Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah because you aren't paying them more money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

torgo posted:

Sirius XM is a decent value if you have to travel a lot and don't mind calling every year to 6 months to "cancel". Almost every time I call to cancel, they offer me a rate that is about 10-20% of the regular sub cost. And even when they don't and I do actually cancel, I get mail/email offers soon after. Their business model is entirely about getting people to sub and forget, and are willing to offer up cheap subs to chase that.

I had a trial sub when I first bought my car. I let it lapse, they kept sending emails every couple days with a lower and lower offer. Eventually it got down to $22 for 6 months. Which I accepted. It has stayed that way for 3 years.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Went to my local Amiga meet yesterday, first time I had been there since December 2019.

Got some good tips on doing a fresh install of WorkBench 3.1 on my A1200 and saw someone getting a Timex Sinclair 1000 (aka ZX81) working on a tiny black and white portable TV.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Cojawfee posted:

I guess it is best for people who are always driving. Not so great if you drive for a short amount of time at the same time every day. They definitely seem to have a schedule to what they play and I was hearing the same songs every day and got sick of it.
I think some of that has to do with whatever licensing they have at the moment.

The Radio Classics channel lost the rights to The Shadow a few years back because of this.

It really becomes apparent with the Hits of the (Decade) channel because as much as I love listening to Dave Matthew's Band where's my dose of bad House/Techno/rap music?

stevewm
May 10, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I think it might be a company-specific service, but one of my local Safeways has a gloriously insane music stream in-store. It jumps around between eras and genres with no regard for mortal sensibilities. I've heard it go from Dave Brubek to Eurythmics to Bing Crosby to recent stuff. I heard the jazz version of Yes's Roundabout in there, which I didn't even know was a thing.

If I could somehow get that stream in the car I would totally do it, Safeway ads and announcements included.

It is my experience that some of these are ran by outside companies. The company I work for is a member of a large co-op. Said co-op contracts an outside company to make customized streams for its members' stores. They too have an insane mix. They tend to stay away from "harder" rock or rap... but its quite the spread. I've heard it go from Ozzy, to showtunes/musicals, and then disco versions of the star-wars theme before, peppered with the occasional ad recorded by one of our own employees who has a fantastic "radio voice".

I found out this same company also produces streams for several other store chains.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I had a job in a long since defunct supermarket called Gateway when I was in college, and they used to play muzak all day, but it was the oddest mix of cover versions of stuff like the Stone Roses, Beatles and other good music.
I used to have to turn the cassette over some days and it was just labelled 'The Gateway Band Tape 5' - One of my biggest regrets was not just stealing it on my last day, they had a pile of them and I will never hear that stuff again, but it was incredible

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

EL BROMANCE posted:

Mark McGrath has a show on 90s for 9 which he solely seems to do in order to play Sugar Ray, in order to cash the check.

there's a new-ish "mostly 90s" station in my area now and god drat they sure do play the same two or three sugar ray songs a lot

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Minor fun fact: Every Lowe’s in the country plays the exact same music at the exact same time. It’s all streamed out of a rack in their data center up in Winston Salem.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There's music in Lowes? I guess I'm usually so focused on finding the thing I want that I don't notice it. Then again, I rarely notice music in movies or TV shows unless it's a song I know.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

I had a job in a long since defunct supermarket called Gateway when I was in college, and they used to play muzak all day, but it was the oddest mix of cover versions of stuff like the Stone Roses, Beatles and other good music.
I used to have to turn the cassette over some days and it was just labelled 'The Gateway Band Tape 5' - One of my biggest regrets was not just stealing it on my last day, they had a pile of them and I will never hear that stuff again, but it was incredible

Depending on when the tapes were from there was a period from the 70s to the late 80s where Muzak was having all of their pop covers recorded by a Czech Orchestra to avoid paying the musicians unions.

Resulted in some very weird sounding covers due to the limited reach of American pop music behind the iron curtain.

More info in the Article at this link
https://books.google.com/books?id=V...%20uncle%20john's%20bathroom&f=false

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

There's music in Lowes? I guess I'm usually so focused on finding the thing I want that I don't notice it. Then again, I rarely notice music in movies or TV shows unless it's a song I know.

On one hand there has to be as that was the purpose of that rack (though it just piping to nowhere wouldn’t be surprising to me), but on the other I can’t think of a time I’ve heard music there either.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Both of the Lowe's near me definitely have music playing and now I definitely need to have someone at the other one call me when I'm there and we can compare what's playing

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Warbird posted:

On one hand there has to be as that was the purpose of that rack (though it just piping to nowhere wouldn’t be surprising to me), but on the other I can’t think of a time I’ve heard music there either.

Walmart does that, too. It's up to store management if they turn the thing on or not. Best to let them decide, after the whole "the same six songs all day, and two of them are Bieber's" era. Most around here let the "Walmart Radio" show play for the over-nighters and turn it off at around 7am-ish.

Ever wonder why Biebs has Lyme disease? Fervent curses from thousands of Walmarteers at once.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The best part is it had a little car radio type display on it in the rack that would scroll the track and artist pass as if someone was going to go strolling umpteen rows and columns deep in a super restricted area to eyeball what music was playing v.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Warbird posted:

The best part is it had a little car radio type display on it in the rack that would scroll the track and artist pass as if someone was going to go strolling umpteen rows and columns deep in a super restricted area to eyeball what music was playing v.

The company that runs our streams sends the store a little black box we just have to plug in and power up. When we received the first one, I thought the form factor of it looked oddly familiar. And sure enough, opened one up and it had a Raspberry Pi 3 in it.

They charge $75 for it.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Tbf that's an incredibly small markup for Enterprise™ hardware (even though I'm sure the physical unit is only a small part of the contract pricing)

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
A couple stores used to (might still) use private satellite feeds to transmit/receive their music.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Sentient Data posted:

Tbf that's an incredibly small markup for Enterprise™ hardware (even though I'm sure the physical unit is only a small part of the contract pricing)

Yeah...

They charge $55 USD per month per location for the service. But they handle everything including the appropriate licensing required to play music in a public setting.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Going to be expensive over time as those SD cards tend to eat themselves pretty regularly if you don’t make some system tweaks first. Can’t fault them though, if you need a small form factor computer you may as well go with a Pi.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I would hope of they are selling it as a set it and forget it type thing, they set it up so that it logs to RAM instead of constantly writing to the SD card.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I paid for the lifetime subscription to Sirius way back in like 2007 and they are trying so drat hard to kick me off it. when I transferred it between cars they wanted me to send in a bill of sale for the new car. They also won’t transfer it to another radio in the event of an accident unless you send in a police report.

It’s loving insane. They must hate the lifetime subs

My brother got his Sirius subscription (pre-XM merger) in '04 when he spent three summers on the wheat harvest. He's replaced the radio twice and managed to keep his subscription. He still uses it to, he now delivers propane for rural Oklahoma homes and it keeps him entertained.

He's also said keeping it has been like pulling teeth, and he'll probably give up and just stream from his phone like everyone else if they try to fight him over it again. Spite has kept him fighting for a long time, but he's mellowing out in his middle age.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I would hope of they are selling it as a set it and forget it type thing, they set it up so that it logs to RAM instead of constantly writing to the SD card.

There was a pretty good Twitter thread recently about some infosec person going through a oi used in a person/step sensor and it having a partition filled with data named “spermbank” or something. Wish I could find it again.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Warbird posted:

There was a pretty good Twitter thread recently about some infosec person going through a oi used in a person/step sensor and it having a partition filled with data named “spermbank” or something. Wish I could find it again.

Click through for the thread:

https://twitter.com/OverSoftNL/status/1357296455615197184

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

the best racket going is that if you run a business and have Muzak streaming in, ASCAP will harass the gently caress out of you for $600+/year claiming you "broadcast" music. My last hotel, they even tried to claim it for the TVs in the breakfast area.

Anyway last night I had a dream I was back in high school and we were required to disassemble and rebuild an Apple IIe for some class, and I blame this thread.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

the best racket going is that if you run a business and have Muzak streaming in, ASCAP will harass the gently caress out of you for $600+/year claiming you "broadcast" music. My last hotel, they even tried to claim it for the TVs in the breakfast area.

Anyway last night I had a dream I was back in high school and we were required to disassemble and rebuild an Apple IIe for some class, and I blame this thread.

Yeah, back when we were smaller we received some nasty letters from them about our on-hold music. (we piped a local FM station into the phone system) and then shortly after another one because it was playing over our PA system.

A good chunk of the $55 per month goes to the ASCAP assholes.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Appreciate it goon

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

my turn in the barrel posted:

Depending on when the tapes were from there was a period from the 70s to the late 80s where Muzak was having all of their pop covers recorded by a Czech Orchestra to avoid paying the musicians unions.

Resulted in some very weird sounding covers due to the limited reach of American pop music behind the iron curtain.

As a connoisseur of Muzak I am desperately trying to find these awful communist renditions now, thank you for alerting me to this

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Powered Descent posted:

Click through for the thread:

LOL:

https://twitter.com/OverSoftNL/status/1357300951225421824

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Dr. Quarex posted:

As a connoisseur of Muzak I am desperately trying to find these awful communist renditions now, thank you for alerting me to this

As weird as the linked source book title is, uncle john's bathroom reader is full of awesome articles about all sorts of quirky subjects.

As a kid I loved reading them inspite of the odd looks it would garner in public. I really should look up what they've put out in the last 20 years.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

my turn in the barrel posted:

As weird as the linked source book title is, uncle john's bathroom reader is full of awesome articles about all sorts of quirky subjects.

As a kid I loved reading them inspite of the odd looks it would garner in public. I really should look up what they've put out in the last 20 years.

I used to read those too, they were a good collection of unusual facts and stories. I’d see them at used bookstores all the time for dirt cheap prices, but I was always hesitant to buy. Something about reading a book that someone else might have thumbed through while they were actually on the shitter weirded me out.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
Mac IIfx progress:
Got a 64 MB ram upgrade, which is a lot more than the original 8 MB.
Novell Etherport II card didn't like any of my switches (not even the managed TP-Link set to 10 MBit mode). I might try a 100 Mbit unmanaged switch in the middle. Also ordered a "modern" AUI/10Base-T adapter which might work better.
But I did get networking working with the original Apple AUI/Thinnet card!

All I had to do was install a second network card in my Pentium 2 machine, set that to 10Base2, then install a piece of software to bridge the normal network card and the new thinnet card.
Then I found out why everyone hated thinnet, turns out it flat out doesn't work if it isn't terminated correctly. I used 50 Ohm coax, and a 50 Ohm terminator, it only started working when I added another 50 Ohm terminator (i.e. 25 Ohm load impedance).
It's kind of neat to see the network activity on the scope in real time though, I can even see collisions as a voltage doubling on the bus.

With that out of the way, I couldn't get any of the FTP programs I had found for System 7 to work, Transmit just crashed System 7.5, and wouldn't connect under A/UX. Anarchie connected but got confused by the IIS FTP directory listing and wasn't usable.
So the only way to bootstrap a usable file transfer to the system was to use the Unix FTP program to transfer iCab, which didn't work under A/UX but did work under 7.5.

With that done I could transfer Toast and the Mac OS 7.6 install CD image, and now I have 7.6.1 installed!

Hoping to get a better video adapter this week, 640x480 256 colour is not terrible but not exactly good either.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Fetch was the FTP program of ubiquity at the time iirc.

drat that's some memories though

e: still there lol https://fetchsoftworks.com/

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
Amazing, I'll give it a try later. iCab works for now but obviously a little annoying to download a folder structure with that.

I'm assuming it'll be possible to use Anarchie with some tweaks to the FTP server settings or something, I suppose it could even be a Y2k bug.

Might even get another 64 MB RAM kit at some point if they're still available then, just to fully max the computer out.
A second 1.44 MB floppy drive would be nice too, the 800k drive isn't all that useful for me.

E: Fetch worked! Seems a little faster than iCab as well, getting 120 kb/s!

longview has a new favorite as of 22:55 on Mar 2, 2021

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Wow, hearing Fetch and iCab mentioned takes me back. I remembered iCab but had to look at the website for my memories of Fetch to come back.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hours spent watching the little dog cursor running along while my .sit.hqx file downloaded

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Remember GraphicConverter? Apparently it is still around, too. I made fairly heavy use of it as a Photoshop stand-in kind of like Gimp on Windows.

https://www.lemkesoft.de/en/products/graphicconverter/

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
BBEdit

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Data Graham posted:

Hours spent watching the little dog cursor running along while my .sit.hqx file downloaded

They never would've survived the 90s if Steve hadn't come back, but god drat was Apple between Jobs' tenures a more fun company.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Oh yeah, that takes me back, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You Am I posted:

Went to my local Amiga meet yesterday, first time I had been there since December 2019.

Got some good tips on doing a fresh install of WorkBench 3.1 on my A1200 and saw someone getting a Timex Sinclair 1000 (aka ZX81) working on a tiny black and white portable TV.

I should look for one of these. I have an Amiga 1000 with a 15 mb hard drive that I can’t figure out how to set up properly.