Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

If you wanna see interpolation in action, boot up Tapper and look at the sprites on HDMI

Edit: I’m a dumbass and confused with interlaced images. Carry on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Thanks for the answers, all. It still confuses me, but I'll do some more research :)

And I will check the Tapper thing out to better understand interlaced images.

For now, I'm more and more impressed with this thing. Still stuck on the HDMI and the basic (non-sd ram) cores, but since I'm getting the bliss box cables, and can use my original controllers, I am somewhat regretting getting the everdrive pro for the genesis, and the fx pak pro for the snes. I don't see what advantage they offer, at this point.

I kinda wish I skipped over some of that and came right to this. Sure, I'll still have to keep my N64 and PS2 hooked up, but there's definitely going to be some room in my cabinet soon.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

there is someone in the retrovideo game thread looking to buy both of those flashcarts

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Yeah hit up this thread if you’re looking to get rid of them https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3960656&perpage=40&noseen=1

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

The save state capability has me thinking I'll probably hold onto them for a bit. Thanks for the info, though.

One thing that is impressing me about the Mister is just how freaking good the UI is. Coming from the Retropie interface (specifically, dealing with Retroarch with a controller in-hand) this is just so much better. I'm sure Retroarch's relative complexity and granularity is useful to someone, but definitely not me. What a great, clean interface.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Chinook posted:

The save state capability has me thinking I'll probably hold onto them for a bit. Thanks for the info, though.

One thing that is impressing me about the Mister is just how freaking good the UI is. Coming from the Retropie interface (specifically, dealing with Retroarch with a controller in-hand) this is just so much better. I'm sure Retroarch's relative complexity and granularity is useful to someone, but definitely not me. What a great, clean interface.

Not that RetroArch is a well designed interface, but keep in mind RA is made to install on a huge variety of setups and purposes. Those kind of interfaces are always rough just because of the volume of crap you have to support.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Crackbone posted:

Not that RetroArch is a well designed interface, but keep in mind RA is made to install on a huge variety of setups and purposes. Those kind of interfaces are always rough just because of the volume of crap you have to support.

Fair point. (Nice avatar btw)

Here is a really cool set of videos by Smokemonster detailing the history of many of the Mister cores, general tips, etc:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsLxmNa35KdjEtsZb4wfnc4H2po84i0cf

This is likely linked elsewhere in this thread (probably in the original post!) but I stumbled onto them today, and they are great.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Had an interesting adventure this weekend testing out the 300 DOS game pack on archive.org in the AO486 core, which necessitated getting more space. Fun fact, if you ever need to upgrade to a bigger SD card, just run Mr. Fusion on the new card, let it run its installation in the DE10, and then literally just copy/paste the entire contents of the old SD card onto the new one and it should boot up with virtually all of your settings, controller mappings, etc. as if you never changed cards at all.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Nate RFB posted:

Had an interesting adventure this weekend testing out the 300 DOS game pack on archive.org in the AO486 core, which necessitated getting more space. Fun fact, if you ever need to upgrade to a bigger SD card, just run Mr. Fusion on the new card, let it run its installation in the DE10, and then literally just copy/paste the entire contents of the old SD card onto the new one and it should boot up with virtually all of your settings, controller mappings, etc. as if you never changed cards at all.

I guess the answer is "it depends what you put on it", but would a 128GB SD card be mostly sufficient?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
If you stay away from CD based systems yeah that could work

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I feel like 128GB was probably considered overkill earlier in the project and that's why a lot of build guides seemed to settle on that for the cheaper price point, and it's only been relatively recently that that's changed between the computer cores and even more CD-capable cores on the horizon. The 300 DOS Box set is like 80GB for further context lol.

Alternately if you really wanted to be a boss you could set up a CIFS server and have infinite storage, which I am far too much of a coward for.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
You can also use a USB hard drive or SSD for additional storage. My experience with that is it can be a little picky about power requirements, so either one with a power supply or a USB-powered one that doesn’t need much juice.

It’ll still boot and keep the cores on the SD card, but you can copy ROMs to a Games folder on the drive and it’ll prioritize those.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I'm really hoping wifi is fast enough to share ISOs from my NAS. If not I'll probably grab a hard drive but I wonder if the 2.5" style will get enough power from just the usb bus. I use the usb hub board with the forked power cable and the default DE10 power supply.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
Yeah for CD or PC computer cores a NAS seems like a good call. CDROM drives had seek latencies in the order of a hundred ms and transfer rates measured in multiples of 150KB/s so you should be good there. Even contemporary mid 90s HDDs topped out at like 10MB/s with average access seek times around 15ms. Seems doable over stable wifi

Keen to see the results if you go down this route. I've already invested in a large USB stick or I'd :effort: it myself

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Got the IO board and SDRAM and was able to get things up and running pretty well!

Any idea how to fix this?

I could go into my TV service mode and really squeeze things in, but then everything else would be squished. I had it pretty well set up (the grid, linearity, etc) in 240p test suite. This just seems to be the Neo Geo core so far.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Mine does that for a lot of cores as well.
It would be great if there were H and V size adjustments for each core.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Pegnose Pete posted:

Mine does that for a lot of cores as well.
It would be great if there were H and V size adjustments for each core.
Unless video_mode is specifically one that doesn't work for this, you should be absolutely be able to do that with something like this at the bottom of the .ini file:

[NEOGEO]
; custom mode: hact,hfp,hs,hbp,vact,vfp,vs,vbp,Fpix_in_KHz
video_mode=1280,110,40,220,720,5,5,20,74250

I've never quite dug into the video_mode settings/syntax (other than plain =8 works on my TV) so I don't really have a great handle on which parameters do what other than the obvious ones so it would presumably require some fiddling. You can load up as many custom core settings as you want though, mine currently are for any that require non-integer scaling or explicitly do not work with low latency vsync_adjust.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Any suggestions on cases for one with all the goodies and that encloses the buttons? I saw the aluminum case from misteraddons but not sure when that will be back in stock.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I'd wait for Mister Addons to get it back in stock. It's good, uses passive cooling, and looks so nice. I can't use one because he won't make one for the Blisster board but if I had the regular USB hub I'd definitely wait. His twitter might give an ETA

Here he discusses different options for his next order:
https://twitter.com/MisterAddons/status/1365349905766617090?s=20

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Is there a similar case by anyone else that uses the blisster board?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Chinook posted:

I'd wait for Mister Addons to get it back in stock. It's good, uses passive cooling, and looks so nice. I can't use one because he won't make one for the Blisster board but if I had the regular USB hub I'd definitely wait. His twitter might give an ETA

I have the mister case. It's nice, but hardly perfect. If you pop out your sd card, it is not easy to get back in. In fact, it is very easy to have the card end up in the case. The port is not flush with the case and has a gap that is big enough for the card. And it's not an issue with installing things incorrectly. The thing wouldn't go together if it wasn't done properly. This is a problem with the case itself.

In other words, I'd steer away from the current version and see if he makes something better.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong

Waltzing Along posted:

I have the mister case. It's nice, but hardly perfect. If you pop out your sd card, it is not easy to get back in. In fact, it is very easy to have the card end up in the case. The port is not flush with the case and has a gap that is big enough for the card. And it's not an issue with installing things incorrectly. The thing wouldn't go together if it wasn't done properly. This is a problem with the case itself.

In other words, I'd steer away from the current version and see if he makes something better.

These complaints are legit though, for me it's been a non issue since once I had it in it just stays in there. I just enable the network access if I need to touch the SD card which is rare since I treat it as a core OS and put all the media on an external usb drive.

Definitely though when I first got it I was using a standard SD card as a tool to seat and unseat the microSD.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Yeah never needing to actually touch the sd card is one of the good features of the mister

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yep, that's why I got the wireless for it. I was getting annoyed at having to open it to get my card. Happened 2 times and I ordered a wifi and another time while waiting for it to arrive. My fault because I wasn't taking the time to take it apart and look really closely, but then again, you shouldn't have to do that.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

tbf to the case, it's a problem fixable with either a little bit of tape or being super cautious when you put the card in. I get it, it's happened to me more than once and it sucks. Especially as there isn't much in the way of competition for cases though I have trouble considering it a deal breaker

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Tweezers go a long way to make it less of a hassle. Thankfully other than the other day when I had I move around 100 GB of stuff off and back on to a SD card I have otherwise not needed to take it out of the case in about 6 months.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The Voice of Labor posted:

tbf to the case, it's a problem fixable with either a little bit of tape or being super cautious when you put the card in. I get it, it's happened to me more than once and it sucks. Especially as there isn't much in the way of competition for cases though I have trouble considering it a deal breaker

It costs $70 and has a pretty big flaw. I think at that price point expectations should be pretty high.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

handmade custom poo poo is, in general, expensive.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

univbee posted:

Is there a similar case by anyone else that uses the blisster board?

It’s not aluminum but I did order this, should be here eventually:
https://ultimatemister.com/product/ultimate-blisster-case-rev-2/

Cost 16 euros for shipping to the States though.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Dang it. I got one of those cheap tiny DACs and I'm not getting any audio out of the MiSTer now.
Not sure what's wrong.
I'm using a little adapter head for the mini toslink end but now it's stuck on the optical cable so I can't take it off to trouble shoot it with other stuff.
E: ok so narrowed it down to either the cable or the adapter but still can't pry them apart.
The io board works fine with analog audio.
Is there any simple setting I'm missing to switch the output from analog to optical?

Pegnose Pete fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 3, 2021

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Recently got intrigued with mt32-pi and its use on the MiSTer. Immediately went to Micro Center to pick up a Raspberry Pi 3 A+ board, got a case, proper length USB cable and pi-hat on order.

Figure it's worth having one for the ao486 core as well as if/when the X68000 core matures. Also works on the Atari ST and Minimig cores.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3baTI0Xlm8

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Mar 3, 2021

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

Because of this thread I have increasingly been thinking about getting MiSTer, but man, by looking at the sites where you can order one it looks like quite a hefty investment. Hnngh. But then again, life is short I guess? We'll see. I have to take some time to convince myself that it would be a good idea.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Recently got intrigued with mt32-pi and its use on the MiSTer. Immediately went to Micro Center to pick up a Raspberry Pi 3 A+ board, got a case, proper length USB cable and pi-hat on order.

Figure it's worth having one for the ao486 core as well as if/when the X68000 core matures. Also works on the Atari ST and Minimig cores.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3baTI0Xlm8

Where do you order your hat from? I ordered one from misterfpga.co.uk (on back order), wondering if any one else makes nice ones either for less or so deliver sooner.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Tac Dibar posted:

Because of this thread I have increasingly been thinking about getting MiSTer, but man, by looking at the sites where you can order one it looks like quite a hefty investment. Hnngh. But then again, life is short I guess? We'll see. I have to take some time to convince myself that it would be a good idea.
It's certainly an investment but I think it's worth keeping in mind that its direct competition is Analogue's offerings, which is going to both cost far more to get full coverage of the consoles offered in the MiSTer (without even getting into the Arcade and Computer cores) and is going to take up multiple HDMI or VGA inputs rather than just the one. It's a very efficient alternative to those so long as you don't care about using actual cartridges.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Chinook posted:

It’s not aluminum but I did order this, should be here eventually:
https://ultimatemister.com/product/ultimate-blisster-case-rev-2/

Cost 16 euros for shipping to the States though.

That looks like the same PCB Blisster case I have, but with different colors. I got mine from misteraddons, but I think he phased those out in favor of the aluminum ones that won't work for it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Tac Dibar posted:

It can be a bit of a rabbit hole but depending on what platforms you care about you can start with literally just the DE10-Nano and a USB-OTG adapter.

The RAM boards are not required for most of the computer cores, for the most part only the cartridge systems need them and even then not all. Genesis and Gameboy Advance work almost 100% without addon RAM. If that happens to be your jam you can dip your foot in for just the cost of the board itself. If not, still $200ish for the board and a RAM module is not bad. You might already have an OTG cable if you're an Android person and I'd imagine most people interested in MiSTer will probably already have a spare USB hub plus a keyboard and/or gamepad they could use. At that point you can run all of the cores and the only significant functionality you're missing would be light guns.

Everything beyond that point is optional. Sure, you can easily get a "fully loaded" MiSTer setup over $500 but you've intentionally chosen that path to get anywhere close to that high.

Considering the price points of the competition, I think it's a great investment.

Also those core components can be resold pretty easily if you decide you don't feel it's worth it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Bonobos posted:

Where do you order your hat from? I ordered one from misterfpga.co.uk (on back order), wondering if any one else makes nice ones either for less or so deliver sooner.

I ordered from misterfpga.co.uk. I’m waiting out a back order for a blue screen version. Legacy Pixels sells them domestically (for me, anyway) from Ohio but they are also out of stock and don’t look as nice aesthetically.

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!

wolrah posted:

The RAM boards are not required for most of the computer cores, for the most part only the cartridge systems need them and even then not all. Genesis and Gameboy Advance work almost 100% without addon RAM.

I'm pretty sure you can use the PCE and CD core without the RAM upgrade too. A good way to look at this is that a DE-10 plus OTG cable is cheaper than a working Duo from ebay. All of the other cores are just a bonus at that point.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I ordered from misterfpga.co.uk. I’m waiting out a back order for a blue screen version. Legacy Pixels sells them domestically (for me, anyway) from Ohio but they are also out of stock and don’t look as nice aesthetically.

Agreed they do look better, I ordered a white led version myself. Hoping the back order doesn’t take TOO long.

It’s expensive for what it is but yeah the nature of the beast and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Can someone briefly describe what that thing is, and what it’s used for?

I know it’s not for me, but from the description on sites where it’s sold... I’m still pretty unclear.