Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devildragon777
May 17, 2014

They'd be a lot more scary if they were more than an inch tall each.

Is the strawpoll not working for anyone else? It just shows up blank for me...

I wonder...Smercia's doing this to get her daughter back, and is intending to use the power of the Lord's to do it. If we can convince the Lords (or at least Blue & Red) to help in that task, could killing them be avoided?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Regallion posted:

Consider a different perspective: we don't WANT to work within the framework of this. We don't want to kill any Lords.

We've met two pretty chill Lords and two who seem like big jerks and would happily merk us, so I'm not entirely sure the case has been made that we should be going for a full pacifist run.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

King of Bleh posted:

We've met two pretty chill Lords and two who seem like big jerks and would happily merk us, so I'm not entirely sure the case has been made that we should be going for a full pacifist run.

put it this way, were those two bigger jerks than Smercia?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

devildragon777 posted:

It's working fine for me - sometimes it takes a while before the results show up. (And sometimes it breaks entirely, but this isn't one of those times.)

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

devildragon777 posted:

I wonder...Smercia's doing this to get her daughter back, and is intending to use the power of the Lord's to do it. If we can convince the Lords (or at least Blue & Red) to help in that task, could killing them be avoided?
That's the big question, and something we should probably ask her at some point. Probably at the same time we give her the rose so she doesn't kill us for it.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Stoner Sloth posted:

put it this way, were those two bigger jerks than Smercia?

Smercia at least has a legitimate(?) grievance against us, Bleeder was ready to kill us in cold blood with seemingly no provocation.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Randalor posted:

Though isn't Darkness seperate from Tyrant? I could have sworn a past level up gave the option of leveling Tyrant, not Darkness.

!Darkness comes from the Tyrant class, as does !Tyranny. Think of !Tyranny as 'tyrannical actions and force' and !Darkness as 'all those spooky powers Dark Lord types can pull off'.

Randalor posted:

Edit edit: Wait, what's a Megalith again? That's just the Lords strongholds, right? And Dancer forgot her keys to hers when she left it last?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED - On The Level

![ER_INVALID] - 7
!Darkness - 0
!PSI ESP ɑ - 13
IQ - 6
HT - 4
PE - 1

Updating...

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

It's a difficult choice, because we don't know what will happen when we actually get to the megalith. If we think we'll be able to resolve things peacefully, then we should try Dancer or Burner. The reason to pick Burner is that we now have amazing fire resistance, so the road to her megalith is likely to be the easiest of the seven. She's also a lower level than Dancer (30 vs 50), which suggests her land will be a bit less dangerous. The reason to pick Dancer is that she likes us more than Burner does, we have the ticket to Paradise, and PSI and Tourmaline Rains should be good tools to deal with the Backup non-lethally. But given how integral chance is to Dancer's identity, we'll probably have to deal with a lot of random dangers as well, and they're hard to prepare for while we're weak.

If we think we'll be forced to fight, then it's between Bleeder and Hider, and neither option is good. (The three greater lords shouldn't even be a consideration until we've dealt with the lesser lords, and screw fighting Red or Blue.) Bleeder is a hard target for us. The road to the megalith is going to be brutal - we ended up somewhere that was on the way to it during the Pluto glitch, and we didn't handle it very well mentally. When we get there, the Blue Book calls him a "frequent onerun ender", his whole thing is "one hit and you're dead or horribly mutated", and our DX is 11 - we're not going to be dodging him, and if we hit him with a sword we're not going to be dodging his blood. I think we have two plausible approaches. The first is a devastating surprise attack with PSI and Catmouflage. The second is a high-level __҉_, since that's what saved us the last time we encountered him, but at the moment it's not good enough to do what it should. ("My hand... it was wrong. It was incomplete. I hadn't MEANT it.") I think that's probably our better option. Alternatively, there's Hider, who we know very little about... except that their megalith is the Ocean Megalith and we just passed up the chance to get either water immunity or water breathing. And that they're rarely even in their megalith - they're normally in Jandoubi with their sister sisters. Both of those facts seem very bad, so I think we're probably best off going for Bleeder and trying to put some levels into __҉_ and pick up Catmouflage on the way, but I think either option has a good chance of ending the onerun.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Hey now, if Hider has Sister Sisters too, then they may have some relation to our new BFF. Huh, if we can get Hider, Dancer and Burner to side with us, I wonder if their backing would be enough to get Bleeder to, if not side with us, at least help us under the promise of being left to their own devices. Or we see if we can get Burner to side with us, and then burn Bleeder out like thr cancerous plague they are.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Sheet has been updated. !PSI ESP has been upgraded. Sunset Shroud has been deluxified into the Solar Veil. Added the powers of 9 Lives and Psychic Shield.

Sheet Link

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Black August posted:

Sheet has been updated. !PSI ESP has been upgraded. Sunset Shroud has been deluxified into the Solar Veil. Added the powers of 9 Lives and Psychic Shield.

Sheet Link
Oh hey, a defensive power that lets us handle fire damage even betterer. Neat.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

High winds causing power flickers here, so I'm afraid the update will have a delay until tomorrow.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Black August posted:

I will take a moment to break meta and say that Smiercia told the character to, and the motivation she provided is that she will kill them and erase them from existence if they don't kill the Lords. Also it's a game. You can relax and have fun with it!

N-no, she told them to acquire lordly souls, which we are already not-doing going by out 0/3 record so far. With that in mind visiting megaliths also seems counterproductive. I guess it only makes sense from the game side.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Regallion posted:

N-no, she told them to acquire lordly souls, which we are already not-doing going by out 0/3 record so far. With that in mind visiting megaliths also seems counterproductive. I guess it only makes sense from the game side.
Red and Blue being where they were is already noted as being incredibly unusual, and I don't think going back to the blood lake in the hopes that Bleeder is still hanging around there instead of hiding in his Megalith (whatever Tyrant did to him seemed to seriously freak him the gently caress out - being able to just kill Bleeder with some innate ability we have is probably why he's so memetastic according to the Blue Book, should probably level Tyranny before we next face him so we can do the "real" version of whatever the hell that was since it seemed so effective) is a good idea considering how we "solved" that particular quest. We'd probably wind up getting stuck inside some terrain since the area might be simultaneously existing in three states.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

N-no, why would we go back in the swamp? There is an entire world map to explore and presumably find clues to the alternative ways of dealing with the issue.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Regallion, the reason we're going to a megalith is that we literally voted to at the start of the dream - remember? I think it probably wasn't a great decision on our part, but don't attack the GM for it.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

pumpinglemma posted:

Regallion, the reason we're going to a megalith is that we literally voted to at the start of the dream - remember? I think it probably wasn't a great decision on our part, but don't attack the GM for it.

but i am not attacking the GM i am attacking the thread? as mentioned, literally no one explained their reasoning for voting that way, so i still posit the question - why the hell are we going there? what in blazes does the thread want to do there???

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

Regallion posted:

but i am not attacking the GM i am attacking the thread? as mentioned, literally no one explained their reasoning for voting that way, so i still posit the question - why the hell are we going there? what in blazes does the thread want to do there???

thread's always going to make decisions that you don't agree with, i voted against the megalith but i can see a few possible reasons

1. Gotta leave the tutorial at some point, might as well take fate by the proverbial short and curlies;
2. Smercia isn't going to continue to be convinced that we're trying to get the Lords if we keep pondering around the same area for too long; going to the Megaliths is probably one way of making it look like we're taking her demands seriously;
3. Going into stuff early so far has paid off

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Regallion posted:

I voted for it. It sounds fun.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I voted to go to the Megalith just because 1) We kinda need to actually advance the plot, 2) If we head there ourselves, we may find more appropriately-levelled stuff to fight, and 3) We're bound to glitch into one at the rate we're going, I would prefer to head there willingly rather than completely by accident.

And shouldn't we use the suitifier now before we head out?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Relax. I didn't vote to go there, but on a meta level, I'm pretty sure the GM wouldn't lock us into a long-term dead-person-walking state on the basis of a single choice which was at least somewhat obscured. (I certainly didn't realise how final it was at the time.) Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we're safe or that we have plot armour - in fact I think there is a decent chance we die here - but I do think that if the megalith had been certain death then we'd have been given a chance to turn back. Instead, we've had the Euamur arc which has dramatically increased our power level.

I do think it's pretty important we go to the right megalith, though.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
I want to go to the megalith cause I want us to actually kill some lords, screw all this good ending stuff :unsmigghh:

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

I voted to go to megalith because I assumed it would happen inside the dream and might give us some useful info (or at least something weird)
I'm OK with it being a waking-world decision though since as mentioned, we do need to move the plot forward, we can't keep relying on stumbling into glitch revelations to make stuff happen. at some point we gotta decide poo poo for ourself

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Regallion posted:

Because it's more fun when the player is in constant danger. Some of the most amazing moments has been when we've been at death's door.

And re: pacifist run, I don't mind going for that, but I don't think it's going to be a 7/7 lords pacifist run. Hunter uh, seems hellbent on killing the gently caress out of us.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Yeah, I don't want to kill Red and Blue, but I have 0 sentimentality for the rest of these dudes currently.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
On a more serious note regarding the pacifist run/true ending etc - we really don't have enough information to work towards that when we don't even know it's a possibility.
From a meta perspective, no player had ever killed 7 lords and posted about it in the hint book (I think). We're just going off what we as players know about RPGs where there's usually some sort of happy perfect ending if you try hard enough. It might not exist, or take some other form entirely.
That and most of the reason we're aiming for it is due to Dancer and Burner - remember we know absolutely nothing about their true nature and history beyond a weird mythos warped camp and a single dream. Some lords may be completely irredeemable monsters who can't be interacted with at all - but at least heading to a monolith will likely tell us more about them than wandering around the tutorial zone until Death brings the scythe down for slacking.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

to be fair it seems there is an assumption that "Not go to megalith" meant "Stay put" whereas i assumed it would be more like "screw the megalith, let's go hang out in jandoubi"

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm too lazy to go back through the previous pages, but did the group of Backups go to Jandoubi because they were locked out of Paradise along with Dancer? If we can reopen Paradise, it may make Jandoubi easier if it either clears out the Backups, or let's us tell them that Paradise has reopened.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Randalor posted:

And shouldn't we use the suitifier now before we head out?

An excellent reminder, and what I'd like to leave the thread on for tonight. I'm preparing to move this Saturday, so updates will be sporadic while I juggle that. In the meantime-

PLAYER VOTE: FOREVERIAL SUITUP AND LOVING IT

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Black August posted:

An excellent reminder, and what I'd like to leave the thread on for tonight. I'm preparing to move this Saturday, so updates will be sporadic while I juggle that. In the meantime-

First reaction: BULLETSUIT

Highly impractical since it'll ruin our ranged/noisemaking capabilities, but man Gungarnitur is a cool name.

Think the bloody silk might be best?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

The bloody silk does feel less likely to be cursed than the silk we got from the Leng spider, and more likely to be powerful than one we get from bullets. I don’t think we should delay the charge, though - remember, it’s not a one-off thing like the deluxifier, it’ll recharge after a while.

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
I voted bloody silk, since Kadath is like, the weird dreamland city of the gods so it'll probably be cool. (This LP made me look up wikipedia summaries of a bunch of Lovecraft stories. Apparently all the gods abandoned Kadath for Boston? Which sure is a choice)

The Leng silk seemed like it was harder to get, given it was in that cave that was only empty because we murdered the camp's pet spider, so I'm pretty cool with either.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Black August posted:

Weird. My vote wasn't counted, or was counted improperly. I know because I voted for Gungarnitur and it's still showing 0 votes.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Katsuma posted:

Weird. My vote wasn't counted, or was counted improperly. I know because I voted for Gungarnitur and it's still showing 0 votes.
Strawpoll's been acting up for the last while. It'll count eventually, it's up to 1 now on my end for instance.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Black August posted:

I did the Kadath suit just because I think the probably red will match our new veil, and what are video games if not dressup simulators?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I went with the black silk because I think a black tux would be rather dapper with our new veil... except that our veil's color changed from red to black gold. Whoops.

Randalor fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 3, 2021

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Randalor posted:

I went with the black silk because I think a black tux would be rather dapper with our new veil... except that our veil's color changed from red to black gold. Whoops.
Now, don't undersell yourself! Black and gold is also a classic and rather classy combination! Why shouldn't we contrast a suit woven from the shadow of spiders with a blazing, glorious veil? The important thing is, we're going to look amazing.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
If we had more than 6 bullets I would be all over the bullet suit, with its matching bullet bolo tie etc. But we don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

VOTING CLOSED - Suitification #1

Black Silk = Tachcan Tuxedo - 8
Bloody Silk = Kadath Regalia - 17
6 Bullets = Gungarnitur - 2
Save the charge and make a suit later. - 6

...LOADING

[New Suit Equipped!]