Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

kingturnip posted:

Turns out rotting fruit makes a better politician than Keith "no, slash his penis more" Starmer
I imagine that “penis-slasher Starmer” will make him sound far cooler than he actually is to the Labour right in the same way that all the stuff about Corbyn being a laser-eyed Communist colossus did to us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

I can imagine Sturgeon being forced out and the BBC cutting to a house in Scotland where Jo Swinson throws up her arms and cheers in mirror image to when Sturgeon did the same.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I'm picturing after her resignation all the talking heads saying that it is only right for a minister to resign in these circumstances with Priti Patel's face floating over the screen in full on smirk mode

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

some fubpee on Twitter talking about the lack of accountability over Tory corruption posted:

The legacy of choosing Corbyn as leader. Two friends, both true blue Tories, joined Labour to vote for JC as leader. They, like most voters, could see he would make Labour unelectable. So Corbyn facilitated Brexit and an 80 seat Tory majority. Starmer gets my vote
To which my reply was "That's impressive long-term planning by your Tory friends, since in the first election with Corbyn as leader (2017) Labour gained 30 seats and cost the Tories their majority."

Should have put "Tory friends" in quotes, since they're probably as real as his uncle at Nintendo. The amount of Starmer-stanning at the moment is depressing. :smith:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Payndz posted:

To which my reply was "That's impressive long-term planning by your Tory friends, since in the first election with Corbyn as leader (2017) Labour gained 30 seats and cost the Tories their majority."

Should have put "Tory friends" in quotes, since they're probably as real as his uncle at Nintendo. The amount of Starmer-stanning at the moment is depressing. :smith:

Without googling to double check, Corbyn won across the board and would have won WITHOUT the £3 registered supporters (of which I was one) and the possibly tiny number of tories who joined (one of my brothers, a card-carrying tory did exactly this - in fact he did two, one in his wife's name).

Ed: why is only said of lefties: "s/he is a card-carrying member of the Communist/Labour/SWP/whatever party" and I never hear anyone except me say "s/he is a card-carrying member of the Tory/UKIP/Brexit/BNP/other proto-fascist party". Same with religions: you only ever here of devout roman catholics / muslims / jews / hindus. You never hear of 'devout anglicans' even though there are many.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Mar 3, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Without googling to double check, Corbyn won across the board and would have won WITHOUT the £3 registered supporters (of which I was one) and the possibly tiny number of tories who joined (one of my brothers, a card-carrying tory did exactly this - in fact he did two, one in his wife's name).

Not only without the £3 supporters - he won by a margin bigger than the entire net addition of members from the moment he announced.

(The *slightly* savvier version of that theory points at the big upswing in members at the end of Milliband's leadership and claims they're all the Trot entryists, but that was just a result of changing the status of some affiliated union members - remember when that and OMOV was meant to be the final end of the left of the party?)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

VideoGames posted:

I can imagine Sturgeon being forced out and the BBC cutting to a house in Scotland where Jo Swinson throws up her arms and cheers in mirror image to when Sturgeon did the same.

I can imagine Swinson doing it, but I can't imagine anyone having the slightest interest in her doing it.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Ed: why is only said of lefties: "s/he is a card-carrying member of the Communist/Labour/SWP/whatever party" and I never hear anyone except me say "s/he is a card-carrying member of the Tory/UKIP/Brexit/BNP/other proto-fascist party". Same with religions: you only ever here of devout roman catholics / muslims / jews / hindus. You never hear of 'devout anglicans' even though there are many.
Anglicans are catholic :colbert:

Serious answer though, the reason you don't hear that about tories because most prominent journalists (including literally all of the big names at the BBC) are or were card carrying members of the Tory party (in fact, most of them have actually held office in Tory-affiliated organisations). It'd be nice to see the BBC preface every article with "Prominent Tory activist Laura Kuenssberg/Nick Robinson/whomever claims that..." but, uh, I don't think they're gonna choose to do that.

Their viewpoint is just the default, obviously. It's all those other weirdos you've got to watch out for.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Rachel Riley is a card-carrying Tory, but the cards all have a single letter or number on them

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

You never really hear of devout Unitarians or Quakers or Lutherans or Evangelicals either, nor 'devout atheists' except in a tongue in cheek way.

Jews and Sikhs are more often portrayed as observant or practicing rather than 'devout', because there's more overt aspects of ethnicities as well as religions.

I'd guess it has something to do with negative social typing of certain groups as a proxy for ethnicity, someone can be seen as 'a Catholic' or 'a Muslim' just by being a certain type of brown or Irish person without necessarily being religious, so there's a social cue for dividing between 'people who actually go to church' and 'people we don't want at Pontins'.

When 'devout Presbyterian' gets used in that manner it's often as a stand in for 'miserable Scot/Ulsterman' or 'Gordon Brown' though.

Borrovan posted:

They don't carry cards though :colbert:

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I did the census yesterday and there was a bunch of questions about where you primarily work, with them making it very clear that you should answer based on your current setup (ie. covid-driven WFH) rather than where you work in normal times.

What use is that data? You'd think for a decennial census it's gonna give a very distorted and useless picture.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Or a once in a generation chance to see what people are actually doing during a pandemic that they can compare to the census before and after v:shobon:v

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Don't forget "card carrying" as a political term comes from the Red Scare in the US to describe communists, partly to show just how depraved they were to be an actual official commie, but mostly because everyone loves alliteration.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Borrovan posted:

Serious answer though, the reason you don't hear that about tories because most prominent journalists (including literally all of the big names at the BBC) are or were card carrying members of the Tory party (in fact, most of them have actually held office in Tory-affiliated organisations). It'd be nice to see the BBC preface every article with "Prominent Tory activist Laura Kuenssberg/Nick Robinson/whomever claims that..." but, uh, I don't think they're gonna choose to do that.

Their viewpoint is just the default, obviously. It's all those other weirdos you've got to watch out for.

Anglicans aren't ROMAN catholics though!

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Anglicans aren't ROMAN catholics though!
Some are :eng101:

(that'll teach me for posting whilst half-heartedly explaining to a very small group of students feigning technical issues that if they're not going to prepare for seminars I'm not going to teach them and they'll just have to come back tomorrow)

((I had also not prepared))

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Don't forget "card carrying" as a political term comes from the Red Scare in the US to describe communists, partly to show just how depraved they were to be an actual official commie, but mostly because everyone loves alliteration.

Also most Americans aren't formally members of a party and don't carry cards. Communists doing that is Weird and Different to them in a way it isn't to the many people in this thread who do now or have formerly had a little red card of their own in their wallet.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

peanut- posted:

I did the census yesterday and there was a bunch of questions about where you primarily work, with them making it very clear that you should answer based on your current setup (ie. covid-driven WFH) rather than where you work in normal times.

What use is that data? You'd think for a decennial census it's gonna give a very distorted and useless picture.

A census is explicitly a snapshot of the current situation, it's not meant to have people guessing what they might be doing five years from now. I'm reminded of a Terry Pratchett quote along the lines of 'We are here and here is now, and anything beyond that tends to devolve towards guesswork'.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Borrovan posted:

It's also because the Tory party has way fewer members right now - the way you get influence is by being a big donor, not being in the party structure.

Twas not always thus - the Tory party in the 1960s had over 2 million members thanks to youth and women's outreach groups among other things.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Wonder if I should still put jedi as my religion on the census. Seems a bit naff now.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

feedmegin posted:

Also most Americans aren't formally members of a party and don't carry cards. Communists doing that is Weird and Different to them in a way it isn't to the many people in this thread who do now or have formerly had a little red card of their own in their wallet.

Yeah, I don't really understand the US system at all despite having quite a few American friends. You register to vote for a party (but you don't have to) and you're not a member of the party or something. Lots of US things I don't really understand like sophomores and frat/sorority Greek letter clubs.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Mebh posted:

Wonder if I should still put jedi as my religion on the census. Seems a bit naff now.

I'm wondering the same. I put that on the 2001 census as did lots of others. But I was abroad for the 2011 census so didn't complete it.

Aren't you supposed to complete the census as things are on a specific date (21st March) at the place you will spend that night? I remember my nan visiting us once over census day (must have been 1971) and hiding in her room with the curtains shut in case the government saw her because she didn't want mum & dad whichever filled in the form to record her as being there.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Mar 3, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Can you not claim that your religion is the death of the capitalist class?

Nobody has ever asked me to do a census.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Can you not claim that your religion is the death of the capitalist class?

Nobody has ever asked me to do a census.

See, I knew you'd have a solution.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mebh posted:

Apparently the new FBPE hotness is putting 'European' as your ethnicity. If enough people do it then... something happens?

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Lots of US things I don't really understand like sophomores
We have plenty of those, you can identify them by their blue ticks.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Apparently the new FBPE hotness is putting 'European' as your ethnicity. If enough people do it then... something happens?

We have plenty of those, you can identify them by their blue ticks.

Having now googled the derivation of the word 'sophomore' I think I get your drift :D

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

How does the tracking of people who have or have not filled it work? Do you have to put in your name and stuff.

I'm just curious really, in part because I may have to travel for family reasons.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
They sent a letter to my house with a unique code to enter on the website. It then asks for your name and the names of anyone else who lives at your address.

I answered all the questions honestly and seriously because I am very boring.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
So if the budget does indeed include a windfall tax, would this place the richest man in Westminster firmly to the left of the Labour leader?

:ughh:

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I have some sympathy for Labour in that even if Sunak is trying to raise taxes, he’s not doing it to drive public spending and investment.

Rishi clearly wants to do fiscal responsibility, austerity 2 which is a catastrophically bad, discredited idea.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

peanut- posted:

austerity 2 which is a catastrophically bad, discredited idea.

But rich people kept getting richer the last time we tried it??

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I'm wondering the same. I put that on the 2001 census as did lots of others. But I was abroad for the 2011 census so didn't complete it.

Aren't you supposed to complete the census as things are on a specific date (21st March) at the place you will spend that night? I remember my nan visiting us once over census day (must have been 1971) and hiding in her room with the curtains shut in case the government saw her because she didn't want mum & dad whichever filled in the form to record her as being there.

I believe that's the rules, yeah. You answer for a specific date (unless they ask for how things have been the previous year, such as the working from home).

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

When I was living in Dublin a few years ago here (I think it was 2017) I got into a discussion with the census guy who was bringing the census forms to our apartment my (then) GF and I were renting
I had to arrange the date for him to collect the forms after we filled them out. He went off on a tangent about how the Government needs to enforce people people filling out the census and filling it out accurately.
It was a strange conversation, I'm glad I no longer live in the city.

feedmegin posted:

You know what organisation in America actually does carry cards? The NRA.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

peanut- posted:

I have some sympathy for Labour in that even if Sunak is trying to raise taxes, he’s not doing it to drive public spending and investment.

Rishi clearly wants to do fiscal responsibility, austerity 2 which is a catastrophically bad, discredited idea.

So make that case. Don't just mew tax rises bad. Argue for an increase in the top band of income tax while lowering VAT or another regressive flat tax. Something, anything. Take a loving stand.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Private Speech posted:

How does the tracking of people who have or have not filled it work? Do you have to put in your name and stuff.

I'm just curious really, in part because I may have to travel for family reasons.
It's by address, if you're not in on the day you just fill in the basic info and say "nobody was here".

I worked as a census collector last time round, they basically give you a list of addresses that haven't returned and you go door-to-door finding out what the deal was.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

For what it's worth, I would spend my UBI on lots of drugs.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

They don't carry cards though :colbert:

I sacrifice John the Baptist and The Holy Spirit to bring out The Son of God! :boom:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
They're going all out

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1366887706085773314?s=19

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Not really helping the case that the press are bastards.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If it destroys the relationship between the Windsors and MBS then on balance it's a good thing.

It won't tho :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Guavanaut posted:

If it destroys the relationship between the Windsors and MBS then on balance it's a good thing.

It won't tho :ssh:

https://twitter.com/kennardmatt/status/1367071257766813698?s=19