Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

How about this : Rome is Rome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

euphronius posted:

mods, ban this filth

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Actually, I am Rome

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

euphronius posted:

I cant believe the new Rome is in Georgia

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Rome is where the heart is.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

It's kinda funny, the Roman Empire is such an iconic symbol for all subsequent Western history.... But nobody likes its first Emperor.

Augustus has no impact in popular culture apart from maybe being a conniving snake. Historians I've read said there's basically nothing to like about him compared to the original Caesar, particularly in his younger, ruthless days.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

It's kinda funny, the Roman Empire is such an iconic symbol for all subsequent Western history.... But nobody likes its first Emperor.

Augustus has no impact in popular culture apart from maybe being a conniving snake. Historians I've read said there's basically nothing to like about him compared to the original Caesar, particularly in his younger, ruthless days.

What

Is this a troll post? The title for emperor was Augustus. 100 years later Marcus Aurelius wrote about him. He gets mentioned from time to time in Byzantine sources. Adrian Goldsworthy ends his biography of him with a caution to remember he was a tyrant because most people would be too attached by the end of the work.

1/12 of the year is named after him

He's in two shakspeare plays and is the Emperor in the Bible

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 3, 2021

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

Sure does get hot in Sixtilis.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

i don't know what histories you read but frankly i'm baffled half of the time when you post about "historians i've read say x"

this is one of those times, but even more so

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
He's played by Brian Blessed of all people. Brian Blessed!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

NikkolasKing posted:

Augustus died in his bed old as hell and was universally mourned because he was a ruthless warlord who seized tyrannical power from the government and mulched rich people for their money. Sounds pretty likable to me

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

NikkolasKing posted:

shades of keldoclock

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

NikkolasKing, could you do me a favour and stick your head out the window and tell me how many zeppelins you can see? I'm testing a theory.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

last year I was talking with a guy who sold roman coins, and asked him which ones were the most popular and he said that everyone wants the ones with Augustus on them, so they're a lot more expensive than any of the other emperors

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

What

Is this a troll post? The title for emperor was Augustus. 100 years later Marcus Aurelius wrote about him. He gets mentioned from time to time in Byzantine sources. Adrian Goldsworthy ends his biography of him with a caution to remember he was a tyrant because most people would be too attached by the end of the work.

1/12 of the year is named after him

He's in two shakspeare plays and is the Emperor in the Bible

It's funny you mention Goldsworthy as it's him who supports my own layman conclusions:

quote:

Yet in spite of his remarkable story and profound infl uence on the history of an empire which has shaped the culture of the western world, Caesar Augustus has slipped from the wider consciousness. For most people he is a name mentioned in Christmas services or school Nativity plays and nothing more than that. Hardly anybody stops to think that the month of July is named after Julius Caesar, but I suspect even fewer are aware that August is named after Augustus. Julius Caesar is famous, and so are Antony and Cleopatra, Nero, Alexander the Great, Hannibal, perhaps Hadrian, and a few of the philosophers – but Augustus is not. One of the reasons is that Shakespeare never wrote a play about him, perhaps because there is little natural tragedy in a man who lives to a ripe old age and dies in his bed. He appears as Octavius in Julius Caesar and as Caesar in Antony and Cleopatra, but in neither play is his character particularly engaging, unlike Brutus, Antony – or even lesser players like Enobarbus. His fate is principally to serve as a foil to Antony, weak, even cowardly, but cold and manipulative where the latter is brave, intensely physical, simple and passionate. The contrast was already there in the ancient sources, and had its roots in the propaganda war waged at the time; it has only tended to become even more pronounced in modern treatments of the story – think for instance of the glacially cold performance with just hints of sadism given by Roddy McDowall in the famous 1963 epic movie Cleopatra.

Calculating, devious and utterly ruthless, such an Augustus encourages the audience to sympathise with Antony and Cleopatra, and thus makes their deaths all the more tragic, for in the end these stories are about them. No play, fi lm or novel with Augustus at its heart has ever captured the popular imagination. In Robert Graves’ novel, I Claudius – and the wonderful BBC dramatisation which is now at least as well known – he is once again no more than prominent among the supporting cast. This treatment is much more sympathetic, and he plays a diff erent role as the simple, emotional – and only occasionally menacing – old man being outmanoeuvred by Livia, his manipulative and murderous wife. Such stories are involving and entertaining, but on their own give no real understanding of why Augustus was so important, making it hard to connect the young schemer to the ageing and often outwitted emperor.

[...]

The image of the icy manipulator also quickly vanishes as we look at a man who struggled, and often failed, to restrain his passions and hot temper. This is the Augustus who had an affair with the married and pregnant Livia, made her husband divorce her and then had the man preside over their wedding mere days after she had given birth. It is an episode you might expect more of Antony – or perhaps even more of Nero, great-grandson of Mark Antony and Augustus’ sister. Alongside the passion came a good deal of savagery. Augustus, Antony and their fellow triumvir Lepidus were all guilty of mass murder, famously during the proscriptions – ‘these many, then, shall die, their names are pricked’ in Shakespeare’s version – and on plenty of other occasions. That the other warlords of this era rarely behaved any better does not absolve them of such cruelty. It is often difficult to like the young Augustus, in spite of his moderation in later life, and the struggle to reconcile two apparently different men has troubled most of his modern biographers. Often the solution is effectively to divide his life into two.

The intro to Goldsworthy's Augustus, First Emperor of Rome

Augustus is absolutely nowhere near as famous a figure as Alexander or Julius Caesar in the popular imagination.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Shakespeare didn’t write a play about him

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You didn't have to type that up man, my copy is like five feet away. Saying he's not as famous as Caeser or Alexander isn't saying much, those two are incredibly popular, they also share that they died in the middle of their project. That's why people remember them and write tragedies about them. how do you write a tragedy about a super competent dude who threw great parties, had a hot wife who let him gently caress around, funded some of the greatest poets of the latin language, had a super cool best friend, built a quarter of the stuff in rome, and then died of old age incredibly successful by every single measure.

Caeser and Alexander will always have an allure, a vision of "What if they had lived?" Augustus doesn't have this, because we're living in that world.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

You didn't have to type that up man, my copy is like five feet away. Saying he's not as famous as Caeser or Alexander isn't saying much, those two are incredibly popular, they also share that they died in the middle of their project. That's why people remember them and write tragedies about them. how do you write a tragedy about a super competent dude who threw great parties, had a hot wife who let him gently caress around, funded some of the greatest poets of the latin language, had a super cool best friend, built a quarter of the stuff in rome, and then died of old age incredibly successful by every single measure.

Caeser and Alexander will always have an allure, a vision of "What if they had lived?" Augustus doesn't have this, because we're living in that world.

I mainly posted it because I was basically accused of making up poo poo when I was just quoting Goldsworthy. Maybe I expressed it poorly but all I was trying to say was that Rome is such a towering legacy in all Western history and culture but its first Emperor seems so much smaller. That was my reading of that intro.

I wasn't saying he had no impact, just that this impact is less recognized than it might ought to be. And it could very well be exactly for the reasons you said. It's why I like Julian, what the world might have been if he lived.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
august: adjective
au·​gust | \ ȯ-ˈgəst
, ˈȯ-(ˌ)gəst
\
Definition of august

(Entry 1 of 2)
: marked by majestic dignity or grandeur
her august lineage
an august mansion

we literally use his name, two millennia + later, to mean "imperially dignified" or bigwig. are there any other emperors, other than Caesar, who could claim something similar?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Literally have a month named after him !!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I think it's pretty fair to say Augustus doesn't exist in the popular consciousness at a level equal to his accomplishments. Ol' Jules is the big one, and Nero, Caligula, and Commodus are probably the most famous emperors by a decent margin. I'd say Mark Antony is more famous too, which I bet Augustus would just fuckin' love to hear.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I mainly posted it because I was basically accused of making up poo poo when I was just quoting Goldsworthy. Maybe I expressed it poorly but all I was trying to say was that Rome is such a towering legacy in all Western history and culture but its first Emperor seems so much smaller. That was my reading of that intro.

I wasn't saying he had no impact, just that this impact is less recognized than it might ought to be. And it could very well be exactly for the reasons you said. It's why I like Julian, what the world might have been if he lived.
I agree he's less recognized than he should be. If you're entirely or mostly basing your assertion on Goldsworthy though you have to keep in mind that he's british and they've got a more complicated relationship with him than most of the world, he ends up tied into a lot of Cromwellian and anti republican feeling more as a symbol than as an actual figure with them.

Grand Fromage posted:

I think it's pretty fair to say Augustus doesn't exist in the popular consciousness at a level equal to his accomplishments. Ol' Jules is the big one, and Nero, Caligula, and Commodus are probably the most famous emperors by a decent margin. I'd say Mark Antony is more famous too, which I bet Augustus would just fuckin' love to hear.
He'd probably love to hear that 1/12 the year is still his and mark anthony is still remembered as a colossal gently caress up.

Also I think Marcus Aurelius beats out his failson, and Justitinian is probably up there for the more history nerd but not actual historian types.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
If Agrippa lost his battles and his line collapsed and Augustus been stabbed to death in the camp latrine as he was making GBS threads his guts maybe then he'd also occupt the current position of Mark Antony.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm actually a little bit curious about the alt history where like, Augustus just dies of some disease five minutes after becoming undisputed ruler of rome. Obviously there's another round of civil wars, but do they end in dissolution or another successful strongman?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm actually a little bit curious about the alt history where like, Augustus just dies of some disease five minutes after becoming undisputed ruler of rome. Obviously there's another round of civil wars, but do they end in dissolution or another successful strongman?

All hail Agrippa :allears:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Five minutes? Agrippa might be able to pull it off, he was competent enough to run the thing, but he didn't have the name, authority, or noble connections. His men we're probably loyal as hell though and I'm not sure if anything else matters in the moment.

If he did I think we might see Egypt secede again if Caeserion managed to escape or perhaps even without, the revolt in Illyria might see them escape too, The caeser name meant a hell of a lot before he'd really consolidated things but I think the Imperial core would've been able to be secured by Agrippa.

Tiberius would've had a much better time not being forced to be the bigman I think

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

lol at moving the goalposts from 'nobody likes augustus' to 'augustus didn't get a big shakespearean tragedy like julius'

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Things probably wouldn't have gone well. Augustus and Agrippa were a dream team and exactly what the empire needed after a century of chaos, and the simple fact of Augustus ruling for so long was enormous for government stability. It's hard to overstate Augustus' importance; a Roman Empire would have continued to exist, but it would have looked different. And I don't think it would have been nearly as stable. Having a ruler who both is in charge for a very long time and competent is rare. That guy also having a completely loyal, even more competent second in command is even rarer.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Tunicate posted:

lol at moving the goalposts from 'nobody likes augustus' to 'augustus didn't get a big shakespearean tragedy like julius'

look, no one knows about this guy who has an adjective and a month of the year named after him and was one of the main characters in a super popular HBO show

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Tunicate posted:

WoodrowSkillson posted:

look, no one knows about this guy who has an adjective and a month of the year named after him and was one of the main characters in a super popular HBO show

Let's not be too harsh, I think they just read too much into the introduction of a book, they took the time to type out a couple pages of it so they weren't trolling.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Let's not be too harsh, I think they just read too much into the introduction of a book, they took the time to type out a couple pages of it so they weren't trolling.

there's a break at a ligature, that's a copypaste

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Thank you. I was just listening to the book last night in a random mood and everything in the intro made me go "...he's right. Augustus is a remarkably minor figure in the public consciousness compared to Rome itself."

And even if he's right, you and others discussed the reasons for this. I'm not trying to say gently caress Augustus that worthless, unimportant piece of poo poo. It was just a thought.

And maybe he overstates the case. I have read zero other biographies of Augustus. Although I really enjoyed this paper I red a few months ago on the concept of peace and how it traces itself back to Augustus:

quote:

Canonical texts in international relations define peace as the absence of violence (Aron 1973, 21; Bull 2012, 18; Clausewitz 1976, 75; Waltz 1959, 1; 1979, 343). However, a glance at the philology of the word “peace” reveals a more complex relationship with violence. The Latin words for peace (pax, pacis, paco) trace their roots to the verb for a pact (pacisci), “which ended a war and led to submission, friendship, or alliance.” As Rome transitioned from republic to empire, pax changed its meaning from a pact among equals to submission to Rome, and “pacare began to refer to conquest” (Weinstock 1960, 45).1

Two monuments built by Augustus, the first Roman Emperor, record this shift in the meaning of peace. The first, the Ara Pacis Augustae, a monument to the goddess of peace, commemorates Augustus’s pacification of Gaul and Spain (Kleiner 2005, 212). The second, the funerary inscription Res Gestae Divi Augusti, appeared on Augustus’s tomb and celebrates his many accomplishments, including bringing peace to the sea, Gaul, Spain, and the Alps. Crucially, the term used to characterize this peace is pacavi, which means pacified. Pacavi is not the absence of violence but the use of violence to reorder the world into a Roman Empire. Thus, Pax Romana meant eliminating the threat of war—both civil and foreign—through the preponderance of Roman military might.

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"

NikkolasKing posted:

Thank you. I was just listening to the book last night in a random mood and everything in the intro made me go "...he's right. Augustus is a remarkably minor figure in the public consciousness compared to Rome itself."

And even if he's right, you and others discussed the reasons for this. I'm not trying to say gently caress Augustus that worthless, unimportant piece of poo poo. It was just a thought.

And maybe he overstates the case. I have read zero other biographies of Augustus. Although I really enjoyed this paper I red a few months ago on the concept of peace and how it traces itself back to Augustus:

I don't think that point is unreasonable, its just that your initial post was worded in a way that made your argument sound much more radical then you intended. Augustus certainly is remembered much less vividly in the public consciousness then other ancient figures, which is an interesting topic.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I was listening to Tides of History and the host said that in premodern times cities had a negative population growth or in other words people would come in from the countryside to work and die in great numbers. The anthropologist/archaeologists he was interviewing didn't contradict that. Does anyone know where this information might have come from?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

NikkolasKing posted:

Mark Zuckerberg literally and deliberately stole his haircut

https://www.businessinsider.com/mark-zuckerberg-haircut-explained-augustus-caesar-2019-10

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Mar 3, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
If you just know Rome from pop culture, you probably don't see much Augustus. If you study even a bit of Roman history, or more historical-based drama than just movies and Asterix, you can't escape Augustus.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

CoolCab posted:

august: adjective
au·​gust | \ ȯ-ˈgəst
, ˈȯ-(ˌ)gəst
\
Definition of august

(Entry 1 of 2)
: marked by majestic dignity or grandeur
her august lineage
an august mansion

we literally use his name, two millennia + later, to mean "imperially dignified" or bigwig. are there any other emperors, other than Caesar, who could claim something similar?

augustus, -a, -um was a word long before it was given as a title of honor to the man

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

"cowardly cold and manipulative" are the best characters. Augustus rules.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

How does zucc continue to find new ways to piss me off? loving rear end in a top hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Grevling posted:

I was listening to Tides of History and the host said that in premodern times cities had a negative population growth or in other words people would come in from the countryside to work and die in great numbers. The anthropologist/archaeologists he was interviewing didn't contradict that. Does anyone know where this information might have come from?

Look up the term “urban penalty.” It seems reasonably well accepted. These links are covering the 19th century but refer to the concept as existing much earlier.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/ehr.12964
https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...8D2397FD32E9066