Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

grieving for Gandalf posted:

are we just all assuming the Replicant remake is going to have shenanigans going on

Yes that would be a very safe bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Play it. It owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfRu7z_MDOM

Also, everyone must one day face THE FLOWER.

This Silence is Mine is, for me, the crowning achievement of Okabe's music and basically redeemed any ill will I had towards the game's poor performance. It just hits so god drat hard and the performance is so good. In a game with so much loving, This Silence is Mine is the thing that fucks the most.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

grieving for Gandalf posted:

are we just all assuming the Replicant remake is going to have shenanigans going on

I don't remember his exact wording, it's probably somewhere earlier in this thread, but it's been heavily implied that it will even if we probably would have assumed it anyway.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Papa Nier is gonna be The Shadow Lord.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Organza Quiz posted:

I don't remember his exact wording, it's probably somewhere earlier in this thread, but it's been heavily implied that it will even if we probably would have assumed it anyway.
fairly sure the automata-only VAs have been pulled in for this as well, but that might be outside of the main story

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Weird BIAS posted:

This Silence is Mine is, for me, the crowning achievement of Okabe's music and basically redeemed any ill will I had towards the game's poor performance. It just hits so god drat hard and the performance is so good. In a game with so much loving, This Silence is Mine is the thing that fucks the most.

It's suuuch a good song.

I'm still a bit sad that only the first Drakengard goes for the insane modern classical music style though. It's very unique in gaming.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

new Nier Replicant trailer, get it while it's hot!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oeGxoTFF18

dunno if i'm ever gonna get used to smol nier

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Kaine only has the flower in post-timeskip scenes. Hmmm...

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
lmao at the cowards getting rid of Kaine's bulge

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Homora Gaykemi posted:

lmao at the cowards getting rid of Kaine's bulge

Was it ever actually visible?

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
Here is the English version of the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjjJbd-pa8g

It looks to be Opening Intro of the original Nier Replicant in Japan.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Beefstew posted:

Was it ever actually visible?

i never saw it in the game but i saw someone mention it elsewhere and then when i was watching a comparison of this new video side by side with the PS3 one it was like "oh, huh"

in non-creepy-crotch discussion, sucks that we won't be booting the game up to "Weiss! You DUMBASS!" if they're going with this opening

Homora Gaykemi fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 25, 2021

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Homora Gaykemi posted:

i never saw it in the game but i saw someone mention it elsewhere and then when i was watching a comparison of this new video side by side with the PS3 one it was like "oh, huh"

in non-creepy-crotch discussion, sucks that we won't be booting the game up to "Weiss! You DUMBASS!" if they're going with this opening

Hopefully it will remain. There was still an intro video after the "Weiss! You dumbass!" thing.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
The English Voice cast for Nier Replicant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n26YT8RW-WM

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Cool that they got everyone back (except Jamieson Price as Dad Nier, obviously), loving lmao that they told Aguilar and Chase not to model their performances off each other, that rules

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Ray Chase seems a pretty cool choice for the older Brother Nier. As much of an unfinished mishmash as FFXV was the bros were the heart that carried the game and he did an older, punished version of the protagonist there too.

Dangit, they're almost getting me to want this. Maybe I'll just replay the 360 version when this comes out unless it turns out there's some extra Taro shenanigans added to the story of the new version

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Homora Gaykemi posted:

Ray Chase seems a pretty cool choice for the older Brother Nier. As much of an unfinished mishmash as FFXV was the bros were the heart that carried the game and he did an older, punished version of the could protagonist there too.

Dangit, they're almost getting me to want this. Maybe I'll just replay the 360 version when this comes out unless it turns out there's some extra Taro shenanigans added to the story of the new version

You know Yoko Taro is going to Yoko Taro. Someone here suggested that the reason there's no Papa Nier is because he's the Shadowlord now, and I think that's probably going to be correct. I could have sworn I heard a shadow filtered version of his voice in that new video that dropped a few days ago. If y'all want me to I can try and timestamp it later. But there's almost zero chance this is a straight one for one remake.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Soysaucebeast posted:

You know Yoko Taro is going to Yoko Taro. Someone here suggested that the reason there's no Papa Nier is because he's the Shadowlord now, and I think that's probably going to be correct. I could have sworn I heard a shadow filtered version of his voice in that new video that dropped a few days ago. If y'all want me to I can try and timestamp it later. But there's almost zero chance this is a straight one for one remake.

calling it; we fight sephiroth at the end

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Soysaucebeast posted:

Someone here suggested that the reason there's no Papa Nier is because he's the Shadowlord now, and I think that's probably going to be correct.

This doesn't make sense to me because the big twist is that Shadowlord is as close to being literally Nier himself as you can get without actually being him. How would moving away from that work with the theme of the game?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Hikaki posted:

This doesn't make sense to me because the big twist is that Shadowlord is as close to being literally Nier himself as you can get without actually being him. How would moving away from that work with the theme of the game?

This whole time you thought that the Shadowlord was you, but it was actually me, your father! :v:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Hikaki posted:

"You thought this was a Nier remaster, didn't you?"

:yokotaro:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The true final boss will be the shithoglord

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

The true final boss will be 2b as she has spent untold millennia recreating the humans and trying to hasten their downfall via white chlorination syndrome to create the scenario that will allow 9S to be created so she can be with him once again.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Madmarker posted:

The true final boss will be 2b as she has spent untold millennia recreating the humans and trying to hasten their downfall via white chlorination syndrome to create the scenario that will allow 9S to be created so she can be with him once again.

What is grief, but [BLEEP] persevering?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The most Yoko Taro thing at this point would be to just do a completely straight remake.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I recall reading that Papa Neir and Bro Neir both technically existed, and whether the father or the brother dies is a timeline difference.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

History Comes Inside! posted:

The most Yoko Taro thing at this point would be to just do a completely straight remake.

And then to drop a hint that there's a single undiscovered secret, but not actually put it in the game

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

And then to drop a hint that there's a single undiscovered secret, but not actually put it in the game

Well...how else are you going to spin off into a musical theater performance that delves into the dark secret origins of your video game.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

History Comes Inside! posted:

I legitimately think this is gonna happen. Maybe with like one extra Automata-linked side quest. I don't actually believe he's gonna go Nomura on this one.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I wonder if they'll actually go ahead and put the scrapped ending in.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What was the scrapped ending?

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
Wasn't there a dlc for the original game where you played as Nier in his childhood (his "father" in the jp version) and even had a Virtual Cop first person rail shooter sequence in it?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Hunt11 posted:

What was the scrapped ending?

Takes place after ending D, and has Kaine go to the Forest of Myth to talk to the huge tree that's actually a Replicant system reset switch. After trashing the thing, she's able to restore Nier to life using the Forests memories of him when he first appeared in the village.

The ending got cut due to budget constraints. Its why you can see that the Tree has an entrance to its insides, but you can't walk through it.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Archer666 posted:

Takes place after ending D, and has Kaine go to the Forest of Myth to talk to the huge tree that's actually a Replicant system reset switch. After trashing the thing, she's able to restore Nier to life using the Forests memories of him when he first appeared in the village.

The ending got cut due to budget constraints. Its why you can see that the Tree has an entrance to its insides, but you can't walk through it.

It's also probably the ending that leads to Automata, although which of them does really isn't important because nothing really comes up.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:
I want the ending where she fucks the corpse of a Nier look-a-like and runs screaming into the woods.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
So Automata is out on PC Game Pass today

some people have it installed and it seems it might be a different port than the steam version? Has a 2018 copyright, has some new PC settings features, and looks like it might be ported from/based on the Xbox Become As Gods edition?

If it really is the better PC version of the game that will be wild as the steam version is STILL unpatched 4 years later

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

RubberLuffy posted:

So Automata is out on PC Game Pass today

some people have it installed and it seems it might be a different port than the steam version? Has a 2018 copyright, has some new PC settings features, and looks like it might be ported from/based on the Xbox Become As Gods edition?

If it really is the better PC version of the game that will be wild as the steam version is STILL unpatched 4 years later

I played it this weekend and can confirm the performance is much, much better for me than the Steam version with fan patch. I was able to max out the settings (with one exception) and go up to 2160p and still have a smooth framerate (with a GTX 3070 / i7 6700K). The only setting I don't have maxed out is anti-aliasing. When I turn on anti-aliasing the entire screen goes black, and I couldn't find a way to change it back without deleting the config file. By the standards of Nier:A on PC though I'd still call that a win.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I've been playing it on Game Pass and if this is considered good performance, the Steam version must be loving dire. The frame dips are frequent and while it's not unplayable, it certainly isn't what I'd call good or even okay. It also looks like dogshit to the point that I'm wondering if there are driver issues with my GPU, the aliasing is outrageous and it looks like everything in the distance is rendering at 480p

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

treat posted:

I've been playing it on Game Pass and if this is considered good performance, the Steam version must be loving dire. The frame dips are frequent and while it's not unplayable, it certainly isn't what I'd call good or even okay. It also looks like dogshit to the point that I'm wondering if there are driver issues with my GPU, the aliasing is outrageous and it looks like everything in the distance is rendering at 480p

My home system didn't have any issues with the version released on Steam. Then again, it may just be one of those combinations of parts that hits the game's sweet spot.

For reference: i5-8400, GTX 1060 6GB, 16 GB system RAM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

It runs surprisingly capably at 1080p on a 1090t black 8gb ram and 1070. It eventually hardlocks after an hour and I don't know why but before crashing its a solid 60fps. Steam nier would never run well even with kmod on the same setup. On my 3770k 1070ti it runs great at 1440p while steam struggled slightly and was still pretty unstable and finnicky.