Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I feel like however 7 Remake 2 chooses to address this is going to be jarring. How much of an abstraction was that world map? Are they going to keep the representation of every continent being two towns, a miscellaneous location, and thousands of square miles of empty space

My preference would be to do something like what FFXII does, where there are overworld zones you travel through and the implication of a lot of space between them so you're only seeing the interesting bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

StoryTime posted:

I think the closest you can get to a consistent earth-like cycle would be for the donut to spin like a wheel, and have the sun do a figure eight through the hole.
But does the elephant have to lift its leg to let it pass?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cardiovorax posted:

Shame to hear it, but I hope you still had some fun with it, at least.

I did, but it was almost all out in the field exploring. I liked their take on the world, both as a story and as a fairly clever strategy for making a second game out of that asset collection.

It's funny, because I had a much better time with Subnautica which is very similar. In hindsight it's probably because Subnautica lets you more easily refill your meters in the field and doesn't have other characters with needs around.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Cardiovorax posted:

But does the elephant have to lift its leg to let it pass?

No, but the turtle does a sweet backflip.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Rarity posted:

OoT randomizer update:

I found a whole bunch of keys and a whole bunch of songs but no ocarina to play them on, grabbed a bomb bag so went up Death Mountain, wasted all my bombs chucking them into the jug before I realised it needed to be spinning and I couldn't do that, turned adult and beat Dampe for a bloopee only to get stuck in his grave, tried to do a bunch of tricks and couldn't pull them off and ended up getting a headache. I did get an adult wallet so I'm thinking my best bet now is grind money for sticks and nuts so I can dive into the Deku Tree and swing by Lost Woods for some bomb grottos. The racers make this look so easy :gonk:

Are you using a tracker? Emotracker has components that will show you exactly what checks are available to you with that items you have to remove a lot of the guesswork when you don't have obscene levels of game knowledge.

Nothing helps with the general tedium though

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It wouldn't surprise me if FF7R chucked the overworld entirely and stuck with their chapter-based wide linear approach.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

haveblue posted:

I did, but it was almost all out in the field exploring. I liked their take on the world, both as a story and as a fairly clever strategy for making a second game out of that asset collection.

It's funny, because I had a much better time with Subnautica which is very similar. In hindsight it's probably because Subnautica lets you more easily refill your meters in the field and doesn't have other characters with needs around.
Well, I appreciate that you stuck with it and reported back your experiences. I always find it a shame how under-appreciated Survive is, because it really does a lot of neat things.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

What a weird fuckin game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

StoryTime posted:

Final Fantasy II does an impressive (for the NES) and entirely useless attempt at projecting the overworld map as a sphere:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NtrCeShJq0&t=4713s

It's actually a donut world of course, or a toroid to be more specific.

Here's a fun thought experiment: how would a donut and a sun move in relation to each other to produce a day-night cycle?

I think the closest you can get to a consistent earth-like cycle would be for the donut to spin like a wheel, and have the sun do a figure eight through the hole.

Huh this is the missing link because two of three of FF2's designers would headline Secret of Mana plus Nasir Gebelli who probably coded the whole projection system.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Blast corps but zoomed out so you can see anything at all would be good

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Hwurmp posted:

Populous: The Beginning
Nope! Populous the Beginning actually has donut worlds too, they're just basically deformed fisheye-style so you won't notice.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

But they're spherical when you zoom out. :confused:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Blast Corps but Backlash has cannons mounted on it so it's not an absolute chore.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Cardiovorax posted:

Oh, I agree that it's a very simple and illustrative demonstration of the concept and you can absolutely understand what it is just from looking at what you showed us in your post. I was simply talking about it in terms of that kind of application helping you to learn how to do so yourself, which is where reduction to the absolute basics honestly helps a lot.

I agree on the "isolating and teaching the basics" front for sure but it's also generally helpful to me to see how things fit in with some greater concept or use- and maybe that's generally how things are done now (someone posted about Common Core)

kind of like understanding how a carburetor, valvetrain, and magneto function vs why exactly they are where they are on a small engine

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cardiovorax posted:

But they're spherical when you zoom out. :confused:

Picture a square tablecloth draped over a parabola, it'll look spherical as long as you're looking from above.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Monkey Fracas posted:

I agree on the "isolating and teaching the basics" front for sure but it's also generally helpful to me to see how things fit in with some greater concept or use- and maybe that's generally how things are done now (someone posted about Common Core)

kind of like understanding how a carburetor, valvetrain, and magneto function vs why exactly they are where they are on a small engine
Yeah, I don't disagree with that. It helps give you an appreciation for why a thing is even worth learning in the first place.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

wuggles posted:

What a weird fuckin game.

i never played it, but as a kid i did have a small book of hints & tips for the hottest new nintendo games, including blast corps. the descriptions of the levels, goals, and actions in the game made it sound like an absolute nightmare. not to play but like, as a world in which to exist

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1366798721653092356?s=20

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1366800085531713538?s=20

I've been wanting a new actual RPG from Mistwalker for a while but why does it have to be for Apple Arcade, c'mon now :negative:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

al-azad posted:

Blast Corps but Backlash has cannons mounted on it so it's not an absolute chore.

specifically, Blast Corps but Diamond Sands is the detonation site

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Apple footed the bill but games leave Apple Arcade like way faster than EGS. It'll probably be on Steam like 3 months later.

Like that World Enders club whatever would've been less than 6 months from incomplete Apple Arcade to Switch.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Dimengeon, hehe

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Harrow posted:

I've been wanting a new actual RPG from Mistwalker for a while but why does it have to be for Apple Arcade, c'mon now :negative:

This is a cute looking jRPG! I hope it eventually comes to Steam.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Harrow posted:

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1366798721653092356?s=20

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1366800085531713538?s=20

it was known to be an apple arcade title since the service was originally announced, this is just the first actual gameplay reveal

i love the hand-crafted physical environments

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I said come in! posted:

This is a cute looking jRPG! I hope it eventually comes to Steam.

The 7th Guest posted:

it was known to be an apple arcade title since the service was originally announced, this is just the first actual gameplay reveal

i love the hand-crafted physical environments

Yeah it looks really neat. Assuming it actually does come somewhere other than Apple Arcade (I know games aren't always forever exclusive but I don't know how often games are released elsewhere) I'll be really excited to play it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

very few games have remained exclusive to apple arcade except for stuff that only makes sense on a phone (guildlings for example)

a couple others include various daylife from square and chuchu rocket universe from sega

the majority only had timed exclusivity, sometimes only as long as a couple of weeks

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

StoryTime posted:

Final Fantasy II does an impressive (for the NES) and entirely useless attempt at projecting the overworld map as a sphere:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NtrCeShJq0&t=4713s

This was very slow but I was thinking it was at least better than the random battles you get on most old rpg world maps... but then they still have that too.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

the sub bass on that track is nuts

i wonder how many people were playing this game and wondering why their little 20" tv speakers were about to explode

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
you're playing blast corps! something should explode!!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Hell, in a couple instances, Apple Arcade exclusivity has essentially just been a demo, like Shantae and World End Club.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Harrow posted:

This isn't Lost Odyssey 2. wtf.

The 7th Guest posted:

very few games have remained exclusive to apple arcade except for stuff that only makes sense on a phone (guildlings for example)

a couple others include various daylife from square and chuchu rocket universe from sega

the majority only had timed exclusivity, sometimes only as long as a couple of weeks

I just remembered I have an Apple Arcade iPad trial. Are there any actually interesting games on there that I can't find in my infinite Steam backlog? This one might be the first I actually try out.

stev fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 2, 2021

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

https://twitter.com/fallguysgame/status/1366811607213481985?s=21

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I wonder how much money Tim threw at them for this

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

idk how much it would cost at this point people seem to have moved on

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Yeah, but does Epic sell pirated copies of a Cthulhu game?

Heh, Steam wins again.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
naw anything that's a hit sensational enough to warrant "everyone's moved on" usually has a healthy userbase of those very late to the party or who just enjoy stuff long after you've forgotten it was even a thing.

Looked like a fun mario party minigame but im not buying just one long mp minigame

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Khanstant posted:

naw anything that's a hit sensational enough to warrant "everyone's moved on" usually has a healthy userbase of those very late to the party or who just enjoy stuff long after you've forgotten it was even a thing.

Looked like a fun mario party minigame but im not buying just one long mp minigame

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Back to the new Mistwalker game real quick: I didn't catch that the environments are actually hand-crafted dioramas, as in they were physically built in real life

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1366805251827900418?s=20

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

They've already moved the company website to Epic's servers, I see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Harrow posted:

Back to the new Mistwalker game real quick: I didn't catch that the environments are actually hand-crafted dioramas, as in they were physically built in real life

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1366805251827900418?s=20

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?