Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Qubee posted:

I leave the back against the wall uncovered so they have a tiny bit of light.

Completely cover the cage.

A play of shadows either from the light at night or during morning can spook the hell out of a bird enough to break it's leg when it gets hung up on a chain trying to get away from the, obvious, predator RIGHT OUTSIDE!!

It's happened to me and have heard of it happening to many others.

Completely covered = perfect night for sleeping. They can still be spooked via noise but I find budgies not as spooked from noises compared to larger parrots.

When you uncover make sure it's slow and you are speaking gently.

SLOOOOOOW AS MOLLASSES.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eikre
May 2, 2009
My diamond dove died last night.

I found her at the bottom of the cage today, eyes closed, wouldn't wake up. Seated over a little bloodstain. Eggbound.

I feel miserable. Last night I saw her hanging out on the floor of the cage, a behavior that I found concerning when I first saw it several months ago, but something I'd come to expect every couple of weeks as just being one of her customary perches. I feel like I could have paid more attention. She wasn't hand-tamed and her zebra finch cagemate was very protective, which was an impedance to working with her, but I was thinking of getting another finch and separating them into different cages so that I could try. She was always so very, very tolerant, as long as the finch wasn't flipping out. I feel like she might have been a good shoulder bird. And now I know how soft her feathers are. I should have made it more of a priority.

:(

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Eikre posted:

I found her at the bottom of the cage today, eyes closed, wouldn't wake up. Seated over a little bloodstain. Eggbound.

I feel miserable. Last night I saw her hanging out on the floor of the cage, a behavior that I found concerning when I first saw it several months ago, but something I'd come to expect every couple of weeks as just being one of her customary perches. I feel like I could have paid more attention. She wasn't hand-tamed and her zebra finch cagemate was very protective, which was an impedance to working with her, but I was thinking of getting another finch and separating them into different cages so that I could try. She was always so very, very tolerant, as long as the finch wasn't flipping out. I feel like she might have been a good shoulder bird. And now I know how soft her feathers are. I should have made it more of a priority.

i am so sorry.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Eikre posted:

I'm so sorry about your loss. I'm certain your dove lived a wonderful, happy life with you. Hang in there and take care of yourself. You are a good bird friend.
-----------------------
Guess who weighs 115g?! Creeping up on 20% decrease in body weight. She isn't obese! But she is still so very fussy!

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Thanks for the heads up. I have two lightbulbs in my room front and back, and I turn one off so the cage is basically entirely in shadow when the top half is covered and a sliver of the bottom of the cage is illuminated, makes my room feel like it's having a sunset. Moving about doesn't cast shadows due to the lightbulb layout. I just have to hope that if a fright does happen, no serious injuries occur.

Morning routine when I can hear them puttering about is to gently call their names, it's strangely the only ever time I've been able to wake up early without being annoyed. Then I just sort of fold the shirts I use to cover the cage up slowly onto the cage top and flick the light on, then go back to sleep.

I think this may be the final cage update: it's been three days since I started Operation Lockdown. I keep them in the cage throughout the day and only let them out twice a day, one hour in the morning and one hour in the late afternoon about two hours before bed. Feeding only happens in the cage, no exception, to help solidify the idea that cage = safe and positive and good things. I don't let them eat seeds from my hands anymore, or spread it around on my desk. First day was awful, I felt like a monster. Second day was slightly better. Today, they'll happily sit and play in the cage and will sometimes not immediately try to fly out when I open the door. They'll accept that the door is, in fact, open, but carry on eating or playing with their toys or relaxing. They do get a bit antsy if I don't let them out when they are expecting it. Reckon I'm going to keep this routine up until they're comfortably and happily flying in and out of the cage of their own accord.

I miss having them out all the time, I love when they're just on my shoulder or playing around my hand whilst I'm using the mouse. But they're still not perfect when it comes to cagetime. I'm just so grateful the stressing out and trying to squeeze through the bars has stopped.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yes that's my experience too, making it a rule that food is inside the cage makes it much easier to convince birds to go back in.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

While she WAS with you you made her life happy and pleasant, remember that.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Hummingbirb update: Two eggs!

I snuck a pic while she was away. Right now she is in the nest keeping the eggs warm. :kimchi:

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

I removed the food as soon as I was advised to, and quickly upgraded the little fellow to a pet carrier lined with towels.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I had an interesting discussion with a friend, who also keeps birds. He has a Zebra Finch that is like a tiny puppy, it's so weird to see a bird behave that way when they're naturally rather reclusive and distant. He seems to be of the opinion that I need to be more hands on with my budgies, as he said the way I treat them is too 'formal', I guess, or polite? I told him budgies are a different breed entirely, they're not really that cuddly, they dictate when they want scratches or not. If I even attempt to stroke them or hold them, they get a bit irritated. He said if I keep practicing with the youngest (Wasabi), I can get him used to being held, or put on his back on my hand, or stroked and cuddled. I don't know if I fully agree with that, it kind of goes against what I have read about birds online: always respect their boundaries, never force anything, always let them initiate contact, encourage behaviour with positive reinforcement. A glaring example of our different schools of thought are how we get our birds to step up, I put my finger in front of them and let them hop on, he'll push his finger gently under the belly to get them off balance and force the step up.

I'm not really sure whether I should listen to the advice. On the one hand, I'd love my two budgies to be even more cuddly and 100 percent okay with rougher (in the sense of stroking them, having them lay on their backs on my hand, letting me cuddle them any way I want) handling, but on the other, I feel like this is a great way to destroy a lot of the organic trust we've built up. We spend plenty of time together, they love to be on my shoulders, but they're like an extreme version of a cat - they only want to be cuddly and close when it suits them, otherwise they won't even entertain the thought and will flit off to do their own thing. I'd love to hear what you all have to say. I also wouldn't want to force them to do things they're unhappy with, but a small part of me wonders if that would only be the initial reaction, but over time they'd realise it's not that bad and they actually love using my hand as a hammock or letting me cuddle them under their chins whenever.

I just accepted the fact that they're budgies and this is how they'll always be, slightly aloof with brief periods of cuddliness - but only ever on their terms. However, some pictures and videos I see online or on Reddit, people manage to have extremely cuddly and close budgies that'll happily lay in their hands, or get cuddles, stuff like that. I figured I'd perhaps chosen the wrong type of bird for my personality, and maybe should have gone with a cockatiel. I still absolutely love my two little poopheads, but the relationship can sometimes leave much to be desired.

Question: Wasabi is a month younger than Chickadoodle, so 2 months old rather than 3 months. I notice he will keep harassing Chickadoodle for food. That's not a problem as Chickadoodle will tell him to buzz off when they're not in the mood, but is there a risk of Chickadoodle becoming malnourished due to all the feedings? I catch her feeding him a couple of times a day. He eats seeds no problem, I think he's just being lazy. I don't know whether to leave this behaviour or try and discourage it.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Mar 3, 2021

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Agrinja posted:

I removed the food as soon as I was advised to, and quickly upgraded the little fellow to a pet carrier lined with towels.

Habdsome!!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I guess the birdie Advil did the trick.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Awww, nice warm Hannah toeses :kimchi:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Chickadoodle is getting hella nibbly, which I've heard other people complain of with their female budgies.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Qubee posted:

Chickadoodle is getting hella nibbly, which I've heard other people complain of with their female budgies.

grace will sit on your shoulder and just constantly eat your earlobe so get used to it i guess

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

mediaphage posted:

grace will sit on your shoulder and just constantly eat your earlobe so get used to it i guess

Our first budgie ever growing up chose my mom as her favorite chew-human. It was kind of funny just hearing the occasional "OW!" coming from the home office. That budgie also learned she could dive bomb her door to get it open and land on a shoulder whenever she wanted.

So what's kind of embarrassing is that when I was an early teen, I'd sometimes freak out if she landed on my shoulder cause i didn't want to get nibbled and one time I just ran while she was sitting on me and I stubbed my entire foot so hard on a brick fireplace and she was singing happily during the whole thing.

She'd stick her head in your mouth if you went "aaah!"

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I want to see one of the birds that has a potty mouth from a previous owner (but whose current owner rescued them) order from Alexa

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

my friend got some emotional support budgies a few weeks ago and absolutely loves them
the first few days she was almost crying from how much she cares about them its adorable

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

oh heres some pictures she said i could share

they in da cage (she plans on getting them a bigger one, this was the biggest the store had)

from left to right: Cirrus, Strato, and Sol

cirrus eatin da seed

cirrus and strato chillin

i love them

hbag fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 4, 2021

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

oh my gosh I love them too :kimchi:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

oh my gosh I love them too :kimchi:

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Sinbad will lose shoulder privileges if he doesn't stop chewing my glasses. What's the best way to discourage him. I just lean away and tell him no to reset him to preening hair but he inevitably returns to the glasses.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

SuperKlaus posted:

Sinbad will lose shoulder privileges if he doesn't stop chewing my glasses. What's the best way to discourage him. I just lean away and tell him no to reset him to preening hair but he inevitably returns to the glasses.

It's delicious surprise plastic in your hair, and it needs to be preened out! If there's a way to make them not do that, I never found it in more than twenty years of lovebird ownership. I just accepted my fate and switched to contacts until she passed.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

hbag posted:

they in da cage (she plans on getting them a bigger one, this was the biggest the store had)

cirrus eatin da seed

i love them

Nice to see you in the bird thread, hbag. You've been making the rounds! Aww, they're still babies! Are they tame?

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Nice to see you in the bird thread, hbag. You've been making the rounds! Aww, they're still babies! Are they tame?

Apparently Cirrus is sorta tame, but Strato and Sol aren't.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

This might seem counterintuitive but your friend should know not to feel afraid or apprehensive when trying to interact with them even if they flip their poo poo, there's no real need for letting new birds "settle in". Get 'em on yo fingers asap.

They'll get used to it after a couple of weeks or months.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Plant MONSTER. posted:

This might seem counterintuitive but your friend should know not to feel afraid or apprehensive when trying to interact with them even if they flip their poo poo, there's no real need for letting new birds "settle in". Get 'em on yo fingers asap.

They'll get used to it after a couple of weeks or months.

yea for a little while grace would do what i can only term a hatebeak deathshriek if your fingers approached the cage. then she finally realized we weren't coming to pluck her and now she's a snuggle bug.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Ozzy still does hatebeak deathshriek but he generally either very gently holds my finger in his beak or just pokes me with his tongue while he does it. He only sounds like he wants to murder me.

I find this hilarious but I would never tell him, he's very proud.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

my friend loves grace btw

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

hbag posted:

cirrus eatin da seed

i love them

Strato doing the sternest soft snugg in between Cirrus and Sol is my eternal vibe

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i have been told that strato is currently On The Swing but my friend cant get pictures because if she gets close he'll get off

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Strato looks like the youngest of the bunch, makes sense that he wants to snug and leech as much delicious heat as possible.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

hbag posted:

i have been told that strato is currently On The Swing but my friend cant get pictures because if she gets close he'll get off

This is also known as the Parakeet Picture Conundrum.

It's like trying to take a picture of the Predator.

(THEY ARE SO ADORABLE!!! :kimchi: )

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

hbag posted:

my friend loves grace btw

this fills me with joy

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

Does this mean anything?

https://twitter.com/tinymira/status/1367852384320372747?s=21

He just does this for minutes on end. He seems okay, I just want to make sure.

(I know he’s a hen, he’s just a he/him hen)

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Content and happy with a full crop.

That clicking is them working the muscles in their crop processing the food in there, grinding it down for their stomach. You'll mostly notice them doing this a little while after they've eaten.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
That's a happy Tiny Birb. :3:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

That little pudden is busy thinking about the important business of digesting the food. I'm no budgie expert, but I know happy parrots, and that birb is busy and content. They aren't super sleepy, but they are not unhappy, and they are focussed on something comfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

Oh, what a relief! He’s been hanging out on my shoulder and doing that for over 15 minutes at a stretch.
He seems happy (he leaves of his own accord when he’s ready), I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t a symptom of something. :)
Thanks! I love Scamp!!