Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Even though blobs are resistant to pierce you can still kill them in a few arrows from safety and avoid the risk of missing a 1 shot with a mace and getting poisoned for 20 seconds.

Honestly I found just using the bow with a unlimited supply of wooden arrows to take care of every enemy you regularly get swarmed with in the game, no reason to waste resources on anything above wooden unless you want to be fancy with fire arrows or you are reaching endgame and want to make something stronger for the last few encounters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Coasted on wooden arrows for a while, flint arrows are a good way to use up your stock once it becomes quickly irrelevant, obsidian arrows are easy to make once you hit mountain. Lol if I'm spending precious metal on arrows tho

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Even though blobs are resistant to pierce you can still kill them in a few arrows from safety and avoid the risk of missing a 1 shot with a mace and getting poisoned for 20 seconds.

Honestly I found just using the bow with a unlimited supply of wooden arrows to take care of every enemy you regularly get swarmed with in the game, no reason to waste resources on anything above wooden unless you want to be fancy with fire arrows or you are reaching endgame and want to make something stronger for the last few encounters.

Poison potions are cheap enough I just chug one and start blasting

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The ease of dealing with blobs isn't the point, the point is the first time that poison hits you is a pants making GBS threads moment and is a wakeup call that tactics need to be adjusted and I seriously doubt anyone got through the swamps without getting hit at least once. They do prepare you for Bonemass, maybe you don't get handheld for the fight as some people would prefer but the hints are definitely there.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
the material and enemy progression difficulty could definitely stand to be smoothed out. it's not 'awful' but its also not 'great.' early access folks

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean the theme of the swamps is avoiding poo poo, you're not supposed to fight the leeches either. Just made sense to me that the blobs were also to be avoided, and I already got poisoned by the shamans so I just figured that was a thing the game was going to do sometimes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You do want to fight the leeches for those sweet blood bags.

But you do it on your own terms, don't be jumping in after them because that's just silly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do the blood bags do anything at iron level? I think the only thing I noticed them being for was red banners.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

OwlFancier posted:

Do the blood bags do anything at iron level? I think the only thing I noticed them being for was red banners.

They're used for plains-tier foods and the medium healing mead.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Azhais posted:

The stone bench takes 2 iron I think. You can technically find iron underground in the swamps but its pretty rare

Oozers(orange blobs) can drop scrap iron, they're also pretty rare though.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Schwack posted:

Did you do boss 5 after the buff? Even with fully maxed padded armor, he's basically impossible for a solo player to melee. He turns too fast with his mouth laser, the area denial AOE ticks for a crazy amount even with the mead and the obvious death from above requires constant movement.

I think with even one more person it would be less of a frustrating experience. Having someone to come whack him while he's mouth lasering or casting the death from above would've made the fight a lot simpler. As it is, there are very few ways to counter his attacks as a solo player. I'm sure they'll get around to tuning it down the road.

I believe we did, it was 4-5 days ago.

With both of us up in his face he tended to use his other attacks instead of the mouth laser which seems more like a range-punish like the elder's vine attack, predominantly using his other two attacks. I can't comment on the AoE tick because, with both 80/80 foods and fish wraps it wasn't enough to affect our hp totals. Halfway through the fight we just started attacking and used health pots if we got below half and that was more than enough.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

This is high art when placed beside your other posts in this thread.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

"No way to prevent dying" claims local viking who never used a health potion.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Dear new players, please make health potions as quickly as possible and pop them the moment you encounter anything upsetting or unsual. They are so, so loving good. I have been saved from so many fuckups ranging from landing in the water 10 feet from my boat with empty stamina to forgetting to take poison mead or eat before fighting an ooze. It is a free extra life every 2 minutes there is no reason not to chug them!

Woden
May 6, 2006

Schwack posted:

Did you do boss 5 after the buff? Even with fully maxed padded armor, he's basically impossible for a solo player to melee. He turns too fast with his mouth laser, the area denial AOE ticks for a crazy amount even with the mead and the obvious death from above requires constant movement.

I think with even one more person it would be less of a frustrating experience. Having someone to come whack him while he's mouth lasering or casting the death from above would've made the fight a lot simpler. As it is, there are very few ways to counter his attacks as a solo player. I'm sure they'll get around to tuning it down the road.

It takes a while but it's doable solo. I spent most of the fight trying to get behind or beside him for hits since it seems to attack less that way, but maybe face tanking is viable too.

Circle strafe the laser while sprinting and it wont hit you, for the meteor just sprint away and it also misses. Just watch for it to telegraph the attack and act appropriately. It's a slog where you're managing your stam/hp/potion cooldowns all fight while constantly taking damage but it's not impossible to solo.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Well, I restarted, new character and map.

The Elder is very close to spawn, along with mountains, black forest and not too many empty meadows.

Pretty luck to have this spawner (for seeds) within shooting distance of the Elder shrine

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

You can apparently lifehack stone stability to some extent with physics that make no sense to me.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
lol it's like viking age rebar

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
wow, crazy bug. took about 110 iron home to my main base in a karve, feeling proud, then dicked around forever doing the upgrades to the forge and playing with stone construction to make a tower for no reason

noticed that my swamp forward outpost was under attack, portaled through and...nothing loads. just a portal, nothing else. no trees, no monsters, nothing. just a big circle of red

tried my other portal, same issue. weird. everything fine once i relogged, although i did lose 10 copper/25 fine wood i'd just spent to move a forge item around

question re cheat commands: i can't get them to work on my dedicated server, and when i try in single player i get 'missing object' when trying to spawn copper or finewood. i know i've had copper in my single player game, what gives

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 3, 2021

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Woden posted:

It takes a while but it's doable solo. I spent most of the fight trying to get behind or beside him for hits since it seems to attack less that way, but maybe face tanking is viable too.

Circle strafe the laser while sprinting and it wont hit you, for the meteor just sprint away and it also misses. Just watch for it to telegraph the attack and act appropriately. It's a slog where you're managing your stam/hp/potion cooldowns all fight while constantly taking damage but it's not impossible to solo.

Yeah, his attacks are very easy to dodge. My issue is with how tedious he is to actually hit. It seemed like the silver tier hammer was doing the most damage per swing on him, but when you're only able to get 1-2 swings a go the fight starts to drag past the point of being much fun.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Schwack posted:

Yeah, his attacks are very easy to dodge. My issue is with how tedious he is to actually hit. It seemed like the silver tier hammer was doing the most damage per swing on him, but when you're only able to get 1-2 swings a go the fight starts to drag past the point of being much fun.

I maximized melee time by using the iframes on rolls during his blue AOE and only sprinting away to dodge meteors and the laser. I agree that the fight isn't much fun. At no point did I feel like the fight was difficult, I just had to deal with constantly running away to chug potions and letting my stamina / health regen which is not an enjoyable gameplay experience. The combat feels less like an experience where you're rewarded for being good and more like a time gate where you're just waiting for bars to fill up so you can hit your attack buttons again.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

xzzy posted:

The ease of dealing with blobs isn't the point, the point is the first time that poison hits you is a pants making GBS threads moment and is a wakeup call that tactics need to be adjusted and I seriously doubt anyone got through the swamps without getting hit at least once. They do prepare you for Bonemass, maybe you don't get handheld for the fight as some people would prefer but the hints are definitely there.

The first time I got blobbed was when we landed on the shore of a swamp and it jumped in our boat and killed us, and I'm going to guess, given the nature of exploration in this game, that getting blobbed right after landing ashore on a swamp is a common first experience. The lesson I learned was "don't be near blobs" and then you think "okay, so I don't want to be near bonemass, weird that all of these boss fights seem to just be shooting them from a distance but whatever" and then bonemass eats you because you learned the wrong lesson.

Also keep in mind that even with someone telling us all that we needed poison resist potions and iron maces, when we tried the fight for the first time almost all of us went "yeah right" and just brought bow and arrows, because it worked on everything else. At least 3 of us were just wearing full trollhide because movement speed was better for the swamp, given you're drenched all the time anyway. You can even cheese crypts by just leaving some of the gunk in the hallway and shooting draugrs and blobs that can't path to you with arrows.

Like I know you think your experience is the obvious, true experience, but I'm telling you it's not, because it wasn't the experience I had at all. More nudging towards making beehives early on, maybe letting people ferment stuff right away and gating meads behind gathering the specific materials instead of bronze is a better way to do it, maybe make elder do poison on his harder to avoid attacks or from the tentacles and let us use greydwarf eyes for poison resist mead because dear god I have so many of these loving things, I don't know. It could be better.

Woden
May 6, 2006

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

The first time I got blobbed was when we landed on the shore of a swamp and it jumped in our boat and killed us, and I'm going to guess, given the nature of exploration in this game, that getting blobbed right after landing ashore on a swamp is a common first experience. The lesson I learned was "don't be near blobs" and then you think "okay, so I don't want to be near bonemass, weird that all of these boss fights seem to just be shooting them from a distance but whatever" and then bonemass eats you because you learned the wrong lesson.

Also keep in mind that even with someone telling us all that we needed poison resist potions and iron maces, when we tried the fight for the first time almost all of us went "yeah right" and just brought bow and arrows, because it worked on everything else. At least 3 of us were just wearing full trollhide because movement speed was better for the swamp, given you're drenched all the time anyway. You can even cheese crypts by just leaving some of the gunk in the hallway and shooting draugrs and blobs that can't path to you with arrows.

Like I know you think your experience is the obvious, true experience, but I'm telling you it's not, because it wasn't the experience I had at all. More nudging towards making beehives early on, maybe letting people ferment stuff right away and gating meads behind gathering the specific materials instead of bronze is a better way to do it, maybe make elder do poison on his harder to avoid attacks or from the tentacles and let us use greydwarf eyes for poison resist mead because dear god I have so many of these loving things, I don't know. It could be better.

You actually can range Bonemass down with frost arrows and it's how I did most of the damage to him. It's probably slower than melee and more tedious because of the adds, but it's viable.

Still have the issue of meads though, took me a long time to figure out you could break bee's nests and then I didn't bother with the fermenter for a while either, but once you see frost potions are available who doesn't try to hit up the mountains to see what you can find?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

mastershakeman posted:

question re cheat commands: i can't get them to work on my dedicated server, and when i try in single player i get 'missing object' when trying to spawn copper or finewood. i know i've had copper in my single player game, what gives

It's case sensitive.
copper is "Copper"
Finewood is "FineWood"

I experience a new raid today in my fresh server.
After laying down about a dozen pieces of log wall, Eikthyr sent a bunch of necks and boars to come gently caress me up. That was fun.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Echophonic posted:

They're used for plains-tier foods and the medium healing mead.

and the oozes make sweet* poison bombs

*not that sweet

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I entered a crypt and after I broke some muddy scrap, the area behind it had, I'm guessing, about 50 draugrs in it. Just stacked up. They poured out like World War Z. What the gently caress? Anybody else have this unfortunate situation occur?

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

mastershakeman posted:

wow, crazy bug. took about 110 iron home to my main base in a karve, feeling proud, then dicked around forever doing the upgrades to the forge and playing with stone construction to make a tower for no reason

noticed that my swamp forward outpost was under attack, portaled through and...nothing loads. just a portal, nothing else. no trees, no monsters, nothing. just a big circle of red

tried my other portal, same issue. weird. everything fine once i relogged, although i did lose 10 copper/25 fine wood i'd just spent to move a forge item around

Wait, you can get events at bases you are not currently at?

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Untrustable posted:

I entered a crypt and after I broke some muddy scrap, the area behind it had, I'm guessing, about 50 draugrs in it. Just stacked up. They poured out like World War Z. What the gently caress? Anybody else have this unfortunate situation occur?

Probably got double corpse piles which are draugr spawners. They are an easy source of entrails so it sounds like you got lucky to me.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
It is completely alien to me to hear anyone saying "I saw a new enemy and just avoided it instead of cracking open its fetid hide to see what sweet sweet loot I could make from its bones"

It's like hearing someone say they've always just eaten cereal with a fork.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I mean you unlock recipes by having a material in your inventory, and this is clearly taught to you at the very beginning of the game when you start bashing trees and inevitable bash creatures for meat.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I purchased the game and died to the game

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Hommando posted:

Probably got double corpse piles which are draugr spawners. They are an easy source of entrails so it sounds like you got lucky to me.

No no no. 5 or 10 would be fine, but this had to be 30+ realistically. It was so many the game started to bog down. I'll never get my stuff back from that crypt. I guess I could go in there with the stagbreaker and just go to town. It would take a while though.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Untrustable posted:

No no no. 5 or 10 would be fine, but this had to be 30+ realistically. It was so many the game started to bog down. I'll never get my stuff back from that crypt. I guess I could go in there with the stagbreaker and just go to town. It would take a while though.

Sell that seed for money because that owns.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Hommando posted:

Sell that seed for money because that owns.

It's my birthday tho...

Edit: the seed is my birthdate. It's not my actual birthday right now.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

So I just reached the plains for real, and we're starting to get a base going. Is there some way to repel deathsquitos or do you just have to put up with them showing up in the base periodically?

Woden
May 6, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

So I just reached the plains for real, and we're starting to get a base going. Is there some way to repel deathsquitos or do you just have to put up with them showing up in the base periodically?

Lots of workbenches?

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Woden posted:

Lots of workbenches?

This.

My plains house has a workbench and my farm is littered with workbenches. This game needs something less hideous to act as scarecrows.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Man, there sure are a lot of mechanics in this game that are just made to be tedious as all gently caress (though that's the name of the game with survival titles). I've had some great adventures with friends so far but when we're running back to pick up our poo poo post death, dealing with stupid deathsquitos, failing to carry any decent amount of metal or ore which for some reason can't be ported with it feels like the game is just trying to waste our time. The balance in the game seems to be completely nonexistent as well, enemies are either stupidly easy or easily wipe you. Getting a boat unstuck is misery and combat is feels really, really bad; nothing has weight to it and animations look jank. I appreciate them trying to do the whole survival-lite approach so you don't get thirsty and starve to death, but not eating is a death sentence anyway so it's basically the same thing.

The game looks really good though and just exploring with friends is a treat, really love hitting the ocean with a boat and just seeing what we can find. So far though we're finding the same biomes over and over though, so that's losing it's luster as well.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Man, I really messed up not turning the evil piled-up Draugr village I found into an entrails farm.

On another note, I've seen some screenshots going around featuring an inventory that makes sense (separate equipment slots, etc) — which mod is this, and is it safe to use when playing on a dedicated server?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

The one I've seen is "Equipment and Quick Slots" on Nexus, everyone's favorite repository for creepy mods. Works fine in multiplayer, no need to install anything on the server and not everyone needs to be using it.