Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

fizzymercury posted:

You can pickle under-ripe watermelon. That's keto and really delicious. I never have ripe watermelons at the end of the season cause I pull them too soon for pickles.

How do you pickle 'em? I tried pickled watermelon rind one year and was disappointed in their lack of flavour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Those futurist recipes are some grade A shitposting.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Samovar posted:

How do you pickle 'em? I tried pickled watermelon rind one year and was disappointed in their lack of flavour.

quote:

Russian Watermelon Pickles (SPICY OR SWEETER)

1 3-4 lb. watermelon - or two unripe @ 2lbs each
1 bunch of dill NO stem
3-5 cloves garlic, peeled, do not chop
3-4 bay leaves (fresh if available)
2 Serrano chilies, halved -spicy
OR 2 jalapeno, seeded - sweeter
6 cups *filtered* water
¼ cup kosher salt
3T honey -spicy
OR 1/4 cup sugar -sweeter
2 Tbsp white -spicy
OR apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp peppercorns

Wash the watermelon very well, and then slice into desired pieces. (PEEL OUTER SKIN IF USING UNRIPE) I like mine about ¾-1” thick, and cut into small triangles with the rind still on.

In a large glass jar or ceramic crock big enough to hold the watermelon slices, place the dill, garlic, a few of the bay leaves, and the Serrano chili in the bottom. Layer the cut watermelon on top. If necessary, divide these ingredients among jars, and place the aromatics on the bottom of each jar.

In a medium pot, combine the water, salt, sugar, vinegar and peppercorns. Bring up to a simmer, and heat until the salt and sugar is just dissolved. Pour the liquid over the watermelon in the jar(s). Top with the remaining bay leaves and a little more dill if desired. If the watermelon is floating above the liquid, you can weigh the fruit down by placing a small plate inside the jar with something heavy on top.
Allow the mixture to fully cool, and then refrigerate. Pickles ready in 3 days, keep for ...

I don't remember where I got the recipe anymore, but it's very good.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Have a sip

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Buncha funny reefer men in this thread

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Taiwan, not Japan (the writing on the cup is obviously not Japanese)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
apujan is apparently a taiwanese high fashion designer lol

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

ookiimarukochan posted:

Taiwan, not Japan (the writing on the cup is obviously not Japanese)

They also have a stinky tofu flurry so you have to take the good with the bad

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

You can't fool me, those are just croutons from the Ruby Tuesday salad bar

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Whooping Crabs posted:

They also have a stinky tofu flurry so you have to take the good with the bad

Look all I'm saying is, could they not think of a better name for it

el blanco suave
Oct 27, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Is it supposed to look like something else? That's what it normally looks like afaik?

I don't know what else reconstituted hardened meat slurry shavings could possibly look like?

Yeah the meat to me looks totally fine, but I was put off by the guy producing it out of a lidded metal container like that.

IANA Halal Chef but usually that meat is sliced off the cob in a spot visible to the customer where it's kept hot and fresh, not pre-shredded and dump dinner'd out of a warm wet urn.

E: I see I've unleashed goon wrath upon myself. Halal is good and I like it fresh :shrug:

el blanco suave has a new favorite as of 20:35 on Mar 3, 2021

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

They're in those rotatey things to develop a nice brown on the outer edge. If you're working with volume it would make sense to prepare it ahead of time.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The sacred ritual of kebab meat preparation, lol. It's the same slab of pre-cooked horse, dude.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

el blanco suave posted:

Yeah the meat to me looks totally fine, but I was put off by the guy producing it out of a lidded metal container like that.

IANA Halal Chef but usually that meat is sliced off the cob in a spot visible to the customer where it's kept hot and fresh, not pre-shredded and dump dinner'd out of a warm wet urn.

I hate to break to you how much food from restaurants is kept in a hot/refrigerated for cold items dish on the line until plated

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Yeah, all the high-volume kebab shops I've been to in the UK have a dude tending to and slicing the eponymous kebabs into containers, they just dish up too many lbs of deliciously spiced solidified meat slurry an hour for individual slicing to be practicable, the meat definitely suffers for it though, ends up both more dry and greasy then when it's fresh sliced off the kebab, most West Coast US Gyro places tend to do fresh slices, and also go with more fresh veggies, and a yogurt based tzatziki sauce instead of a mayo based garlic sauce, hot sauce not an option.

Food carts in NY, which are the closest thing to a "kebab shop" are more true to the "digging meat strips out of grease" model.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
They do have some real kebab places in my area in brooklyn, but the halal carts use patties that they chop up with a scrapper on a flat top. I still like them, but the chicken that is usually cooked on the flat top is probably the better option.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I hate to break to you how much food from restaurants is kept in a hot/refrigerated for cold items dish on the line until plated

Can confirm. Source, have been cooking for around 15 years now. So, so much hot holding in my life.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
The best food at any restaurant are the greasy dregs of presliced gyro meat that's been holding for too long. On a pita with toum, tzaziki, extra onions and pickle.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

fizzymercury posted:

The best food at any restaurant are the greasy dregs of presliced gyro meat that's been holding for too long. On a pita with toum, tzaziki, extra onions and pickle.

even at McDonald's? :thunkin:

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I like the rubbery patties that have been there too long on my Big Mac. I just enjoy old meats.

I'm saying the best food I've ever had was that pita. And I had it a lot cause I worked there.

I ate a lot of toum.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

The best kebabby down my way fries all the meat up with onions & herbs & junk after slicing it off & puts it in a warmer whilst they sort the rest of the order out. Never seen anywhere else do it like that, but all their salads are homemade & sometimes half the menu is unavailable because their mum's napping, so I assume it's proper.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Maximized kebab technique is to cut a load off when the outside is excellently crispy and another layer down is well cooked so you basically get a mix of crispy bits and greasy bits to add to your heating bin. If noone specifies they get a mix. If they are regulars they ask for the crispy meats, the greasy meats, or else demand fresh and they get whatever the surface is then.

When you find maximum kebab you go there as often as you can because it is a beautiful and perfect place.

el blanco suave
Oct 27, 2010

zedprime posted:

Maximized kebab technique is to cut a load off when the outside is excellently crispy and another layer down is well cooked so you basically get a mix of crispy bits and greasy bits to add to your heating bin. If noone specifies they get a mix. If they are regulars they ask for the crispy meats, the greasy meats, or else demand fresh and they get whatever the surface is then.

When you find maximum kebab you go there as often as you can because it is a beautiful and perfect place.

:discourse:

Content:

el blanco suave has a new favorite as of 22:09 on Mar 3, 2021

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

I eat meals like this often, you're not about to get me shook looking at beans and veg.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Not think9ng about thos; beans

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

LifeSunDeath posted:

I eat meals like this often, you're not about to get me shook looking at beans and veg.

it's kind of Glorpy but yeah i eat something like that multiple times every week. humans are mostly water but the solid part of me is approx 75% beans.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

uber_stoat posted:

it's kind of Glorpy but yeah i eat something like that multiple times every week. humans are mostly water but the solid part of me is approx 75% beans.

and the non solid part? Pure bean water

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Anterior cingulate and putamen neurons flexibly learn whether a hot dog is a sandwich

published in a reputable scientific journal :bubblewoop:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

OH gently caress

even the goddamn meatballs are dyed green. loving gently caress.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Ah. that famous Nilbog hospitality

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

this just

no, absolutely not

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Spaghetti Blorgnase.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Spaghetti Blorgnase.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

eeeeyyyyyyy happy st patricks day, i made ya pasta and gravy!

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
mmmm spaghetti and mintballs

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Put some Orc on your fork

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Crème de menthe everything. Yum!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

fizzymercury posted:

I like the rubbery patties that have been there too long on my Big Mac. I just enjoy old meats.

The one time where this is true for me is sausages. Yeah, gimme the one that's been on the hot plate for so long that it's crunchy.

Possibly because sausages are only good when I can't loving taste them.