Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Ugh. I've never hit anyone in anger before. But......

:trumppop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

El Spamo posted:

Did anyone ever answer that question about why Ripley was promising to be home by her daughter's 11th birthday despite having to spend apparent years in a cryo tube?

The answer is a really clever bit of storytelling about how FTL works in the aliens universe. Someone was thinking about time dilation, which is when you travel close to c and time tends to slow down for you from the perspective of someone going slow. Or rather, if you're near light speed and you look outside everything will look like it's going really fast.
So some smarty pants writer thought that well, if time dilates for you if you're really close but less than c, then why not that time contracts for you if you're really close but faster than c. Write up some techno-babble about tachyon shunts popping a ship over to the opposite side of the light speed barrier and voila. You have to chill in a cryo tube for even a relatively short trip because even though it's only a month or three to arrive at your destination from the perspective of the planet-dwellers, for those on the ship it's a trip of years. I think the Nostromo travels at something like .2 light-years a day or something like that and it was a slow pig of a ship while towing.

I forget if the further you get from light speed on the FTL side of things the time contraction gets less or more severe, but that's fussy details. The key point that makes the really awesome plot device of having to sleep away an interstellar journey is that <1c time dilates, >1c time contracts.

According to the Alien RPG (which rules, by the way) staying awake during FTL also fucks you up to the point where after a couple days you’re either dead or insane.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Makes sense, Traveller jump space rots your brain so the shutters close for the duration of the FTL trip.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
If a predator and an alien make a predalien does a facehugger that mates with an alien make and aliealien?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Sure thing, here’s an article about them: https://www.avpgalaxy.net/2020/12/07/lanard-toys-taking-on-predator-new-alien-figures-also-on-the-way/

El Spamo posted:

Did anyone ever answer that question about why Ripley was promising to be home by her daughter's 11th birthday despite having to spend apparent years in a cryo tube?

The answer is a really clever bit of storytelling about how FTL works in the aliens universe. Someone was thinking about time dilation, which is when you travel close to c and time tends to slow down for you from the perspective of someone going slow. Or rather, if you're near light speed and you look outside everything will look like it's going really fast.
So some smarty pants writer thought that well, if time dilates for you if you're really close but less than c, then why not that time contracts for you if you're really close but faster than c. Write up some techno-babble about tachyon shunts popping a ship over to the opposite side of the light speed barrier and voila. You have to chill in a cryo tube for even a relatively short trip because even though it's only a month or three to arrive at your destination from the perspective of the planet-dwellers, for those on the ship it's a trip of years. I think the Nostromo travels at something like .2 light-years a day or something like that and it was a slow pig of a ship while towing.

I forget if the further you get from light speed on the FTL side of things the time contraction gets less or more severe, but that's fussy details. The key point that makes the really awesome plot device of having to sleep away an interstellar journey is that <1c time dilates, >1c time contracts.

Well the original journey from Thedus (the Nostromo’s departure point) to earth was supposed to take 10 months (Earth relative time), getting a Ripley home in time for her daughter’s birthday. She wasn’t supposed to spend 57 years drifting.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
While it started at 8:21 PST, Aliens is on Windows Movie Housewatchw.me right now.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I have never seen Aliens (the movie)

OK, that's 3 Hail Mary's, 2 Our Fathers, and a viewing of all Alien films, starting with the original classic. All known editions, if and where available.

May our Lord and God, Ellen Ripley, through the grace and mercies of her love for humankind, forgive you all your transgressions. And I, an unworthy priest, by her power given me, forgive and absolve you from all your sins, in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

Now go in peace.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Crusty Nutsack posted:

You shouldn't be a mod.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Imagine making it to 14 and your dad not showing you Aliens yet, smh

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Who What Now posted:

If a predator and an alien make a predalien does a facehugger that mates with an alien make and aliealien?
Can't face hugger and alien they've got those little double mouth things in the way.

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

In how many parsecs can the Nostromo do the Kessel run?

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
About three Nebraskas

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Splicer posted:

Can't face hugger and alien they've got those little double mouth things in the way.

What if the ovipositor goes down the li'l mouth hole? Would you get a teeny tiny alien?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Coop pve game coming in summer:

https://youtu.be/D1GRp19A89A

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Coop pve game coming in summer:

https://youtu.be/D1GRp19A89A

Oh poo poo that looks amazing. We gotta get another goon squad going with that.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

This looks like it is extremely my jam.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Oh poo poo that looks amazing. We gotta get another goon squad going with that.

:yeah:

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
So I watched Alien Covenant for the first time and it was... pretty okay and veering towards good even? The last 30 minutes were pretty poo poo (the ending notwithstanding) but otherwise I was pleasantly surprised.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I didn't mind it. I like, to some extent, almost all movies I watch. There are a few terrible ones (looking at you Rob Zombie) but I just love movies and tend to give them a higher rating than most people. No idea why. I hate when people get super offended by movies, most of the time, the Star Wars prequels are justified.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'm down for some Left4Aliens

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Covenant isn't terrible but it suffered from being a hacked up script I think. A lot appeared to have been cut that would have got it a lot more praise even if done badly, but instead they decided to streamline things. The shotgun slip and the flute fingering had unintentional laughs all round when I saw it in IMAX. I have it on 4K disc but haven't watched yet.

I got the Blu Ray Anthology set and am going to watch the Assembly Cut of Alien 3 for the first time, hope it is as rad as everyone says!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I didn't mind it. I like, to some extent, almost all movies I watch. There are a few terrible ones (looking at you Rob Zombie) but I just love movies and tend to give them a higher rating than most people. No idea why. I hate when people get super offended by movies, most of the time, the Star Wars prequels are justified.

Discourse in this current age is so broken, that everything is either a shining golden god masterpiece or the shittiest poo poo poo poo shitfuck poo poo that ever shat and an unwarranted assault on my childhood and a personal insult to them, and any flaw, real or perceived is magnified to warrant, in their pea-sized minds, a shrieking chorus of "PLOT HOLE" (obviously, they have no idea what the gently caress this term even means).

Add to that the amplification of the voices of people who are terrified of black people/women/lgbtq, etc./whatever else/a combination of at least two of those, and throw that into a mixture with the above, brewing in a pot in the shape of a pathetic manbaby who's entire identity and sense of self-worth is built around their fandom, and that's how we get to where we are.

Honestly, people who are fans of poo poo should be encouraged to not bother checking for traffic when they cross the road.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Vagabundo posted:

Discourse in this current age is so broken, that everything is either a shining golden god masterpiece or the shittiest poo poo poo poo shitfuck poo poo that ever shat and an unwarranted assault on my childhood and a personal insult to them, and any flaw, real or perceived is magnified to warrant, in their pea-sized minds, a shrieking chorus of "PLOT HOLE" (obviously, they have no idea what the gently caress this term even means).

Add to that the amplification of the voices of people who are terrified of black people/women/lgbtq, etc./whatever else/a combination of at least two of those, and throw that into a mixture with the above, brewing in a pot in the shape of a pathetic manbaby who's entire identity and sense of self-worth is built around their fandom, and that's how we get to where we are.

Honestly, people who are fans of poo poo should be encouraged to not bother checking for traffic when they cross the road.

This is a Weyland-Yutani drift-thru. Lunch starts in 5, and the next breakfast is in 57 years. Can you hurry it up, please?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
There are only 2 Alien movies ever made and I won't hear another word about it.

And two Terminator movies.

That's it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

BiggerBoat posted:

That's it.

And Two Predator movies

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I've come to like Alien 3 after watching The Assembly Cut. But of course it doesn't even compare. I also enjoyed Predators. I just liked the whole idea of putting Earth's most dangerous people on a planet and hunting them.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Vagabundo posted:

i think what you mean is: destroy twitter

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I had a dream that I watched Aliens (the movie), so I figured I would watch it today. Turns out I actually did watch Aliens (the movie) yesterday. Do drugs, kids!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Vagabundo posted:

Covenant committed several mortal prequel sins, the biggest being it explained a core mystery of the original in an extremely unsatisfying way. Prometheus was a terribly executed film but "The Alien aliens are one of many unintended results of a precursor species' biological weapons program" would have been an acceptable origin. Covenant begins with a scarier xenomorph (a potentially airborne infection that makes them grow out of wherever you're hit) and reveals the Alien xenomorph to be a downgraded version created by a sad, comical android, and the overly complex life cycle is 100% deliberate. Which is dumb as poo poo. It would have worked fine as a not alien film about a sad android killing a bunch of people for his science experiments but if you slot it into your alien canon it recontextualises the alien into something less good.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I've taken to watching reaction videos of people watching Alien and Aliens for the first time. It's a lot of fun watching them hit the jump scares and generally get more and more creeped out.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Biplane posted:

I had a dream that I watched Aliens (the movie), so I figured I would watch it today. Turns out I actually did watch Aliens (the movie) yesterday. Do drugs, kids!

:thumbsup: Hell yeah dude!

I watched Robocop last night and it was on TV today which is rare! I felt special.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
Re: Alien Covenenat. Its a good Prometheus sequel with an awful last stretch. If they skipped the second xeno altogether and just cut straight to the David reveal, that'd have been a fine movie.

I liked the David and Walter interactions. They were my favorite part of the movie.

commielingus
Jan 23, 2021

by Athanatos

BiggerBoat posted:

That's it.

Alien no.

Terminator yes.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Dark Fate is way better than Rise of the Machines, Salivation or Jenny's Sis.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Crusty Nutsack posted:

TURN YOUR MONITOR OFF

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

Dark Fate is way better than Rise of the Machines, Salivation or Jenny's Sis.

The sequence of the terminator ripping through those ICE agents should’ve went on longer.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Mutant Headcrab posted:

Re: Alien Covenenat. Its a good Prometheus sequel with an awful last stretch. If they skipped the second xeno altogether and just cut straight to the David reveal, that'd have been a fine movie.

I liked the David and Walter interactions. They were my favorite part of the movie.

Yeah, that final xeno sequence felt really tacked on.

I also agree that the Covenant was at its best during its quiet moments, and I wish they had used the city's atmosphere more. There was just something in the desolation of it all that would've made for a great melancholic and slow burning scifi movie about David's obsession and the conflict between him and Walter.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Ridley Scott forgot how to make a coherent movie.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Ridley realized that requiring stuff like cohesion is only holding movies back.

E: Covenant sucked, but not because the story was confusing or disjointed or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Ridley realized that requiring stuff like cohesion is only holding movies back.

E: Covenant sucked, but not because the story was confusing or disjointed or whatever

No that is actually why it sucked.