does provide readouts of some of the virtual meetings that Biden and other White House officials host, most recently with groups pushing for gun restrictions. The information, like the president’s and vice president’s daily schedule, is usually disseminated through an email list that has more than 10,000 recipients.

A White House official confirmed it would not release virtual logs. “Virtual meetings will not be subject to release — in the same way that previous administrations didn’t release phone logs — but we’re planning on regularly releasing the attendee lists for in-person meetings at the White House,” the official said.

Biden has also yet to restore the popular citizen petition program. Two years into his term, Obama launched the We the People page on the White House website to give the public a voice on what issues he should tackle. If a petition received more than 100,000 signatures it would get an official response within 30 days. More than 38 million signatures appeared on more than 473,000 petitions during Obama’s tenure.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

lmao that Pres. Puddin'head's handlers don't trust him for giving a SOTU or holding a presser.

WorkerThread
Feb 15, 2012

i'll be taking "you guys" to my struggle session

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

when addressing liberals, i always use the gender neutral "rear end in a top hat", "fucker", and "dipshit"

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

My favorite I see a lot is 'folx'

WorkerThread
Feb 15, 2012

Willa Rogers posted:

lmao that Pres. Puddin'head's handlers don't trust him for giving a SOTU or holding a presser.

the next four years of president deepfake are going to be so funny

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

WorkerThread posted:

the next four years of president deepfake are going to be so funny

we're gonna go months in between extremely limited and short pressers that they spend months preparing Biden for

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/LACEdaFlyFellow/status/1366540782048595971?s=19

Does it

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/SenSchumer/status/1366522692124426240

"Working" is doing a lot of work there Chuck.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/SenSchumer/status/1366522692124426240

"Working" is doing a lot of work there Chuck.

I thought we needed republicans for... something?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

I thought we needed republicans for... something?

It's a fluid situation.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Gorson posted:

It's a fluid situation.

So you're saying Republicans are the ones filling the cumjar?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

lol
https://twitter.com/sam_a_bell/status/1366473338474889217?s=20

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/SenSanders/status/1366545100403335168

Bernie sounds like he's giving up.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

loving pervert.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

gandlethorpe posted:

the george floyd should have been shot in the leg act

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

yeah he's been sounding like that for a year now

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Clenched my jaw so hard was afraid I would crack my teeth.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

that said

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1366539782508142592

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'm sure he will

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted: