Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

SchnorkIes posted:

The mechanical timers were fiendish and unserviceable too lol

Ehh, they're just more likely to have NOS parts laying around. Timers breaking isn't surprising, like anything else.

Last time I had a washer apart was to replace cheap rear end pvc fittings. It was a basic washer, nothing fancy, and parts were dirt cheap. Never had a problem with timers, but door switches were common. 20 years ago we didn't need boards in this poo poo. It was less efficient, but the planet is hosed at this point anyhow.

Nothing is built to last anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Thanatosian posted:

"sure, this guy is an ignorant piece of poo poo, but other ignorant pieces of poo poo are listening to him"
This is code for "I agree 100% with everything he's saying"

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Ehh, they're just more likely to have NOS parts laying around. Timers breaking isn't surprising, like anything else.

Last time I had a washer apart was to replace cheap rear end pvc fittings. It was a basic washer, nothing fancy, and parts were dirt cheap. Never had a problem with timers, but door switches were common. 20 years ago we didn't need boards in this poo poo. It was less efficient, but the planet is hosed at this point anyhow.

Nothing is built to last anymore.

Twenty years ago it was 2001 and nothing was built to last then either, RIP

Charles Ingalls
Jan 31, 2021
miele is still pretty good

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

The Oldest Man posted:

Twenty years ago it was 2001 and nothing was built to last then either, RIP

Yeah, it was more the rear end end of the era. Durability of consumer products loving tanked hard back then, but the level of built in failure is just ridiculous now.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

just buy a miele and be done with it, usually a lot more expensive but much better built as the germans a decades behind planned obsolescence tech the US excels at

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

Mine broke a few months ago and after running out of clothes to wear i spent forever looking at reviews to find the best simple new top load agitator, just a basic washing machine.

Why do you specifically want a top-loader? Aren't front loaders generally better? That's what I've always heard. I would guess that one reason it may be hard to find a good top-loader is because there's just not much demand for them?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

SchnorkIes posted:

Do modern commercial grade washers suck?

I looked up Speed Queen since I'd heard that they just started selling to consumers since they got such a good reputation, and apparently some time after that they decided that instead of just selling people good washing machines they'd make a consumer-specific version that's worse and market it as a "luxury" washer instead lmao

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Jel Shaker posted:

just buy a miele and be done with it, usually a lot more expensive but much better built as the germans a decades behind planned obsolescence tech the US excels at

The EU might be relevant here too, I think we have some regulations specifically targeting planned obsolescence.

Charles Ingalls
Jan 31, 2021
any reason washing machines are so expensive in the us? I just did a quick zero-effort search (Scandinavia, nothing is cheap here), you can get a Miele frontloader for about $900-ish, the cheapest frontloader (with good reviews) for $280 and the cheapest topploader for around $375, if the machine stops working at any time the first 5 years they’ll have to fix or replace it free of charge unless you did something monumentally stupid to cause it to fail

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

Tiggum posted:

Why do you specifically want a top-loader? Aren't front loaders generally better? That's what I've always heard. I would guess that one reason it may be hard to find a good top-loader is because there's just not much demand for them?

i had heard that the seal around the front door is an extra potential point of failure and was looking for the simplest thing available.

also helped narrow search results among the huge and confusing selection of barely different models/brands.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Charles Ingalls posted:

any reason washing machines are so expensive in the us? I just did a quick zero-effort search (Scandinavia, nothing is cheap here), you can get a Miele frontloader for about $900-ish, the cheapest frontloader (with good reviews) for $280 and the cheapest topploader for around $375, if the machine stops working at any time the first 5 years they’ll have to fix or replace it free of charge unless you did something monumentally stupid to cause it to fail

Wow all the mieles I saw on US sites were like 5000 bucks

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Shame Boy posted:

For some reason the paper cut out the last part of that quote but then put it in a little graphic over on the side. I think this is as close as I've seen someone come to just outright saying this Kelly comic:

Lol that comic is racist as gently caress it's incredible

Svensken
May 29, 2010
Kelly is larping as a conservative cartoonist, so yeah that is the point

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

mycomancy posted:

Lol that comic is racist as gently caress it's incredible

Kelly is The Onion’s fictional cartoonist.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
don’t buy a samsung frontload washer. the spider arms that connect the drum to the motor are deliberately designed to catastrophically fail after 4-6 years of use and this is not covered by warranty.

the only reason i can fathom there hasn’t been a massive class action suit over this is individual damages are a few hundred each at best.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I thought "just get a used washer/dryer for a hundred bucks, replace if it breaks down after a few years" was realistic advice for someone living in the US once :negative: that market is downright extortionary

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Every market is extortionary.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

If you have a washing machine that you like right now, take extremely good care of it because if it breaks you cannot buy a new one that cleans clothes from stores anymore.

Mine broke a few months ago and after running out of clothes to wear i spent forever looking at reviews to find the best simple new top load agitator, just a basic washing machine. $500 minimum

Look up the used appliance store in your town/city. They'll have a lot of the old washing machines and the dude that runs the place is the dude that fixes them (so he'll actually be very knowledgeable about what's good/bad).

Also, the guy in my city only charges 150$ for any used washer. 100$ if that's too much for you. And if it ever breaks he'll know exactly how to fix it.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
got a front load whirlpool about five years ago to replace a 25+ year old Kenmore and it’s great, no complaints here

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

My parents got their washer from SCRATCH N' DENT WORLD and it's like a $1400 model that I think they paid $600 for cuz it's got a big gash in the sheet metal on the side. Thing has worked completely fine for 10+ years though :shrug:

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
New dryers are a grift. Go to the used appliance sellers that live near laundromats on facebook and buy a dryer for 200. They all dry the same, old or new. New washer can be worth it. The lg front load save a ton of water and clean fine.

Though, if we're at a point we're we all need to be conserving water wouldn't we just go back to a bucket of water and washing pan.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Re: appliance chat.

I had 2 fridges in row be defective and on the the last delivery attempt, Best Buy lied about showing up because they sure as hell didn't call me and I was home all day. I cancelled that poo poo and got a smaller 12 cu-ft one from a different vendor that's hopefully working (I'm watching the temps like a hawk). I hadn't had a fridge for a month until last Saturday. Just life in a collapsing empire :shrug:

Shame Boy posted:

Though I do find it funny that people are FrEaKiNg OuT at the idea that a kid might want to imitate a relatively comfortable job that allows you to work from the comfort of your own home, but we've been giving kids "babby's first heavy industrial construction machinery" toys or "babby's first officer involved shooting playset" toys since forever and that's just fine I guess

Does the officer involved shooting set come with a baggy of drugs and a small revolver to plant?

skooma512 has issued a correction as of 17:27 on Mar 2, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

skooma512 posted:

Re: appliance chat.

I had 2 fridges in row be defective and on the the last delivery attempt, Best Buy lied about showing up because they sure as hell didn't call me and I was home all day. I cancelled that poo poo and got a smaller 12 cu-ft one from a different vendor that's hopefully working (I'm watching the temps like a hawk). I hadn't had a fridge for a month until last Saturday. Just life in a collapsing empire :shrug:

I've been waiting on the fridge I ordered to show up since November, now due for mid-April. Thank you Brexiteers.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Surely the increased freedom and sense of national pride you feel more than makes up for your lack of a kitchen appliance, doesn't it? Stiff upper lip and all that, you're doing it for England :britain:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

I looked up Speed Queen since I'd heard that they just started selling to consumers since they got such a good reputation, and apparently some time after that they decided that instead of just selling people good washing machines they'd make a consumer-specific version that's worse and market it as a "luxury" washer instead lmao

My parents bought a Speed Queen washer when they got married. It needed a new transmission after 5 years and a new timer after 10. The timer was backordered for 6 weeks and cost almost as much as a new washer, so it went to the scrap yard.

I have a Bosch front loader that's 16 years old and it hasn't needed a single part, which is more than I can say about the top-loader washers we had when I was growing up.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Has anyone thought to set up Washr, the community laundry app that lets washing machine owners sublet their appliances. Let strangers come in your house with no background checks #sidehustle #getyourbreadup

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

wasn't that the name of the company that would ship you $15 of quarters for $20 to do laundry?

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

The_Franz posted:

wasn't that the name of the company that would ship you $15 of quarters for $20 to do laundry?

https://www.vox.com/2014/6/20/5828318/washboard-quarter-delivery-service

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The_Franz posted:

Jesus christ we really do deserve our suffering don't we

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
"Quartr" was right there

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Weatherman posted:

Surely the increased freedom and sense of national pride you feel more than makes up for your lack of a kitchen appliance, doesn't it? Stiff upper lip and all that, you're doing it for England :britain:

That might be a more persuasive argument, except I'm Irish...

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

the sex ghost posted:

Has anyone thought to set up Washr, the community laundry app that lets washing machine owners sublet their appliances. Let strangers come in your house with no background checks #sidehustle #getyourbreadup

When out lease was up we looked at another place owned by our current people and it's listing advertised all the same poo poo we have now, a bigger floor plan, and lower cost.

So we paid the fee and applied only to find out that no, the amenities are now in fact the same for that model and the washer and dryer hookups are in a shared community basement. "I can assure you we don't have a problem with people using others washers and dryers"

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

The Bloop posted:

it got shut down for money laundering, which it technically could have been

but also lmao it was the best idea for separating lazy people from cash

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Weatherman posted:

"Quartr" was right there

actually that’s my medieval tortue delivery service, surprisingly good business recently too

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mr. Nice! posted:

don’t buy a samsung frontload washer. the spider arms that connect the drum to the motor are deliberately designed to catastrophically fail after 4-6 years of use and this is not covered by warranty.

the only reason i can fathom there hasn’t been a massive class action suit over this is individual damages are a few hundred each at best.

:lmao:

I think that's the brand my parents just bought a few months ago, to replace their perfectly fine set because they're boomers and had to buy something new apparently.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Bloop posted:

I swear there was also some idiot that did this for bitcoin too and was just walking down to the bank, taking out a roll of quarters and mailing them himself, but I'm pretty sure it happened a long-rear end time ago and I can't find it

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Failed Imagineer posted:

That might be a more persuasive argument, except I'm Irish...

My point stands :v:

Seriously though, that sucks and I'm sorry your country got bent over a barrel by a bunch of butthurt boomers :(

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

it got shut down for money laundering, which it technically could have been

but also lmao it was the best idea for separating lazy people from cash

Money laundering to get laundering money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Got into arguments online with libertarians. Ended up with these text.

First
If all actors stopped working, other actors would take their place.
If all Rich people stopped working, other people would take their place.

Libertarians are stupid.

Second
opponent "Sad that your life is based on what other people do. You are doomed to be a victim forever."

Name one thing you life that isn't based on what other people do.

You can't. You eat farmer's food. You're protected by a country's military. Your money exits from banks, and government. Telephone companies control your access to the internet. Your plumbing (toilet, shower, and water) needs to be maintained.

Third
Republicans: The minimum wage increase will cost 1.4 million jobs.
Republicans: Give Rich people more money! They make jobs.
Normal people: Where is the Job Surplus?

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 21:12 on Mar 2, 2021