Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Let's play a game! It's called how many sidequests are in this area:

Not sure? Let's take a closer look!

Okay once more, a little closer!

If you answered 2, you're wrong!

If you anwered "gently caress this game and it's stupid sidequest design," you're a winner!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Oh gently caress me there are sidequests in there????

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Rascyc posted:

Were the side quests in the previous games always this bad with the back and forth? I've played the past games and I honestly can't remember. A lot of me thinks it's just the load times driving me up the wall.

Really enjoying this otherwise, the new spins on the equipment system are really good IMO. I remember a lot of doom and gloom during the demo about weight and junk but it seems rather painless to me.

Big shoutout to the expedition system giving me lots of large of JP orbs in the past few days. I bypassed a lot of the grinding of freelancer for the 1.7 JP abilities by just playing the game infrequently :>

They really weren't. Sidequests in the previous games were where you went to get the jobs you didn't get along the main story route or basically just for the challenge and rare steals from the bosses in the back half of the first game. None of them had this stupid back and forth BS that i agree is really dumb.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Eopia posted:

Hey, so I never managed to get through Bravely Second and I kinda want to know what happens in it before I play this, does anyone know of any decent Let's Plays for it?

Assuming nothing crazy happens I think this he story has nothing to do with the first two games, if that's your concern.

Also a plot related question, does Seth ever like... become a character or something? He just... exists.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
I guess I've played enough MMOs and I'm willing to accept some things more than most people but the side quests aren't a burden to me as far as running back and forth. I would like to have a checklist, though, or some way to know how many are left in each town.

That being said I've started chapter 2 and I'm immediately introduced to three characters whom all have Asterisks and two of my own characters are almost done mastering Freelancer. Barehanded looks to be a really nice way to make carrying weight not an issue and I'm wondering if I'll only get rid of it when I need that ability slot. I was also able to do the card game to pick up the side quest Asterisk and don't see me using it or playing the card game again (unless I get more non-card game things).

Caidin posted:

Assuming nothing crazy happens I think this he story has nothing to do with the first two games, if that's your concern.

Also a plot related question, does Seth ever like... become a character or something? He just... exists.

I feel like there's a trope with fantasy games where your main character is generic or an outsider to allow the game to explain to you what should be common knowledge. Bartz from FFV, Tidus from FFX, Vaan from FFXII, both characters from FFTA and FFTA2. I do like his sailing background comes up in soundbites, like when he digs up an item, or tells a ghost story.

do u believe in marigolds fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 2, 2021

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Harrow posted:

Yeah, though their power wasn't in raw numbers. It was in getting everyone their BP revenge passive and then having one person as a Red Mage spam-poisoning your team to fill up their BP. Definitely extremely powerful but not in the "powerful offensive spellcaster" sense they seem capable of in BD2.

Red Mage was my preferred BP battery in the first game, I had a blast with that

Offensive spellcasters didn't exist past about the mid-game in either of the previous games because of the way the damage cap worked and the fact you didn't get any multi-hit magic stuff like you do with dual/quad wielding and other multi-hit physical skills. The damage cap removes a ton of design space and really sucks and I have no idea why game designers are still obsessed with a technical limit from the old FF games.

Like hmmm, should I hit 4x for 9999 damage for 1 BP or 1x for 9999 damage. Real tough call there.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Zore posted:

Offensive spellcasters didn't exist past about the mid-game in either of the previous games because of the way the damage cap worked and the fact you didn't get any multi-hit magic stuff like you do with dual/quad wielding and other multi-hit physical skills. The damage cap removes a ton of design space and really sucks and I have no idea why game designers are still obsessed with a technical limit from the old FF games.

Like hmmm, should I hit 4x for 9999 damage for 1 BP or 1x for 9999 damage. Real tough call there.

Did you not experience the glory of the Wizard in Bravely Second? Spellcraft was some serious poo poo!

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Spellcraft Benediction means you never died.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

there are too many sidequests in this game

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just got Bard and looking at it's ability just I don't really see anything that looks special. But you say this is pretty powerful?

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

^^^^ The buffs are extremely strong, hit the whole party and stack with stuff like Shell and Protect. Two casts of one of the damage reductions buffs is 30% less damage to your whole party, which is a big deal.

Caidin posted:

Did you not experience the glory of the Wizard in Bravely Second? Spellcraft was some serious poo poo!

The Wizard had the Rain modifier which allowed magic classes to take part in the 4x 9999 hits bullshit. My late-game party was all about spamming Meteor Rain.

Bravely Second in general had a ton of really interesting jobs like Exorcist and Guardian, hopefully the later ones for this game are as cool as those.

Ojetor fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 2, 2021

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I wonder how many jobs there are in general. I'm up to Bard and I'm thinking about how Bravely Second just had Too Many Classes (and that was fun) but everything so far is just kinda bog standard. I want some freaking weirdos like being a crazy cat person.

Also super not feeling the cast so far. Fully acknowledge it's *chapter 1* but everyone just feels :effort: so far. Every conversation is just
Seth: :blank:
Gloria: I am very nice (or) The Crystals
Evlis: Where is the Food and the Drink
Adella: Ooooh Elvis!!! You!!!

I enjoyed Tiz and the gang and again, early on but just feels kinda phoned in at the moment. Also having enemies already throwing -ra spells at me makes me feel like I'm further along than I actually am. Hell Elvis is already casting -ga's and I'm used to seeing those at the ends of these games.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
From what I've heard the class you get from Adam is basically if Spell Fencer and Dark Knight had a baby

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Just claimed the Thief asterisk and, is it just me or did Gloria just game the unofficial asterisk rules by choosing to come along quietly to prison, since the guards can't take away our asterisks without an asterisk battle with the special music?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Welp just found the card game. RIP main quest.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
fighting the urge to drag the switch into bed and spam combats for 3 hours while listening to podcasts instead of sleeping

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ytlaya posted:

This is my experience as well. BLM does kind of disappointing damage unless I'm hitting a weakness with an -aga spell.

Same. I can burn 60+mp for a 3-400damage -aga spell or 99mp for a 1500 damage monk skill, or 1bp for 1k or so damage and just have someone do that 2x for their first action in random battles to blow through trash at breakneck speed.

Sep 13, 2007

Impermanent posted:

fighting the urge to drag the switch into bed and spam combats for 3 hours while listening to podcasts instead of sleeping

Don't fret, get your sleep and let your little adventurers go sailing!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Natural 20 posted:

If you anwered "gently caress this game and it's stupid sidequest design," you're a winner!

Wait, when do those show up??

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ojetor posted:

^^^^ The buffs are extremely strong, hit the whole party and stack with stuff like Shell and Protect. Two casts of one of the damage reductions buffs is 30% less damage to your whole party, which is a big deal.

That doesn't seem like that much! I guess I just never have found buffs or debuffs interesting

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I've not played a Bravely game before and I'm kinda sad at just how hard this feels. I don't like that the enemies are running away from me in the world but the boss battles require me to just use everything.
I wish Casual made it genuinely actually easy so I could see the cool classes and the game but not have to do super long fights.

I did the (chapter 1 stuff) bard fight and that was hard enough but the beastmaster took me ages and I just don't have the patience for that sorta thing.

I've played loads of JRPGs and this is the first big name one that just doesn't click for me. The whole brave/default thing sucks and I really don't like storing up actions.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Taear posted:

I've not played a Bravely game before and I'm kinda sad at just how hard this feels. I don't like that the enemies are running away from me in the world but the boss battles require me to just use everything.
I wish Casual made it genuinely actually easy so I could see the cool classes and the game but not have to do super long fights.

I did the (chapter 1 stuff) bard fight and that was hard enough but the beastmaster took me ages and I just don't have the patience for that sorta thing.

I've played loads of JRPGs and this is the first big name one that just doesn't click for me. The whole brave/default thing sucks and I really don't like storing up actions.

Random battles are about beating the enemies as quickly as possible. The game lets you brave as many times as you want even if it puts you in a deficit, use that to clear out trash mobs quickly. Bosses definitely require more strategy, you’ll want to build up BP so your characters aren’t stuck being unable to do anything for several turns. Don’t be afraid to reload and readjust your abilities & equipment before fighting the boss again. But the game always gives you the tools to defeat bosses, you just have to figure out which ones to use.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

One thing that can make life a lot easier in chapter 1 is stacking up accessories, which are mega-powerful at that stage. Like putting two Star Pendants on your healer is +1000 HP and more healing power on top of that. Or putting two Flame Talismans on a Monk with the bare-fisted passive equipped is almost +40 attack power. It's really striking how much raw power accessories provide.

That said, if you just plain aren't enjoying the Brave/Default system at its core, it's probably not going to get more fun for you. The game's pretty insistent on the player using it heavily. One thing that might be worth noting is that you can go into a BP deficit and sometimes that's actually okay to do (especially in random battles), and as you go through the game you'll also get more ways to gain BP other than Defaulting.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 2, 2021

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Attack items are very potent early game, especially in asterisk fights where they have a bunch of monsters fighting alongside them.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Natural 20 posted:

Why is there so many really dumb choices that only serve to annoy the user? I'd tolerate it out of FF1, but there have been 34 years of upgrades since then.

I want to get the game but then crap like this turns me away.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Random battles are about beating the enemies as quickly as possible. The game lets you brave as many times as you want even if it puts you in a deficit, use that to clear out trash mobs quickly. Bosses definitely require more strategy, you’ll want to build up BP so your characters aren’t stuck being unable to do anything for several turns. Don’t be afraid to reload and readjust your abilities & equipment before fighting the boss again. But the game always gives you the tools to defeat bosses, you just have to figure out which ones to use.

I'm 10 hours in, I know how it works. I just don't like it, my mind doesn't work like that and I really can't plan ahead. Especially since it doesn't tell me who is going next!
If I can't play entirely in the moment I can't play - which is why normally I just play these games on easy but "easy" here isn't actually easy.

I genuinely don't want to spend time learning how to beat a boss, I just wanna move on. It reminds me a bit of pillars of eternity 1 - before it had story mode changing the difficulty just lowered the density of the mobs and it wasn't enough, I want to breeze through this fight and play the game now thanks

Taear fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 2, 2021

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The Beast master fight really made me realize I don't like how the counter system is implemented tbh.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Taear posted:

I'm 10 hours in, I know how it works. I just don't like it, my mind doesn't work like that and I really can't plan ahead. Especially since it doesn't tell me who is going next!
If I can't play entirely in the moment I can't play - which is why normally I just play these games on easy but "easy" here isn't actually easy.

I genuinely don't want to spend time learning how to beat a boss, I just wanna move on.

TBH, I did a similar? thing with the superbosses in Bravely Default, I just read a guide on ninja/dragoon spam, put it on autobattle after entering the commands and did something else for half an hour.

with how many games I have, just gimme the story and the experience and onto the next game

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The Beast master fight really made me realize I don't like how the counter system is implemented tbh.

Yea I really don't like it either. Randomly the only way you're able to attack is going to get your entire party hit for 400 damage, hope it doesn't happen three times in a row!
It'd be fine if everyone had different ways to engage the enemies but the game doesn't really let you do that so if it counters physical (or counters when you cast white magic, lets say) I dunno what it really wants me to do other than take the hit.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The game does sort of tell you who's going to go next, but it's incomplete information by design. The bars under your characters' names/HP/MP are pseudo-ATB meters that let you know which of your characters is up next, and if an enemy is up soon, you see the little caution sign over them. But it's not a full turn order tracker.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yeah if there's one thing I'm not liking about this game's difficulty so far, it's the counters the bosses have. It seems like as you get further into the game, every boss has an absolutely brutal counter to just about anything that actually works against them, and you're just not going to know until you try doing that thing--but also because they counter everything that works against them, you just kinda have to deal with it? Maybe it gets better later but it just seems like a really annoying way to design a boss.

It'd be one thing if it was an element of boss design that you have to strategize around, but bosses have such a wide range of actions they counter that it seems like there's no real way to actually avoid the counters. At that point just give the boss extra turns and be done with it, that'd be a less frustrating way to accomplish the same thing (letting bosses hit you more often than their BP normally allows).

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Harrow posted:

It'd be one thing if it was an element of boss design that you have to strategize around, but bosses have such a wide range of actions they counter that it seems like there's no real way to actually avoid the counters. At that point just give the boss extra turns and be done with it, that'd be a less frustrating way to accomplish the same thing (letting bosses hit you more often than their BP normally allows).

The beastmaster boss just made me freeze up, there's so much going on and so much you have to do that it stops being "fun strategy" to me and just becomes a slog.
Undine only takes 40 damage from Thundara even though it's weak to it. Why? Dunno. It's not defaulting, it's just hovering about, so why?

The boss fights feel so removed from how the rest of the game works, I guess

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

To expand on that, I understand what the counter system is trying to achieve. Final Fantasy IX does the same thing: it allows bosses (and some strong normal enemies) to counter a wide range of player moves with specific moves of their own as a way of giving them extra actions during combat. It's less obvious in FFIX because the game doesn't show you a little "Counter: X thing" pop-up when it happens. If you don't notice what's going on, it just looks like bosses have a sky-high speed stat and get a lot of turns.

It feels worse in Bravely Default 2 because it shows you what's happening (it kinda has to, because the boss is often acting in the middle of your chain of Brave actions), it shows you what type of action the boss is countering (which is what gives you that "I did something wrong, better avoid that type of action" feedback), and it also allows them to interrupt your turn, which still eats all the BP you spent. It feels like the game is punishing you hard for doing something wrong when there actually isn't a right thing to do, and all the game's really doing is letting the boss get extra turns without just giving them a passive that gives them two BP per turn instead of one or something.

Again I'm not super far into the game yet but it seems like it'd just be less frustrating and accomplish the same thing if they did just give bosses extra BP every turn.

Then again, maybe I just need to change my perspective. Maybe it'll be better if I stop thinking of counters as "avoid doing X or the boss will do Y" and instead think of them as "be ready for the boss to do Y when you do X."

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 2, 2021

MyushiVerSCOOTY
Jan 22, 2004

The boss counters give you a reason to use alternate jobs. The painter was giving me trouble because she countered white and black magic, so I swapped my spellcasters over to red mage and beastmaster.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I'm still for now enjoying the crazy imbalance but it does seem off when the enemies are literally running away from you 'cause you're too high level then the boss right next to them kicks your rear end something fierce.

I've actually stocked up on Phoenix Downs just 'cause they heal more than potions and perform double-duty on the Freelancers when they have a chance to survive at 1HP.

I like knowing the boss' HPs because twice now I've pushed everyone to -3 BP just to squeeze past that finish line, but it's gonna suck whenever that doesn't pan out.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Taear posted:

I genuinely don't want to spend time learning how to beat a boss, I just wanna move on. It reminds me a bit of pillars of eternity 1 - before it had story mode changing the difficulty just lowered the density of the mobs and it wasn't enough, I want to breeze through this fight and play the game now thanks

This is clearly not the game for you, then. Part of the appeal of Bravely Default and Bravely Second was the difficult boss fights, at least for me. A lot of it was figuring out ways to break the game by doing ridiculous amounts of damage or giving all of your characters max BP every turn.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Ugh, I still don't understand how games like this feel like the whole (spoilers for incredibly common and overused RPG trope) ally dying right in front of you from a wound that there's no way for you to possibly cure despite the fact that one of your party members has white magic equipped, can cast everything from Curaga to Arise, have a backpack full of healing items, etc. It's not like the enemies are pulling punches! I've had characters die multiple times in a single fight to attacks that are so much more deadly than the love taps that you got in a cutscene!

Otherwise I've been enjoying the game. Killing the optional overworld bosses and getting their crazy gear does kind of break the story quest difficulty, but that's somewhat expected.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Wow the Thief mastery passive that makes BP skills cost MP instead + Beastmaster's Off the Chain skill is some real sicko mode poo poo.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Infinite JP in ch 3:

In the ice dungeon, there is a room with 3 chests and a bunch of slippery ice platforms leading up to them. The topmost chest has an encounter with 2 of the rarespawn metal slime enemies (wig wig?). Equip some thieves with spearhead, magpie, and rob blind, 4x steal for a chance at getting small and medium JP orbs, then flee which will reset the battle an unlimited number of times. edit: it's actually small EXP orbs and med job orbs

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 2, 2021

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

BabyRyoga posted:

Infinite JP in ch 3:

In the ice dungeon, there is a room with 3 chests and a bunch of slippery ice platforms leading up to them. The topmost chest has an encounter with 2 of the rarespawn metal slime enemies (wig wig?). Equip some thieves with spearhead, magpie, and rob blind, 4x steal for a chance at getting small and medium JP orbs, then flee which will reset the battle an unlimited number of times.

To add to this, this is absolutely fantastic for upgrading Gambler since you bypass its whole bullshit about getting 0 or 15x rewards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sep 13, 2007
This is definitely spoiler territory but is there anything unique to steal from bosses? I haven't been able to steal from anything and I'm curious if it's worth it (particularly for one of a kind gear).