Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Spoeank posted:

I was using your logic. How does Tom Riker exist as a perfect copy if Will Riker was taken apart and spare parts weren't used to rebuild him, because the process was aborted? You started with your theory and worked backwards.

Will Riker was taken apart, and spare parts used to assemble him, on board the Enterprise. Meanwhile, he was also "sent back" to the planet's surface. This is proof that the transporter puts you together from spare parts, and if that's true, then normally it kills you first. That's inherent in the idea of putting together a person from spare parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Barkley wasn't in the two Riker episode was he?

Feel like that could have been some good torture for him after getting over his phobia.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy
I have been having a terrible time sleeping so that just means I get to watch a bunch of shows! Watched all of the expanse, which while I may have a few gripes here or there has been entertaining. I then watched season 2 of the boys since I had been holding off on that one and really didn't enjoy it as much as season 1. I guess because of the main storyline or just the dialogue itself it all was just too fresh of what we have been putting up with in real life but that might just be me.

I think I'll watch season 2 of Mandolorian since my dad is behind Gina Carrano and doesn't want to watch it now. Still have Wandavision to watch as well.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
If the transporter is just moving Riker from point A to point B then a copy is impossible because where did it come from?

If it's reassembling him, then it necessarily has to destroy the original otherwise there would always be more than one. If it's disassembling him and then sending the actual molecules he was originally composed of, you run into that problem of how there can be two, where did that copy of them come from

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Pops Mgee posted:

I kinda want to start a ds9 rewatch but some of those episodes hit a little too hard right now.

I started watching DS9 a few months ago and stopped because I found every character annoying. I can't even explain why, they just all grated on me.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Freaquency posted:

God, I know. I feel terrible for the victims here, but also the first responders on this.

I can't emphasize enough how hard it is to immobilize and safely move a single patient with isolated ortho injuries from relatively open spaces like a shower, or between their tub and the toilet, or their bedrooms full of hummel figurines. It's something most people spend their entire lives not encountering and it requires plenty of manpower and careful stepwise planning on a good day.

I mean, it is possible this quickly turned into an emergency extrication MCI scenario where they probably just peeled the car apart and started yanking people out, but just imagining trying to careful extricate 12 multi-system trauma patients out of a twisted mass of steel and broken glass and FIFTEEN loving BLACK TAGS is enough to give anyone the heebie jeebies.

The closest I had to something like this involved a small minivan going off an interstate overpass and falling about 20 feet onto railroad tracks with poor access and a train bearing down it like 5mi away.

We had a pediatric ejection fatality, 2 medevac adult traumas (1 of whom died) and 2 ground transport pediatric traumas.

That was a herculean loving logistical task. With 5 patients.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

lol he's taking a lot of heat over his response to the blackouts and trying to salvage his office

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Has any society used faulty Transporters to just make infinite clones of people so they can make them fight to the death in gladiatorial combat?

Like actually do the 200 toddlers vs a Klingon thing?

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

The best Riker moment was when it is revealed on a DS9 episode that its actually Thomas Riker cause he takes off the fake side burns he's wearing to dramatic music.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Apparently it was real expensive to produce, but they still did it dirty just saying gently caress it and pulling the plug. The movie is decent; definitely worth watching to tie up the series.

Yeah I feel if they did a movie right after it was cancelled it would have likely been a little better due to not having to work around actors death’s and other scheduling issues, but it’s probably about as good as it could get.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Leperflesh posted:

Will Riker was taken apart, and spare parts used to assemble him, on board the Enterprise. Meanwhile, he was also "sent back" to the planet's surface. This is proof that the transporter puts you together from spare parts, and if that's true, then normally it kills you first. That's inherent in the idea of putting together a person from spare parts.

By what process was Tom Riker created, if the transporter is responsible for rebuilding someone out of spare parts? A transporter moves the molecules by converting them to energy then back to matter. If it's a destroy and clone process, then Thomas Riker cannot exist!

If transporter technology is:
Destroy being --> put being's essence/ouvre/soul into carrier beam --> rebuild being then Tom Riker cannot exist because aborting the carrier beam that became Tom Riker and having it bounce back to the planet without the "rebuild" that happens when completing a transport would have terminated his existence.

Convert molecules into energy --> move energy --> convert energy back into *the same exact molecules*, and leaving the transporter sequence at any time caused the energy to convert back into matter (like having it bounce off the planet's atmosphere and head back to the surface), then Tom Riker can exist.

Paint Crop Pro posted:

The best Riker moment was when it is revealed on a DS9 episode that its actually Thomas Riker cause he takes off the fake side burns he's wearing to dramatic music.

I love that in the 24th century the best method is still "gluing some poo poo to your face" (the ripping noises)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVFWJ6DxVZc

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 2, 2021

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Yup, it was inevitable. Can't even muster any anger over it at this point.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Spoeank posted:

By what process was Tom Riker created, if the transporter is responsible for rebuilding someone out of spare parts? A transporter moves the molecules by converting them to energy then back to matter. If it's a destroy and clone process, then Thomas Riker cannot exist!

Destroy being --> put being's essence/ouvre/soul into carrier beam --> rebuild being then Tom Riker cannot exist because aborting the carrier beam that became Tom Riker and having it bounce back to the planet without the "rebuild" that happens when completing a transport would have terminated his existence.

Convert molecules into energy --> move energy --> convert energy back into *the same exact molecules*, and leaving the transporter sequence at any time caused the energy to convert back into matter (like having it bounce off the planet's atmosphere and head back to the surface), then Tom Riker can exist.

I love that in the 24th century the best method is still "gluing some poo poo to your face" (the ripping noises)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVFWJ6DxVZc

I had forgotten about Tom Riker when I watched DS9 so this scene was even funnier. I was confused as hell

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Spoeank posted:

Scenario 1 is Move Being from Place A to Place B without destroying the consciouness/soul/whatever. In that scenario, you can't get accidentally cloned, because the transporter never creates a new person from scratch.

Scenario 2 is actually Destroy Being A, Create Being B, Souls Do Not Exist. In this scenario, both Tom and Will can exist, because the Transporter is capable of building a new person. This is the scenario presented in this episode.

The second scenario you described doesn't permit the existence of Will, if Tom is returned to the surface.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Clearly its a case of all of Rikers info made it to the enterprise except his sideburns and they used their magic to recreate Will on the surface.

Edit:
Some good content here.

https://twitter.com/yeah_well_okay/status/1366559687160836096?s=19

Paint Crop Pro fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 2, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Bird in a Blender posted:

People sometimes kill themselves when they lose their job. Economic anxiety is definitely a cause for some suicides.

2 high level firings and a high level employee quitting in less than two months indicates to me a dysfunctional workplace.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Leperflesh posted:

Scenario 1 is Move Being from Place A to Place B without destroying the consciouness/soul/whatever. In that scenario, you can't get accidentally cloned, because the transporter never creates a new person from scratch.

Scenario 2 is actually Destroy Being A, Create Being B, Souls Do Not Exist. In this scenario, both Tom and Will can exist, because the Transporter is capable of building a new person. This is the scenario presented in this episode.

The second scenario you described doesn't permit the existence of Will, if Tom is returned to the surface.

by what process was Tom Riker "rebuilt" on the surface

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I have never seen a group of politicians more single-mindedly dedicated to killing the people that put them in office. In a vacuum it’s honestly kinda impressive.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
Y'all weren't kidding about Banshee being the most violent and Horny show.

In the first two episodes: 
- three in-world sex scenes
- at least a couple sex scene flashbacks
- random motorcyclist shot 
- two gangsters and a sheriff killed in a bar fight 
- protagonist fighting four guys at once that were beating up some amish guys
- 1.5 gangsters exploded by a bomb
- gangster getting shot after hitting protagonist with a pipe 
- two drug dealers getting shot
- teenager ODs on tainted drugs, dies
- drug dealer has finger fed to boss's attack dog (onscreen) then killed by dog (offscreen)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Isn't like half of Banshee "let's let the the stunt crew go loving buck wild and see what happens"?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Pops Mgee posted:

I kinda want to start a ds9 rewatch but some of those episodes hit a little too hard right now.

I don't think I can ever watch DS9 ever again because the last episode I watched was the one where Kira stays next to her dying father figures death bed and I watched in the hospital next to my dad the night before he died

Leperflesh posted:

Point of order, it wasn't the Enterprise that happened during Will's career before he was stationed there.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Freaquency posted:

I have never seen a group of politicians more single-mindedly dedicated to killing the people that put them in office. In a vacuum it’s honestly kinda impressive.

I wouldn't put this calculation past most Republican politicians, if they even bother to think about it:

COVID kills lots of old people, who are big Republican supports.
COVID also kills lots of black and brown people, who are bigger supporters of Democrats.
Maybe COVID will kill more Democrats than Republicans and I come out on top?

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

I don't know the TNG episode in question, but I do hear Tom Riker to the tune of Tom Sawyer by Rush in my head every time I read it.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Skwirl posted:

Isn't like half of Banshee "let's let the the stunt crew go loving buck wild and see what happens"?

Yes

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
If you guys like Banshee, check out Spartacus, the best show ever made. It’s hornier and more violent

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Unlike Banshee, Spartacus is excellently written with great characters and beautiful plot development

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Pron on VHS posted:

Unlike Banshee, Spartacus is excellently written with great characters and beautiful plot development

First season has Lucy Lawless. Having Lucy Lawless always makes a show better.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Skwirl posted:

First season has Lucy Lawless. Having Lucy Lawless always makes a show better.

This, except me calling Lucy Lawless' husband

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpLj3ZAjvnU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Check out this absolute beauty

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1101-Jackson-St-APT-507-Omaha-NE-68102/91927139_zpid/?utm_medium=referral

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Spoeank posted:

From the 'blueprints' of Riker stored in the buffer. It messed up and sent the pattern to both locations where Tom Riker was built from energy turned to atoms the same way Replicators make tea.

I don't remember any specifics about the episode and situation, if he was in a ground based transporter room or just on regular ground.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
This whole debate is basically The Prestige.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Spoeank posted:

He wasn't (or he was) but the key is that will is rebuilt on the ship. One of them has to have been built, yeah? There's two people now. Where did the extra come from? The transporter made him. Out of what? Random crap in its matter storage bins or something. If that's what transporters do, then they're not just moving people from A to B, they're killing them at A and making new people at B.

The episode also never advanced a plausible theory for where an extra soul came from, so unless transporters are gods that can forge new human souls, we have to go with the theory that there are no souls, you're just the sum of your parts.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
And don't forget Scotty basically keeping himself stuck in a loop for 75 years and then being taken safely out of the beam. Transporters are magical.

And I have been convinced and am in the "they kill you" group now.

But I'd still use them if they existed. Then I'd use that child reversing DNA trick to keep me at 21 forever and just beam myself back to tip top shape. Never get fat or old again.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Someone in the interior design thread (I think) said that this was big divorce energy and hell, they’re not wrong

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
If I had $1.5M to burn, Omaha wouldn't be on my shortlist of cities where I would buy a home

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Also replicators are transporters that make food from poo poo. This is canon from Discovery. :science:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Silly Burrito posted:

. Never get fat or old again.

Thats the beauty if it, sb. You always were fat and old.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

iwentdoodie posted:

Thats the beauty if it, sb. You always were fat and old.

Hey I was young once dammit

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Freaquency posted:

It's less a dedication to killing Texans and more that they value playing to a national conservative base over the lives and wellbeing of their constituents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
This owns

https://twitter.com/JimmyJazz1968/status/1366259062145314819