Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Ventral EggSac posted:

There's no drugs in stair wang though

Han is a spice smuggler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Spazzle posted:

Beware the Ganja jar

What's in the jar?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Shoehead posted:

What's in the jar?

Pain.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Quick, someone get me some butter for this bread.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

GF asked to watch Dune. I hid my excitement and didn't recommend finding an extended cut. It had been like two decades since I actually watched it from beginning to end.

It's such a bad movie. Costumes and casting and hair and sets are unreal and the effects can't be judged too harshly for the time period.

However the transitional scenes are not just poorly written and directed they're practically unwatchable. Questions from GF like what the gently caress is going on? And I'm like well they just skipped about a year here and I guess you can see that the Sarduakar are attacking because we just watched four different scenes of people walking down hallways. So you're saying THIS is the fall of House Atreides? Yeah I guess. Did Paul just say he was drugged and why is Leto talking about not marrying Jessica? Ummm. Welp I guess they had to cut a lot of poo poo out. A million deaths are not enough for Yueh. Wait did she just say a million? Yeah I guess a million people died in that last scene. The one where two people talked in a hallway??

Yeah it's real bad. The end is so laughable too. It's a slap in the face of anyone who actually read Dune to say where there was war Muad'Dib brought peace. Tell that to the 61 billion deaths in the jihad. I guess his Terrible Purpose was bringing love to those that had hate. lmao

And boy oh boy did they waste Virginia Madsen. The opening scene of her explaining Dune is so good and the only line in the actual movie she gets is "Father?" to which he answers "Irulan you must leave." and she scurries off. woof.

And of course completely ruining the entire point of Dune by Paul making it rain because he became an actual god for reals and then completely ignoring the underlying point of the book which is the golden path because humanity is doomed without it. All in all a failure. I knew it going in but sometimes you have to rewatch to really appreciate the failure

kiimo fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 28, 2021

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I am so mad I'm literally fuming rn

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
"A million deaths are not enough for Yueh" refers to Yueh dying a million times over for his treachery. It's one of the introductory quotes in the book.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

kiimo posted:

GF asked to watch Dune. I hid my excitement and didn't recommend finding an extended cut. It had been like two decades since I actually watched it from beginning to end.

It's such a bad movie. Costumes and casting and hair and sets are unreal and the effects can't be judged too harshly for the time period.

However the transitional scenes are not just poorly written and directed they're practically unwatchable. Questions from GF like what the gently caress is going on? And I'm like well they just skipped about a year here and I guess you can see that the Sarduakar are attacking because we just watched four different scenes of people walking down hallways. So you're saying THIS is the fall of House Atreides? Yeah I guess. Did Paul just say he was drugged and why is Leto talking about not marrying Jessica? Ummm. Welp I guess they had to cut a lot of poo poo out. A million deaths are not enough for Yueh. Wait did she just say a million? Yeah I guess a million people died in that last scene. The one where two people talked in a hallway??

Yeah it's real bad. The end is so laughable too. It's a slap in the face of anyone who actually read Dune to say where there was war Muad'Dib brought peace. Tell that to the 61 billion deaths in the jihad. I guess his Terrible Purpose was bringing love to those that had hate. lmao

And boy oh boy did they waste Virginia Madsen. The opening scene of her explaining Dune is so good and the only line in the actual movie she gets is "Father?" to which he answers "Irulan you must leave." and she scurries off. woof.

And of course completely ruining the entire point of Dune by Paul making it rain because he became an actual god for reals and then completely ignoring the underlying point of the book which is the golden path because humanity is doomed without it. All in all a failure. I knew it going in but sometimes you have to rewatch to really appreciate the failure

Yeah but battle pug.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I loved how the Dune Encyclopedia described Yueh.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

THE BAR posted:

Yeah but battle pug.

:hmmyes: but with eyes of ibad

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

*pug leaps from gurney's arms, rabbit of caerbannog style*

jean luc picard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFkxJBiQpGo

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

/\/\ still better than @duneauthor

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Flakey posted:

"A million deaths are not enough for Yueh" refers to Yueh dying a million times over for his treachery. It's one of the introductory quotes in the book.

Ah interesting definitely didn't remember that. I know my post is no great revelation but it watching it again made me actually feel more hopeful that a good Dune movie can be done if you go about it correctly.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Just dropped this in the Simpsons meme thread, but I can't think of a better place to crosspost it.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Flakey posted:

Its still a good shorthand for the difference between book and movie- the movie just has Jessica yell it in frustration, the book has it as an "Atreides battle cry" as the epigraph for a chapter that's mostly devoted to humanizing Yueh

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I watched the lynch film for the first time in a decade last year and I had a good time but it's an absolute mess. The venn diagram of enjoying lynch movies, enjoying dune, and being okay with a garbage adaptation is not going to have a lot of people in the center but I'm here

If there's one thing the lynch film has going for it, it's that the film actually came out and you can watch it

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Lincoln posted:

Just dropped this in the Simpsons meme thread, but I can't think of a better place to crosspost it.

lmao

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
id argue that the first ninety minutes of lynch dune are good, then they cram about four hours into thirty minutes

whos this sassy lost child? why are her eyes so blue? why the hell is she telling us who the kwisatz haderach is? why can the worms do that? what? sting?

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

THE BAR posted:

Yeah but battle pug.

You know, as awful as 80''s Dune was, all the best and most memorable stuff from that movie was all Lynchian.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

People complain about rhe movie skipping around, but the book does exactly that.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

David Lynch's Dune was a good David Lynch movie, it was not a good Dune movie. :colbert:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

David Lynch's Dune was a good David Lynch movie, it was not a good Dune movie. :colbert:

That's exactly it.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

One of my favourite sets is when the Harkonnens are talking about their bad plans, while the Baron is busy having his pus extracted and servant molested. Place is ostensibly somewhere in the Baron's royal quarters, but it looks like a slaughterhouse.

Also, their true colours are shown when both the Baron and Rabban are seen polluting that little sewer duct thing! :stonk:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I like Rabban having a juice box that involves crushing some small critter (which screams) to extract a minimal amount of juice.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Premonitions of juicero

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

If juicero had screaming juice packs they’d have a trillion dollar market cap :colbert:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

https://twitter.com/IvankaTrump/status/715648874346520576

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Imperial Consumer Reports have found out that you can pretty much get the same amount of juice by squeezing an animal with your own hands as when you are using the new overpriced ixian gadget.

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Daily tleilaxu-pressed spice we can make at home? Yes, please: http://bit.ly/axlotl #Healthy
@axlotl #axlotl

Posthuman
Jan 10, 2005

I give all those dicks and cocks sir

Flakey posted:

I thought it meant that a "million" (a large number of) deaths weren't enough, and he had to reach for just one more: the death of the Baron Harkonnen.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

priznat posted:

I like Rabban having a juice box that involves crushing some small critter (which screams) to extract a minimal amount of juice.

Now suddenly remembering they do more or less the same thing in Orc Stain but with a creature that's bioengineered to be a living soda can.

Also it's literally just the Juice Loosener. Which come to think of it is prescient in far too many ways.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Ventral EggSac posted:

Daily tleilaxu-pressed spice we can make at home? Yes, please: http://bit.ly/axlotl #Healthy
@axlotl #axlotl

Lol

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Posthuman posted:

I thought it meant that a "million" (a large number of) deaths weren't enough, and he had to reach for just one more: the death of the Baron Harkonnen.

nah I agree with the other guy

It's I wish I could kill this motherfucker over and over

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

The Bloop posted:

nah I agree with the other guy

It's I wish I could kill this motherfucker over and over

It’s this

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I agree there are tons of memorable Lynch creations. I loving LOVE the stage 3 navigator and I like heart plugs and weirding modules even if they create a huge plot hole and steal agency from the Bene Gesserit women.

But I disagree that Dune is a good Lynch movie, it's a bad Lynch movie because of some fundamental flaws and even he thinks so. The pacing is criminal and even if the book is as well a good director should fix that. It just has a lot of cool poo poo in it. I'm nervous to even start this debate lest SuperMechaGodzilla comes in here and shits up the thread like the Star Wars prequels talking about Dune's awesome juxtaposition of sets or whatever

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I thought SMG was banned lol

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I enjoy the heck out of the Lynch film (even the hosed up super long cut) but I wouldn’t call it great. It has definitely shaped a lot of my impression of the dune universe though because it came out before I was old enough to read the books, so still suits look like that in my head now, etc.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

priznat posted:

Came here to post this. Everyone remembers the cat milking device, but almost nobody remembers the little screaming insect capri sun. The cartoonishly evil way the Harkonnens were depicted is one of the best parts of the Lynch movie. You can almost hear David behind the camera going "OK, this time laugh even more maniacally."

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I think when the Baron pulls that heart plug Sting's smile has a quality of "I'm supposed to appear to be into this but I'm actually horrified" i dunno if that was Sting's idea or Lynch's idea or if I'm just reading into it because I read the book but I think it's great no matter what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Why does Frank write it as "axlotl" and not "axolotl"? That kind of bugs me.