Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

PLEASE I want a 3080 Ti for Quake RTX, pleeeease

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

repiv posted:

if it wasn't obviously fake enough (there is no jailbreak for the ps5) the QR code says "there is no such software haha" in chinese

drat, trolled.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
So I just ran a Port Royals benchmark for shits and giggles to see what temps I would get on my 3060ti in a 30 degree F room, and it didn’t crack 51 degrees C. I’ll post graphs tomorrow when I can run the test again in a regular 68 degree room.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I have to imagine there's someone out there trying to get iGPUs to mine, which is going to be great for the APU market

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

I have to imagine there's someone out there trying to get iGPUs to mine, which is going to be great for the APU market

I’m sure there is. There’s even monero which is designed specifically so CPU mining can still be a thing.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I’m surprised they haven’t come up with a coin that requires humans in the mining loop

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

shrike82 posted:

I’m surprised they haven’t come up with a coin that requires humans in the mining loop

the steamshovel really hosed that up for good

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

shrike82 posted:

That should have been the plot of The Matrix

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

shrike82 posted:

You mean like the plotline in Lost with the hatch?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Can't wait to find out that some country has prison inmates or intern camps of people running on treadmills powering mining GPUs.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

PLEASE I want a 3080 Ti for Quake RTX, pleeeease

3080 Dollars on eBay might unironically fit.

The 3080Ti would outpace the 3080 and 3090 in demand as it would offer the best of both from a gaming perspective and the VRAM hysteria is real over here.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

I guess the best outcome for anyone would have been if they managed to get their hands on a 3080 at msrp before launch, then wait a couple months and sell their 1080ti so that they end up getting paid 100bux for upgrading.

On the VR thing, the quest 2 despite its facebook shite is a game changer. I think its ruined pancake games for me.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

CyberPingu posted:

Can't wait to find out that some country has prison inmates or intern camps of people running on treadmills powering mining GPUs.

Probably the food to feed the prisoners and buying treadmill equipment is more expensive than just buying electricity directly.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

The Architect reveals to Neo that humanity has been enslaved to power his bitcoin farm

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Ihmemies posted:

Probably the food to feed the prisoners and buying treadmill equipment is more expensive than just buying electricity directly.

"Treadmill equipment" in my mind was a giant hamster wheel hooked up to a generator.

Also it was a joke

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

KinkyJohn posted:

The Architect reveals to Neo that humanity has been enslaved to power his bitcoin farm

The machines taking over to mine more bitcoin is way more plausible than the actual plot of the Matrix.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
My boss just asked me how long it would take to get 10 new high end GPU PCs because someone ordered 10 new 3D medical scanners without asking. I have been warning everyone at work about the supply chain & cost issues for months :negative:

A quarter million dollars in medical scanners sitting around waiting for GPUs.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Nothus posted:

The machines taking over to mine more bitcoin is way more plausible than the actual plot of the Matrix.

Not to get too off topic, but this was essentially what the original plot of the Matrix was supposed to be - human brains were being used for their computational power by the machines. Warner Brothers thought the audience wouldn't understand this, and made them change it to batteries.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

bus hustler posted:

My boss just asked me how long it would take to get 10 new high end GPU PCs because someone ordered 10 new 3D medical scanners without asking. I have been warning everyone at work about the supply chain & cost issues for months :negative:

A quarter million dollars in medical scanners sitting around waiting for GPUs.

this is kind of a really stupid question but why would a medical scanner need a GPU?

I mean, I think about it for five seconds and I imagine it's possible that something that's doing 3D imaging (like an MRI?) might find it useful to have a piece of hardware dedicated to doing 3D rendering to help it along, but like, how does that work? I keep imagining a big ol' MRI machine except there's a PCI-e slot somewhere on the side??? Why wouldn't they build a medical scanner that can run by itself?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

this is kind of a really stupid question but why would a medical scanner need a GPU?

I mean, I think about it for five seconds and I imagine it's possible that something that's doing 3D imaging (like an MRI?) might find it useful to have a piece of hardware dedicated to doing 3D rendering to help it along, but like, how does that work? I keep imagining a big ol' MRI machine except there's a PCI-e slot somewhere on the side??? Why wouldn't they build a medical scanner that can run by itself?

I assume the processing and visualization is done on regular PC hardware connected to the scanning machine.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
We use them in 2 spots and then a ton on the Workstation side for CAD. 3D imaging as you say, taking thousands of slices of radiograph & putting them together on the fly, & then making that immediately available on the PC for the provider. (We own like 3 of these machines they're physically big) Once these are processed they are uploaded to a server & are viewable on more standard H/W (they do well enough on old intel integrated)

Then these ones are portable scanners that take a full 3d model of mouth, gums, teeth, etc. on the fly that's completely able to be manipulated in CAD software. Those are the ones they just bought (25-60k each on the model). So we will strap a desktop to a cart or get a high powered laptop on a cart for these, whatever I can friggin get from Dell/CDW. Maybe they'll let me go to Fauxtool :v:

They'll run ok on Turing cards if we can get them but lol at that too. We're a medical school so our scale is bigger than most actual clinics & we dabble in literally everything, there's 4 people using the software this way, a group of 6 doing something totally else, etc.

We maintain a lab of ~GTX 1650 PCs for general use and then an expensive lab of 2080 Supers. I am trying to go to server based GPU stuff but tbh we're not at the scale that it's really cheaper than just buying GPUs - we use a 3rd party non LogMeIn solution to offer fully 3D accelerated remote access to them (behind VPN & 2fa) after hours so that kinda works like a server

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Mar 2, 2021

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Are quadros also hard to get right now? It seems like that’s the perfect application for them, rather than trying to do that stuff on consumer level gaming cards.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
The problem is we really just need CUDA cores not actual Quadro features, so to get the ~2080 level of performance just costs a ton, but yeah I am going to ~explore all options~ including Alienwares.

This may shock you (lol im sure it wont) but they did not budget any money for the computers in that purchase.

edit: we are also limited by vendor agreements, but I can do an Amazon shop in an emergency

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

If you’re buying prebuilt PCs by invoicing from a big established business (like a university or hospital) it’s not really all that hard to get these things. I think they’re holding a reserve for exactly that.

Case in point: guy I work with needed a new computer for big GIS stuff. University ordered it and a week later it was in-hand. 3070.

Hospital person probably won’t actually have THAT much trouble going the pre-built route like that.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
An RTX 5000 gets blown out of the water by an RTX 3080, and the RTX 5000 by itself is +$1,400. We aren't doing precise calculations we just want raw speed and CUDA cores. And we don't need the 16GB VRAM.

That's the rub.

South
Apr 9, 2001

I am the highest paid lifeguard in the world. Love me.
Is it acceptable to ask what bots are good for trying to get a GPU?

I'd rather spend the extra $ on a bot so I could possibly get a card for my brother in law and myself than pay double the retail price to some scalper.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/tomshardware/status/1366836668951633921?s=20

lol

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

It’s only a value GPU because R9-290s from a year older are going for $100 more!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Reads like an Onion headline

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
Funny, I was just looking back in the thread on page 265 for the first person to get a 970, which would still be a decent value GPU 7 years later.

9/18/2014

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

South posted:

I'd rather spend the extra $ on a bot so I could possibly get a card for my brother in law and myself than pay double the retail price to some scalper.

I haven’t looked into it myself, but a guy I know said bots for this type of thing costs thousands of dollars. They’re basically only for people that wanna scalp for a living.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Romes128 posted:

I haven’t looked into it myself, but a guy I know said bots for this type of thing costs thousands of dollars. They’re basically only for people that wanna scalp for a living.

i believe they're also pretty selective about who they sell bots to becuase they don't want to give away the game to people who might come up with more robust measures

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Kivi posted:

I never get the audio or USB to not to stutter. Any tips?

yeah, send me a 6xxx series card and I'll figure it out for you :v

I've only half-heartedly looked for one since I don't really have any time to game until april.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the 970 was a workhorse of a card
have the 1070/2070/3070s come close to it in price-to-performance? i guess lol at getting a 3070 at MSRP right now

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

shrike82 posted:

the 970 was a workhorse of a card
have the 1070/2070/3070s come close to it in price-to-performance? i guess lol at getting a 3070 at MSRP right now

i would argue not even close. the 970 launched at only 350 USD, the only one i would consider close (since iirc the 1070 and particularly 2070 had a reputation for being terrible value, correct me if I'm wrong) 3070 - which was widely praised for value - launched at 479 just six years later. it's a baller card but it's no 970 in terms of relative performance either imo. i think the pressures were pretty similar, too - competition from AMD and freshly launched consoles.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Other than the scandal where 3 GB of VRAM was full speed but the last 1 GB was far slower, the 970 was a champ of a card for the price at 1080p.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Holy poo poo lol

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

South posted:

PM me your discord if you are serious about finding a paid bot service. I can send you a referral to one of the more aggressive ones. Depending on what gpu you are shopping for (not a 3080) there may also be free options.

This is not an invitation for other people to PM me about it

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 3, 2021

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Romes128 posted:

Sounds about right

My fiancés younger brother has been a sneakerhead/botter for about 2 years now but hasn't delved into GPUs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

CoolCab posted:

i would argue not even close. the 970 launched at only 350 USD, the only one i would consider close (since iirc the 1070 and particularly 2070 had a reputation for being terrible value, correct me if I'm wrong) 3070 - which was widely praised for value - launched at 479 just six years later. it's a baller card but it's no 970 in terms of relative performance either imo. i think the pressures were pretty similar, too - competition from AMD and freshly launched consoles.

$329-370 for 970 at launch and now we're looking at $490+ for the AIB 3060. The 980 ti killed the 980 pretty quickly launching at $649 to lose out by a hair to the $1,000 Titan. The 1070 wasn't as good of a value as the 970 but still gave you 980 ti perf + 2GB more VRAM at less power usage. 2xxx series was an awful price from the start and began the steep climb upwards compared to 2002-2017 GPU prices. You could get the best or second-best card for $500-649 for nearly two decades.