Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zephirus
May 18, 2004

BRRRR......CHK

TACD posted:

We’ve got a smart meter in our new place and a little after I gave them our first reading they credited my account with nearly £650 for some reason. I assume at some point it’ll disappear again but I’m not going to ask them about it until then.

iirc, It actual costs the energy company a not insignificant amount of money (around £1) to read a smart meter remotely through the dcc network so there is still a fair amount of guesswork on their part to avoid charges. I've been away from this sector for a few years so this may have changed but in general everyone involved was at best incompetent.

Shameful Snipe: The black 5s were steam trains that lasted until the rise of the diesels and were generally pretty cool

Zephirus fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Rise of the Diesels sounds like a Thomas the Tank Engine / Transformers crossover.

Zephirus
May 18, 2004

BRRRR......CHK

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Rise of the Diesels sounds like a Thomas the Tank Engine / Transformers crossover.

For The Honor of Sodor!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

P sure there's a Thomas special called Day of the Diesels, which sounds more like a Thomas/Doctor Who crossover. (Source: young son.)

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Billionaire hedge fund boss pays himself UK record of £343m

quote:

The billionaire hedge fund manager Sir Chris Hohn paid himself $479m last year after his Children’s Investment (TCI) fund, recorded a 66% jump in pre-tax profits to $695m.

It is believed to be the highest annual amount ever paid to one person in Britain and equates to £940,000 a day. It is 9,000 times the average UK salary

I know there are people that can pay themselves more, especially in the US but it is crazy to think that someone can pay themselves this much and there is still such poverty in the world.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

bessantj posted:

I know there are people that can pay themselves more, especially in the US but it is crazy to think that someone can pay themselves this much and there is still such poverty in the world.

If you think about it a little harder you'll see that those two facts are related!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

namesake posted:

If you think about it a little harder you'll see that those two facts are related!

It's not as if you can't have people that have vast wealth and eliminate poverty. It's just the people with power (and usually by extension the wealth) don't want to. But people defend the ultra wealthy "oh they work so hard for their money". I know people that work 72 hours a week building and maintaining the UKs rail network or buulding buildings and are set to make around £30k. Are we to believe that the ultra rich work so much harder than these people? (I know I'm shouting into the void.)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If they work that hard they should be able to make their wealth back within the month
v:shobon:v

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

namesake posted:

Agreed, the destitute should pay themselves more

parishilton_stopbeingpoor.bmp

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

bessantj posted:

It's not as if you can't have people that have vast wealth and eliminate poverty. It's just the people with power (and usually by extension the wealth) don't want to. But people defend the ultra wealthy "oh they work so hard for their money". I know people that work 72 hours a week building and maintaining the UKs rail network or buulding buildings and are set to make around £30k. Are we to believe that the ultra rich work so much harder than these people? (I know I'm shouting into the void.)
The problem is that the middle class identify more with the capital class than the working class. I know a bunch of people who've "made it", insofar as going from being poor to having a very comfortable income, getting the nice house & fancy car & clothes, all the good food, &c. Most of them have worked really loving hard to get there, and because they have loads of the same stuff & interests as the actual rich & move in some of the same circles, that's who they identify with, and it provokes a strong emotional reaction when people say the rich don't work hard. They work hard, and they see themselves at the low end of "the rich" rather than the high end of "the workers" so obviously it's a personal insult.

Of course, they never get to be the rich. If you work hard enough to make money for the rich, you can have lots of the same stuff, but you still have to loving work. Living stress-free off the labour of others is almost entirely for hereditary wealth (a few tech billionaires/very lucky entrepreneurs excepted). The minute they stop working their arses off to make money for the actual rich, they're done, back on the scrapheap. It's solely a one-way identification, and their bosses are laughing at them.

I think the fact that you've got to do so much loving work to play at pretend wealth means that only people who are prepared to blind themselves to the fact that they're nothing but lapdogs are prepared to actually do it. And once they start down that path, there's a big old sunk cost fallacy preventing themselves from acknowledging that they're being exploited. So, they carry on defending the people who laugh at them, because what, am I wrong or something? I deserve nice things. This was the right choice. Anyone who says the system that gives me them is unfair must just be jealous. No time to think on it, anyway, I've only got a few hours to sleep after this second bottle of wine before I'm back to work. Hard work is a good thing.

(yes obviously the middle class are not exploited to the same degree as the 72-hour £30k labourer, but it's still exploitation of the same type, this is my thesis on why middle class proletarians identify with their oppressors & get really loving angry when you point out that the rich don't do any loving work)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
You can just say petite bourgeoisie

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Failed Imagineer posted:

That implies some sort of small business owner or someone who owns 3 homes and lets them out, and while the well off "middle class" are encouraged to do that, that's not how they get to that position, which I think is Borrovan's point.

My personal thesis is that there is no such thing as a middle class. You're either a worker (some really well paid), or you can afford to retire and live off your money. Once you cross that line, and some people like professional athletes can cross it after only a few years of work, your interests change substantially. This also means that if you've worked for 60 years and are now retired, your material interests are the same as those of capitalists', but 60 years of life experiences as a worker are hard to break.

Miftan fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Mar 2, 2021

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

e: ^^^^yeah serious answer, I don't think it's helpful to define the high-earning worker as a different class to the low-earning worker, they have the same relationship to capital. There's also an argument to be made that, with the rise in bogus self employment & private pensions, "owns some capital" is also not a useful distinction. You either have to work for a living (or live off table scraps), or you don't, imo.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Borrovan posted:

The problem is petite bourgeoisie
Yeah that works just the same

Doesn't quite scratch the void-screaming itch though

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Mar 2, 2021

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
The same guy gave $386 to charity that year and is the largest individual donor to Extinction Rebellion.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
when I moved into this flat I specifically chose a plan so that I didn't have to get a smart meter, because I didn't want to have to deal with asking permission to get one installed off some anonymous building manager before I could switch to a new supplier

then the company started ringing me constantly trying to get me to switch, which would be a pain in the arse normally but especially because the sound on my phone was broken so I needed to rush to connect my headphones to it whenever they rang and kept missing them

when they did eventually get through I tried asking the guy (whose English wasn't great*) whether they needed to switch it or if I had a choice, which he didn't really answer, and then asked if I could at least make sure I had permission to change the meter before making an appointment to have it switched, which he didn't really answer

after about twenty minutes of going round in circles I hung up, and when they kept ringing I just blocked the number because I'm a responsible adult

*which wouldn't be a problem if I wasn't asking him a bunch of stupid questions that aren't on the script

XMNN fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Mar 2, 2021

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1366510824999780355

https://twitter.com/MirrorRoyal/status/1366509373179244550

More blood, ink and fury being spilt over this than Andy being a goddamn nonce.

And if you ever wanted to venture into the barren wasteland of Royalist Brain, the comments are something else.

---

[e]: Also Guava got a new thing for the previous threads
All Previous Threads

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Mar 2, 2021

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
oooooooooh i wonder how she's going to do it up what's she going to wear exclusive pics inside

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

crispix posted:

oooooooooh i wonder how she's going to do it up what's she going to wear exclusive pics inside

Her giant Baby is also a painter and decorator and a tailor.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
How much of the country do you reckon will have been vaccinated by june 2021 (if we get the euros)?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Pesky Splinter posted:

More blood, ink and fury being spilt over this than Andy being a goddamn nonce.

And if you ever wanted to venture into the barren wasteland of Royalist Brain, the comments are something else.

---

Its because he hates the press rightfully and they're mad about it

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Carrie Symonds just might have the poshest face of all time.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I hate these cunts so much

https://twitter.com/BenPBradshaw/status/1366647116811091968?s=19

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Jippa posted:

How much of the country do you reckon will have been vaccinated by june 2021 (if we get the euros)?
A good chunk? I'm just over 40 and the estimate for me is next month for 1st and July for 2nd.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Her giant Baby is also a painter and decorator and a tailor.

Is he not a bit busy being PM?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jippa posted:

It's hard to say because all of a sudden we're having "supply problems" now that we're moving to second doses. Weirdly these "supply problems" don't seem to be affecting the first-dose headline figures, but whatever. Assuming that they *can* get second doses moving properly and the pace evens out to 2M each of first and second doses per week (an almost insanely optimistic figure but we'll go with what the gov are saying) with a 12-week gap, then in 14 weeks we should have 15M people who've had their first dose and 28M who've had both. A more realistic (but still optimistic) figure of 1M a week each is 14M with both doses.

(In reality I genuinely think they're just gonna go "welp first dose is good enough" so potentially we could have almost the entire adult population done by then, pretend like everything's over, and usher in the thousand-year Borisreich)

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Is the new vaccination rate due to fall off a cliff at the end of March as they start hitting second jab time? Or has supply increased enough to compensate for that?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Couldn't someone I dunno sue the government if it turns out they've got no intention of giving the second vaccine? Like wasnt it only approved by regulators or something for two doses?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Couldn't someone I dunno sue the government if it turns out they've got no intention of giving the second vaccine? Like wasnt it only approved by regulators or something for two doses?

No, and yes

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Jippa posted:

Most of it, probably. Our vaccine programme is still one of the fastest rolled-out in the world and June is 3 months away and all the evidence is that even a single dose enormously reduces the risk of death or serious illness from Covid. I'm in my 40's and am expecting my 1st dose by April.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Jippa posted:

I'm a carer for a vulnerable person but is 28 so I thought I would be low on the ladder but I have my first vaccine appointment wednesday. I am actually impressed how fast this is going, my mother has had hers and pretty much all of the older generation in my family has their first shots too. So I definitely think quite a large amount of population will have their first, or even second by then.

Samael fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Mar 2, 2021

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

what is this thread's problem with smart meters anyway?

Since I can see my power consumption on an LED screen I use a lot less and my bills have gone down.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

My smart meter’s currently a lump of unresponsive plastic cause it’s lost connection to the meters and they’re not bothering to send people to fix them til after the pandemic.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

what is this thread's problem with smart meters anyway?

Since I can see my power consumption on an LED screen I use a lot less and my bills have gone down.

They're old, vaccinated, fuddy duddies.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

didn’t the older type of meter (which is being phased out ?) only work with the company that installed it, so if you moved to a different provider after one year it didn’t work anymore,

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, the first gen smart meters were poo poo, and my supplier keeps saying they'll install new gen smart meters in my area any day now (this does not happen).

I like the old spinny meters that went backwards if you were generating more than you were using but the power companies don't for some reason :iiam:.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Miftan posted:

That implies some sort of small business owner or someone who owns 3 homes and lets them out, and while the well off "middle class" are encouraged to do that, that's not how they get to that position, which I think is Borrovan's point.

I think that’s just bourgeoisie without the petit; the phrase was coined for those relatively few people in Marx’s time (mostly doctors) who were neither employing nor employed.

The Platonic ideal working class person works full-time, but owns no assets. The equivalent upper class person is the opposite. Everyone else has both, and most politics is working through the consequence of what that means.

For example, sometimes the biggest influence on someone’s salary is not minimum wage law, or union power, but the theoretical capability to go off and set up business as an independent trader or consultant. Most doctors are like this; they will make broadly the same whether they are a fully salaried employee or a sole proprietor.

One thing that trips up a lot of people is that they don’t need to actually take the option in order for it to matter. Just like a union does not need to strike constantly once it has established power relations it is satisfied with .

So the political question becomes is that something that should be relied on and encouraged, or is it a trap that weakens unions?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Jel Shaker posted:

didn’t the older type of meter (which is being phased out ?) only work with the company that installed it, so if you moved to a different provider after one year it didn’t work anymore,

SMETS1, but they’re not being installed any more and the average goon will have no experience with them.

SMETS2 is the one people are complaining about because nobody likes change, and noones going to post ‘I had one installed and nothing happened’ as a story.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

My old neighbour put a leaflet through my door saying that I shouldn't get one because all the wifis and microwaves cause cancer and something about Bill Gates. It even had a study on it, by somebody with a PhD and everything

Personally I'd probably have taken more issue with the 30 or so wifi networks in that building than maybe one or 2 smart devices in a locked room behind the laundry, if I were a crazy person

I guess I just don't have what it takes

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Total Meatlove posted:

SMETS1, but they’re not being installed any more and the average goon will have no experience with them.

SMETS2 is the one people are complaining about because nobody likes change, and noones going to post ‘I had one installed and nothing happened’ as a story.

I got a SMETS2 smart meter installed and then my utility provider didn't charge me for over a year which apparently meant I could have disputed whether I had to pay if it was older than a year. Unfortunately i only learned that from this thread after paying it.

It also stopped working for a bit but then fixed itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Jel Shaker posted:

Yeah I had a smart meter installed by British Gas in 2016ish. Then I moved to another supplier who said they couldn't use that meter, so I'd have to keep submitting manual readings until they could upgrade it at some point in the future. Last year I got a cheaper quote to move back to British Gas, and after doing so I asked them to switch the smart meter back on. They couldn't do that for some vague technobabble reason, so I still get emails for manual readings every month.

Just really well thought out technology. World class.