Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Apraxin posted:

Well, at least we're finally loving done with Brex-
https://twitter.com/Joe_Mayes/status/1367155099643097099

gently caress it, looks like i'm going to experience Troubles 2.0 as if the 1.0 wasn't bad enough. :jihad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

What the hell is the "large immobile gamete" thing from? I keep hearing it and I have no idea what it means unless you are a big egg and parliament lost the majority of its high profile eggs in the corbyn years.
The "biological sex is simple I studied it at GCSE" lot googled the definitions of male and female and found out that one of the ones used for reproduction is that males have small mobile gametes and females have large immobile gametes.

This works for things like explaining why male seahorses can get pregnant or how pine trees can have both dongers and lady parts, but is pretty much worse than useless for explaining any human interaction outside of the one immediate case where you want a babby form, not even any of the recreational stuff preceding that.

So of course they latched onto it like gospel truth and want large immobile gamete toilets.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I think it's incredibly dangerous to treat any "not guilty" verdict as anything other than innocent. Otherwise we might as well just have a Japanese system with a 99% conviction rate where being hauled in front of a judge is basically an automatic presumption of guilt regardless of evidence.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr9kHiwrYEQ

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Private Speech posted:

Is that even a presumption when he's been ruled not guilty? Excepting that one not proven charge obviously.

With Salmond (as with everyone charged of a crime in a common law jurisdiction) he does enjoy a presumption of innocence.

However he chose to give evidence, and even in his own words he admitted to doing certain things. Now it's very self serving his admissions (I think he described it as a "sleepy cuddle") And you could easily read his admissions as ones indicating the truth being far worse than what he admitted to.

But unlike someone charged with a crime, found not guilty and the evidence supports the notion that no crime ever happened, Salmond's situation sounds very much like stuff did happen.

And rather then see that he got lucky and should slink away from public life, Salmond has doubled down and accused there of being a conspiracy against himself organised by his political enemies and :females:

Sturgeon is right that at no point has Salmond expressed remorse for the hurt he has caused. Not even the "sorry I got caught" type.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

The "biological sex is simple I studied it at GCSE" lot googled the definitions of male and female and found out that one of the ones used for reproduction is that males have small mobile gametes and females have large immobile gametes.

This works for things like explaining why male seahorses can get pregnant or how pine trees can have both dongers and lady parts, but is pretty much worse than useless for explaining any human interaction outside of the one immediate case where you want a babby form, not even any of the recreational stuff preceding that.

So of course they latched onto it like gospel truth and want large immobile gamete toilets.

I would wager that I can throw an egg a lot further than I can throw sperm.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Apraxin posted:

Well, at least we're finally loving done with Brex-
https://twitter.com/Joe_Mayes/status/1367155099643097099

Wait a minute. The Government that said it would break International Law in a specific way has gone and reneged on the agreement it entered into?
Who could have predicted this?:monocle:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I would wager that I can throw an egg a lot further than I can throw sperm.
I'm glad that Easter is canceled this year.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

The Question IRL posted:

With Salmond (as with everyone charged of a crime in a common law jurisdiction) he does enjoy a presumption of innocence.

However he chose to give evidence, and even in his own words he admitted to doing certain things. Now it's very self serving his admissions (I think he described it as a "sleepy cuddle") And you could easily read his admissions as ones indicating the truth being far worse than what he admitted to.

But unlike someone charged with a crime, found not guilty and the evidence supports the notion that no crime ever happened, Salmond's situation sounds very much like stuff did happen.

And rather then see that he got lucky and should slink away from public life, Salmond has doubled down and accused there of being a conspiracy against himself organised by his political enemies and :females:

Sturgeon is right that at no point has Salmond expressed remorse for the hurt he has caused. Not even the "sorry I got caught" type.

And is any of this covered in the press? No, because it's "Sturgeon bad", in an attempt to assassinate her political career to derail independence.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

The annual Easter jizz roll always helped the community come together.

E: also the farthest an egg has been thrown without breaking is 323ft, which is kind of mind boggling, nearly a pitch length

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 3, 2021

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Kin posted:

And is any of this covered in the press? No, because it's "Sturgeon bad", in an attempt to assassinate her political career to derail independence.

It depends on which media you view it through.
The British media is going with a pro-Salmond view because they need to get rid of that Troublesome Scott who is trying to break apart the Union.
Most International media's report are "Salmond who was found Not Guilty by a jury, but admitted to having a sleepy cuddle" is journalist code for "he was acquited, but this is the type of guy he is."

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

The annual Easter jizz roll always helped the community come together.

E: also the farthest an egg has been thrown without breaking is 323ft, which is kind of mind boggling, nearly a pitch length

Is that record still held by Gary Lineker?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
"sleepy cuddle" will haunt my nightmares

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Kin posted:

Does the SNP have a plan for if she falls or is she going to do what the left in the rUK did when Corbyn got the boot? You know, just kind of fall down dead?

Also if she survives she knows she's gotta stick the knife in right?

edit: ok I guess what I should have asked was 'is she actually in any danger of getting the boot?' or is this just wishful thinking by the press?

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 3, 2021

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Kin posted:

Framing it as "Sturgeon did nothing wrong" is also kinda misleading, given that she met with a "not proven" sex crime doer to talk about his "not proven" sex crimes and then lied to parliament about it. Which seems pretty bad?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

If any TERF ever takes biology 201 and learns about protoandry/-gyny we are going to see so many angry Twitter posts about fish bathrooms.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Niric posted:

Framing it as "Sturgeon did nothing wrong" is also kinda misleading, given that she met with a "not proven" sex crime doer to talk about his "not proven" sex crimes and then lied to parliament about it. Which seems pretty bad?

Which is why the newspapers are doing it because deliberate obfuscation of context makes it seem much worse than it actually is.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Is that record still held by Gary Lineker?

I don't know enough about Gary Linekers jizz, sorry

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
This would have been every train if Corbyn got elected :sigh:

https://twitter.com/archer_rs/status/1367130535852662792?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Didn't know the cat was in extinction rebellion tbh.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Kin posted:

Which is why the newspapers are doing it because deliberate obfuscation of context makes it seem much worse than it actually is.

Why is lying to parliament about meeting someone accused of sex crimes to talk about those sex crimes not actually a bad thing to do?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Niric posted:

Why is lying to parliament about meeting someone accused of sex crimes to talk about those sex crimes not actually a bad thing to do?

There's bad and then there's resignation bad. When it comes to Sturgeon the press seem to have conveniently forgotten the standard they've established with the tories aka killing 150,000 people is fine, actually

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Niric posted:

Isn't it more nuanced than that? My understanding of the issue was (and I might be totally wrong here, so do correct me if so):
Sturgeon meets with an aide of Salmond in her office in parliament, and according to her, he mentions that Salmond is on the verge of quitting the SNP over allegations against him.
A few days later, Sturgeon meets with Salmond in her house and he discusses the allegations with her. She claims that in this meeting Salmond asked her to interfere in the enquiry, which she refused to do.

Neither meeting was recorded or disclosed at the time.

Later, news of the meeting at Sturgeon's house is uncovered. Sturgeon at the time tells parliament that this meeting was the first she had learned of the nature and seriousness of the allegations. She maintains that she met Salmond in her capacity as the leader of the SNP, not as First Minister, so as internal party business, there was no requirement to disclose.

Later still, news of the first meeting with the aide comes out. Here the issue is that it suggests Sturgeon lied that the first she learned about the allegations was in her meeting with Salmond (which is where the lying to parliament claim comes from), and also, because the meeting was in her office, it should have been recorded and disclosed. Sturgeon's answer to this is that the shock of the meeting at her home, both in what Salmond had done and what he was asking her to do, was so significant that she forgot the meeting with Salmond's aide. As to why it wasn't recorded, Sturgeon claims that it was not a formal meeting, the aide just showed up at parliament and they spoke only briefly, not for a sufficient length of time for her to have considered it anything more than a brief encounter where a message that she took as essentially "Alex wants to speak to you, he's very upset" was delivered, and so it did not rise to the level of a meeting that required disclosure.

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 3, 2021

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Guavanaut posted:

We'll still get the annual "CADBURY'S CENSOR THE WORD EASTER AND SELL "HOLIDAY EGGS" IN KOWTOW TO MUSLIMS"

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Last Easter was the greatest Easter ever. The first lockdown had just started, Tesco was deserted, and I bought four huge Lindor Easter eggs on Easter Monday for £2 each. My only regret is that I didn't buy more.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Flayer posted:

I think it's incredibly dangerous to treat any "not guilty" verdict as anything other than innocent. Otherwise we might as well just have a Japanese system with a 99% conviction rate where being hauled in front of a judge is basically an automatic presumption of guilt regardless of evidence.

oh, is that what the cardassian legal system in deep space nine was based on

anyway, I think it's possible to recognise the difficulty in convicting sexual assault charges without completely switching to that system. Like, if we say that not being found guilty means that Salmond is definitely innocent then we start opening up the possibility of saying his accusers are definitely lying, which is a bad road to go down (which of course a bunch of the unholy alliance of Wings-reading online chuds have already leant heavily into). like yeah, it's not feasible to actually do anything against a person who's been found not guilty, but like... it doesn't mean he definitely didn't do the specific bad things

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you start belieivng that the state is a true and fair arbiter of all wrongdoing then you end up with starmer variant brainworms.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Niric posted:

basically the UK government has been undermining any kind of ministerial responsibility for so long that its now passing over to the SNP too. nicola obviously isnt gonna resign since nobody with any clout in the UK government resigns over anything now and she can just go "well HE didn't resign" at any number of ministers in westminster.

we're basically seeing this stuff corrode away any sense of responsibility any UK government has in real time

she does have some sorta reality distortion field of her own going on though, scotlands covid response has been complete poo poo but shes escaped utterly unscathed and with compliments so far

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Angepain posted:

like yeah, it's not feasible to actually do anything against a person who's been found not guilty, but like... it doesn't mean he definitely didn't do the specific bad things
Yes. I'm fine with saying that the state can't do criminal sanction against a person unless they are found beyond reasonable doubt to have done the bad thing, but I don't think anybody would accept "definitely not a nonce, have been found not to be a nonce five times by a jury of my peers, that's five times more than most babysitters" to be a good qualification, and similar can apply to other interpersonal offenses like domestic violence, sexual assault, etc.

There's a whole wide gulf between provable guilt to criminal standards and someone being a good person, and the big hazard there is that absent a rigorous standard of evidence people will let their own prejudices slide in, like "they're gay/Muslim/Scottish so..." which is bad, but the solution to that is to educate against those prejudices rather than either extreme of demanding weaker evidentiary standards or accepting courts as the only arbiters of any and all guilt, criminal and social.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

e: ^ you stole my example, from the past :(

Angepain posted:

oh, is that what the cardassian legal system in deep space nine was based on

anyway, I think it's possible to recognise the difficulty in convicting sexual assault charges without completely switching to that system. Like, if we say that not being found guilty means that Salmond is definitely innocent then we start opening up the possibility of saying his accusers are definitely lying, which is a bad road to go down (which of course a bunch of the unholy alliance of Wings-reading online chuds have already leant heavily into). like yeah, it's not feasible to actually do anything against a person who's been found not guilty, but like... it doesn't mean he definitely didn't do the specific bad things
Yeah the presumption of innocence is very important in criminal justice but absolutely should not be treated as meaning "they definitely didn't do it", because that means treating a bunch of people who are very probably a danger to women/children/whomever as not being that, because "very probably" is not enough for a criminal conviction.

To take a legalistic example, it sometimes happens that someone will be found not guilty in criminal proceedings ("beyond reasonable doubt") but then successfully sued in the civil courts ("balance of probability", i.e., more likely than not). There's not enough evidence to justify the complete denial of liberty, but enough to say "they probably did it so they've got to pay damages".

To take a less legalistic example, if someone was found not guilty of a dozen independent child sex offences, I'm not going to hire them as a babysitter. If someone gets accused of abusing their partners, it's absolutely right to believe the victims, and exclude probable abusers from settings where they can cause harm. It doesn't translate into criminal justice, because the complete denial of liberty is a big loving deal and should not be done unless it's all but certain (if then :anarchists:), but the fact of the matter is that domestic abuse and sexual offences are incredibly hard to prove beyond reasonable doubt because they happen behind closed doors, and that does not mean that we should tell victims to just deal with it.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Communist Thoughts posted:

scotlands covid response has been complete poo poo

Care to expand on this?

A quick google of "scotland poor covid response" seems to come back with positive indicators for the approach taken up here.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

The Perfect Element posted:

Last Easter was the greatest Easter ever. The first lockdown had just started, Tesco was deserted, and I bought four huge Lindor Easter eggs on Easter Monday for £2 each. My only regret is that I didn't buy more.

yep

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Scotland's covid response has been pretty poo poo but still a bit less poo poo than England, which is often mistaken for being actually good. see also, everything else about Scotland

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Kin posted:

Care to expand on this?

A quick google of "scotland poor covid response" seems to come back with positive indicators for the approach taken up here.

scotland has more deaths per case than england and did the same thing with letting care homes take it on the chin
there was also that 2 week period where people were dying of covid but sturgeon was telling everyone how relieved she was that nobody was dying in scotland (which i think was actually not her lying, just misinformed)

adjusting for population scotland has similar rates of infection and deaths as england, though less overall deaths despite a worse rate of deaths to cases

but sturgeons messaging has always looked competent, even if every time shes just announcing bojo's measures anyway, and thats what seems to count for the media

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Can't believe people are exciting about buying boxes which are about 20% chocolate in them by weight. Absolute scam, just buy mini or creme eggs or thin chocolate sheets.

Kin posted:

Care to expand on this?

They're still part of the UK (for now.....)

https://ig.ft.com/coronavirus-chart...1&values=deaths

namesake fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 3, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

namesake posted:

Can't believe people are exciting about buying boxes which are about 20% chocolate in them by weight. Absolute scam, just buy mini or creme eggs or thin chocolate sheets.

That's why you wait til it's about £10/kg or less, then you strike

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's why you only buy them when they're 20% price too.

E: ^ :argh:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

namesake posted:

They're still part of the UK (for now.....)

https://ig.ft.com/coronavirus-chart...1&values=deaths

There is other reasons to buy Easter Eggs. Like the calibre of chocolate.

For instance if you want to eat Cadbury's chocolate, you can buy a bar of it. But it will contain wheat or traces of wheat because of the manufacturing conditions.

Where as the Cadbury's egg is made of the same chocolate but doesn't have wheat or traces of it. (Must be made in a different factory.)

So if you are a Coeliac this is a big deal.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Ewan posted:

I'm honestly curious to hear what Starmer's response to all of this is going to be.

Set aside political alignment, this budget is pretty much what most progressives would be after (within the limits of what is realistic). Fund a big package of stimulus spending through capital gains, corporation tax, pensions, inheritance tax etc and done in a way designed not to hit small or struggling businesses, and freeze most of the regressive taxes like VAT, duties, etc.

the lrb pointed out the US stimulus, scaled down to UK size, would be £200bn. rishi is promising a much less adequate amount even if you include furlough and terrific ideas like eat out to help out

one option open to starmer is to say it's not a big package and we should be borrowing a lot more rather than raising taxes. another is to say we should be being bolder and going further without going into specifics. but realistically i dont think 10% care what labour's response is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh gently caress I could sell .303 caliber chocolate to commemorate war christmas.

Full of caramel with a primer made of pop rocks.