Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I just didn't really want to have to find out who to ask permission off and then wait for permission to get one because I wanted to switch suppliers as quickly as possible

plus I don't like emailing people and stuff anyway

e: the rokkaku-shi (六角氏) were a sengoku era daimyo clan from Omi province who got owned by oda nobunaga (as did most people) whose name means something along the lines of six angles/hexagon people (rokkakei, 六角形)

disappointingly their mon is not a hexagon, or even in the D6 group, from which i conclude that the early modern japanese had no respect for symmetry groups

XMNN fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Mar 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I don't know exactly what a smart meter can and can't do, but my main concern would be whether it can send live readings. When (not if) the power company gets hacked, somebody can then essentially see remotely when somebody is or isn't home, since that correlates pretty well with power usage.

Doing a bit of reading it does seem like (some/all?) meters allow you to specify how often it sends updates, between half-hourly and monthly, so I would choose the longest interval that I can.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
*hammers See Less repeatedly*

u brexit ukip it posted:

I don't know exactly what a smart meter can and can't do, but my main concern would be whether it can send live readings. When (not if) the power company gets hacked, somebody can then essentially see remotely when somebody is or isn't home, since that correlates pretty well with power usage.
Sounds like there's a market for a combined security alarm/crypto miner.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I got an invite from the CWU to go to a big multi-union pre-budget zoom thing this evening; worth attending?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Guavanaut posted:

It always boils down to piss.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

u brexit ukip it posted:

Doing a bit of reading it does seem like (some/all?) meters allow you to specify how often it sends updates, between half-hourly and monthly, so I would choose the longest interval that I can.

Monthly reads are optimal for small scale tracking like a single domestic supply. Half hourly data is only required for large scale operations which can burn a ton of power out of hours if the BMS isn't set up correctly.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Pesky Splinter posted:

It always boils down to piss.

I think it's the piss that's boiled down

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

One of the worst "for this recipe you will need..." openings I've ever seen.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

https://twitter.com/NickCohen4/status/1366712420547313664

Our prestigious journalists really are the stupidest people who have ever lived.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The answer to Cohen's very pertinent question is "not having the full support of the journalist set and thus their scandals being made relevant".

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Jedit posted:

Monthly reads are optimal for small scale tracking like a single domestic supply. Half hourly data is only required for large scale operations which can burn a ton of power out of hours if the BMS isn't set up correctly.

I saw some interesting analyses back in the day using half hourly data, where it could tell based on fingerprinting what the power consumption of your fridge, oven, kettle, shower etc was. This might be useful if you could then tell people eg: 'the fridge you have appears to be inefficient, if you bought a new one you'd actually save enough money over the next 3 years that it'd offset the cost'. Of course, that's hardly in the interests of a private energy supplier unless they get a kickback or whatever. As usual it boils down to nationalise everything.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
It's loving nigh on impossible to find school uniforms/shoes right now- stock is hosed everywhere and it was last week when I tried then too

At this rate they can accept my lads in jeans, hoodies and trainers or not at loving all, cause I'm not sending them in threadbare jackups

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Jedit posted:

The answer to Cohen's very pertinent question is "not having the full support of the journalist set and thus their scandals being made relevant".

Yes - imagine being a journalist and perceiving the attention and ridicule of journalists to be some kind of eldritch ghost we've lost the ability to summon.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Reveilled posted:

I think it's the piss that's boiled down

:lol:

josh04 posted:

Our prestigious journalists really are the stupidest people who have ever lived.

drat, turns out the full frothing support and complicity of the media classes to brush aside actual scandals as "minor inconveniences" and "japes", cushion the moral failings of their politician mates, and a complete unwillingness to pursue meaningful stories actually makes it difficult to get people like Johnson removed.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

StarkingBarfish posted:

I saw some interesting analyses back in the day using half hourly data, where it could tell based on fingerprinting what the power consumption of your fridge, oven, kettle, shower etc was. This might be useful if you could then tell people eg: 'the fridge you have appears to be inefficient, if you bought a new one you'd actually save enough money over the next 3 years that it'd offset the cost'. Of course, that's hardly in the interests of a private energy supplier unless they get a kickback or whatever. As usual it boils down to nationalise everything.

Electric grids are expensive to maintain and update though, I can see why energy companies might rather get a few quid less from consumers if it means they don't have to upgrade their networks

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

josh04 posted:

Has he tried artificially generating an antisemitism scandal? That worked well on the last party leader Nick and his colleagues in the press didn't like.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Maybe show 1/10th of the follow up on Boris Johnson writing racial slurs so old even Prince Philip doesn't use them as Jeremy Corbyn liking a Facebook post might do something.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Latest news from hell island, holiday camp Pontins have been refusing to take bookings from anyone with an Irish surname in order to keep travellers out of their parks

https://twitter.com/ChrisGreenNews/status/1366666915087794177

And seriously the list is just Irish surnames.txt

https://twitter.com/ChrisGreenNews/status/1366667444497113088

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
The clipart in the list just

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Latest news from hell island, holiday camp Pontins have been refusing to take bookings from anyone with an Irish surname in order to keep travellers out of their parks

https://twitter.com/ChrisGreenNews/status/1366666915087794177

https://twitter.com/ChrisGreenNews/status/1366667444497113088

I was just coming in here to post that same story.

Yeah that list is just a random list of Irish surnames, not just Travellers.
Gandalf wouldn’t be impressed.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Where was 'No dogs, no Blacks, no Irish' signs on the list of things people wanted back after Brexit?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

multijoe posted:

Where was 'No dogs, no Blacks, no Irish' signs on the list of things people wanted back after Brexit?

Those signs never went away, they just took them off the front door

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Poor Jimmy Carr never got to visit Pontins :(

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
It's kinda both, any irish person would look at that list and instantly know what they're getting at, but yet also they have Murphy and O Brien which combined probably account for 20% of all Irish.

The clip art is fantastic though, you have been visited by the Wizard of Antiziganism, send to 10 followers or your lovely holiday park will lose subscriber

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

The Question IRL posted:

Computer, enhance.

And again.

Computer, sharpen resolution.

[e]:

multijoe posted:

Cynical minds think alike. :hf:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/sammisam147/status/1366517682544267272/photo/2

Listen I know cuck is a horrible term to be throwing around in political discourse, but loving hell.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

DesperateDan posted:

It's loving nigh on impossible to find school uniforms/shoes right now- stock is hosed everywhere and it was last week when I tried then too

At this rate they can accept my lads in jeans, hoodies and trainers or not at loving all, cause I'm not sending them in threadbare jackups

Yeah my form are busy panicking that their blazers or shoes don't fit as they've grown. We'll see what it looks like on Monday.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

will it never end for the O'Brien's

And on a less shitposty note ffs that reads like a list of half the kids I went to school with

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

Sounds like there's a market for a combined security alarm/crypto miner.

Ah yes monoatomic mushrooms

Make sure you don't drop them or you'll never find them again

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/sammisam147/status/1366517682544267272/photo/2

Listen I know cuck is a horrible term to be throwing around in political discourse, but loving hell.

Johnson made Harry watch as they ordered the giant baby.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Ah yes monoatomic mushrooms

Make sure you don't drop them or you'll never find them again

I've had acid which reduced me to a monoatomic state, but never a mushroom

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
In lovely landlord news my landlord who wants me out by August so he can sell the place after I told him the tumble dryer isn't working said if I can live with it he won't increase the rent after April...

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Rumda posted:

In lovely landlord news my landlord who wants me out by August so he can sell the place after I told him the tumble dryer isn't working said if I can live with it he won't increase the rent after April...

Your landlord has almost zero chance of getting you out by August, and you don't need to agree the rent increase either. They still need to fix the washing machine though.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

do you think all his colleagues hate him which is why its always him on these stories because if not what other word is there than cuck

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Lungboy posted:

Your landlord has almost zero chance of getting you out by August, and you don't need to agree the rent increase either. They still need to fix the washing machine though.

Na he gave me an eviction notice at the beginning of February to be out in 6 months

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

The Question IRL posted:

I was just coming in here to post that same story.

Gandalf wouldn’t be impressed.

I'm enjoying the people angry that they are being lumped in with Travellers who of course it is fine to ban from your hotel

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Half hourly data isn’t allowed to be aggregated at a granularity that identifies a specific household or business (apart from in the use of that data to prove electricity theft) - s10 and 10a of the Licence Conditions of the Electricity Act.

The use of smart meter data is helping with the RTS switch off in the north massively, and will be massive in the electrification of transport.

Please get a smart meter.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

kustomkarkommando posted:

I'm enjoying the people angry that they are being lumped in with Travellers who of course it is fine to ban from your hotel

I'm not defending the list. Nor am I saying it would be fine if the list was just surnames associated with Traveller families.
(The companies rationale for the entire list was flawed. They are relying on management having a right to refuse admission, which they of course do. But that doctirine is "refuse Alan Carr because he wrecked his room back in 1997." Not "refuse all people with the name Carr.")

This is so much worse than that, because it's such a wide ranging list of Irish surnames that's it's discriminating against Irish settled and traveller communities. It's both discriminatory and it's stupid because it shows that the company doesn't even know who they are "supposed" to be discriminating against and just ends up blanket banning Irish people from their business.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like RTS and don't want to see it switched off, they should make another supreme commander IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Internal Notice!

Please refuse all bookings from:
• Top hat wearing monkey-people waving bottles of spirits and smoking long pipes.
• Big fat popes, cardinals, bishops &c. embezzling from the public trust.
• Vagrants walking pigs and shouting about home rule.
• The Lucky Charms leprechaun.
• Sentient potato selling crisps.

We are not racists,

Pontins