Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
:dong: Highway Traffic :dong:
Prediction Razzies

I have a TAZ question. If I’m 6 episodes in to the first adventure and not really enjoying it, is that a sign it isn’t for me? Or is that too early to be sure?

If it helps, I find the McElroys funny and I’ve played and enjoyed dungeons and dragons before, but the only DND podcast I’ve been into before was rude tales of magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Pork Lift posted:

I have a TAZ question. If I’m 6 episodes in to the first adventure and not really enjoying it, is that a sign it isn’t for me? Or is that too early to be sure?

If it helps, I find the McElroys funny and I’ve played and enjoyed dungeons and dragons before, but the only DND podcast I’ve been into before was rude tales of magic.

Balance pulls itself together a bit after the Gerblins arc (which is what you just finished.) I think the next arc is the extremely good and arguably the best they've ever been, so listen to the next few episodes and if you still aren't feeling it then I'd say feel free drop it.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Asiina posted:

Here is me making GBS threads up the thread with a new hot take: I'm so loving tired of munch squad. It has me basically skipping the entire back half of every episode these days.

I don't think Justin is a paid shill or any of that nonsense, it's just terribly unfunny and has been for a very long time. I didn't think it could get worse, but now it literally is every single episode.

in what way does this qualify as a new hot take

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Pork Lift posted:

It clicked for me as a legit great thing around the 3rd or 4th arc I think, though I recall really enjoying them loving around before then too. The next arc is a train mystery murder if that ruffles your feathers at all!

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
There was a real sweet spot in balance where they were goofing, semi competent and playing medium stakes capers but before it became a big self-serious save the world and look right at the camera and make speeches slog.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Keep going with TAZ. It gets "Oh poo poo, I get why people are telling me this is good" around Petals To The Metal, then "Oh poo poo, this is loving amazing" around 11th Hour

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Piell posted:

Balance pulls itself together a bit after the Gerblins arc (which is what you just finished.) I think the next arc is the extremely good and arguably the best they've ever been, so listen to the next few episodes and if you still aren't feeling it then I'd say feel free drop it.

Assuming you are referring to the Murder on the Rockport Limited arc, which I agree is awesome, then listening to the next few episodes won't cut it. There's a stretch in between (just looked it up, it's three episodes) of joking around on the moon as they learn about the Bureau. I mostly remember it for a puzzle-combat encounter where Griffin clearly tried to create opportunities for each character to play to their strengths, whereupon Justin immediately chose the "wrong" role.

Rockport starts in Episode 10 and is worth holding out for, or skipping ahead if you're not feeling the Moonlighting stuff. I agree with the other posters who say that the peak of this campaign is in the middle. (I actually liked the Stolen Century arc a lot but I also think they were getting a bit high on their own sense of grandiosity by that point.)

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Pork Lift posted:

I love the mcelroys and I found TAZ to be terribly dull. I'm not a fan of d&d pods in general, but it's not even a particularly good one. Look up highlight animatics on YouTube for the few funny bits and move on, imo.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Oh drat, thanks for this. I loved WKUK and hadn't heard anything from them in a while, so it's nice to see they're still doing stuff together.

Froghammer posted:

Keep going with TAZ. It gets "Oh poo poo, I get why people are telling me this is good" around Petals To The Metal, then "Oh poo poo, this is loving amazing" around 11th Hour
PTTM is about when it clicked for me too. I think it was once Griffin started adding immersive sound effects and music, and it really started coming into its own. Until then it was just something I'd listen to in the background because I liked the boys and it was fun.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Here There Be Gerblins is rough all over outside of a few classic bits

Rockport Express is the funniest overall arc but the rest of it is everyone being really loving bad at figuring out a basic locked room mystery until Griffin basically just starts telling them the answer (Speaking from experience you cannot try and run a mystery game that only does one session every two weeks no one is going to remember jack poo poo)

Petals to the Metal is probably where the goofs, story, and actual playing-of-the-game as much as what they're playing only vaguely resembles D&D 5e comes together.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 3, 2021

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Pork Lift posted:

Give TAZ up to about episode 10 if you're still on the fence. The first 5 or 6 episodes are really rough until Griffin puts away the campaign module he's running and starts freeballing it.

If you're into Rude Tales, try Dungeons and Daddies. It's funny all the way through, including even the first episode.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Justin needs to do a The Doughboys guest spot to get Munch Squad out of his system.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Griffin and Travis need to do an all Munch Squad episode where they just read press releases about normal menu options verbatim at Justin until he gets the point about 20 minutes in, and then keep doing it for another 40 minutes until he cries uncle

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

The 7th Guest posted:

Griffin and Travis need to do an all Munch Squad episode where they just read press releases about normal menu options verbatim at Justin until he gets the point about 20 minutes in, and then keep doing it for another 40 minutes until he cries uncle

Sounds like wrestling with a pig to me.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

You're going to smoke the whole pack of Munch Squads!

I liked when there was an element of surprise to Munch Squad. Did Griffin or Travis ever try pulling one on Justin?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Party Boat posted:

You're going to smoke the whole pack of Munch Squads!

I liked when there was an element of surprise to Munch Squad. Did Griffin or Travis ever try pulling one on Justin?

yup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYruTpp9ur4

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Anyone got a brand new hot take with their ideas on the Munch Squad

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
What if they did it with the mics off

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

BrownThunder posted:

Anyone got a brand new hot take with their ideas on the Munch Squad

i want them to switch munch squad up and just do seinfeld-esque bits on their most hated fast food item

justin, what IS the deal with the bacon king???

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

What if they all ate during a munch squad and reviewed the nonsense themselves

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Honestly 15 minutes of aged cheddar Doritos chalupa mouth noises would be a reasonable segment if they're looking to fill 45 minutes of podcast content

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Spider-man who can't say for certain if vaping is a good thing or not was a great bit

yeah, the end of this ep was very good

Funny and possibly telling moment early in the episode was Travis defending his bad intro bit to Justin: “hey, it killed 10 minutes!”

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 4, 2021

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Just fiddling their ham fingers on the Diablo sauce packet right into the microphone

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I’ve been watching a lot of Hot Ones and the McElroys should go on it once pandemic ends

E: they’re probably not big enough celebs at this point though

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Colonel Whitey posted:

I’ve been watching a lot of Hot Ones and the McElroys should go on it once pandemic ends

The show would have to be called My Brother, A Pool of Goo, and Me after that

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Colonel Whitey posted:

They could definitely get on Dough Boys for a full-length hands-on Munch Squad

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

more falafel please posted:

The show would have to be called My Brother, A Pool of Goo, and Me after that

Ah so Griffin is the middle one in the show’s title

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Froghammer posted:

I feel a bit alienated reading stuff about TAZ sometimes. I feel like petals to the metal is where it started getting noticably worse and I think right after 11th hour is when I quit listening to it

sorta reminds me of how way back in the day when minecraft was new there was the hugely popular yogscast minecraft let's play that was fun at first, but the more serious story stuff they added to it the more of a boring slog it became. but that was also when it became the most popular and now the only time it comes up is when people talk about how much they liked the serious story stuff, which leaves me feeling like a madman because I think it was only good when it was a couple of funny guys goofing around and playing minecraft badly

this isn't a complaint directed towards anyone I guess, it's just weird.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I did not like Petals to the Metal but I seriously loved Crystal Kingdom

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

I feel a bit alienated reading stuff about TAZ sometimes. I feel like petals to the metal is where it started getting noticably worse and I think right after 11th hour is when I quit listening to it

sorta reminds me of how way back in the day when minecraft was new there was the hugely popular yogscast minecraft let's play that was fun at first, but the more serious story stuff they added to it the more of a boring slog it became. but that was also when it became the most popular and now the only time it comes up is when people talk about how much they liked the serious story stuff, which leaves me feeling like a madman because I think it was only good when it was a couple of funny guys goofing around and playing minecraft badly

this isn't a complaint directed towards anyone I guess, it's just weird.

I feel exactly the same way about TAZ and the yogscast. Once they start getting into plot-heavy fantasy drama it's some fanfiction.net garbage. The McElroys/Lewis/Simon are some funny dudes but Tolkein they are not.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Vargs posted:

I feel exactly the same way about TAZ and the yogscast. Once they start getting into plot-heavy fantasy drama it's some fanfiction.net garbage. The McElroys/Lewis/Simon are some funny dudes but Tolkein they are not.

Agreed

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
On my end if it was just a bunch of contextless jokes without any character or story I probably would not have liked Balance or Amnesty

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

if only there was something in between the two

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Vargs posted:

what makes tolkien not fanfiction.net garbage

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Alaois posted:

if only there was something in between the two

There is! It's called Rude Tales of Magic and it's great!

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Varinn posted:

what makes tolkien not fanfiction.net garbage

He wrote on paper, and also, made original content that you couldn’t get the general idea of every plot beat in the content warning

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
y'all no one has talked about fanfiction.net in like 15 years

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Mar 4, 2021

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

goblin week posted:

He wrote on paper, and also, made original content that you couldn’t get the general idea of every plot beat in the content warning

tolkien wrote genre fiction. the beats have always been the same lmao

word processing software was the death of literature, truly

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Blockhouse posted:

y'all no one has talked about fanfiction.net in like 15 years

That's what happens to websites that ban cummies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

change my name posted:

They could definitely get on Dough Boys for a full-length hands-on Munch Squad

I'm legit surprised it hasn't happened yet, honestly.