Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Yea, I use Glacier as long-term storage and backup of last resort. It's for if my house burns down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

If you're into podcasts at all https://selfhosted.show/ is probably of interest to this thread.

Difficulty: I'm only two episodes in and maybe it becomes utter trash.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

H110Hawk posted:

How much data do you have to upload? And why do you care if it takes 90 days if you're presumably doing nothing today? Your NAS will handle it in the background. Will your work care if you sit there and bang off the limiter for presumably 5 days (in my 90 day example, 500 / 30mbps = 16x faster?)

If I wanted to sync everything probably 60 TB or so, but the actual amount of data I really really care about is much, much smaller. More a thought exercise than anything else... if it was relatively cheap / they sent you some drives, I'd give it a try, but I figure Comcast would also have something to say after awhile. Running off a fat pipe even on the weekends would help speed it up.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

movax posted:

If I wanted to sync everything probably 60 TB or so, but the actual amount of data I really really care about is much, much smaller. More a thought exercise than anything else... if it was relatively cheap / they sent you some drives, I'd give it a try, but I figure Comcast would also have something to say after awhile. Running off a fat pipe even on the weekends would help speed it up.

AWS Snowball has 80TB and costs $300, or if your important data is less than 8TB they have AWS Snowcone for $60.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

AgentCow007 posted:

Are you using HyperBackup? I just set up HyperBackup+B2... I wouldn't mind having a second backup on Glacier, but AWS's pricing for reads and early deletion fees makes me nervous to use automated software with it.

I'm just using the officially supported synology glacier tool. I think it's called synology glacier, or something like that

I pay like, $2.53/mo, but I only use it as "in case my house burns down, all my kids baby photos are still recoverable" storage, which I'm 97% sure that's the intended purpose

If you're going to be using it for medium term storage, or short term, S3 has added additional tiers with more flexible costs. But glacier's not a good choice for that

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

My 7yo WD Reds are nearing full, 3tb was lots at the time. I've never been the biggest fan of my Buffalo linkstation. Looking at amazon real quick, the kinda prices you'd be looking at for a 4 bay quality NAS I feel I'd be just as well served picking up a used tower and I could use that as my Plex server as well then and just use my Shield as the client. Whats a good spec I should be looking at in terms of the latter usage that will decode efficiently?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

bobmarleysghost posted:

sweet thanks all, I'll go with backblaze

For people who want to back up a ton of data with Backblaze's unlimited plan, you can also still do the trick where you use something like Dokan to mount network drives as local drives so Backblaze's client won't kick 'em out. It also comes with 30 day versioning as part of the price ($6/mo), which is nice.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

codo27 posted:

Whats a good spec I should be looking at in terms of the latter usage that will decode efficiently?

Pretty much anything Ivybridge or more recent that isn't a Celeron / Atom should be more than capable of doing whatever sort of decoding you want, unless you're talking about like multiple simultaneous 4k BDR rips or something. The catch is always on the encoding side--if you need to transcode for any reason, requirements go up considerably.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

There will be 4K content at some point, dont think I have any now. But multiple streams at once, unlikely.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

codo27 posted:

My 7yo WD Reds are nearing full, 3tb was lots at the time. I've never been the biggest fan of my Buffalo linkstation. Looking at amazon real quick, the kinda prices you'd be looking at for a 4 bay quality NAS I feel I'd be just as well served picking up a used tower and I could use that as my Plex server as well then and just use my Shield as the client. Whats a good spec I should be looking at in terms of the latter usage that will decode efficiently?

Any 7th gen intel or newer with the on chip graphic will transcode plex without even breaking a sweat. They are the transcoding hotness. I run plex on a dell outlet 10 gen pentium and use a NAS for storage. It can hardware transcode 15 users and was $300, cheaper then any video card.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Newegg has the 12TB Elements for $180 today:
https://www.newegg.com/black-wd-elements-12tb/p/N82E16822234406?sdtid=14874589&Item=N82E16822234406
WD Elements 12TB USB 3.0 Desktop Hard Drive Black WDBWLG0120HBK-NESN
+ $40 off w/ promo code 93XQL62, limited offer

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
https://pca.st/episode/b027f8f9-bae7-4985-90f4-86771377d80c

The most recent "Darknet Diaries" episode about the LinkedIn breach is the perfect example of why I harp in this (and other) threads about never exposing a port to the public internet on your home computer. Spoiler alert.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

https://pca.st/episode/b027f8f9-bae7-4985-90f4-86771377d80c

The most recent "Darknet Diaries" episode about the LinkedIn breach is the perfect example of why I harp in this (and other) threads about never exposing a port to the public internet on your home computer. Spoiler alert.
That's not really a tenable solution - especially in these work-from-home times, you have to have some way of remoting in.
The trick is to ensure that only allowed hosts are permitted to connect via access control lists, and to ensure that the authentication is tied to both a certificate/keyfile and some physical property.

One way to accomplish this is to use a (BPF-based) firewall and something to handle blocking on behalf of the daemon that's handling the connections, properly configured port knocking, PAM to enforce TOTP when connecting via SSH (or even locally!), and not permitting passphrase-based logins.
That way, if you're using a passphrase-protected keyfile, you get at least three authentication factors:
  • Something you know (your passphrase)
  • Something you have (your keyfile)
  • Something you are (your fingerprint for unlocking your device that has the TOTP application).
A company that's interested in doing this could presumably use MDM and other strategies to enforce this, while hooking into the rest of their AAA.

Similarily, having full system auditing isn't a bad idea, although I don't really know how to accomplish this on production systems without using dtrace and openbsm, which aren't really available outside of FreeBSD (and macOS, I guess - but Apple have basically killed every project that would use it).

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

That's not really a tenable solution - especially in these work-from-home times, you have to have some way of remoting in.

This is the wrong direction, and I entirely disagree with you. Why does an employee, in their home, need to "remote in" to their home? They need to "remote in" to their employer, who can implement these best practices. Employees on the move should be given corporate laptops and access to corporate resources outside their home.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

This is the wrong direction, and I entirely disagree with you. Why does an employee, in their home, need to "remote in" to their home? They need to "remote in" to their employer, who can implement these best practices. Employees on the move should be given corporate laptops and access to corporate resources outside their home.
I was talking about two things; How you might go about doing it for your own setup, and how a company might go about doing it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I was talking about two things; How you might go about doing it for your own setup, and how a company might go about doing it.

Yup. The implementation is fine, I was just scoped to home users intentionally. In the plex thread I detailed some of how a user might go about it. I still don't, and think most people shouldn't either. Including 99% of people reading this thread.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
If you haven’t run fwknop and accidentally locked yourself out of your boxes save for physical access then you haven’t *nix’d

muskrat
Aug 16, 2004
I'm tired of maintaining FreeNAS on an old PC, so rather than upgrade/reinstall, I am considering just paying some extra money for an appliance such as the QNAP TS-451D2-4G. Any +1s or advice?

This will be my first foray into off-the-shelf NAS appliances. I'll be using it for photos/videos/docs/ISOs, and I'll probably set up a backup to Glacier.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

muskrat posted:

I'm tired of maintaining FreeNAS on an old PC, so rather than upgrade/reinstall, I am considering just paying some extra money for an appliance such as the QNAP TS-451D2-4G. Any +1s or advice?

This will be my first foray into off-the-shelf NAS appliances. I'll be using it for photos/videos/docs/ISOs, and I'll probably set up a backup to Glacier.

No real advice just a comment that I reimaged my FreeNAS to proxmox and was able to just reimport the zfs pools going from the FreeBSD backend to Linux backend.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

What is time intensive about maintaining the freenas setup?

muskrat
Aug 16, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

What is time intensive about maintaining the freenas setup?

4-5 (maybe more?) years ago, I set it up on an old PC I had lying around. The case is falling apart, the fans are breaking, and it's only a matter of time before I need to replace a failed drive. It's sitting in a corner of my living room and isn't attached to any input devices or a monitor, so when it drops off the network (e.g., power outage), troubleshooting is more work than I'd like. I'd also like remote access to my files, the ability to stream shows to my TV/laptop, and a few other features like backup-to-cloud support built-in.

These aren't problems with FreeNAS/ZFS - in fact it's been remarkably stable - but my home-grown solution has basically reached EOL and I'm looking at alternatives.

Admittedly, if I had a rack in a closet hooked up to the network, a monitor, etc. I would probably build a small server and go the home-grown route myself. But even then, I don't know if I'd stick with FreeNAS because I'd like to set up the whole sabnzbd/etc. thing, and I'd prefer to do that in containers.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

muskrat posted:

The case is falling apart, the fans are breaking, and it's only a matter of time before I need to replace a failed drive.

A new case is cheap. Fans inevitably need replacing, as do drives, no matter what solution you go with.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

muskrat posted:

Haven't tried a QNAP but I love my Synology. Switched off FreeNAS when I moved in with a gf and couldn't keep the 4U FreeNAS monster under the bed anymore. Broke up with gf but me and the Syno are still going strong <3

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Welp. The ancient 1TB drive in my mother's DS115j has poo poo the bed. There's a relatively recent data backup on an external equally ancient 1TB drive. But this being a 1 drive enclosure, the configuration is lost, which is going to be a pain in the rear end.

Obviously shouldn't have used drives that were on the wrong end of the bathtub curve at all in the first place.

I'm thinking of maybe putting an ssd in there, since there's no need to up the capacity and because it's quieter. My question is if anyone has experience putting 2.5" drives in 3.5" bays. I suppose I need some bracket or some sort of caddy? Anything else I'm not thinking of that wouldn't make this work?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Flipperwaldt posted:

Welp. The ancient 1TB drive in my mother's DS115j has poo poo the bed. There's a relatively recent data backup on an external equally ancient 1TB drive. But this being a 1 drive enclosure, the configuration is lost, which is going to be a pain in the rear end.

Obviously shouldn't have used drives that were on the wrong end of the bathtub curve at all in the first place.

I'm thinking of maybe putting an ssd in there, since there's no need to up the capacity and because it's quieter. My question is if anyone has experience putting 2.5" drives in 3.5" bays. I suppose I need some bracket or some sort of caddy? Anything else I'm not thinking of that wouldn't make this work?

I've 3d printed brackets but 90% of the time I use a removable adhesive square or two, especially in a device that has a specific mounting point for a 3.5" drive:
https://smile.amazon.com/Scotch-Brand-108-Removable-MOUNTNG/dp/B00099E8DM/

SSDs are so light they can often hang loose in a case but sometimes it's nice to just make sure they don't flop around. Might be worth considering upgrading to a two bay unit so if a single disk fails again it won't take everything with it. SSDs are way more reliable but they can fail.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

My Samsung 860's cases are metal, not plastic, and the anodizing or whatever got all scratched up from moving around inside the case :(

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Bob Morales posted:

My Samsung 860's cases are metal, not plastic, and the anodizing or whatever got all scratched up from moving around inside the case :(

Don't shake the baby.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Rexxed posted:

I've 3d printed brackets but 90% of the time I use a removable adhesive square or two, especially in a device that has a specific mounting point for a 3.5" drive:
https://smile.amazon.com/Scotch-Brand-108-Removable-MOUNTNG/dp/B00099E8DM/

SSDs are so light they can often hang loose in a case but sometimes it's nice to just make sure they don't flop around. Might be worth considering upgrading to a two bay unit so if a single disk fails again it won't take everything with it. SSDs are way more reliable but they can fail.
If I had the things on hand here to see how that would work in practice. But there's a chance I'll have to talk my mom through putting the drive in there due to covid hellworld concerns, in which case I feel more confident the bracket will provide a more positive "(not) in there properly" distinction, maybe. It's 10€ in any case and shouldn't contain any electronics as far as I understand.

A two bay unit is an interesting notion, but it's like another 250€ (enclosure+drive) on top just for uptime considerations. A couple of days downtime like we're going to have now isn't really an issue. I just looked it up and it seems you can export the configuration to a file. That's what I should have done and will do in the future.

Thanks, both fair shouts though.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

You mean all that extra paint? The new cooling fins?

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

muskrat posted:

4-5 (maybe more?) years ago, I set it up on an old PC I had lying around. The case is falling apart, the fans are breaking, and it's only a matter of time before I need to replace a failed drive. It's sitting in a corner of my living room and isn't attached to any input devices or a monitor, so when it drops off the network (e.g., power outage), troubleshooting is more work than I'd like. I'd also like remote access to my files, the ability to stream shows to my TV/laptop, and a few other features like backup-to-cloud support built-in.

These aren't problems with FreeNAS/ZFS - in fact it's been remarkably stable - but my home-grown solution has basically reached EOL and I'm looking at alternatives.

Admittedly, if I had a rack in a closet hooked up to the network, a monitor, etc. I would probably build a small server and go the home-grown route myself. But even then, I don't know if I'd stick with FreeNAS because I'd like to set up the whole sabnzbd/etc. thing, and I'd prefer to do that in containers.

The only thing I'd point out is Docker support in TrueNAS SCALE- though that's not a completely released product at this moment. Worth a thought if you're still considering touching computers.

(that or use Unraid, but that's a pay-for OS without builtin ZFS support)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hello everyone! Just a quick note to help out the folks who browse by bookmarks. We've started a SH/SC feedback thread and would love it if you stopped by to say hi and let us know what you think.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3961558

muskrat
Aug 16, 2004

SolusLunes posted:

The only thing I'd point out is Docker support in TrueNAS SCALE- though that's not a completely released product at this moment. Worth a thought if you're still considering touching computers.

(that or use Unraid, but that's a pay-for OS without builtin ZFS support)

Hadn't heard of it. Thanks for the info.

I'll take a look at the Synology boxes too. Thanks all for the recommendations.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
As someone who migrated from 9.x plug-ins to 10.x docker support to the 11.x decrepit rancherOS VM generator to now just finally rolling my own VM for containers I hope whatever k8s/docker thing they got going for SCALE works out. Had that lovely rancherOS vm held up another few months I might have just tried migrating to SCALE.

At least the compose yamls I generated for rancher mostly Just Worked with podman + podman-compose.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Flipperwaldt posted:

If I had the things on hand here to see how that would work in practice. But there's a chance I'll have to talk my mom through putting the drive in there due to covid hellworld concerns, in which case I feel more confident the bracket will provide a more positive "(not) in there properly" distinction, maybe. It's 10€ in any case and shouldn't contain any electronics as far as I understand.

A two bay unit is an interesting notion, but it's like another 250€ (enclosure+drive) on top just for uptime considerations. A couple of days downtime like we're going to have now isn't really an issue. I just looked it up and it seems you can export the configuration to a file. That's what I should have done and will do in the future.

Thanks, both fair shouts though.

Be certain that the 2.5" to 3.5" adapter you get her will orient the disk so the connectors are where they would be on a 3.5" disk if you're trying to replace like for like since a lot of them are just a piece of metal that holds it in a drive bay and the exact location doesn't matter. The NAS might have a solidly mounted sata connector for the disk (I've seen several that do but it's possible it's a cable). Something like this is a little over engineered and I wouldn't recommend it normally, but in this case it does give the SSD the form factor of a larger disk:
https://smile.amazon.com/ICY-DOCK-EZConvert-Tool-Less-Converter/dp/B002B4HHZ4/

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Rexxed posted:

Be certain that the 2.5" to 3.5" adapter you get her will orient the disk so the connectors are where they would be on a 3.5" disk if you're trying to replace like for like since a lot of them are just a piece of metal that holds it in a drive bay and the exact location doesn't matter. The NAS might have a solidly mounted sata connector for the disk (I've seen several that do but it's possible it's a cable). Something like this is a little over engineered and I wouldn't recommend it normally, but in this case it does give the SSD the form factor of a larger disk:
Yeah the connector is fixed in the ds115j, no cable. The sabrent adapter linked in my earlier post is a similar one in that it has its own correctly placed sata connectors that it then passes through to the centrally mounted drive. It's just not a complete box with lid like the icy dock there. Someone in the reviews mentioned a synology ds specifically, so fingers crossed. Some of the regular metal brackets looked like they could work, but were indeed too ambiguous about it.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Rexxed posted:

Another style where you do have to turn a screwdriver to mount the drive, but I feel is better overall:

https://smile.amazon.com/NewerTech-AdaptaDrive-Drive-Converter-Bracket/dp/B005PZDVF6/

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
A variation on the "use double sided tape" idea is just to screw in a single screw into one mount hole to hold the 2.5in drive in the 3.5in bay. Basically just keep it from wild movements.

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 10, 2021

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
You forgot the chainsmoking guy asking if you are going to come on sunday for D&D. Right next to the pet spider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

the Sword of Datacles