Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

"I can't find somewhere to park my car" is probably the most dickhead reason to deny poor people a home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

I'd argue that housing homeless people in high density micro sheds instead of passing laws that diminish your middle class capital gains, is as morally reprehensible.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Do go on

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Does this really need to be built? I mean aren't there workhouses? Prisons?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

What I mean is, I don't think those things are mutually exclusive, but I'm curious to hear the viewpoint that providing a shelter, which is probably not a palace but presumably quite livable, could be regarded as morally reprehensible

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

No no we'll pass some big taxes on homeowners but it's not necessary to build new housing. The feel good warming sensation created from soaking the rich is enough to protect the unhoused from the cold outdoor elements.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

odiv posted:

Does this really need to be built? I mean aren't there workhouses? Prisons?

I think this is a really good point. Instead of turning parking lots into low income housing maybe we should turn low income housing into prisons.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Jordan7hm posted:

I think this is a really good point. Instead of turning parking lots into low income housing maybe we should turn low income housing into prisons.

You can't charge rent to the people living there

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Maybe some kind of prison for people who can't pay their debts?

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

We can't build sensible state housing projects because it's too expensive so maybe pass laws that depress the value of land?

I can see all the densitynistas thought bubbles flashing "but not like that!".

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

McGavin posted:

I am intrigued by your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter!

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

McGavin posted:

If one adjusted for inflation, would it truly be that much more expensive to ship the homeless to a new moon colony than it was to Australia?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Oakland Martini posted:

I have a parking permit and my apartment is right up the street from a long-term care home/medical complex and Kensington Market. There are plenty of empty spaces at night but it's impossible to find parking during the day. If I run an errand before it gets dark I have no hope of finding parking on my street. It's super annoying, especially when it's nice out on the weekend and people drive to the area to go to restaurants and walk around. It's bad enough that I really try to avoid going anywhere during the day by car (i.e. to the grocery store) unless absolutely necessary. I'm not going to say that replacing a parking lot with affordable housing isn't good policy, but I can understand the frustration.

I live in an area where it’s often hard to find a spot too, but I don’t see or hear about people parking across a driveway for half a day. Does that happen where you are?

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

half cocaine posted:

We can't build sensible state housing projects because it's too expensive so maybe pass laws that depress the value of land?

I can see all the densitynistas thought bubbles flashing "but not like that!".

We literally tried this already with the speculation tax, foreign buyer tax and extra School Tax on properties over $3M, and property values are still spiking.

I dunno what laws would depress the value of land. Increased property taxes or land value taxes I suppose.

Sure let's go for it, but IMO that will be even politically more difficult to implement than public housing or even simply taller buildings.

I don't think it's actually the cost of state housing projects that is holding them back from being developed but rather the deep set liberal consensus that housing is simply not something that the government should be actively engaged in building and rather it is the private sector that should be building housing (except perhaps low income and supportive social housing).

The Fed Liberals certainly aren't interested and neither the BC NDP nor former Fed NDP Vancouver Mayor Kennedy Stewart seem to be pushing for it. Perhaps Stewart would be interested in that sort of thing, but he doesn't at all have the votes at council any way.

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE APARTHEID ACADEMIC

It's important that institutions never take a stance like "genocide is bad". Now get out there and crack some of my students' skulls.

Subjunctive posted:

I live in an area where it’s often hard to find a spot too, but I don’t see or hear about people parking across a driveway for half a day. Does that happen where you are?

There are very few driveways on my street (most parking is in a laneway). But I do know one neighbor regularly has this problem, although it's partly because the driveway is difficult to notice.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Sassafras posted:

If one adjusted for inflation, would it truly be that much more expensive to ship the homeless to a new moon colony than it was to Australia?

Wasn't Elon's plan to make Mars a debtor's prison? Like they'll send you there and then you work off the cost of the trip?

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Elon only wants to go to Mars because there's no labour laws there at all.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Slotducks posted:

Elon only wants to go to Mars because there's no labour laws there at all.

He would love to be declared king so he can relive his apartheid fantasies.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Femtosecond posted:

We literally tried this already with the speculation tax, foreign buyer tax and extra School Tax on properties over $3M, and property values are still spiking.

I dunno what laws would depress the value of land. Increased property taxes or land value taxes I suppose.

Sure let's go for it, but IMO that will be even politically more difficult to implement than public housing or even simply taller buildings.

I don't think it's actually the cost of state housing projects that is holding them back from being developed but rather the deep set liberal consensus that housing is simply not something that the government should be actively engaged in building and rather it is the private sector that should be building housing (except perhaps low income and supportive social housing).

The Fed Liberals certainly aren't interested and neither the BC NDP nor former Fed NDP Vancouver Mayor Kennedy Stewart seem to be pushing for it. Perhaps Stewart would be interested in that sort of thing, but he doesn't at all have the votes at council any way.

Tighter enforcement of the principal residence exemption?

Removal of the principle residence exemption?

More money to the CRA for audits of owners of multiple investment properties?

Keep going with stuff like the Land Owner Transparency Registry?

But yeah, the Vienna model worked because making rental housing unprofitable for landlords crashed the property market. I don't think Vienna in the 1920s had the level of monetisation of housing we have.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

McGavin posted:

Wasn't Elon's plan to make Mars a debtor's prison? Like they'll send you there and then you work off the cost of the trip?

He was pretty explicit that he wants to bring back indentured servitude.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Neoliberal with an investment strategy in real estate thinks that implementing land value taxes are A Bad Idea. Scoop on the 6 pm news.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Lead out in cuffs posted:

He was pretty explicit that he wants to bring back indentured servitude.

Just remember the man is described as "on the spectrum", by his friends and certain family members. So combine that with his self reports of being bullied in school and you get someone who is going to be a borderline and/or overt authoritarian.

Please don't think I'm attacking autism here. I am not. I just want some context to his at times abhorrent behavior or statements.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

https://www.ahoreality.org/

But this will never work because those of us fully invested in massive capital gains er um uh

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

As a person who does benefit from the 50% capital gains thing I would unironically 100% be in support of including all of it on my income if it meant more money to less fortunate people. But that will never happen because guess how our politicians make their money?

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Tighter enforcement of the principal residence exemption?

Removal of the principle residence exemption?

More money to the CRA for audits of owners of multiple investment properties?

Keep going with stuff like the Land Owner Transparency Registry?

But yeah, the Vienna model worked because making rental housing unprofitable for landlords crashed the property market. I don't think Vienna in the 1920s had the level of monetisation of housing we have.

The government could also make all kinds of rules about downpayment requirements that would quickly blow the gently caress out of people leveraging multiple investment properties. There's all kinds of stuff we could do. It's just not going to happen.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

RBC posted:

uh geez didn't you read the post? We can't help homeless people because cars might be blocking a driveway, for some reason.

Again, if you would read the words that others are posting, you would know that the city doesn't bother removing illegally parked cars in anything resembling a timely fashion, causing kids to miss daycare or school and adults to miss work. The lack of empathy for things you haven't personally experienced is truly the distilled essence of Republicanism, so thanks for that.

qhat posted:

"I can't find somewhere to park my car" is probably the most dickhead reason to deny poor people a home.

It's more "I already have somewhere to park my car, but the city is about to make it more attractive for people to block me in, and has a proven track record of doing very little about the problem it's about to create."

If the city actually did anything meaningful about illegally parked cars, there wouldn't be anything to complain about, but its general approach seems to be the same as for illegally dumped garbage: look at the problem very sternly and wish for someone else to make it go away.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

I support progressive policies but they'll never happen so I don't actually support them in fact until the plebs start crucifying us in their uprising.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
"lack of empathy for people having their driveways blocked"

LMFAO.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

"it's the essence of republicanism"

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Boy this is about as exciting as tagesschau's previous THE LAWWWWWWWW ALLOWS ME TO TRAVEL AND NOTHING CAN STOP MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.
Ah, yes, sticking it to the rich by (checks notes) making people who have to work for a living late to their jobs.

tagesschau fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Mar 3, 2021

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Anything its a big enough problem for social development initiatives if you just make it up in your mind.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

linoleum floors posted:

The government could also make all kinds of rules about downpayment requirements that would quickly blow the gently caress out of people leveraging multiple investment properties. There's all kinds of stuff we could do. It's just not going to happen.

I vaguely heard from people that work with mortgage brokers that lenders don't approve of chaining helocs into new downpayments anymore so maybe that loophole is closed, or maybe it's just the major banks. I dunno I don't have first hand experience.

Feds already brought in the mortgage stress check which was a good move.

But yeah to lower land values we'd be looking at:
Feds:
1. Bring in some sort of limit to the principle exemption
2. Get rid of the 50% capital gains exemption for secondary properties.

Municipality/Province
3. Increase Property taxes
4. Implement some land value tax LVT.

I say go ahead do all of them. We somehow can't build enough housing for the homeless. Let's add a LVT and keep cranking that and property taxes until we have enough money to house all the homeless.

I think there's been a consensus in this thread for years that the core solution to the housing crisis is to raise taxes and build public housing.

Unfortunately there's zero political traction on anything like this right now.

In Vancouver the only municipal party that put forward the notion of raising property taxes to build social housing was COPE and they only elected one councillor. They only even came close to electing two.

One City supported a LVT and elected one councilor. City staff is investigating it. It's probably not going anywhere.

Fed Liberals are never gonna do anything on capital gains taxes.

The BC NDP doesn't seem to have any new policies for housing at all.

edit: spelling

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Mar 3, 2021

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

:mad: Jean Swanson noted neoliberal nimby :mad:

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

You know there’s this wonderful invention called public transport and

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005
Rates rise tomorrow at the big banks and others.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
I'm not a civil engineer, but couldn't they add public underground parking on this new building and voila problem solved? Community still has their parking and people can get some homes.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

If real estate really is a speculation bubble then maybe all we need is a populous single issue party to arise in the polls with the express mission to crush housing values to trigger the panic sell off.

I don’t even think they would need to have a realistic plan on how. Just say they’re going to tax every property that isn’t your principal residence at 100% or something scary sounding and pass some red tape laws that will delay investment property purchases to some unreasonably long time and watch the fun happen. Can the government compel the bank of Canada to put interest rates at 20%?

They don’t even need to win. Just got to look like they might win would be all it took.

Anyway. Thanks for listening to my fantasy.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

The government can't control interest rates. But they can adjust minimum downpayments easily.

In New Zealand, theyve had a similar bubble rise, and the government introduced a law requiring 40% downpayments for investment properties, 20% for principal residences.

And their prices are much less bubbly than ours are.

The main issue here is this has been allowed to runaway for too long. Too many people are involved and it's gotten too big. These would be the type of things you would put in place before things get outrageous, not afterwards. Causing the housing market to tank would absolutely destroy the entire Canadian economy at this point, it would not just affect homeowners. Everyone would be hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

The best way to pop the housing bubble would be to get the federal NDP elected. They wouldn’t even need to propose any bubble popping policies; capital would just pay for a deluge of scary op-eds and collude in various ways to destabilize the market. Cons/Libs would love to be able to pin the housing market collapse on the NDP and they would mention it for decades to come like how we somehow still hear about Rae Days in Ontario.