Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

BlindSite posted:

Hahaha that would depress me than cormac McCarthy's writing.

Not a series, but I recently read The 7.5 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton and loved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

Same. They're freaking amazing.

Only complaint was they randomly would mute themselves when I was mid clean, and ONLY HEAVY CLEANS I NEED THIS DEATH FROM ABOVE NOW MORE THAN EVER

love the error where you put them both in but only one plays sound, so you have to put 'em back and try again. but that's happening less frequently. and now moving between iPad and iPhone and even to my computer is working really well.

I just updated my phone (XS to 12) so I'm doing Apple's recycle program again, where they give you store credit for returning old devices. not getting enough back to make a big enough dent to make a laptop update worthwhile, but the last time I did this (recycling an old iPad and iPhone 6s) I got enough to get a Apple TV, so it's not for nothing.

also hey who else is surprised by this:

https://twitter.com/sa0un/status/1366757327102226442?s=20

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Every earbud I've ever tried slips out of my ears the moment I get sweaty on a run, so I bought these guys and haven't looked back.

https://us.aftershokz.com/products/air

Not great for sound fidelity since they don't sit in your ear, but drat are they comfortable, and I'll never accidentally yank a cord out of my ear (which I used to *hate* doing) again. I used to be a headphone jack-only guy but even with a Pixel 4a that has one I only ever use the aftershokz.

I know there are other similar styles of headphone that fit in the ear, too.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/MnDOT/status/1366854004995678208

Duck Duck orange truck is pretty good

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Where the hell are Mr. Plow and Plow King?

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Buzz Iceclear was robbed

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Still mad they refused to consider "Abolish ICE" even though it had the second-most votes

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

the Scottish do this as well and some of there's are inspired

https://twitter.com/gavmacn/status/1358397519198314498?s=20

Buzz Iceclear is in there

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

harperdc posted:

love the error where you put them both in but only one plays sound, so you have to put 'em back and try again. but that's happening less frequently. and now moving between iPad and iPhone and even to my computer is working really well.

I just updated my phone (XS to 12) so I'm doing Apple's recycle program again, where they give you store credit for returning old devices. not getting enough back to make a big enough dent to make a laptop update worthwhile, but the last time I did this (recycling an old iPad and iPhone 6s) I got enough to get a Apple TV, so it's not for nothing.

My wife was idly browsing through Clubhouse rooms the other day when we were in the car (mostly business/entrepreneur stuff), and after about 15 minutes I decided that everyone speaking in those rooms needed therapy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

harperdc posted:

Literally the first time I've even heard of Clubhouse.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

C-Euro posted:

My wife was idly browsing through Clubhouse rooms the other day when we were in the car (mostly business/entrepreneur stuff), and after about 15 minutes I decided that everyone speaking in those rooms needed therapy.

hard to forget that it originated as expanded group chat for Silicon Valley ghouls, and came to the fore specifically because they were bitching about tech press.

if you want to chat with the lads just use an existing app, or make a phone call. if you really want to hear what Elon Musk has to say listen to a podcast or a TED talk. I just don't see the need for this, especially since it's lining up to be another "Angel investors dump millions in up front and get everyone's personal data for ad revenues" play.

I think it launched in Japan recently because a couple of chat shows and news programs were covering it pretty thoroughly and I saw a few people I know online setup stuff there, but I just don't see the appeal.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Is Signal still good?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Able to get my first dose tomorrow (parents got their's today and sister should soon only my brother is left out because he is skinny)

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Skwirl posted:

Telling someone they need to watch 100 hours of television starring people they don't give a poo poo about so they can fully appreciate a brief cameo in a movie starring the people they actually give a poo poo about is really, really loving dumb.

DS9 is really good & I was just suggesting doing it that way to keep it temporally centered (and to prevent DS9 spoilers)

It's not "really, really loving dumb"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Spoeank posted:

DS9 is really good & I was just suggesting doing it that way to keep it temporally centered (and to prevent DS9 spoilers)

It's not "really, really loving dumb"

Deep Space 9 is good, and a good recommendation for someone that just binged TNG, saying they have to watch 100 hours of it before they watch First Contact is really loving dumb.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Why were the Next Gen movies so bad? I’ve seen all the RLM video which detail why each individual movie sucks but I don’t understand the macro issue of the general direction.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

https://twitter.com/QuirkyResearch/status/1367109253174091777

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Why were the Next Gen movies so bad? I’ve seen all the RLM video which detail why each individual movie sucks but I don’t understand the macro issue of the general direction.

Cause Paramount is loving dumb and sucks.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Well I guess skwirl is angrier about it so go with his suggestion

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Some of it isn’t their fault, it was Patrick Stewart who insisted on a dune buggy chase.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Skwirl posted:

Telling someone they need to watch 100 hours of television starring people they don't give a poo poo about so they can fully appreciate a brief cameo in a movie starring the people they actually give a poo poo about is really, really loving dumb.

Ross already said he intended to watch the TNG movies and DS9, people are just suggesting he watch them in a different order.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Just go straight to Discovery and Picard and face the music.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Skwirl posted:

Deep Space 9 is good, and a good recommendation for someone that just binged TNG, saying they have to watch 100 hours of it before they watch First Contact is really loving dumb.

How do you feel about people watching Marvel movies in timeline order? Does it also anger you? What about other shows? When is it okay? WHERE IS THE LINE?????????? STOP THE MADNESS

i'm just teasing xoxo

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

lol at Dems equivocating themselves into massive midterms losses.

It’s a shame the only party that pretends to care about human rights is full of sniveling, means-testing shitbags.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

3 DONG HORSE posted:

How do you feel about people watching Marvel movies in timeline order? Does it also anger you? What about other shows? When is it okay? WHERE IS THE LINE?????????? STOP THE MADNESS

i'm just teasing xoxo

Watch poo poo in whatever order you want to, I'm just opposed to essentially assigning people homework before they can watch something. My only issue, and I guess I came off harsher than I meant to, was with saying "you have to watch this before you watch that" especially when the "this" is 50 times longer than the "that."

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

LeeMajors posted:

It’s a shame the only party that pretends to care about human rights is full of sniveling, means-testing shitbags.

Feature not a bug

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Watch poo poo in whatever order you want to, I'm just opposed to essentially assigning people homework before they can watch something. My only issue, and I guess I came off harsher than I meant to, was with saying "you have to watch this before you watch that" especially when the "this" is 50 times longer than the "that."

Spoeank posted:

If you haven't seen them I'd recommend Generations, then the first 5 seasons of DS9 then First Contact

:confused:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It was a bad recommendation.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Saying that and completely mischaracterizing a friendly suggestion (that was also coorroborated) are two different things

Whatever happy Locutus of Borg page

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Which property has had a worse showing since 2000. Star Wars or Star Trek?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

LeeMajors posted:

Vote!

Skwirl posted:

Harsher than you meant to? You've posted numerous times how loving dumb it is that his opinion differs.

Fwiw watch whatever order you want but Spo is definitely correct if you want to see stuff in the order it should be. Or just do yourself a favor and forget those movies exist.

iwentdoodie fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 3, 2021

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

LeeMajors posted:

They really decided to give less people stimulus checks than Trump did lol

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I watched Generations.

Was Captain Kirk always like that because his scenes were the best in thr movie, especially the entire beginning

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Star Wars has basically redeemed itself with The Mandalorian.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Star Wars by a lot.

The Mandalorian was all right but no where near the ground breaking show everyone says it is.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Coco13 posted:

The Callahan series by Spider Robinson, starting with “Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon.” It’s a bunch of sci-if short stories about the regulars at Callahan’s bar, a Long Island joint that sees aliens, time travelers, and horrible puns.

That reminds me, two different series worth reading:

Niven's "Known Space" collection, including the Ringworld novels. Essentially, most everything Niven did was put in a shared universe (he even opened it up to other authors for an anthology series called The Man-Kzin Wars, a series of human/giant cat space wars that was ripped off for the Wing Commander video game and movie). Lot of good stuff in there.

Also, Ian Banks' novels on The Culture. Very good take on post-scarcity, a little bit of twee humor but not slathered with it like Douglas Adams.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Two of the prequels and all of the new trilogy came out since then, and the Trek reboot movies are better than most of those, on the other hand Nemesis is really, really bad and there isn't a post 2000 Trek show even half as good as Mandalorian.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Also, Generations and First Contact were fine. Generations does a great job bridging the two Captains, and the Borg is a great setpiece for First Contact.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

a neat cape posted:

I watched Generations.

Was Captain Kirk always like that because his scenes were the best in thr movie, especially the entire beginning

Yeah, Kirk is loving awesome and really under rated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

In no way a Star Wars fan, but it's Trek by a mile.

Star Wars has The Mandalorian and The Last Jedi, which is controversial but daring.

Trek has JJ Abrams lensflare reboots.