Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Motronic posted:

This is the problem: it's overwhelmingly likely that you are wrong about that. People have posted examples in this very thread of better sorted vans with a total purchase price of less than my mental tally of the amount of work this one needs.

And the scope and type of work that needs to be performed is only further complicated by him living in it.

No they really haven't, people have linked to some auctions and poo poo, and old ambulances, and I'd bet money that they all have scragged out suspensions, and a questionable maintenance history.

And Rytheric's ability to determine if one is properly sorted is about the same as his ability to do suspension work, and as shown he's not very good at bargaining. At least if he has this van fixed up by a competent shop (I know, I know this raises more issues) then he knows it's fixed and going to continue working.

E: a quick perusal of Raleigh Craigslist shows a good condition, new box truck at about $25k, a questionable example from the early-mid 2000's at $13k, $11k buys a lot of suspension bits and reman transmissions.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

Rytheric posted:

Good point. If I recall it's recommend that the engine and transmission get rebuilt in about 50,000 more miles. So we will see how it goes.

Actual miles or rolled back sketchy odometer miles?

Honest question, should the truck even be driveable if you have land to park it on and intend to live in it? Essentially all you need from it is the engine and the box, the vehicle part of it is slowing you down. You don't have to worry about things like *checks notes* suspension, bolted-down seats, vehicle titles and insurance, transmission, being suffocated by CO/CO2 etc.

In the early thread people suggested just using a boxcar and you're basically 90% there. If the box is not on a moving platform, your telescope, French doors, and most importantly you, will be safer. Hell maybe in the future you can get a proper truck for the front-end and treat the box as a trailer rather than having an all-in-one good-at-none solution like this.

You're essentially inventing an RV Socratically and it kind of hurts to see it with so many missteps when RVs/trailers already exists and are easy to base your own designs off of, but the current plan appears to be "glue wheels to a house". You're building it the way you'd build a regular house, except those aren't subject to the physics of motion, and aren't heated by internal combustion engines from 25 years ago with cooling systems ready to rupture and poisonous exhaust positioned right where your fresh air should be coming from.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Elviscat posted:

At least if he has this van fixed up by a competent shop (I know, I know this raises more issues) then he knows it's fixed and going to continue working.

He really doesn't, unless he's going to put more like $20k into it to do silly-level restoration things like a rebuilt motor and trans.

Almost anything else at and around a $10k price point is going to be in better shape than this, and better shape than this one will be with a total of $7500k more dumped into it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Rytheric posted:

Wow wow wow. I never said a thing about murdering someone.

If you intend to use a gun as "security" for your person and property, you are proposing to escalate a conflict to a potentially lethal one. Either to you, if you're not prepared to shoot someone after displaying a gun, or to them, if you are. "Murder" as a legal definition will come down to a lot of technicalities and state-level laws etc. etc. but colloquially, yeah you are proposing to turn a minor property crime into a lethally-armed conflict and if you don't think that seems like a great idea, don't get a gun.

But also don't get a gun anyway, because without a home with a gun safe in it, you can't properly secure one anyway and it's one of the most commonly stolen items there is.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Ardemia posted:

Plus, it was rare to be able to discuss which Conflict album was the best one with a customer.

This rules

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jr. posted:

Honest question, should the truck even be driveable if you have land to park it on and intend to live in it? Essentially all you need from it is the engine and the box, the vehicle part of it is slowing you down. You don't have to worry about things like *checks notes* suspension, bolted-down seats, vehicle titles and insurance, transmission, being suffocated by CO/CO2 etc.

In the early thread people suggested just using a boxcar and you're basically 90% there. If the box is not on a moving platform, your telescope, French doors, and most importantly you, will be safer. Hell maybe in the future you can get a proper truck for the front-end and treat the box as a trailer rather than having an all-in-one good-at-none solution like this.

You're essentially inventing an RV Socratically and it kind of hurts to see it with so many missteps when RVs/trailers already exists and are easy to base your own designs off of, but the current plan appears to be "glue wheels to a house". You're building it the way you'd build a regular house, except those aren't subject to the physics of motion, and aren't heated by internal combustion engines from 25 years ago with cooling systems ready to rupture and poisonous exhaust positioned right where your fresh air should be coming from.

Appreciate all of this but like, this is "the tiny home movement" in a loving nutshell. Massively overcomplicating (and overcosting) RV living, in a way that's supposed to earn you credit for "downsizing" in a hipsterish cool back-to-fundamentals kind of way that "I live in an RV" does not.

We already had names for tiny homes: "Cabins" for the immobile ones, and "trailer homes" or "RVs" for the mobile ones. Somehow inventing a new term for them made them cool.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

Motronic posted:

If you can't be talked out of this you NEED to get this thing mechanically sorted FIRST. While you have somewhere to live. Then you should buy appropriate-climate camping gear and consider that to be your home. Then and only then should you start "upfitting" the interior.

FYI, I'm mentally tallying $8k in repairs minimum. This is not maintenance. REPAIRS. That leaves you with suspension, exhaust, transmission, cooling system and engine in "eh, it will probably make it another 10k miles without a 4 figure repair" condition.

Speaking of suspension problems, since you have planning problems you're going to overload this thing. You've already got the wring kind of framing in there, and a residential door that you want to install. Keep going like that and this thing is going to be permanently stationary right quick.

Any good upfit begins with a weight budget and a materials plan to meet it and allow enough overhead for provisions and passengers.

Oh. Yeah I did have a weight budget of 2000lbs which would have left 2000lbs for my projected geotracker. This is after the dmv reduced my registration hauling capacity to 5000lbs. I had intended on weighing my vehicle before. I will weigh it here shortly as well. I'm roughly at 1000lbs so far.

I'm okay with $8K-10k repairs.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Jr. posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Hobbies, Crafts, & Houses > RyTruk: inventing an RV Socratically

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rytheric posted:

Oh. Yeah I did have a weight budget of 2000lbs which would have left 2000lbs for my projected geotracker. This is after the dmv reduced my registration hauling capacity to 5000lbs. I had intended on weighing my vehicle before. I will weigh it here shortly as well. I'm roughly at 1000lbs so far.

I'm okay with $8K-10k repairs.

You have a weight budget, but no materials plan. Right now you are just winging it. That's the problem I'm pointing out.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Leperflesh posted:

Appreciate all of this but like, this is "the tiny home movement" in a loving nutshell. Massively overcomplicating (and overcosting) RV living, in a way that's supposed to earn you credit for "downsizing" in a hipsterish cool back-to-fundamentals kind of way that "I live in an RV" does not.

We already had names for tiny homes: "Cabins" for the immobile ones, and "trailer homes" or "RVs" for the mobile ones. Somehow inventing a new term for them made them cool.

Yet there is nothing specifically wrong with tiny living. Just a lot of the justifications of it are. Just say you want to live in a tiny house and leave it at that. They don't give a poo poo about energy savings or the environment or the cost. And that's fine.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

um excuse me posted:

Yet there is nothing specifically wrong with tiny living. Just a lot of the justifications of it are. Just say you want to live in a tiny house and leave it at that. They don't give a poo poo about energy savings or the environment or the cost. And that's fine.

I feel you change cost to financial efficiency you can make one of those pick 2 of the three triangle things. Like you can have energy efficency, environmentally sound, or cheap. Pick two of the three.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Rytheric posted:

You did mention buying a shotgun after having a few occurrences of people jumping into the back --- once while you were driving it, so I'm not sure how that would even help.

Even if you got a gun and used it solely as a threat with no intention to use it (which is a terrible idea, as folks in Meurte's thread pointed out*), that STILL doesn't explain how you'll secure the RyTruk when you're parked and not in it.

*Fake edit: yeah, what Leperflesh said while I was slowly phone typing

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Drone posted:

"Look if you had just given me quantifiable numbers about how much piss I could expect down here at the bottom of this piss well, that would have worked. That was my logic. Shouting 'wtf are you doing down in that well that is slowly filling up with piss?!' isn't really a good technique of persuasion."
this post should go in the louvre

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

tater_salad posted:

That's the failure point one of the coolant lines will break / pop before something else fails, it's very confusing if you ask me. It's also really not cool for the environment to be dumping glycol and other chemicals all over it but know what.. at least when the engine is off / breaks it wont make noise.

It just means that he can't be bothered to fix it properly. It falls apart regularly but is fairly easy to put back together. Calling it a "controlled failure point" makes it sound like he planned for it to work that way.

Miloshe
Oct 25, 2009

The little chicken girl wants me to ease up!
He can't handle!
He cries like woman!

Jr. posted:

I understand the new found tone of the thread but to put this into context the "house" he's building on wheels isn't even close to what an RV provides. For example, this gentleman's sleeping quarters dimensions can best be described as the width of two unbuilt timber framed portashitters. Should he throw a shed roof off of those conjoined cess pits, that is where you'll find the ghost of a sawn off 50 gallon drum, screening blowing in the breeze, and raccoons feasting on fried chicken bones.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Leperflesh posted:

If you intend to use a gun as "security" for your person and property, you are proposing to escalate a conflict to a potentially lethal one. Either to you, if you're not prepared to shoot someone after displaying a gun, or to them, if you are. "Murder" as a legal definition will come down to a lot of technicalities and state-level laws etc. etc. but colloquially, yeah you are proposing to turn a minor property crime into a lethally-armed conflict and if you don't think that seems like a great idea, don't get a gun.

But also don't get a gun anyway, because without a home with a gun safe in it, you can't properly secure one anyway and it's one of the most commonly stolen items there is.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

You did mention buying a shotgun after having a few occurrences of people jumping into the back --- once while you were driving it, so I'm not sure how that would even help.

Even if you got a gun and used it solely as a threat with no intention to use it (which is a terrible idea, as folks in Meurte's thread pointed out*), that STILL doesn't explain how you'll secure the RyTruk when you're parked and not in it.

*Fake edit: yeah, what Leperflesh said while I was slowly phone typing

Yeah. Im not going to discuss this topic further specifically not with anyone really except the police officers in my life.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Rytheric posted:

Rytheric posted:

The only thing I have a collection of is 6 months of huel I saved up using my stimulus money. I have been thinking of buying a mosenberg 590m magazine fed pump action shot gun. Reason being, I've had a lot of random people just randomly try to climbing into the back my box truck only to realize I'm in it eating pizza or something.

I had one guy jump into the back while I was stopped at a stoplight. While I was driving down the road I started hearing noises in the back so I look out my side mirror and lock eyes with a guy hanging off the side illuminated in red from my taillights. He immediately jumped backwards off my truck while I was going 35mph down the road. Dude fell and rolled into the traffic behind me. I had mixed feelings over whether to stop or not, but I ultimately just drove on and left his condition a mystery as I had no idea if he was crazy and traffic behind me could have either mobbed me or It could have been an insurance scam.

Another homeless guy I somewhat knew at the pizza joint I frequented looked like he was casing me to rob me. So I grabbed my pizza, locked myself in the back, sat in my camping chair, and had my framing hammer at the ready. His girl friend ended up distracting him though so I dont know if he would have followed through with it. I dont stop to eat pizza there anymore.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Rytheric posted:

except the police officers in my life.

Who are now outside the truck demanding you come out with your hands on your head?

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Rytheric posted:

Yeah. Im not going to discuss this topic further specifically not with anyone really except the police officers in my life.

As someone who has/does/will continue to deal with this as part of work both here in the states and abroad, no.

Talk with an actual lawyer who knows this area of the law, not the cops. You don't want actual advice from those of us that deal with it all the time, fine. But goddamn do not talk to cops for legal advice unless you're dying to go to prison. They don't know the law.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Rytheric posted:

Dude, I'm not even asking about the gun; I've asked 3 times now (and civilly, I think) on what your plan is for keeping the Truk safely locked when you're not around. Just answer that, please.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Oh, and don't shoot some dumb bastard over petty theft, I thought that goes without saying but here we are.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Dude, I'm not even asking about the gun; I've asked 3 times now (and civilly, I think) on what your plan is for keeping the Truk safely locked when you're not around. Just answer that, please.

Just the typical lock on the door and not having much to steal of value inside it anyway.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

It seems to me that one person may already have died as a consequence of you not having a rear door on your truck. We don’t know because you didn’t stop and check after he “rolled into traffic”

What were you ready to do with that framing hammer?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Rytheric posted:

Yeah, I'm going to echo PathAsc on this one:

PathAsc posted:

But goddamn do not talk to cops for legal advice unless you're dying to go to prison. They don't know the law.

Miranda Rights exist for a reason, and that reason is because cops can and will haul you in and look for a confession to close a case, and have no qualms doing that at 4AM in the morning while you are groggy and not in your right mind. Any 1L worth their salt will tell you that murder is not something you intend to do, but a legal definition that is determined in a court of law. Thanks to federalism and 50 different states, those definitions can have a wide range of exceptions and addendums. If you want a gun to protect your property, that is your choice. You just have to be willing to face the consequences that come from owning one while living in a truck.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Never talk to cops.

I forgot about this part of the sags. never own a firearm in your vehicle that you can't actually secure it in any reasonable fashion to keep it from getting stolen. Please don't arm yourselfto shoot at people who jumped in the back of your vehicle with no door in the back.

Please do have a door in the back.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Hey maybe you should just put a loving locking door on the box itself. Perhaps you could put it where the locking door used to be

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Bogus Adventure posted:

If you want a gun to protect your property, that is your choice. You just have to be willing to face the consequences that come from owning one while living in a truck.

I dont care much about the value of my property. I only care about the ability to defend myself. But your point still stands.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Rytheric posted:

Just the typical lock on the door and not having much to steal of value inside it anyway.

Valuables like a gun?

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

KitConstantine posted:

Valuables like a gun?

And I guess a $2000 telescope lol.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Bogus Adventure posted:

Miranda Rights exist for a reason, and that reason is because cops can and will haul you in and look for a confession to close a case, and have no qualms doing that at 4AM in the morning while you are groggy and not in your right mind. Any 1L worth their salt will tell you that murder is not something you intend to do, but a legal definition that is determined in a court of law. Thanks to federalism and 50 different states, those definitions can have a wide range of exceptions and addendums. If you want a gun to protect your property, that is your choice. You just have to be willing to face the consequences that come from owning one while living in a truck.

Even if the cops go "COOL GOOD SHOOT WOO" and gently caress off that means not a drat thing if you get tied up in the legal system by whomever you shot/their family/etc.

So yeah, again. Lawyer.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

As a gun owner, please for the love of god do not buy a gun - especially not on the advice of cops. If you drop into TFR the regulars there will explain to you in great detail why the first step to self defense is to ensure you're never in a situation where you'd need one and the second one is to be willing and ready to shoot first if literally everything else you've put into place to ensure that you don't need a gun has failed. And I don't think you're on top of either of those things.

E: in fact I know you're not because the first step to ensuring you don't need a gun is to put secure, locking doors on your van.

corgski fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 3, 2021

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Rytheric posted:

I dont care much about the value of my property. I only care about the ability to defend myself. But your point still stands.

What were you prepared to do with that framing hammer? What was the homeless person doing that made you feel that this response was justified?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Like, I can just imagine that RyTruk is a cop's wet dream ideal of "reasonable suspicion."

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Danknificent posted:

It’s potentially constructive to offer achievable suggestions toward making *his* vision of cool guy homelessness less bonkers/perilous.

:goonsay:

quote:

The XY problem is asking about your attempted solution rather than your actual problem. This leads to enormous amounts of wasted time and energy, both on the part of people asking for help, and on the part of those providing help.

User wants to do X.
User doesn't know how to do X, but thinks they can fumble their way to a solution if they can just manage to do Y.
User doesn't know how to do Y either.
User asks for help with Y.
Others try to help user with Y, but are confused because Y seems like a strange problem to want to solve.
After much interaction and wasted time, it finally becomes clear that the user really wants help with X, and that Y wasn't even a suitable solution for X.

The problem occurs when people get stuck on what they believe is the solution and are unable step back and explain the issue in full.
https://xyproblem.info/

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Bogus Adventure posted:

to further add to this heien v north carolina established that ignorance of the law is completely 100% an excuse if you are a cop

so yeah dont trust cops about the law ever and ESPECIALLY not in north carolina

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Rytheric posted:

My main problem is that I've generally not had time to cook. I use to cook in college.

If you have time to cut wood with a chisel and build a fire pit in the back of a box truck, you have time to chop up fresh food and throw it in a frying pan.

I'm pointing this out because you have a bad habit of justifying poor decisions by saying you didn't have the time or money to do it any better, even though you end up spending more time and money cleaning up after the bad decision than if you'd just taken the good option in the first place.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Rytheric posted:

Yep, just a typical lock on a goddamn screen door and nothing of value except a telescope that's worth more than the vehicle. Plus all your worldly possessions, since you plan to live out of it.

I tried to be helpful based on my experience while avoiding peak snarkiness, but I don't think think I can do it. Good luck, my friend, I sincerely wish you well, but your inability to respond in a meaningful way to the myriad issues brought up by goons with way more experience and foresight is giving me agita.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Here, have the relevant part of the Newbie Questions thread OP about guns for self defense and why just about any other option is preferable.

poopgiggle posted:

Self protection - First off, before you start trying to pick a gun for self defense, you need to understand the law governing use of lethal force in your state. Any use of (including brandishing) a firearm, or anything that looks like a firearm, is lethal force. I highly recommend the book The Law of Self Defense by Andrew Branca. You also need to understand that, if you shoot at someone, it is entirely possible that you've conducted yourself 100% morally and lawfully and yet you will still go to prison, and/or go bankrupt from legal fees. It is also possible to cross the line and conduct yourself unlawfully and/or immorally, which will be a tragedy even if you don't face legal or financial consequences. Therefore, it should be understood that shooting (or even pointing) a gun at a person is your last resort. I strongly encourage you to invest in some quality OC spray, as well as some quality training related to verbal deescalation skills and empty-handed self defense skills. Having options other than lethal force is an Unquestionably Good Thing.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Yep, just a typical lock on a goddamn screen door and nothing of value except a telescope that's worth more than the vehicle. Plus all your worldly possessions, since you plan to live out of it.

I tried to be helpful based on my experience while avoiding peak snarkiness, but I don't think think I can do it. Good luck, my friend, I sincerely wish you well, but your inability to respond in a meaningful way to the myriad issues brought up by goons with way more experience and foresight is giving me agita.

If someone want to get in my vehicle and isn't deterred by a lock. They are going to. These things a hilariously easy to break into and steal. I lost the keys to the truck and took me less than 5 minutes to change out the cylinders. This is a mid-90s vehicle a french-man trying to escape godzilla would run straight to my box truck and take off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

corgski posted:

Here, have the relevant part of the Newbie Questions thread OP about guns for self defense and why just about any other option is preferable.

This, so very much this. De-escalation is paramount, and believe it or not it's the best option every time with what we're discussing.