Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Khanstant posted:

It's occurring to me that "metroidvania" as a genre really has "vania" doing all the heavy lifting. Not thinking of any metroidvania I've played that actually leaned more towards the metroid part. I reckon Supraland to some extent has some 3d metroidy feels. Not like Prime feels, but 3d metroid.

Shadow Complex is almost a remake of Super Metroid with a completely ignorable RPG mechanic, Xeodrifter, Environmental Station Alpha are both minimalist takes on Metroid, Axiom Verge is an attempt to evoke the feeling of Metroid, they're just less common than -vania side ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Help Im Alive posted:

i am enjoying "lonely mountains: downhill" the chill game about cycling down mountain trails

Reverse Celeste as I like to call it

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I'd kill for a new take on Science and Industry. I'm honestly surprised no one has tried yet, it's kind of a simple premise that could be expanded upon in a lot of different directions.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
The ongoing saga of The Sinking City, a Lovecraftian adventure game, has resulted in a few twists and turns this week. Originally the developer of the game, Frogwares, partnered with Big Ben Interactive (who are now known as Nacon) as publisher and released the game on last gen consoles and the Epic store on PC. A few months later they then said the publisher had broken contract by witholding funding and claiming ownership of the IP and source code. This resulted in the game being pulled from sale. The developer then uploaded their own version to GamesPlanet (a legit PC digital store) as published by themselves, and more recently uploaded a PS5 version of the game with some improvements but said that owners of the PS4 version couldn't upgrade due to legal reasons. At around the same time the game went up for sale on Steam for about 24 hours before being pulled.

This week the publisher took control of the Steam app id and uploaded a cracked version they had downloaded from GamesPlanet and hacked their publisher logo into, claiming they had the rights to the game but not any of the DLC made post launch and blaming the developer for all the shenanigans; however, they forgot to remove the developers' access to the Steam app and so two competing announcements appeared on the Store page (one stating the game was now available for sale, the other saying DO NOT BUY THIS GAME). They also cracked the wrong version of the game as the one on Steam includes the DLC that they are apparently not allowed to sell. The game them disappeared from the Steam store completely about an hour ago (even the store page has been nuked and cannot be accessed, which no longer happens when games are withdrawn from sale), however nobody appears to have told a bunch of legit digital stores who still have keys for sale (see https://gg.deals/game/the-sinking-city/).

Apparently all these people already went to court so who knows what is going on.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Arzaac posted:

I dont think this is canon but I like to imagine that a whole lot more people than Tidus and Jecht have come out of dream zanarkand and all have similar stories about encountering Sin which leads people to assume Sin is causing their amnesia

I always assumed that Sin always had a spirit of Zanarkand as it's heart since it's essentially the manifestation of Zanarkand's rage against Bevelle. That would explain how and why Jecht came to Spira in the first place.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Help Im Alive posted:

i am enjoying "lonely mountains: downhill" the chill game about cycling down mountain trails

Yeah that game rules. It was my #10 goty last year because I am the pinnacle of good taste

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

homeless snail posted:

qfg3 is one of the most powerfully aesthetic adventure games of the era, also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85NktoZqMO4

right up there with rise of the dragon and under a killing moon

It does need to be mentioned that there are some problematic elements, or at least stereotypes that could be seen as somewhat racist. Like the first game is in Not Bavaria and you know this by the lederhosen and suspenders, the second is Not Arabia complete with genies and flying carpets, and ect.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
As someone who lives in the land of bratwurst and lederhosen, I found it more amusingly quaint than offensive. It's an intentional pastiche of classic fantasy settings, making fun of the stereotypes is part of the package.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Cardiovorax posted:

As someone who lives in the land of bratwurst and lederhosen, I found it more amusingly quaint than offensive. It's an intentional pastiche of classic fantasy settings, making fun of the stereotypes is part of the package.

It doesn't bother me but it might bother some. But I agree, even in the dark ages of the 90's I always felt it was deliberately tongue in cheek especially in 1 and 4. But then I was a teenager in the 90's.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Unreal_One posted:

Shadow Complex is almost a remake of Super Metroid with a completely ignorable RPG mechanic, Xeodrifter, Environmental Station Alpha are both minimalist takes on Metroid, Axiom Verge is an attempt to evoke the feeling of Metroid, they're just less common than -vania side ones.

I think I own Axiom which i bought on impulse because of the virtual boy colours, i should check it out

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Khanstant posted:

Super Metroid is crazy, I keep thinking I'm basically done with the game but it looks like I actually have a bunch of crap left to unlock in the status screen. Got the gravity suit last night and found this whole new zone. Also Crateria has the weirdest music in the game, it's like an RPGMaker2000 jingle for a triumphant castle town or something, like, it's very jaunty and a little regal. Really, could slap this in a jRPG after a boss fight for the victory walk home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx4Gsp5rcwM

Do speedrunners skip these parts or do I just tune out by then, Maridia sounds made up but I'm here.

I haven't even run into the super metroids yet!

It's occurring to me that "metroidvania" as a genre really has "vania" doing all the heavy lifting. Not thinking of any metroidvania I've played that actually leaned more towards the metroid part. I reckon Supraland to some extent has some 3d metroidy feels. Not like Prime feels, but 3d metroid.
Actually all of the metroidvanias that have released and are yet to release over the past few years are more on the metroid side if they do not have RPG levelling systems and visible damage numbers and such, and that's most of them.

Obviously if they need to be scifi in a space and/or isolated setting, that's a lot stricter, and there's only a half dozen of those.

Other ways to divide them:

code:
  Metroid  |  Vania
     SciFi | Fantasy
Futuristic | Historical
  Shooting | Melee

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 3, 2021

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lonely mountain owns!!

I wish they would put like a track viewer mode so i could spin the maps around and study them cause they are cool and full of shortcuts

I also wish they werent enamored with foreground elements obscuring the track constantly but otherwise its pretty perfect

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

One great thing about Sierra games is they introduced me to mancala and 9 men's morris which I still play with my wife to this day.

Now I want to load up ScummVM and play one of these.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Walla posted:

It does need to be mentioned that there are some problematic elements, or at least stereotypes that could be seen as somewhat racist. Like the first game is in Not Bavaria and you know this by the lederhosen and suspenders, the second is Not Arabia complete with genies and flying carpets, and ect.
the african stuff in 3 always seemed the most respectful of all of them at least, they do a lot of work to make african fantasy extremely cool, even if sometimes that manifests as a white guy challenging tribesmen to games of mancala

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Those of you that like quest for glory, be aware that the Coles, the husband and wife team that designed the quest for glory games, have released their own spiritual sequel, Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption. Pc and now switch.

While I know it exists I have no idea how good it is. I kickstarter it before I had a kid and when it was released said 'sweet I'll play that sometime but not soon'.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
QfG3 did a pretty good job of portraying tribal traditions as sophisticated and deserving of respect in their own right.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The Metroid item jingle and the Ys item jingle feel like twins separated at birth

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD1zZSddOFk

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It’s weird how Metroid from Metroid looks so much like Samus from smash bros

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Oh lol according to some liner notes from the soundtrack, the guy who did the music made the ys item get sound based on the metroid item get sound because he liked the metroid one.

Now I just want an ys game that is more like a metroid game, there were already a few that felt like they could potentially be metroid-esque since they took place in open environments with new skills unlocking new areas but you were still kept from exploring because of higher level enemies.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jay Rust posted:

It’s weird how Metroid from Metroid looks so much like Samus from smash bros

Huh no way, metroid is wearing cool armor and samus is just in some jumpsuit

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

Hey chat thread I got married today :) hope everyone is having a good day!

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

bovis posted:

Was the wedding zelda themed or halo themed

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

Lol thankfully neither

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

bovis posted:

Lol thankfully neither

so, mario?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

bovis posted:

wow, congrats!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Congrats on your guilty gear-themed wedding

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Which harvest moon girl did you go for

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

FirstAidKite posted:

Congrats on your guilty gear-themed wedding

I would marry elphelt

Edit: wait dont lock that in, i gotta check the age in the bio actually. I aint doing time for no waifu

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

I would marry elphelt

I don't think you'd have a choice in the matter

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

tired: videogame weddings
wired: boardgame weddings

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

I mean I just finished 13 Sentinels so obviously themed on that

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Oh, so it was a nude wedding. Those are fun.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

homeless snail posted:

the african stuff in 3 always seemed the most respectful of all of them at least, they do a lot of work to make african fantasy extremely cool, even if sometimes that manifests as a white guy challenging tribesmen to games of mancala

Cardiovorax posted:

QfG3 did a pretty good job of portraying tribal traditions as sophisticated and deserving of respect in their own right.

Oh definitely. I love that they used actual Swahili instead of just making some poo poo up.

xedo posted:

Those of you that like quest for glory, be aware that the Coles, the husband and wife team that designed the quest for glory games, have released their own spiritual sequel, Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption. Pc and now switch.

While I know it exists I have no idea how good it is. I kickstarter it before I had a kid and when it was released said 'sweet I'll play that sometime but not soon'.

On Switch? I may have to purchase this if it's available digitally.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

bovis posted:

Congrats, I hope it went better than this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkVcjdR3n2Y

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

I went looking for gifs of Elphelt to post and I noticed some gif results were from something awful and it turned out to be my own posts

...idk what to say about that

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

FirstAidKite posted:

I went looking for gifs of Elphelt to post and I noticed some gif results were from something awful and it turned out to be my own posts

...idk what to say about that

Post the cake attack

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cardiovorax posted:

Oh, so it was a nude wedding. Those are fun.

Ah, Skyrim themed

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

haveblue posted:

Ah, Skyrim themed

nah, that's where you overdo it at the free bar and wake up in a wooden cart

congrats, bovis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009