Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

so I skipped a lot of pages in the middle did ry say how he eats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Spookydonut posted:

Given he has no other place to live in while he converts something into something he can live in, I think anything that doesn't begin as habitable is a distraction right now.

Look at the current state of the box truck. He could sleep on the loving roof and be better off. It would take a wrench and an hour to remove a bunch of seats and have a flat space to live and be better off that the current situation.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

the paradigm shift posted:

Given how he seems to focus on the CO2 and water from his exhaust, I'm guessing like a plant.

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

luminalflux posted:

Dude's catalytic converter has a window in it by the sounds of it. He needs someone who knows what they're doing (i e not PFC Schmuckatelli from the motor pool) to fix the exhaust.

This is not a suggestion post for Ry as it sounds super dangerous even to me, a not car guts toucher.

But one of you smarter car goons should totally make a catalytic converter with a real window in it. Those things sound like cool pollution eating magic, maybe they look cool when they work too who knows man

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Wonder how the toilet EVE goons are reacting to all this. Legit could see them egging him on.

Either way, thread went from :five: to :one: in the blink of an eye. Don't die, Ry guy. Fix your loving exhaust, or just get rid of grovertruk and live like a functioning human for a little while, as you can clearly afford it (and if you can't, sell your $3000 telescope ffs).

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

inkmoth posted:

This is not a suggestion post for Ry as it sounds super dangerous even to me, a not car guts toucher.

But one of you smarter car goons should totally make a catalytic converter with a real window in it. Those things sound like cool pollution eating magic, maybe they look cool when they work too who knows man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekQcy6GN1pM

They do look cool as gently caress.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.
Look. Im not getting rid of the GroverTruk unless it just flat out dies beyond repair. Even then, I'm not going to go after an ambulance or a skoolie. They don't meet my needs. I have no intention of idling a vehicle to charge my batteries except as an emergency situation, and I'd rip all the cabinets and such out of an ambulance to insulate it. For a bus the amount of windows and it being encase in metal (only the roof is metal in the box of GroverTruk) make them wasteful to heat. Most earthships designs I've seen call for only 30-40% windows. The GroverTruk will be roughly at that and it's more insulated than an ambulance or typical skoolie.

The only option I see that's better than a box truck for me is an encased trailer and a pickup. Unfortunately, price wise GroverTruk was cheaper than the enclosed trailer-truck combo, and I needed to do something to keep my sanity. As someone mentioned earlier about living with my boss. Having a place of my own to come home to and relax is something I had for over a decade of my life. I use to shelter people when they were down trodden. Now I can't. That has been eating me for a while. Even right before moving in with my boss I was housing a co-worker through a divorce.

I have lived In GroverTruk for over 5 months now and I am starting to get that dignity back and to me thats more important than twiddling my thumbs doing nothing. I am proud to sleep under a roof surrounded my 4 walls that I insulated and to be toasty warm under my covers moreso than I can in the house that wastes incredible amounts of energy for a puff of heat. I have survived the fall and bulk of the winter in this thing without much issue.

Yes, I will extend the bloody exhaust. Now that I know that I'm returning it to stock, I don't have any reservations about the performance, and it will assuage yals concerns that there may be lingering co or that I may forget to stay out of the vehicle while idling.

GroverTruk is my ride til it dies. The only better option would be a pickup + enclosed trailer for me.

Also not getting rid of the telescope. That thing is going to last me and keep me happy for many years to come.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Mar 2, 2021

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
op took a month and 50 pages of posts telling him to stop being a dumbass before he decided that dying of asphyxiation was in fact not a pro gamer move

perfect thread voting 5 every day for the rest of my life

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

A (stock location) dump in front of and off to the side of the rear axle is probably your best bet in terms of getting exhaust gases out where you want them, seeing how the back of the truk is wide open.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
for real op this project is cool as poo poo and i love these things but please listen to the people who know what theyre doing so you dont die

the laws of physics do not care about your excuses about how things will be totally fine honest

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Drone posted:

Wonder how the toilet EVE goons are reacting to all this. Legit could see them egging him on.

Either way, thread went from :five: to :one: in the blink of an eye. Don't die, Ry guy. Fix your loving exhaust, or just get rid of grovertruk and live like a functioning human for a little while, as you can clearly afford it (and if you can't, sell your $3000 telescope ffs).

We are saying the same things as everyone in this thread except not being assholes about it and also he should put Motronic on ignore because it makes the forums instantly 50-75% better in general.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

Elviscat posted:

A (stock location) dump in front of and off to the side of the rear axle is probably your best bet in terms of getting exhaust gases out where you want them, seeing how the back of the truk is wide open.

Like instead of the stock option up over the axle and out the side behind the tire have it infront of the tire?

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Just have it exhaust to the side and not to the back by the tailgaite

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Rytheric posted:

Like instead of the stock option up over the axle and out the side behind the tire have it infront of the tire?

Oh, no, whatever the stock location was is probably best, out behind the rear axle should be good.

The more stick-out away from the truk body you can get is best, ideally you'd go for a stack that goes all the way over the top of the box, but that's probably impractical

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Digital Prophet posted:

We are saying the same things as everyone in this thread except not being assholes about it and also he should put Motronic on ignore because it makes the forums instantly 50-75% better in general.

Except for when people were trying to tell me that I could run power tools off my inverter without considering what It would do to my battery. That wasn't cool and the toilet Evers were like wtf too.

Everything else has been okay. I just didn't consider the fumes a big deal because I didn't see it ever happening or how much co was produced. All someone had to do was link quantified numbers of what comes out. Rather than telling me what it does. As dumb as it was. That was my logic. Shouting it louder isn't really a good technique of persuasion.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I’d love to see a bosozoku stack though.

But seriously listen to elviscat

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Elviscat posted:

Oh, no, whatever the stock location was is probably best, out behind the rear axle should be good.

The more stick-out away from the truk body you can get is best, ideally you'd go for a stack that goes all the way over the top of the box, but that's probably impractical

Lol. Motronic and I already went over the implications of a stack combined with my maxaire fan going.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

the paradigm shift posted:

I have 3 modes of eating. Which I seem to cycle through.

1. Nothing but fresh fruits and veggies.
2. Huel
3. $20-$40 of kfc or bojangles a day.

None of these options require refrigeration, so I don't account for it. I've been fridge free for 4 years now.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Rytheric posted:

Lol. Motronic and I already went over the implications of a stack combined with my maxaire fan going.

It's an inevitable consequence of living in a box truck, that there's no perfect solution.

RV's have their generators exhaust straight out the side, so as long as you can get it away from that leaky floor you should be fine.

You've already said you do, but it bears repeating that no matter what you do with it you should always be cautious with how much time you spend in the box with the engine running, never, ever fall asleep with it running, and keep the CO detector in good working order, because as people have pointed our CO exposure can kill and cause brain damage pretty easily, even with an exhaust dump out the side, the wind turning the wrong direction can cause problems, and a 5.4L Ford V8 from the 90's creates a lot of exhaust fumes.

The ideal solution, of course, would be using a small inverter generator located 20+ feet away from the Truk, connected with a good quality and gauge extension cord, to charge your battery and run loads that would be of immense help to your house building project, but we all know how you feel about that.

When/if you get the/a property, your first priority should be getting a temporary "construction" service drop to it, so that you can obviate all these problems and just run the Truk's electrical system (for what it is) off the grid, and only worry about setting yourself on fire, instead of dying of CO poisoning in your sleep.

E: and so you can run a fridge and eat like a normal 21st century person, goddamn.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Rytheric posted:

Everything else has been okay. I just didn't consider the fumes a big deal because I didn't see it ever happening or how much co was produced. All someone had to do was link quantified numbers of what comes out. Rather than telling me what it does. As dumb as it was. That was my logic. Shouting it louder isn't really a good technique of persuasion.
You're too dense for "quantified numbers" to be of any value, and besides, you'd just do a Google search and find a reason why THOSE NUMBERS ARE ACTUALLY TOTALLY FINE GUYS BECAUSE REASONS.

We're pretty much at the stage where the value of the advice given here is that the archived version of this thread can be referenced after your death to shortcut explaining things longhand to the next person to come along with a similar idea.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Also, I'm not like judging, because I'm not exactly as trim as I once was, and I certainly indulge in convenient foods occasionally, especially considering my current situation may be worse than living in a Truk, but having the option to store food and cook normal/simple protein/starch/vegetable meals for yourself might be a good thing for your health and weight, and cut down on your impulse to binge on fast food, without relying on fady stuff like huel.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Rytheric posted:

2. Huel

None of these options require refrigeration, so I don't account for it. I've been fridge free for 4 years now.

Lmao

$20-$40 of fast food a day is just...

I mean, just lmao

At this point, I'm like 85-90% sure this is a bullshit story because I'd like to hope you aren't really this financially irresponsible. $20-40 on fast food, $3000 on telescopes, and $10k on a piece of piece of poo poo land! Borrowed from your 401k to boot!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

they have a harbor freight anywhere near you? because they have inverter generators for $500 and regular ones for $350, and either of those at the end of a 50-foot extension cord would be way, way better than whatever the gently caress is currently happening

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Rytheric posted:

Look. Im not getting rid of the GroverTruk unless it just flat out dies beyond repair. Even then, I'm not going to go after an ambulance or a skoolie. They don't meet my needs. I have no intention of idling a vehicle to charge my batteries except as an emergency situation, and I'd rip all the cabinets and such out of an ambulance to insulate it. For a bus the amount of windows and it being encase in metal (only the roof is metal in the box of GroverTruk) make them wasteful to heat. Most earthships designs I've seen call for only 30-40% windows. The GroverTruk will be roughly at that and it's more insulated than an ambulance or typical skoolie.

The only option I see that's better than a box truck for me is an encased trailer and a pickup. Unfortunately, price wise GroverTruk was cheaper than the enclosed trailer-truck combo, and I needed to do something to keep my sanity. As someone mentioned earlier about living with my boss. Having a place of my own to come home to and relax is something I had for over a decade of my life. I use to shelter people when they were down trodden. Now I can't. That has been eating me for a while. Even right before moving in with my boss I was housing a co-worker through a divorce.

I have lived In GroverTruk for over 5 months now and I am starting to get that dignity back and to me thats more important than twiddling my thumbs doing nothing. I am proud to sleep under a roof surrounded my 4 walls that I insulated and to be toasty warm under my covers moreso than I can in the house that wastes incredible amounts of energy for a puff of heat. I have survived the fall and bulk of the winter in this thing without much issue.

Yes, I will extend the bloody exhaust. Now that I know that I'm returning it to stock, I don't have any reservations about the performance, and it will assuage yals concerns that there may be lingering co or that I may forget to stay out of the vehicle while idling.

GroverTruk is my ride til it dies. The only better option would be a pickup + enclosed trailer for me.

Also not getting rid of the telescope. That thing is going to last me and keep me happy for many years to come.

4 walls?

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

OMGVBFLOL posted:

they have a harbor freight anywhere near you? because they have inverter generators for $500 and regular ones for $350, and either of those at the end of a 50-foot extension cord would be way, way better than whatever the gently caress is currently happening

Woah there buddy too much noise.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

"Look if you had just given me quantifiable numbers about how much piss I could expect down here at the bottom of this piss well, that would have worked. That was my logic. Shouting 'wtf are you doing down in that well that is slowly filling up with piss?!' isn't really a good technique of persuasion."

Rytheric posted:

2. Huel

lol.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

The “bedroom” wall. I had the same reaction at first.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I hope it really is just some goon who found an abandoned truck, made a bunch of photos, and is now having fun with it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'd say no one would put that much effort into something so dumb, but he also says he plays eve so it all ties up.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Why are we talking about insulation when you don’t even have a door on the back of your box truck? It’s insulated because you built a tiny closet in back of it. You could build the same closet in the back of a bus or whatever else.

Even if you’re dead set on a box truck, you can buy one that isn’t as old and isn’t loaded with problems in its basic drivability

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Why are your so attached to GroverTruk, Ry? Honest question, like, it's a money pit and you should sell it, but you're not gonna. We're accepting that(as long as you are safe please be safe) Tell us why!

Are the bones of an ancient astrological/defecatory tribe welded to the undercarriage? Does your soul reside in the engine while your mortal coil is forced to toil endlessly on the containment vessel?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Same reason he's attached to this poo poo piece of land.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rytheric posted:

I have no intention of idling a vehicle to charge my batteries except as an emergency situation

Realtalk: you are homeless. Any time it's cold out it's an emergency. Any time you need your cpap it's an emergency.

Rytheric posted:

Except for when people were trying to tell me that I could run power tools off my inverter without considering what It would do to my battery. That wasn't cool and the toilet Evers were like wtf too.

This is, again, where you don't have the reading comprehension to understand the advice being given. You were told you could charge batteries for tools using your inverter. Not to run corded power tools.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Apparently I'm a glutton for punishment so I'm going to go down a list of the recommendations we gave and what I think your reason for not doing them is. Please correct me where I'm misguided or incorrect:

The Three Main Characters
The Land
We seem to have convinced you that The Land is a scam (for future reference, if the price changes wildly when talking to people about it, it's a scam)
- The Land is tabled "for now" (note: I'm pretty sure you are trying to go through with the purchase, you're just not telling us know because our rejection of your vision vis a vis purchasing "The Land" is so complete.)

The Telescope
The Telescope was $2000 and "accidentally" purchased via funding provided by "a loan shark"
- The Telescope should be sold to fund things like "a safe place to live" (note: if you were able to secure a monthly payment plan via a loan shark, calling the telescope purchase "accidental" is disingenuous. There were lots of places to exit that particular highway.)

The Truck
The Truck is priceless and won't be sold/scrapped/rolled into a river to collect the insurance money
- The Truck is a poor example of a poor vintage of a used up commercial vehicle and is not worth fixing.

Specific Examples:
The exhaust is broken but you keep coming up with reasons why you don't need to fix it (more venting, not running it etc etc). Let me just say clearly for historical evidence This is a bad idea. You will die if you don't fix the exhaust. Even a cheap fix with flex pipe and clamps from Autozone is better than doing nothing You may have come around to fixing the exhaust (or stopped telling us about it)

The truck won't idle at red lights. You've tried shotgunning (i.e. throwing all kinds of parts in random directions) to fix that but it's not fixed. This indicates that it's beyond your ability. Hell, it's probably beyond mine too (though I'm inclined to believe you have Transmission Problems) I think you're still working to fix this.

It hasn't been gone over too much given all the other stuff in this thread, but your electricity "situation" is hilariously (though it's not funny at all) unsafe.

The suspension is broken. Multiple people in this thread have told you that suspensions can kill (they can) and if you aren't careful or know what you're doing (you're not) you'll die. Again, for historical evidence: working with large springs under compression with multiple tons of vehicle under them can and will kill you. Do not do it. You've also dropped this subject after saying something about bringing it to a shop to get fixed. Again, I think you might just be not telling us and planning on working on it on your own anyway.

Reasons given why you won't do things a more recommended way

Power: A Generator is "too noisy" even though we've shown you multiple ways to safely make a generator quieter (get an inverter generator, get a high quality extension cord and place the generator a few feet away from your sleeping area

Sleeping: You say that a schoolie or RV won't work for you because of the insulation and have a few times in the thread mention Earthships. For those who don't know an Earthship is a way of building a house that uses up-cycled and natural resources for construction and insulation. If you're thinking a Hobbit House you're on the right track. Let me be perfectly clear: the back of a clapped out box truck will never be an Earthship unless you bury it..

Hygiene: You don't like pooping inside and are fixated on an outside privy. Honestly this should be gone over more, but there's a whole lot more pressing things going on in this thread. Modern plumbing is hygienic and safer (from a Cholera point of view) than pooping in a hole, no matter how far away from your bedroom you are. If your leavings are such that you feel it necessary to potty outside, you should take a good long look at your diet.

There's more, but I think that covers the main points. Please correct me where I am incorrect.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Do you have any numbers to back that up? He won't listen to us unless you have some numbers backing it up.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Fermented Tinal posted:

Do you have any numbers to back that up? He won't listen to us unless you have some numbers backing it up.

Let's see, how about :

That should be enough numbers.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

beep-beep car is go posted:

If your leavings are such that you feel it necessary to potty outside, you should take a good long look at your diet.

The man admitted to subsisting on a diet heavy in Huel and KFC. Both of those inflict untold horrors upon my digestive tract, so maybe you're on to something with this being the reasoning behind him wanting an outhouse.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Drone posted:

The man admitted to subsisting on a diet heavy in Huel and KFC. Both of those inflict untold horrors upon my digestive tract, so maybe you're on to something with this being the reasoning behind him wanting an outhouse.

Movements so mighty no man-made machination can stand against them.

The GroverPile may only be contained by the Earth itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Holy poo poo, look at this 1996 E350 just waiting for someone to RVify and live inside it:
http://usedfromus.com/ford-ads/522238-1996-ford-e350-73-diesel-van-4x4.html

7.3L Diesel, one of the finest engines Ford ever put in these things, 4x4, low miles, roof rack.