Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Doctor Butts posted:

WHAT The gently caress did anyone else notice that they changed the photo in the last 10 minutes? The first one was some drugged-out look of him, now it's him being stern.

The original photo is still at the top of the article. The new one isn't even in the CNN article that is linked. Not sure where that came from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Doctor Butts posted:

WHAT The gently caress did anyone else notice that they changed the photo in the last 10 minutes? The first one was some drugged-out look of him, now it's him being stern.

It's still the same on the actual article, this is just some Twitter thumbnail thing pulling a different image on the page.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The original photo is still at the top of the article. The new one isn't even in the CNN article that is linked. Not sure where that came from.

Bottom Liner posted:

It's still the same on the actual article, this is just some Twitter thumbnail thing pulling a different image on the page.

Thank You!

Posting for posterity (though I can't get a cached version to show the old tweet image).

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

What?

Intent and context is entirely appropriate. You shouldn't be happy over Neera not getting the position because the only reason she lost it was because Republicans played games with her "online persona".

I don't think we should make or break politicians by their late night social media posts. Do you?

What games did they play, and how was her online persona different from Tanden irl?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

What kind of legislation should we be passing to fix these issues?

Can you mandate that Amazon sell certain books and that potatoes must declare their gender? Or would those be violations of the 1st and 14th amendments?

https://twitter.com/RepGregSteube/status/1366854237662162949

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Paracaidas posted:

I didn't miss that! The shutdown at thinkprogress is one of many things encompassed by "there are plenty of great reasons to dislike Neera." Which is also an extraordinarily strange way to defend her and admonish those who have genuine reason for disliking her. You've decided that the rest of the post is irrelevant which, again, makes it odd to jump in to a post addressing it.

For some unfathomable reason, you've decided that what I'm actually posting is some pretext for my actual desire... which is to admonish posters and defend Neera (by saying zero good things about her and affirming there are plenty of great reasons to dislike her)?

So your post is partly satire, then? Because this post claiming you're not admonishing people for thinking this is funny and good is at odds with that first post otherwise. I am not ignoring the rest of your post, but I am perplexed at your insistence that it is bad to find it funny that she was brought down by tweets and the implication that her tweets are not a genuine reason (yes, they are part of the genuine reasons I referred to) to dislike her. Not to mention her genuinely awful ideas on policy. Otherwise, what is all that bemoaning of double standards about? Sorry, but given that tone you took, I can't help but think you don't think there are good reasons to kick Neera to the curb.

As I said, it ultimately doesn't matter why she went down because she was genuinely unpleasant and has awful ideas.

Judakel fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 3, 2021

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Can you mandate that Amazon sell certain books and that potatoes must declare their gender? Or would those be violations of the 1st and 14th amendments?

Obviously we must pass a law mandating that plastic potato toys must be molded with realistic genitals

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

haveblue posted:

Obviously we must pass a law mandating that plastic potato toys must be molded with realistic genitals

Steve Scalise leans forward, intrigued

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

The arms race among Republican Governors to lift all mask mandates and social distancing requirements is on now that Texas has kicked it off.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1366941405910867969

Within a month, I'm betting we have laws banning private businesses from requiring masks

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Devor posted:

Within a month, I'm betting we have laws banning private businesses from requiring masks

Georgia almost did that in April 2020 when they prevented local governments from requiring masks.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

So now public and private corporations can both have ridiculous employments standards! :rolleyes:

"ridiculous standards" like not unionbusting & shielding sex-harassment victims at your workplace. :rolleyes:

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

This sounds supportive of Amazon as a business, I thought Republicans had cancelled Bezos?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

So now public and private corporations can both have ridiculous employments standards! :rolleyes:

to reiterate my point, why are you going to the bat so hard for an abuser?

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Abbot is a loon

Anias fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 3, 2021

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

The Obama story is apparently when Obama went to the Republican Congressional Retreat and took questions from Republican Congressman and dunked on them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5vOMIN673A

I can't fathom how Boehner would expect anyone to feel sympathy for him and think less of Obama for this incident.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Judakel posted:

So your post is partly satire, then? Because this post claiming you're not admonishing people for thinking this is funny and good is at odds with that first post otherwise. I am not ignoring the rest of your post, but I am perplexed at your insistence that it is bad to find it funny that she was brought down by tweets and the implication that her tweets are not a good reason to dislike her. Not to mention her genuinely awful ideas. Otherwise, what is all that bemoaning of double standards about? Sorry, but given that tone you took, I can't help but think you don't think there are good reasons to kick Neera to the curb.

As I said, it ultimately doesn't matter why she went down because she was genuinely unpleasant and has awful ideas.
:shrug: You seem convinced that your interpretation of my pretextual, satirical motives and intent is more applicable than the repeated plain text of my posts so have fun loving that strawman?

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Reopening is a play to win back hearts and minds.
Same as it ever was. If you're unable or unwilling to stop the virus, there is a school of thought that you are best off pretending that it's gone because your ghoulish constituents and donors are more irritated by the disruption than by the deaths of others.

Speaking of counterproductive bullshit that doesn't solve the actual problem:
https://mobile.twitter.com/danielschuman/status/1366961221661061121
https://mobile.twitter.com/danielschuman/status/1366963210637746178
(Schuman is at Demand Progress, a tank/lobbying org that has generally been positive, in my limited experience)

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Paracaidas posted:

:shrug: You seem convinced that your interpretation of my pretextual, satirical motives and intent is more applicable than the repeated plain text of my posts so have fun loving that strawman?

Well, me crediting you with satirical motives and/or malicious defense of Neera is charitable at the end of the day. The text of your post is scolding someone who said they disliked Neera for being a union buster/for her tweets and thought it was funny that her tweets brought her nomination down, to which you replied that it was actually not funny and seemed to imply that her tweets shouldn't be a reason to be glad her nomination was brought down, either. Then you defend it by saying you didn't say it was bad to dislike her tweets enough to be glad her nomination was brought down by them.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

We've all stopped a random black guy on the street of D.C. and assumed he was Cory Booker.

Happens to everyone.

quote:

Correction and apology: Friday 26 February 2021

In our Newshour radio programme on Friday, a man claiming to be Senator Cory Booker was interviewed in what appears to be a deliberate hoax. We have apologised to Senator Booker and are looking into what went wrong to make sure it doesn't happen again. The interview only aired once at 2000 GMT on Newshour on Friday 26 February and has not appeared elsewhere.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/5BLDCC5j1wV4h2JF1WnDpct/correction-and-apology-friday-26-february-2021

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TulliusCicero posted:

Lmao this is an excellent plan yes :shepicide:

Yeah I really don't buy the narrative McConnell is some evil genius anymore
McConnell is not an evil genius. As many people have accurately posted here, it's more that he knows one trick, but he can get a whole lotta mileage out of that one trick when he has a ton of power. When he's not the one in power, though? It's bluffing, hail maries (or whatever the equivalent of a person who believes in nothing and thinks about nothing but getting more power for himself might be) and maybe boomering the gently caress out. Or silent-gen'ing the gently caress out.

Please start putting age limits on this "public office holding" poo poo, people. Holy gently caress.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 3, 2021

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Positive news? Positive news!
https://mobile.twitter.com/Taniel/status/1366967117577388034
https://mobile.twitter.com/Taniel/status/1366970739514040320

This comes after Krewson narrowly won the primary in 2017 over Tishaura Jones by consolidating the sorts of Dem primary voters in St Louis who are swayed (positively) by police endorsements while Jones absolutely brutalized the Dispatch and other establishment tentpoles. After the loss, Jones called out the black men in the race for staying in and splitting the vote without having a chance at victory.

Krewson's choice not to run for reelection definitely had nothing to do with the change to a jungle primary that would have left her unable to repeat her 2017 strategy, of course.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It is a bit too perfect that this catchphrase used by Democrats to hit to their left on Twitter ended up being disproven by a hit from the right.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sodomy Hussein posted:

It is a bit too perfect that this catchphrase used by Democrats to hit to their left on Twitter ended up being disproven by a hit from the right.

Even when reality gets one right, it do so for the absolutely numb ball dog poo poo stupidest possible reason.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Paracaidas posted:

Positive news? Positive news!
https://mobile.twitter.com/Taniel/status/1366967117577388034
https://mobile.twitter.com/Taniel/status/1366970739514040320

This comes after Krewson narrowly won the primary in 2017 over Tishaura Jones by consolidating the sorts of Dem primary voters in St Louis who are swayed (positively) by police endorsements while Jones absolutely brutalized the Dispatch and other establishment tentpoles. After the loss, Jones called out the black men in the race for staying in and splitting the vote without having a chance at victory.

Krewson's choice not to run for reelection definitely had nothing to do with the change to a jungle primary that would have left her unable to repeat her 2017 strategy, of course.
Now if only we could flood Missouri with Californians and Coloradans eager to face off fascists and inflate St Louis metro into neo-Fairfax. :allears:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

What is happening here is no absolutely no different than Doom being banned in 90s or Republicans Impeaching Clinton over a blowjob
iunno how to tell you this but the most powerful man in the free world having sex with an intern thats half his age is suspect at best and sexual assault at worse

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Endorph posted:

iunno how to tell you this but the most powerful man in the free world having sex with an intern thats half his age is suspect at best and sexual assault at worse

Eh, Monica herself said that she initiated it first and that she didn't like to be infantilized in the narrative. And despite it being gross, it feels wrong to remove the agency of a woman who was closer to 30 than 20 and has expressly said that she hates that she is disproportionately portrayed as more shameful and with less agency than Clinton in the popular culture.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Clinton hosed up more than anything with the denial of sexual relations leading to a DNA test immediately kicking his rear end. That and giving the christian right all the ammo they needed.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

My opinion is: if the relief bill clears as-is, or close too it, and we indeed reach covid-ending vaccination levels by the summer, the Dems will expand their majorities in '22.

https://twitter.com/ericawerner/status/1366838943560433669

If that stuff happens and they lose seats in the midterm, then I will officially have no idea what affects election outcomes.

Propaganda and voter suppression.

A big flaming stink posted:

the question becomes "why are you going to the bat so hard for someone that publically outed a sexual harassment victim?"

the position of the people celebrating this is roughly "regardless of the means, the fact that an abuser was denied a position of power is a Good Thing" and i utterly fail to see what is objectionable about that argument.

the fact that you are objecting to it makes me wonder if you don't see her abusive behavior as that big of a deal

They don't. They've said worse about sexual assault victims before. So have most of the other people going to bat for Tanden actually. It's a really gross pattern of behavior.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Eh, Monica herself said that she initiated it first and that she didn't like to be infantilized in the narrative. And despite it being gross, it feels wrong to remove the agency of a woman who was closer to 30 than 20 and has expressly said that she hates that she is disproportionately portrayed as more shameful and with less agency than Clinton in the popular culture.

I think you're ignoring the very, very clear power differential in your analysis here.:stare:

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

a woman who was closer to 30 than 20

She was 22 when the affair started.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Grouchio posted:

Clinton hosed up more than anything with the denial of sexual relations leading to a DNA test immediately kicking his rear end. That and giving the christian right all the ammo they needed.

The whole thing was a literal example of a "the coverup is worse than the crime" scenario. Monica also talked to her friend about it and her friend started recording their phone calls and sent them to Ken Starr. Monica lied on her affidavit and tried to get her friend to lie too.

Clinton got multiple people to lie to cover up for him and tried to walk that somewhat impressive legal line of "I did not have sexual relations with that woman" because sexual relations was defined as penetrative sex.

All the perjury and coverup to try and hide something that wasn't illegal. And he ended up getting impeached for the perjury.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Majorian posted:

I think you're ignoring the very, very clear power differential in your analysis here.:stare:

Nah, that's why I said it was gross.

It just also feels wrong to call Monica a sexual assault victim when she expressly said that she hates people shaming her and implying that she was helpless and a victim in the relationship.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Grouchio posted:

I saw a rerun of the 1993 episode of SNL with Harvey Keitel and Madonna and the opening sketch was Clinton’s inauguration with Phil Hartman as Clinton, and he was eyeballing Madonna the whole skit. Weekend Update also had Kevin Nealon doing the Mr Subliminal bit about Clinton being a serial horndog. The Christian Right had plenty of ammo before the whole Lewinski thing. It’s like it was a widely known thing that even my 10 year old brain knew when he was elected.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

I saw a rerun of the 1993 episode of SNL with Harvey Keitel and Madonna and the opening sketch was Clinton’s inauguration with Phil Hartman as Clinton, and he was eyeballing Madonna the whole skit. Weekend Update also had Kevin Nealon doing the Mr Subliminal bit about Clinton being a serial horndog. The Christian Right had plenty of ammo before the whole Lewinski thing. It’s like it was a widely known thing that even my 10 year old brain knew when he was elected.

Clinton's entire persona from 1991 to 1999 in pop culture was:

- Horny politician
- Saxophone
- McDonalds

Lewinski was the first thing the Christian Right had that was solid. That was why it was more important to them than Paula Jones or the other rumors he cheated on Hillary.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Was it Paula Jones that was the big thing then? Pretty sure he had a scandal about an affair with a woman going into his first presidential election.

I did some vague research about this years ago. I feel like there was a huge tabloid expose about an affair with some woman that was happening even during his first presidential campaign.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

NikkolasKing posted:

Was it Paula Jones that was the big thing then? Pretty sure he had a scandal about an affair with a woman going into his first presidential election.

I did some vague research about this years ago. I feel like there was a huge tabloid expose about an affair with some woman that was happening even during his first presidential campaign.

Paula Jones was the one claimed that an Arkansas state trooper brought her to Clinton's sex dungeon and that he exposed himself, but they never did anything sexual. Her lawsuit was dismissed due to lack of evidence.

The OTHER tabloid exposure at the time was Gennifer Flowers, who both she and Clinton admitted that they had sex. This was before he was President.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

She was 22-23. FOH with your revisionism.

The reason she hates the way she was portrayed was bc self-identified "feminists" and "progressives" slut-shamed & blamed her at the time (and beyond, as you seem to).

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
The problem with Clinton is that the sheer number of extramarital affairs and sexual harassment/assault allegations makes it hard to keep the timeline straight. Not to mention all of his post-presidency time spent hanging out with Jeffery Epstein. Sucks that this guy is still a face of the party in 2020!

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The whole thing was a literal example of a "the coverup is worse than the crime" scenario. Monica also talked to her friend about it and her friend started recording their phone calls and sent them to Ken Starr. Monica lied on her affidavit and tried to get her friend to lie too.

Clinton got multiple people to lie to cover up for him and tried to walk that somewhat impressive legal line of "I did not have sexual relations with that woman" because sexual relations was defined as penetrative sex.

All the perjury and coverup to try and hide something that wasn't illegal. And he ended up getting impeached for the perjury.

Thanks, you've given me a stroke with this take.

Please post it in the Tara Reade thread, so you can deservedly be torn to shreds.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Lester Shy posted:

The problem with Clinton is that the sheer number of extramarital affairs and sexual harassment/assault allegations makes it hard to keep the timeline straight. Not to mention all of his post-presidency time spent hanging out with Jeffery Epstein. Sucks that this guy is still a face of the party in 2020!

Good thing there is an entire Wikipedia page on just this subject!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Clinton_sexual_assault_and_misconduct_allegations

Just remember: 5 total accusations - 2 definitely true - 1 definitely false - 2 not enough evidence.

All before he was President.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

What is happening here is no absolutely no different than Doom being banned in 90s or Republicans Impeaching Clinton over a blowjob. They're making mountains out of molehills.

I'll agree, she's pretty blunt on twitter, posts a lot but so what? Maybe she should take a break, we all could sometimes but I haven't seen anything that screams she shouldn't hold a job with significant responsibility.

Clinton should have been convicted. He absolutely abused his power and obstructed justice in ways that should have been disqualifying for office, even if you disagree that the perjury article should be disqualifying. You don't even have to make judgement on the actual affair, though that was incredibly unethical given the power difference and their professional relationship.

Grouchio posted:

I think the biggest gently caress-up was leaning on Lewinksy to lie under oath about the affair. That was a clear-cut abuse of office. Of course he skated in the end...

Stickman fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Mar 3, 2021