Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

why can i never find these buyers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rytheric posted:

No worse. I took out my personal stock portfolio and earnings to pay for it and getting it more road worthy. Most the stock I had increased 10x during the pandemic, but once the pandemic hit I didn't have enough disposable income to reinvest while the market sky rocketed.

This is bad, but definitely not worse.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

I would like to point out Kelley Blue Book for a NON-SALVAGE 1996 E-350 V8 gasoline in 'fair' condition is $2000 at the absolute upper end for private party sale.

Kelley's definition of 'fair':
"""
Fair condition means that the vehicle has some mechanical or cosmetic defects and needs servicing but is still in reasonable running condition. This vehicle has a clean Title History, the paint, body and/or interior need work performed by a professional. The tires may need to be replaced.
"""

This box truck you have is not worth that. It will likely never be right at least not without spending an amount of money that would buy you a better vehicle. Even a better vehicle for your goals.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

stealie72 posted:

Edit: Also, I don't know what your obsession with insulation is about, but you are never going to find a vehicle that is insulated as well as a home that is not a vehicle. Every vehicle's insulation is "meh" as a trade off for not having 6 inch thick walls

That's why I added 6 inch walls.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Fermented Tinal posted:

Please dear god tell me you did not take a loan out for this piece of poo poo, Ry.

Rytheric posted:

It's a shortish long story. But $2000. I gave the guy an extra $500 to hold on to it until I got the money out of my stock portfolio as I had competition from other tiny curious diyers. I also got scammed during this transaction, but thats another story.

Are you brave enough to venture into the depths of what's in his portfolio?

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Rytheric posted:

So. GroverTruk was in an accident the year before last and was totaled by an Insurance company because although it was mainly cosmetic damage the value of the repair exceed the cost of the vehicle. It was sold at an auto auction for $500. Then someone repaired it and got a restored title for it. How I got scammed as pointed out to me by a goose was that they got the title washed prior to selling it to me or it somehow got washed when I titled it by the officer entering something incorrectly while they were checking to make sure it wasn't stolen and if it was road enough worthy. One of those things happened. Apparently washing a vehicle title is a federal offense that is not enforced in my state which allowed this to happen. if its not disclosed that it was washed to the next purchaser though that's another federal offense which makes it harder to sell.

How the deal went down was sketch but not uncommon in where I'm from in west virginia. I bought it off a guy in my town, but it was a virginia title with some dealer in Georgia as the name on the bill of sale. The actual seller just told me that he just didn't get around to titling it himself. Which isn't uncommon in weet virginia as some people are simply too porr to title a vehicle sometimes.

Prior to my acquisition GroverTruk was used as a mobile side of the road repair truck that could switch out people's tires and such.

I was going to give the seller an extra $500 on top of what I gave him over the purchase price for being such a good fellow, but my girl friend at the time talked me out of it.

Lmao

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Rytheric posted:

That's why I added 6 inch walls.

But you didn't add 6 inches of insulation. Just a layer of Reflectix as far as I can see.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

beep-beep car is go posted:

But you didn't add 6 inches of insulation. Just a layer of Reflectix as far as I can see.

No, there's fiberglass batting in a later picture.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Rytheric posted:

I have 3 modes of eating. Which I seem to cycle through.

1. Nothing but fresh fruits and veggies.
2. Huel
3. $20-$40 of kfc or bojangles a day.

None of these options require refrigeration, so I don't account for it. I've been fridge free for 4 years now.

Ry I like you and i want you to succeed but at this rate they're going to find your bloated, desiccated corpse in the back of the Grovertruk and they're not going to know whether it's choking, a heart attack, or asphyxiation via carbon monoxide poisoning

please do not eat $20-$40 worth of fast food a day you will not live for much longer if you keep this up

Seth Pecksniff fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 2, 2021

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

Paladinus posted:

Are you brave enough to venture into the depths of what's in his portfolio?

At the time I had nio. Bought at 2.5 sold at 5. Bought back in at 18 sold at 22. Cleveland cliffs bought a 7 sold at 11. Amrn bought at 12 sold at 20 something. (This one was actually good that I got out of). Enphase I bought at 30 sold at like 50. If I held all those positions with the exception of amrn I'd be great.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rytheric posted:

No worse. I took out my personal stock portfolio and earnings to pay for it and getting it more road worthy. Most the stock I had increased 10x during the pandemic, but once the pandemic hit I didn't have enough disposable income to reinvest while the market sky rocketed.

No, you took it out of a tax sheltered retirement account. And haven't realized you now need to pay a 10% penalty plus your marginal tax rate by April 15th of this year.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

I put In standard r15 2x4 insulation

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Motronic posted:

No, you took it out of a tax sheltered retirement account. And haven't realized you now need to pay a 10% penalty plus your marginal tax rate by April 15th of this year.

No that's how I was going to pay for my land. I bought the GroverTruk by cashing out my stock portfolio.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Rytheric posted:

At the time I had nio. Bought at 2.5 sold at 5. Bought back in at 18 sold at 22. Cleveland cliffs bought a 7 sold at 11. Amrn bought at 12 sold at 20 something. (This one was actually good that I got out of). Enphase I bought at 30 sold at like 50. If I held all those positions with the exception of amrn I'd be great.

wait hold up hold up

I'm not a fancy financial analyst, but you went in at 2.5, sold at 5, and then went in at 18 and sold at 22? Instead of hodling that?

I mean no you can't really time the market nor individual stocks but i'm unsure this was a very wise investment. You really didn't gain a lot tbh and you lost a really good chance at going nearly 10x from your original purchase

I could be wrong though! I'm no Warren Buffet

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rytheric posted:

No that's how I was going to pay for my land. I bought the GroverTruk by cashing out my stock portfolio.

Wow, this just keeps on getting deeper. You have an under-funded 401(k) and you've got a taxable brokerage account that you're day trading in. I'd suggest not doing that and instead getting your gambling fix in toilet eve.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Rytheric posted:

I gave the guy an extra $500 to hold on to it

By no means am I a finance person, but it may be a good plan to go into these potential purchases ready to walk away or roll the dice on someone else buying it instead of throwing extra money at people to hold on to things while you get the cash. That seems to be a recurring theme.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
He would've cashed it all to buy GME and been left holding the bag at the end. At least this way his money bought him something tangible before evapourating, instead of just evapourating.

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:

nadmonk posted:

If they do the proper inspection they are supposed to do in NC, they probably won't let him drive it either. Although maybe there are commercial vehicle exemptions I'm not aware of.

When I lived there I had to replace a taillight lens because it had a crack in it (not broken and was fully functional, mind you) within a certain amount of time for them to pass inspection for my truck.

NC inspections vary a lot depending on the county you live in,the age of the vehicle, and the level of fucks given by the shop. I've had several cars pass repeatedly at one garage and then fail at another. It all depends on their interpretation of the inspection guidelines.
In my time working at a shop, I only saw us fail one vehicle for true safety concerns, and that was due to a failed brake system(multiple fluid leaks and two seized calipers, had to use the ebrake to get it to acutally stop), not worn out suspension.

Rytheric posted:

So. GroverTruk was in an accident the year before last and was totaled by an Insurance company because although it was mainly cosmetic damage the value of the repair exceed the cost of the vehicle. It was sold at an auto auction for $500. Then someone repaired it and got a restored title for it. How I got scammed as pointed out to me by a goose was that they got the title washed prior to selling it to me or it somehow got washed when I titled it by the officer entering something incorrectly while they were checking to make sure it wasn't stolen and if it was road enough worthy. One of those things happened. Apparently washing a vehicle title is a federal offense that is not enforced in my state which allowed this to happen. if its not disclosed that it was washed to the next purchaser though that's another federal offense which makes it harder to sell.

Whatever goose told you that was full of poo poo. Titles can be washed in a variety of state patterns that I am not going to share here for obvious reasons. Is it moral or honest? gently caress no, but its gray area legal. If you have a clear NC title on that thing you can sell it without it being some kind of nebulous federal offense. If the NC DMV hosed up your titling process, that is on them, not you. You probably know what I'm going to say here, but walk away from buying any vehicle in the future that has a sketchy trail of ownership and can't just sign over a clear title to you.

Your almost 10k for grovertruk/budgeted repairs/4 figure telescope could have gotten you a used camping trailer and a beater F150/Silverado/Ram which would have given you a place to live in and a vehicle to get to work. You could have gone even cheaper with a lighter duty SUV and a popup camper too. To say that somehow a used RV wouldn't have the insulation you wanted, but a random box truck somehow would is dishonest. I had a friend who lived in an RV over the winter up here in the mountains, and it was fine. That thing was a real old piece of poo poo that wasn't as nice as what you could get either. Old RVs and campers have plenty of potential problems for sure, but would make for a better starting platform for your needs. It gives you a good place to stay while building a tiny house on a nice piece of land too :)

You have the money to get yourself a better starting truk and camper/RV to live in. You deserve to have a nicer place to live than you currently do. Why not done?

Also as a fellow NCer, whats your normal bojangles order? I usually go for the cajun filet biscuit or the supremes dinner, though the smoked sausage biscuit and the cheddar bo are solid options for breakfast too. Haven't been since the pandemic though :smith:

Feel free to ignore my entire post other than the bojangles question.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Hey have you tried not using the stock market as a savings account and setting up a realistic budget?
Have you thought about researching your purchases and plans?
Have you tried getting someone who might not get scammed in every transaction to act as an assistant?

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Ardemia posted:

Also as a fellow NCer, whats your normal bojangles order? I usually go for the cajun filet biscuit or the supremes dinner, though the smoked sausage biscuit and the cheddar bo are solid options for breakfast too. Haven't been since the pandemic though :smith:

Large Mac n cheese + 10 homestyle tenders with honey mustard.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Ardemia posted:

Guess what he did.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

So. I just bought the carfax report for GroverTruk (should probably do this prior to future purchases). GroverTruk was a commercial vehicle twice for 5 year intervals with private owners in-between. Only has emission test problems in Texas prior to the accident. Odometer looks like it was rewound from. 140k back down to 118k

The_Muncher
Mar 2, 2021

Rytheric posted:

How the deal went down was sketch but not uncommon in where I'm from in west virginia. I bought it off a guy in my town, but it was a virginia title with some dealer in Georgia as the name on the bill of sale. The actual seller just told me that he just didn't get around to titling it himself. Which isn't uncommon in weet virginia as some people are simply too porr to title a vehicle sometimes.

Prior to my acquisition GroverTruk was used as a mobile side of the road repair truck that could switch out people's tires and such.

I was going to give the seller an extra $500 on top of what I gave him over the purchase price for being such a good fellow, but my girl friend at the time talked me out of it.

Hi Ry,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

So to be clear here, you do own the truck, went and registered it with your local DMV or Tax Collector or whatever? You didn't just hand some really good fellow that had already scammed you a couple thousand bucks for a "title"?

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Rytheric posted:

Large Mac n cheese + 10 homestyle tenders with honey mustard.

The tenders are: 490 Cal for 4. so 10 are 1225 Calories, 2825mg of Sodium (!)
The Mac n Cheese is: 870 Calories, 2550mg Sodium

So that one meal is 2095 Calories, 5375mg Sodium (!!!)

Info from here: https://www.bojangles.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/BOJ-NutritionWallSign-11x17-Pepsi-2019.pdf

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Info from here: https://www.bojangles.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/BOJ-NutritionWallSign-11x17-Pepsi-2019.pdf

I eat that twice a dayish now. I use to eat a 9 piece dark buck at kfc once or twice a day. Now it's 9 piece and large Mac and cheese. Once or twice a day. Added Mac and cheese this past month or two, and im sure I am stress eating from trying to buy the land of MurderHaus. I use to just eat a 9 piece dark once a day. Rarely twice.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Ry, I know I've shitpost in the past, but I really have a legitimate question that I don't think you've gone into before:

You've talked about your income and what your finances are generally like. We all know what you can afford. So my question is: why do you not just get a rental agreement or a mortgage on an actual house, instead of being borderline homeless in a truck that is trying to kill you? I mean I get the appeal of DIY stuff, but this seems to be much deeper than that?

Are you a wild person who is somehow mentally unable to cope with things like modern plumbing? Like two steps away from being an early-season monster of the week episode of the X-Files, except instead of being able to turn your body into goo that slithers between cracks in doors, you are just compelled to poop out in nature?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Insert cheap "no wonder the suspension is hosed" joke here.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Drone posted:

Ry, I know I've shitpost in the past, but I really have a legitimate question that I don't think you've gone into before:

You've talked about your income and what your finances are generally like. We all know what you can afford. So my question is: why do you not just get a rental agreement or a mortgage on an actual house, instead of being borderline homeless in a truck that is trying to kill you? I mean I get the appeal of DIY stuff, but this seems to be much deeper than that?

Are you a wild person who is somehow mentally unable to cope with things like modern plumbing? Like two steps away from being an early-season monster of the week episode of the X-Files, except instead of being able to turn your body into goo that slithers between cracks in doors, you are just compelled to poop out in nature?

nah it's a i hate being in debt thing

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Rytheric posted:

So. I just bought the carfax report for GroverTruk (should probably do this prior to future purchases). GroverTruk was a commercial vehicle twice for 5 year intervals with private owners in-between. Only has emission test problems in Texas prior to the accident. Odometer looks like it was rewound from. 140k back down to 118k

Christ 2000 bucks for a literal pile of poo poo vehicle not counting labor and parts cost. Junk the grovertruk before it costs you more money or your life, and do literally any of the other suggestions.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Rytheric posted:

:ck5:L:ck5:

:ck5:M:ck5:

:ck5:A:ck5:

:ck5:O:ck5:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Rytheric posted:

I eat that twice a dayish now. I use to eat a 9 piece dark buck at kfc once or twice a day. Now it's 9 piece and large Mac and cheese. Once or twice a day. Added Mac and cheese this past month or two, and im sure I am stress eating from trying to buy the land of MurderHaus. I use to just eat a 9 piece dark once a day. Rarely twice.

2095 Calories, 5375mg Sodium

twice a day

so 4190 calories and 10,750 sodium a day and that's probably without soda?

I'm... i don't even know what to think right now

i mean don't get me wrong I do love me my fast food but Jesus Ry you are going to die.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

What's better is if I remember the bigger meals come in 12 pack, not ten, and they're supposed to be for whole families or tailgating. Also comes with 6 biscuits or so. Rytheric can't count the chickens down his hatch.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

low key sex master posted:

Jesus Ry you are going to die.
We've been saying this for pages now, but he won't listen.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Drone posted:

I don't want the debt. I kind of took to Dave Ramsey kind of hard. I was turning my wheels and barely staying afloat with an overpriced apartment and financing a 2019 Subaru crosstrek/2020 subaru ascent on top of student loans. Following Dave Ramseys advice and my bosses advise I got rid of the apartment and my Subarus and decided from then on I'd either buy a home in cash or borrow from my 401k which I recall getting the idea from minority mindset and my boss.

I wanted to start cheap like my grandparents did. Buy a small house or trailer and build onto it. Or fix a piece of junk to fix up as a starter. Yall gave me crap for scope creep on MurderHaus, but even if it ran up to 100k it would be cheaper than the double wide that the owner lives in.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
rytheric you still havent explained *why* you are soulbonded to the truck you got scammed into buying, merely *that* you are

what will happen if you get rid of it before it dies its final death (remember: this truck already was totaled and deemed worthless by people whose *entire job* it is to correctly quickly and accurately assess worth as measured in real actual money dollars)

every penny you spend on parts and every second of labor you put in (again, measured at your hourly rate for external employment) is part of the sale price that you did not figure into the sale calculations because the scammer dangled a 'limited time offer' lure

there is no such thing as a limited time offer when it comes to actual reputable and reliable transactors; it is always a red flag waving to get you to blindly charge ahead

rytheric please get yourself a spendthrift trust and stop throwing your money into a firepit

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
dave ramsey, of course

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

You may not like it but this is what peak fiscal performance looks like **huffing carbon monoxide between bites of daily allotment of $40 of fast food while withdrawing from my retirement account to overpay for the privilege of getting to poop in a hole in the ground**

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

the paradigm shift posted:

nah it's a i hate being in debt thing

• Takes out $2,000 loan from loanshark for an impuse buy big rear end telescope for reasons unkonwn
  • Wants to take out a 401k loan from himself to buy property
  • keeps "borrowing" from investments to pay for poo poo
  • doesn't have a savings account, puts as much money in 401k to avoid spending it
  • likes focusing on the solutions not the problems

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Who the gently caress is Dave Ramsey? I'm not googling this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Fermented Tinal posted:

Who the gently caress is Dave Ramsey? I'm not googling this poo poo.

culty boomer folk financial "wisdom" guy, he's literally pure trash and so is his advice