Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

If there's anything the last 10 years should have taught us, it's that nostalgia is the most renewable resource of them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Dawgstar posted:

Where does the racist stuff in Earthblood come in? And I accept the answer could be as simple as 'used a Wendigo.'

I'm curious, when did anything to do with the wendigo/windigo become a strictly negative? I get it's complicated because there's more than one take from first nations americans, but at least from the sorta resources I ask about those sorts of things (Chickasaw, Choctaw, Cree peoples I've spoken to and have friends with) it's never been a verboten thing to talk about, I've sort of asked this same question of some of those people I go to for knowledge bits and it's never been talked about as a holy or shall-not-be-named thing, it's an evil spirit or to some just a cautionary tale for cannibalism, I dunno, it's just been a curveball for people to get onto me about talking about it or even using the word without asterisk'ing out parts more recently when natives have been pretty up front to talk to me about things about it. Am I missing something or is the condemnation more for appropriating it in dumb hollywood ways that it's not actually about? Cause I can get that at least.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

From what I've gathered the wendigo is something that's easy to gently caress up/hard to use respectfully. So in the case of Earthblood or other Werewolf: the Apocalypse properties, they almost certainly hosed something up because all that text has been written by willfully ignorant white guys for nearly three decades. But if they started from scratch and got some indigenous voices on as primary writers, theoretically it could be appropriate. (I'm not holding my breath.)

The only cultural practices I know to be completely verboten are things to do with the Diné/Navajo people. (They used to call themselves the Diné, but after the Long Walk and a century of other genocidal tactics they are now officially the Navajo.)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

In this case it's more that Wendigo in W:tA specifically refers to a Werewolf tribe native to the Pacific Northwest whose description, boiled down to its essence, is 'angry Native Americans that kill and maybe eat people.'

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Octavo posted:

They won't stop releasing 20th Anniversary stuff until White Wolf Entertainment has a competing edition. I don't know how Onyx Path can keep a straight face while releasing games with mechanics as totally busted as the 20th Anniversary books when they have the license to use any of the more or less functional iterations like nWoD's Storytelling system or Trinity 1e's Storyteller Revised. Releasing nostalgic editions with broken systems is like releasing HD remasters of PC games with all the BSOD-causing bugs left in for old time's sake.
It's because some people genuinely enjoy these systems, sometimes because of how busted they are. Look how popular loving EverQuest is still.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

NGDBSS posted:

From what I've gathered the wendigo is something that's easy to gently caress up/hard to use respectfully. So in the case of Earthblood or other Werewolf: the Apocalypse properties, they almost certainly hosed something up because all that text has been written by willfully ignorant white guys for nearly three decades. But if they started from scratch and got some indigenous voices on as primary writers, theoretically it could be appropriate. (I'm not holding my breath.)

The only cultural practices I know to be completely verboten are things to do with the Diné/Navajo people. (They used to call themselves the Diné, but after the Long Walk and a century of other genocidal tactics they are now officially the Navajo.)

Mors Rattus posted:

In this case it's more that Wendigo in W:tA specifically refers to a Werewolf tribe native to the Pacific Northwest whose description, boiled down to its essence, is 'angry Native Americans that kill and maybe eat people.'

Oh yeah I get it in crazy WoD ways that there's some real wonky material that's been written and then stretched out about a real world cultural folk creature, I've just been getting confusedly thrown for a loop about some people randomly on the internet being really weird about any discussion or even naming it for some reason more recently, which got brought back to mind by that other post.

Yawgmoth posted:

It's because some people genuinely enjoy these systems, sometimes because of how busted they are. Look how popular loving EverQuest is still.

*Scoots Project 1999 installation under some folders*

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Mors Rattus posted:

Their tribal Totem literally eats folks yeah - which not only gets a headscratch from a cultural appropriation aspect but also the violation of werewolf law about, you know, not eating people.

Both them and the Uktena also lean way heavy in to the magical native american thing, where everything was perfect before the white man showed up (i mean, fair) but also the tribal cultures were presented as frozen in time and not out there building large scale irrigation networks or planting trees for later harvest.

NGDBSS posted:

They stuck their dick in that hornets' nest with the Nuwashi i think.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

citybeatnik posted:

Their tribal Totem literally eats folks yeah - which not only gets a headscratch from a cultural appropriation aspect but also the violation of werewolf law about, you know, not eating people.

Both them and the Uktena also lean way heavy in to the magical native american thing, where everything was perfect before the white man showed up (i mean, fair) but also the tribal cultures were presented as frozen in time and not out there building large scale irrigation networks or planting trees for later harvest.

They stuck their dick in that hornets' nest with the Nuwashi i think.

Ahh yes, Nuwisha, the splat that had "Pants?" on their character sheet

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

citybeatnik posted:

The problem with the... well, both Native American tribes (and also the Croatan, but they're dead) is lumping in dozens of different cultures under a single 'thing' and that 'thing' in the case of northern tribes is they got an evil cannibal spirit from Algonquin folklore. It's a very odd choice that comes off as 'We need something for a Native American tribe!' and they picked the wendigo because it sounded cool. Uktena isn't much better because that's a whole lot of tribes under a Cherokee name, but at least the Horned Serpent isn't actively malicious and you've had similar-ish creatures show up in myths in other parts of the world.

Needless to say the W5 crew has a big task ahead of them.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Bummed to miss out on Adventure if they launch it on Indiegogo and not Kickstarter, but I am sure it will do well enough to come out on Drive-thru eventually.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Reflections85 posted:

A bit off topic, but what authors do you think have taken Lovecraft further and turned it inside out? I've never loved Lovecraft myself, but I've enjoyed some of the cosmic horror and new weird fiction that has a debt to him.
Thomas Ligotti goes even further into cosmic pessimism and has a hefty additional dose of depression and self-loathing. His stuff is a trip.

Ramsey Campbell's earliest stuff was competent pastiche but once his work matured he had a real fine line in remembering that cosmic horror doesn't have to be divorced from plausible characterisation, depictions of real social issues, etc. This Three Births of Daoloth trilogy (The Searching Dead, Born to the Dark, and The Way of the Worm) tells a Mythos story spanning some 60 years or so and is real good.

EDIT: poo poo, sorry, didn't realise how far back that was. Still, I stand by the above.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

A Ligotti-themed Demon campaign sounds loving legit.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Reflections85 posted:

A bit off topic, but what authors do you think have taken Lovecraft further and turned it inside out? I've never loved Lovecraft myself, but I've enjoyed some of the cosmic horror and new weird fiction that has a debt to him.

Depends on what you mean and what you've already read.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

lol hell yeah

did almost say "ligotti themed changeling game" but I'm not that confident about my changeling knowledge

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tulip posted:

lol hell yeah

did almost say "ligotti themed changeling game" but I'm not that confident about my changeling knowledge
Ligotti's dominant themes of "dolls are scary" and "I'm very depressed" do seem to suit Changeling well

DantetheK9
Feb 2, 2020

Just...so fucking tired.

Turns out W20 isn't completely dead. New book announced today, Dawkins described it on Twitter as the W20 equivalent to Beckett's Jyhad Diary

http://theonyxpath.com/in-like-a-victorian-lion-monday-meeting-notes/

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Odds that W5 might be on the chopping block?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Nonzero but close to zero I'd say.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Maybe this is meant to be a bridge like the Jyhad Diary sort of was then.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

My Work Is Not Yet Done could probably work as inspirational material for any of these.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Warthur posted:

My Work Is Not Yet Done could probably work as inspirational material for any of these.
:ssh: That and Conspiracy Against the Human Race are usually in my inspirational rotation when coming up with a PC for most games

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Ligotti is nWoD, Laird Barron is oWoD.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Kurieg posted:

Nonzero but close to zero I'd say.

I wonder how well V5 has done as a product line. Having actually seen a copy on a shelf for sale makes me assume pretty well but with the way the industry is now it is hard to tell.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I wonder how well V5 has done as a product line. Having actually seen a copy on a shelf for sale makes me assume pretty well but with the way the industry is now it is hard to tell.

PDFs seem to do well at DTRPG. Chicago by Night is a Platinum Seller.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Yeah, I gotta assume that a good fraction if not the majority of TTRPGs are played on roll20 and discord nowadays, and the books are all PDFs. That's how I've been doing it the past 3 years at least, anyway.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Crasical posted:

Yeah, I gotta assume that a good fraction if not the majority of TTRPGs are played on roll20 and discord nowadays, and the books are all PDFs. That's how I've been doing it the past 3 years at least, anyway.

It's weird, I've jumped into digital comics with both feet years and years ago, but I cannot play an rpg using only a pdf, I need that physical book to flip through. pdfs are reference only for me.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Soonmot posted:

It's weird, I've jumped into digital comics with both feet years and years ago, but I cannot play an rpg using only a pdf, I need that physical book to flip through. pdfs are reference only for me.
My biggest problem with digital tabletop gaming (and I've been playing it exclusively digital for over a decade now, good lord) is that (1) Acrobat is the shittiest program on earth and (2) rules tend to be scattered across so many things. So if I'm playing CtL, I've got the CoD core book, the CtL core book, the companion book open, and hoping I don't get a "no more memory sorry boss" error message on one of the too-many-layers-for-what's-there pages.

Just making characters for Scion itself requires 3-5 books open depending on what you're doing. I miss print.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

My biggest problem with digital tabletop gaming (and I've been playing it exclusively digital for over a decade now, good lord) is that (1) Acrobat is the shittiest program on earth and (2) rules tend to be scattered across so many things. So if I'm playing CtL, I've got the CoD core book, the CtL core book, the companion book open, and hoping I don't get a "no more memory sorry boss" error message on one of the too-many-layers-for-what's-there pages.

Just making characters for Scion itself requires 3-5 books open depending on what you're doing. I miss print.

Use SumatraPDF, you poor thing.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I go with Foxit, which is also pretty decent and way lighter than Acrobat.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
For running games online, the two hugest improvements I've found in my quality of life were getting a second monitor and getting a better pdf reader (started with Foxit, now I use Sumatra).

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I've been wanting to run a game of promethean so I asked my fiancee if she wanted to ask her one tabletop rpg friend if he wanted to play promethean, but he didn't know what it was and my fiancee only knows about it from me telling her and reading a couple of the firestorm chronicles stories to her so it was like a game of telephone.

So she describes promethean to her friend and somehow she managed to perfectly describe geist lol. She had never even heard of geist.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Attorney at Funk posted:

For running games online, the two hugest improvements I've found in my quality of life were getting a second monitor and getting a better pdf reader (started with Foxit, now I use Sumatra).

It helped me to cut out relevant portions I thought I'd need later and paste it in a big document. Any NPC disciplines, weapon stats, character stats I'd need to reference later, it all went in the document. Made ones for characters too, any special attacks they might want to make, what to use their blood for. Fun stuff.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

Sumatra seems really nice and light weight, though not being able to edit character sheets is a major downside

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

midwifecrisis posted:

Sumatra seems really nice and light weight, though not being able to edit character sheets is a major downside
The appropriate sicko mode is making your sheets in google sheets for everything.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The appropriate sicko mode is making your sheets in google sheets for everything.

how dare you call me out like this

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

One of my players did this and I thought it was weird, but then I started copying him and now I can't stop. Send help.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

This is just smart. It has made generating whole encounters go from "I need to start now if I want them to fight this by the end of the month" to "number here, number there, yeah that looks fine. I am ready for tonight!"

Put rules you use often, e.g. Conditions, in its own tab on the sheet. Hell, put the name of an ability in a cell and the full text of the ability in a comment on the cell!

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

Heck I’ll take recommendations for good Google sheets then...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

midwifecrisis posted:

Heck I’ll take recommendations for good Google sheets then...

CoD 2e (most splats)
Scion 2e