Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

banned from Starbucks posted:

Its especially strange because when Ripley goes to take her nap she sees Gorman has woken up from his coma and Burke is right there and shes just like :shrug:
Does she think Burkes is just gonna accept his punishment? Does she know Gorman will grow a spine? Is she confident in Hicks ability to remain in charge? I guess shes just sleepy and needs to think about it.

It's just an extended version of the familiar perverse scenario where the hero subdues the villain, then just leaves them - turning their back and walking away, because "I'm better than that" or something. Then, as expected, the villain pulls a gun out of their rear end and the hero instantly caps 'em.

Why choose between 'retaining your honor' and executing the villain, when you can have both? Cameron's too savvy to end the movie with Burke merely facing charges, even though that would be the 'honest' version of the ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the villain is executed but I think it's his own hubris and stupidity that dun him in, as opposed to Ripley

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

alf_pogs posted:

i like thinking about this compared to David, who is programmed to apparently be sarcastic to the point of confusion

David was a one of a kind attempt for Weyland to make a perfect son for himself though so that makes sense for me.

The part during the Prometheus briefing where he explains how he completely loving failed at that but in a way that's just him making GBS threads on David's existence and Vickers also despite her basically being the perfect kid was really effective with that too.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Amarcarts posted:

Re-watching Resurrection for the first time in a while now. I think it's an interesting movie and underrated. Look at it through the lens of the idea of an artist forced to work under the oppressive demands of a studio and a lot of the scenes take on new meaning.
I rewatched it a few weeks ago and it was a fascinating movie. It really does feel like a Jeunet Aliens welded to a Whedon Space Pirates movie. Like, it almost feels like they traded off directing scenes. The Jeunet movie is actually very good, with some subtle comedy--some of the closeups of xenomorph puppets screaming feels silly, like a parrot begging for food.

It's weird how Whedon was at one point seen as a scrappy nerd-made-good artiste, and is now increasingly seen as mediocre pap forced on better artists to make their work more accessible.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 14, 2021

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.

Halloween Jack posted:

I rewatched it a few weeks ago and it was a fascinating movie. It really does feel like a Jeunet Aliens welded to a Whedon Space Pirates movie. Like, it almost feels like they traded off directing scenes. The Jeunet movie is actually very good, with some subtle comedy--some of the closeups of xenomorph puppets screaming feels silly, like a parrot begging for food.

It's weird how Whedon was at one point seen as a scrappy nerd-made-good artiste, and is now increasingly seen as mediocre pap forced on better artists to make their work more accessible.

Was it the first time someone tried to depict a "secure" caging system for the Xenos or had their been novels that went into it? It's been a long running part of the EU to have stories involving these systems inevitably failing.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Do you mean caging individual Aliens specifically?

They do it to lone Aliens in Labyrinth, Music of the Spears, and the AvP2010 video game, off the top of my head. They do it to groups or entire hives in the AvP2 PC game, Stronghold, Rogue, and I think Criminal Enterprise?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Amarcarts posted:

Was it the first time someone tried to depict a "secure" caging system for the Xenos or had their been novels that went into it? It's been a long running part of the EU to have stories involving these systems inevitably failing.
Oh, you should read the Dark Horse comics some time, where it's a recurring theme. Caging, studying, and farming the xenomorphs has become rote and predictable--until, as in a zombie movie, human greed and insanity gently caress everything up and let them loose.

Aliens: Stronghold is an example. They've got a xenomorph farm with blast doors, acid-neutralizing gel, even pheromone emitters and synthetics that can fool the xenomorphs. But the guy running the place is loving his gynoid secretary and selling xeno-drugs on the black market.

VVVV In the comics they handwaved it away by coating everything in "neutra-gel."

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 14, 2021

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Is the acid blood ever elaborated on in the EU stuff? It seems odd in Resurrection that they'd be doing all this research on the xenos and keeping them in a cage with all these precautions but they don't build the cage out of materials that can withstand the acid? Is it just some sort of advanced space acid that humans haven't been able to come up with a counter to yet? It seems like a pretty obvious oversight.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

Neo Rasa posted:

David was a one of a kind attempt for Weyland to make a perfect son for himself though so that makes sense for me.

The part during the Prometheus briefing where he explains how he completely loving failed at that but in a way that's just him making GBS threads on David's existence and Vickers also despite her basically being the perfect kid was really effective with that too.

sadly, vickers had a fatal flaw that kept her from perfection in his eyes. she can't turn left.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
All the android talk has led me to start re-watching Westworld. I only ever watched the first season.

Loveshaft
Nov 3, 2020

Amarcarts posted:

All the android talk has led me to start re-watching Westworld. I only ever watched the first season.

Watch Raised By Wolves instead.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
All this Burke talk got me watching Outland again.

I used to be really down on Outland because of the extremely bad quality of the DVD, but the remastered blu-ray is revelatory. It’s a masterpiece - and, if there were a goopy monster in it, it’d easily top the list of Alien ripoffs (although the drug that effectively causes astronauts to hallucinate spiders and explode might as well count).

But the reason to bring it up now is that Outland has nearly the same story as Aliens. And, although it’s a movie about a hero cop doing a ‘war on drugs’ (there’s no getting around that fact), its politics are less reactionary than Aliens’.

I strongly recommended watching Outland in the best quality you can get.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I give Outland major kudos for pairing Sean Connery with a woman his own age.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Who wore it better?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

WY trooper fo sure. That dude owns.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The boots on the other guy look like they weigh 40 pounds apiece.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

PeterCat posted:

I give Outland major kudos for pairing Sean Connery with a woman his own age.

Technically speaking, the actress who plays O’Neil’s wife is ten years younger. The bigger accomplishment is that O’Neil isn’t really ‘paired up’ with Dr. Lazarus at all. So, although the film does end in loosely the same way as Aliens, you don’t have the thing where Ripley gets her groove back through a sexual relationship.

Other key differences between Outland and Aliens:

-Although Outland also focuses on a corrupt middle-management type as an antagonist, it’s repeatedly emphasized that the problems are systemic. The entire Io mining facility serves as an illustration of “the machine”.

-Adding to this, Outland’a story does not centre around some kind of exceptional catastrophic event that must be resolved to restore normalcy. Instead, O’Neil is the intolerable disruption of the deadening status quo. It’s also made fairly clear that the drug trade is far from the only problem in the facility.

-As noted earlier, Outland eschews metaphor and just straight-up says that the “aliens” are workers who’ve been driven insane by unsafe working conditions. But, unlike Ripley, O’Neil does his best to protect the from his fellow cops! Imagine, like, Ripley telling Vasquez not to shoot the aliens because they should be here to protect them. Also, in this sense, O’Neil defeats the “queen xenomorph” (a petty drug dealer) roughly halfway into the film because that’s not the real enemy.

-I like that Outland’s version of the “atmosphere processor” is just a huge greenhouse.

-In general, Outland has a far more convincing depiction of a mining colony as someplace where people actually live. It makes the ‘Special Edition’ scene with the kids on trikes look even sillier. There was seemingly never a point where Hadley’s Hope didn’t look like laser tag. Outland also shows the workers, y’know, working.

-On top of this, Outland avoids the obscurity of Aliens by featuring three distinct factions: the League of Industrial Nations (which is the government), Con-Am (the company), and an unnamed organized crime syndicate. I also appreciate that the “corporations have supplanted the government!” cyberpunk cliche is dispensed with; Con-Am is clearly subordinate to the L.I.N..

It’s also worth noting that, by not being part of a plot continuity, Outland can (and does) work best when viewed before Alien. It makes clear that, despite being more bombastic, Aliens is somewhat of a regression from the previous film.

Outland!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

McSpanky posted:

The boots on the other guy look like they weigh 40 pounds apiece.

It owns.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

just FYI for podcast fans, Gourley and Rust have dived into the Alien series and it's v enjoyable

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ll listen if they like Alien 3, Prometheus, and Covenant.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
They haven't gotten to Prometheus or Covenant yet, but they do like Alien³.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The assembly cut of Alien3 is loving awesome.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

alf_pogs posted:

just FYI for podcast fans, Gourley and Rust

Who?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I've tried and tried to like Alien 3. Seen every cut twice, no matter what I get extremely drowsy around the mid-point and can't stay engaged all the way through.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Basebf555 posted:

I've tried and tried to like Alien 3. Seen every cut twice, no matter what I get extremely drowsy around the mid-point and can't stay engaged all the way through.

Have you tried watching them a third, fourth, and fifth time?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So err what was the point of the EEV in 3? It didn't have engines or aero or a chute. Why were the cryo tubes loaded and ejected to a planet? Pure luck it landed in water and the passengers survived and were rescued. The lifeboat in 1 had engines.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

Shaocaholica posted:

So err what was the point of the EEV in 3? It didn't have engines or aero or a chute. Why were the cryo tubes loaded and ejected to a planet? Pure luck it landed in water and the passengers survived and were rescued. The lifeboat in 1 had engines.

A dumb wiki I googled because I was curious too posted:

The Type 337 is a 'dead drop' vehicle designed to fall unpowered from orbit until it reaches a lower atmosphere, where it will use its thrusters to break its descent. At this point, the EEV will deploy its tricycle undercarriage and uses its remaining fuel to set down at the landing site.

but

In Alien3, it is never stated why the EEV crashes fatally on Fiorina "Fury" 161 even though EEVs would presumably have to be fitted with some form of automated landing system (otherwise they would be essentially useless). However, the film was originally going to show how the Sulaco partially explodes as the EEV jettisons, with the concussion from this explosion damaging many of the escape unit's vital systems, including its guidance and landing capabilities.[12] This is why it slams into Fiorina's ocean instead of setting down gently on land. While cut from the film, this sequence was included in the novelization.[13]

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Lol thanks

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Hodgepodge posted:

sadly, vickers had a fatal flaw that kept her from perfection in his eyes. she can't turn left.

She tries to, stuff falls where she starts to run to the side, so she goes straight.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Cross posting and I'm sure it's been done to death but I picked up this bad boy today and one for my son's 10th birthday in the coolest covid 19 mask contest.

E: Sorry for the lovely quality

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 11, 2021

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I just listened to audibles production of William Gibson’s Alien 3 script and...I don’t think it’s very good? I suspect a lot of the hype it got was people just dissatisfied with the David Fincher Alien 3, but this doesent strike me as much better.

it’s kind of devoid of scenes that would make for interesting set pieces, or compelling characters. I don’t eve mean big action set pieces like aliens, there’s nothing it it that’s conceptually scary like say, Prometheus’ abortion scene.

it’s painfully obvious that it was written to write out Ripley at a point where it wasn’t clear Weaver would return and it suffers from it

The cold war analogies feel really ham handed.

“Setting the self destruct and running” is already cliche to the series 3 movies in, at least in this one they actually make it off 10 minutes before it blows rather than 3 seconds, which never seems to happen in movies.

The infection stuff was eventually done by Prometheus, and probably better.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Feb 21, 2021

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

YO, stop your grinnin’ and drop your linen, 4K Alien series set coming in 2022.

https://www.thedigitalfix.com/film/home-releases-news/aliens-exclusive/

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Great news, but I wonder how Aliens would hold up with that.

commielingus
Jan 23, 2021

by Athanatos

Xenomrph posted:

Really looking forward to a 4K Alien 3 look. They better do the extended cut as well.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Xenomrph posted:

Oh right, I see what you mean - if they were going to get picked up and immediately bug out then Bishop should have been on the dropship (and would have died with Ferro and Spunkmeyer).

Someone in that equation is an rear end in a top hat. :v:

Seem to recall the novelization actually said the dropship was going to pick up the Marines then go back to pick up Bishop right after. I'm guessing they figured he was less likely to be attacked in that time frame than the group that directly fled the nest and left a nice big trail for the aliens to them so they prioritized Ripley and company, which makes some sense.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Xenomrph posted:

I hope they do a AvP2 film and correct the lighting.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
New Aliens game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B63_ljZ91Mc

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Is it just me or is it like... and Aliens Looter Shooter? Looks okay, I like the visual detail but the animations are rough. Hopefully it turns out really good.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

After Colonial Marines I’m cautiously optimistic. The studio has been working on this for a while (in semi-secret; we knew they were making an Aliens game but nothing about the genre, gameplay, no screenshots until today). Hard to know if that’s a good thing or a bad thing in this case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Being owned by Daybreak is something that gives me pause but it looks cool.