Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Tempora Mutantur posted:

you can if you're doing the Stargate portal address thing (i.e. using one portal and changing its tag to your destination portal) because the tag change visually takes effect before the actual connection, so you can change the tag from x to y -> walk through the portal now named y -> end up at the other end of portal x, but now the portal won't take you back because the original portal shifted from tag x to tag y (and since you already have two portals with the tag y in this scenario, congrats, you're boned and can't go back without running back)

this only happens if you IMMEDIATELY walk through the portal, waiting even like 5 seconds prevents it

If you're going to do it that way then I guess you need to keep a backup portal, tagged but unlinked, in your base. I never thought of doing it this way but going by how it often takes a few seconds for a new portal to light up I feel like the risks are pretty apparent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

toasterwarrior posted:

I'd honestly like an excuse to use swords but piercing damage being key against trolls and blunt for undead is just enough weapon and skill slots for me to cover.

Once you get to silver the sword gets bonus spirit damage that makes it awesome against undead as well. Though if you've found the merchant, the silver-tier item with his materials is also pretty awesome.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

SynthesisAlpha posted:

If you're going to do it that way then I guess you need to keep a backup portal, tagged but unlinked, in your base. I never thought of doing it this way but going by how it often takes a few seconds for a new portal to light up I feel like the risks are pretty apparent.

it's more about when you change between existing portals, because the glow never stops if you stand in range to change tag

it's honestly not a big deal but can be real funny/surprising/annoying the first time it happens

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Oh yeah, I rock the silver tier hammer and it owns bones, quite literally. Just that Vikings and swords are a natural pair and all

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Thanks for all the responses regarding portals. Kinda figured that's how they were being used. Makes me wish I could visit everyones worlds just to see where all their portals lead.

I tried the mace for a bit but the knockback pushing enemies far enough away that my follow up missed was enough for me to stop using it. Also, outside of one fight, I haven't seen a ton of need to make sure I'm using the correct damage type.

Also, swords just look cooler.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Or just don't tag it. Two portals without tags will link automatically, funnily enough.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

toasterwarrior posted:

I'd honestly like an excuse to use swords but piercing damage being key against trolls and blunt for undead is just enough weapon and skill slots for me to cover.

Is there a chart anywhere for what kind of damage is effective/ineffective/(super effective???) against what pokemon typescreatures?

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Ambaire posted:

Or just don't tag it. Two portals without tags will link automatically, funnily enough.

Probably because it's just an empty string, but still a string nonetheless.

I wonder if the "don't change the destination until 5 seconds later" setup so you could potentially rename both sides quickly and without building some temp portals?

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

CRAYON posted:

Thanks for all the responses regarding portals. Kinda figured that's how they were being used. Makes me wish I could visit everyones worlds just to see where all their portals lead.

I tried the mace for a bit but the knockback pushing enemies far enough away that my follow up missed was enough for me to stop using it. Also, outside of one fight, I haven't seen a ton of need to make sure I'm using the correct damage type.

Also, swords just look cooler.

If you dont have a round stone tower with portal on each wall by end of iron tier, I dont know What you are doing with your base. Not that mine is ready, But at least my portal room has them in a semicircle.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

I'm up to 10 and just plop them down whenever I find a safe spot that is just far enough away that would be a pain to sail to.

Gonna restart, actually because this hilltop base I made is proving to be kind of a pain in the rear end.

Why restart? Just put your stuff on a boat and sail to a new island. :)

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Tempora Mutantur posted:

you can if you're doing the Stargate portal address thing (i.e. using one portal and changing its tag to your destination portal) because the tag change visually takes effect before the actual connection, so you can change the tag from x to y -> walk through the portal now named y -> end up at the other end of portal x, but now the portal won't take you back because the original portal shifted from tag x to tag y (and since you already have two portals with the tag y in this scenario, congrats, you're boned and can't go back without running back)

this only happens if you IMMEDIATELY walk through the portal, waiting even like 5 seconds prevents it

This seems like a ridiculous way to avoid making a second portal

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Taffer posted:

Why restart? Just put your stuff on a boat and sail to a new island. :)

It's my specific type of brain worms.

If I know my old base it still there, I'll gravitate back to it. Silly, I know but I'll take my current character and gear and carve out a new life.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I do kind of like the Stargate method (just finished SG-1 with a friend, so it was in my head to do), but it seems like a pain in the rear end to actually use.

We took over a circle of Meadows standing stones and turned it into a portal nexus, you can fit about three in between each pair of stones.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

it's honestly not that bad but I did make additional portals once I felt like finding enough birch for the fine wood

I still keep a stargate portal cause there're still outposts I don't go to often, like boss shrine locations, that don't really need a dedicated second portal

e: and I tag the location on the map with the portal tag so I don't have to remember poo poo

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Valtonen posted:

If you dont have a round stone tower with portal on each wall by end of iron tier, I dont know What you are doing with your base. Not that mine is ready, But at least my portal room has them in a semicircle.

Eh I kind of went a different way with it.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Tempora Mutantur posted:

That sounds like an extremely silly thing to do. It aint like surtling cores are at all hard to get past the super early game.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret
Is there a key/trick or something that lets you just build a floor piece directly in front of you that snaps to the one you're on? Attempting to build poo poo like docks where you're building straight out if there isn't a support there is frustrating as gently caress.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Inzombiac posted:

It's my specific type of brain worms.

If I know my old base it still there, I'll gravitate back to it. Silly, I know but I'll take my current character and gear and carve out a new life.

Hey I started a new world/new character because part of the fun is working your progression differently. The first world I was pushing as fast as possible to see the content. Once I know what's out there first hand I'm content to futz with building and farming and such.

The funniest thing is that my new guy already has higher skills than my first because I've only died a couple times as a result of a slower pace and better game knowledge/skills.

Like I 100% forgot carts existed by the time I was digging up iron in my first world so I linked the crypt and my outpost with portals and one-way tripped a stack of ore over and over. Derp.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Ambaire posted:

This was a great feature. I built a random portal when it unlocked just to see it, forgot about it. Went on an impulsive sailing journey once and got far enough away I didn't even want to try and get back, or go further into mysterious new biomes. I landed nearby, set up a little camp and threw down a portal. My thought was, I'll name it the same as my other portal and see if it works, if not, I'll name the portal something, kill myself, then rename my home portal the same thing and be able to recover corpse easily.

Turns out the raw portals just connected and I left it at that until my buddy got online and we renamed portal on both sides.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

Is there a key/trick or something that lets you just build a floor piece directly in front of you that snaps to the one you're on? Attempting to build poo poo like docks where you're building straight out if there isn't a support there is frustrating as gently caress.

Put a temporary floor piece that overlaps your current one by one quarter, then put the one you want in front of you using that, then destroy the temporary one, repeat until done.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

I saw a video where the guy put a 2m horizontal bit to get an outside angle on the bridge. Worked pretty well for a lot of different awkward building bits. I also use his framing technique for houses and it's great for stability. The video also has the overlap technique people are mentioning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrIz2vtIlds

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

I heard that you can build a floor piece halfway hanging off and then aim at the edge and the next will snap below. Then deconstruct the one on top and repeat.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
I saw that dude complaining about Bonemass, and solo I agree that fight sort of sucks butts. I've played through the whole thing solo. Most of the people I started with sort of drifted off. The only parts of the game that were really miserable as a solo player were Bonemass and Boss 5. Bonemass was at least possible though. I had to get a bit creative with the terrain and what not, but it never felt like an impossible challenge. Boss 5, however, is total bullshit and made me mad as hell. I ended up trapping him in terrain and just blasting his idiot face with frost arrows with the occasional mace slap during his incredibly infrequent idle animations.

They've clearly got the game tuned for at least a group of two, and being it's still early access I can't get too mad about it. I like the building more than I thought I would, but I do wish I could unlock some kind of free camera for getting underneath things.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Yes there is actually. I'm going to try to explain it but if I'm not making any sense I will post a video when I get home.

Take a floorboard and place it on top of your previous floorboard so that it's overlapping, then take your next floorboard and target the middle of the overlapping board you just placed on top, this should make the board snap onto the bottom one allowing you to build docks or building surfaces or whatever you need.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nybble posted:

Probably because it's just an empty string, but still a string nonetheless.

I wonder if the "don't change the destination until 5 seconds later" setup so you could potentially rename both sides quickly and without building some temp portals?

I assume it is intentional so that you can do that, yes, if you have an established link you can change on side's tag, go through, then change the other side's tag and it will link back. But if you change a portal to link from one to the other there is an... unclear delay of some seconds before it changes destination and no visual indicator, so it is possible to change the destination, go through, and then block your return because the return portal is locked to another one.

While we're on things I think would be good to add, it would be nice if there was some sort of structure you could build that projects a zone of calm water, akin to the effect you get with natural inland water.

Schwack posted:

I saw that dude complaining about Bonemass, and solo I agree that fight sort of sucks butts. I've played through the whole thing solo. Most of the people I started with sort of drifted off. The only parts of the game that were really miserable as a solo player were Bonemass and Boss 5. Bonemass was at least possible though. I had to get a bit creative with the terrain and what not, but it never felt like an impossible challenge. Boss 5, however, is total bullshit and made me mad as hell. I ended up trapping him in terrain and just blasting his idiot face with frost arrows with the occasional mace slap during his incredibly infrequent idle animations.

They've clearly got the game tuned for at least a group of two, and being it's still early access I can't get too mad about it. I like the building more than I thought I would, but I do wish I could unlock some kind of free camera for getting underneath things.

It's a gigantic brick of HP that likes to spam unblockable attacks, you fight it in lovely terrain, constantly wet, and with a huge pile of adds that also like to spam unblockable attacks and also you are poisoned all the time. It's just an unbelievable slog, someone evidently though that the rotten was the best part of dark souls 2 except what if it had three times as much HP and also your stamina was poo poo the whole time because of the rain. And also if the combat controls were a lot worse.

I don't mind that the game isn't dark souls but I wish it would stop trying to be.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 2, 2021

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

It's a gigantic brick of HP that likes to spam unblockable attacks, you fight it in lovely terrain, constantly wet, and with a huge pile of adds that also like to spam unblockable attacks and also you are poisoned all the time. It's just an unbelievable slog, someone evidently though that the rotten was the best part of dark souls 2 except what if it had three times as much HP and also your stamina was poo poo the whole time because of the rain. And also if the combat controls were a lot worse.

I don't mind that the game isn't dark souls but I wish it would stop trying to be.

It's only hard if you're badly equipped. My first try I went in with lovely weapons and was doing no damage, so I left and made a maxed iron mace. With middling iron armor, an iron shield, a single poison resist potion, and an iron mace I was able to kill him in about 6 minutes. You can literally ignore the blobs with poison resist, their full duration poison will do like 8 damage.

The game is not dark souls at all, it gives you all the tools to make pretty much any engagement pretty trivial, you just have to make some half-decent gear.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

People posted:

Bosses 3 and 5 chat

I completed this stuff with a buddy and both of these bosses are exercises in "did you remember meads". If you walk into Bonemass expecting you'll spend 100% of the time poisoned and tailor your strategy around that, it won't be so bad. With resistance meads poison can't tick fast enough to outpace your natural regen and Bonemass melee boils down to swinging while he's spreading poison around and blocking when he's taking swipes at you. We split our attention with one person up front and one person on add clear (it was 2 oozes and 1 skeleton every time for us when he summoned more, which go down fast to maces) and it was long but never out of control.

Similarly we walked into Boss 5 unaware that his gimmick is DESTRUCTION RAINS FROM THE HEAVENS all fire damage all the time so having not pre-prepared the brand new mead you unlock in Plains our fully-upgraded characters were completely obliterated in about 15 seconds. Having gotten that mead for a second try it turns out nearly everything that boss does is hard countered by that in exactly the same way Bonemass' poison is hard countered by mead and he was mostly just a brick of hp. He doesn't even summon help, although you'll get some inquisitive deathsquitos if you're unlucky.

Pretty much every boss requires the appropriate resistance mead, and you want stamina and health meads to go along with it. From Bonemass onwards we didn't start a fight unless we had 20 minutes worth of mead coverage (2 resistance, 10 recovery each) and that kept us quite safe. Doing this solo would be very much the same, you just need to split your time between the boss itself and whatever adds have joined the party so each fight takes longer even with solo-levels of boss health.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I really don't like how food works. It should last full strength until the timer wears out then diminish.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Gimme more carrot recipes. poo poo's obsolete once turnips are a thing

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The meads are a pain in the arse to make though, grinding out flowers and berries is dull as ditchwater.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

Gimme more carrot recipes. poo poo's obsolete once turnips are a thing

Turnips are great but carrots are still better for stamina (though terrible for hp)

OwlFancier posted:

The meads are a pain in the arse to make though, grinding out flowers and berries is dull as ditchwater.

lol literally everything you say in this thread is a whine, why are you even playing the game

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

OwlFancier posted:

You get 6 meads per base you make, it's really not that much of a grind.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

CRAYON posted:

Yes there is actually. I'm going to try to explain it but if I'm not making any sense I will post a video when I get home.

Take a floorboard and place it on top of your previous floorboard so that it's overlapping, then take your next floorboard and target the middle of the overlapping board you just placed on top, this should make the board snap onto the bottom one allowing you to build docks or building surfaces or whatever you need.

Thanks for this (and everyone else who responded). This should at least speed up the horizontal building. Still also gotta figure out a way to make stairs down from an elevated location, but that's generally less needed.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/807624226399715359/816402971092451358/video0.mp4

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Honestly I wouldn't mind if more stuff was farmable. I guess it's meant to keep you exploring for more thistle and berries, but there's even berry fields in abandoned towns. Just let me build my own berry fields. Especially if it's going to be required for like every single mead.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

As the rest of the responses have said, not without doing stupid poo poo.

I hope they add options like other building games have and put in a hotkey that will just let you rotate between every valid snap point in front of you

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you could plant berry bushes and also the other crops worked the same way, no replanting necessary, that would be better. The game has enough busywork as is.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Carrot soup isn't poo poo compared to turnip stew though, and honestly hunting deer is significantly more efficient than foraging mushrooms, which are also usually used for mead. And turnip stew only needs a single piece of meat too, the returns are wild.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
For some reason it's absurdly hard to find an answer to this on any of the many slide-show Valheim building gudes out there: do you need to have beams supporting your buildings to keep them structurally sound? How much of a different does this make?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

For some reason it's absurdly hard to find an answer to this on any of the many slide-show Valheim building gudes out there: do you need to have beams supporting your buildings to keep them structurally sound? How much of a different does this make?

IIRC beams (and eventually log poles and iron reinforced poles) matter a lot because the support system counts 5 pieces from a foundation, and the poles in particular are efficient because they're a single piece that covers the length of two of the longest wood beam piece. Could be wrong on this though.