Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

LawfulWaffle posted:

Someone mentioned Enter the Gungeon here a few weeks ago and that reignited my interest in the game. I was going strong with it for a while, having killed the past for the Marine and the Convict, but I feel like so much has been added since then. Synergies between weapons and items, new NPCs and enemies, mini bosses.

I’ve been trying to get a clear with the Pilot but his starting load out kind of sucks. Two nights ago, when I picked it back up for the first time in over a year, I barely made it to the second chamber reliably. Last night I made it to the Dragun twice, but couldn’t seal the deal. The last time was particularly brutal, since I had a hell of a load out but only two full hearts. Got him down to 1/3 then stupidly switched to a weapon with a bunch of kickback and got myself killed.

My success rate for getting deeper has gone up a ton once I stopped trying to go through the oubliette and just use keys on chests to get a better starting gun.

Game still good

The Pilot has the worst starting weapon but his Lockpicks are great for saving keys when it comes to brown and blue chests. Easy way to the Oubliette with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Yeah but going to the Oubliette is a trap pick if I’m really just trying to kill the past. I don’t need another floor or enemies and a boss, I need better guns.

After I finish with the Pilot and the Hunter I can refocus on true ending stuff, right now I just need to seal the deal with the Dragun.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I was playing valheim and made a server and like 5 friends were logging on and it was super fun and then I completely lost interest because one friend was like "my boyfriend's got an endgame server and he said I could take everything from his base and I did and it's on your server now" and then the boyfriend came to my server with his level 100000 stuff and just wrecked everything and randomly threw gifts at people and I was like, "this is fun..." and never logged into my server again. And we'd just found the trader, too. (the boyfriend somehow saw it from like 5 minutes running distance away from it, even though he'd never been there, and marked it on his map for everyone?) so yeaaaahhhhh, yuck, don't let it happen to you. I think maybe my friend and I have different playstyles and what's fun for her isn't fun for me, but I'd never even encountered that 'problem' before. Even if I don't use any of that stuff, I also don't really care about the game any more.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

redreader posted:

I was playing valheim and made a server and like 5 friends were logging on and it was super fun and then I completely lost interest because one friend was like "my boyfriend's got an endgame server and he said I could take everything from his base and I did and it's on your server now" and then the boyfriend came to my server with his level 100000 stuff and just wrecked everything and randomly threw gifts at people and I was like, "this is fun..." and never logged into my server again. And we'd just found the trader, too. (the boyfriend somehow saw it from like 5 minutes running distance away from it, even though he'd never been there, and marked it on his map for everyone?) so yeaaaahhhhh, yuck, don't let it happen to you. I think maybe my friend and I have different playstyles and what's fun for her isn't fun for me, but I'd never even encountered that 'problem' before. Even if I don't use any of that stuff, I also don't really care about the game any more.

Wherein a gamer has their godly plate of the whale moment late in life

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnAWQz34PJs

New Jacob Geller video does a way better job of explaining why Dark Souls 3 sticks with me than I ever could. Really interesting video.

It's fun to see an interpretation of the story based entirely on what you get by playing through, taking it all in, and "running on vibes" as he puts it.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 3, 2021

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

redreader posted:

I’m with ya. It’s partly an exploration game and I wouldn’t want any shortcuts like that

I’m playing it much more like a standard co-op game, where me and my friend are progressing through the game at the same time. I took an extra 30 minutes while he was busy with work to upgrade my stuff a little but that should be fair

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I like that my Valheim server has people who take things chill and slow. I pop in every few days and see progress on our little compound, we try to schedule boss fights together, people post about having excess iron or silver and willing to share resources with the group. One guy just keeps a kitchen well stocked, he made little rooms for everyone with beds and chest filled with food and potions.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, I remember that happening on a Minecraft server. You had our town which had a bunch of buildings most people had built with blood, sweat, and tears and also one building a modder had built with huge piles of super rare endgame stuff

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah it's just not possible to do that in most games without modding or hacks or whatever, and we normally play Don't Starve Together and it's not even an issue that it can happen at all, but as soon as valheim comes around with 'you only have one character and can transfer as much as you can carry between servers, as many times as you want' you will start to see what your friends are REALLY like.

And some of them are bad. (Not really, honestly I think we just find different things fun! But it sucks to find out this way)

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Yeah that would annoy me too. It’s the same with Animal Crossing; I broke the game turniping and started over so I could play it the right way. My brother offered me some of his 2m bells last night but I turned him down.

Different than someone just showing up on your server and wrecking house with gifts though

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

it'd be nice in real life at least

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

redreader posted:

I joined a random friend server on a whim and within seconds of wandering around I picked up some iron nails, which I didn't have the tech to make yet. I immediately alt+f4'd in a panic hoping it wouldn't save, but it did. I'm caught up now, but it was a little bit of a spoil. Made a second character for that sort of thing now but am holding off on any other servers till I've uncovered the game for myself.

I think it's a well established dick move to pop into someone's game and dump and the endgame poo poo on them, plenty of a games where ther work of getting to that end stuff is the joy itself. Wanna know what thickheaded thoughts were going on for the gf and bf in this story.

it does sound like this high level person was using something to spot stuff from afar, but marking it on everyone's map is just what happens whenever someone first uncovers him. My buddy got the icon even though I found trader while he was offline.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
i've mostly quit playing those sorts of survival games with my friends because several are the 'hell grind with guide for maximum efficiency then dump all of the progress on you from square one' types. i've never gotten into deep rock galactic despite thinking it looks really cool because the friend who is most into it is the type to drag you by the collar into endgame ASAP instead of just playing with you. I appreciate the sentiment for sure but find it obnoxious to actually play that way.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Valheim is cool. I like how it encourages cooperation while also letting each person sort of forge their own path. Like, you spend a few days bow-hunting food for the group and now you're better at archery for the next time you all go fight a boss.

It's cool.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Khanstant posted:

I joined a random friend server on a whim and within seconds of wandering around I picked up some iron nails, which I didn't have the tech to make yet. I immediately alt+f4'd in a panic hoping it wouldn't save, but it did. I'm caught up now, but it was a little bit of a spoil. Made a second character for that sort of thing now but am holding off on any other servers till I've uncovered the game for myself.

I think it's a well established dick move to pop into someone's game and dump and the endgame poo poo on them, plenty of a games where ther work of getting to that end stuff is the joy itself. Wanna know what thickheaded thoughts were going on for the gf and bf in this story.

it does sound like this high level person was using something to spot stuff from afar, but marking it on everyone's map is just what happens whenever someone first uncovers him. My buddy got the icon even though I found trader while he was offline.

She's relatively new to gaming so I think she's got to take time to find out what is fun and what isn't. I remember using 'idkfa' in doom or whatever as a kid, and then realising 'it sucks the fun out of everything'. Her bloodborne playstyle is 'ok we all set a server password and you go into my world and we will do the entire level together and kill the boss, then I will go into your world and do the entire level from the start and kill the boss, and then we do it for the next level and the next level and' so she plays the entire game with friends. I think it's more about the social aspect of hanging out with people and less about the actual game. But maybe she just hasn't discovered yet that it's fun to not do that stuff. Or maybe it is fun for her. Her boyfriend is a well established gamer guy who plays tons of games, has for ages, is not young, and should know this. But it wasn't really him dumping the stuff from the server, it was her idea. IDK if he was cheating or not to find the trader, maybe someone who has got to the current end of valheim can tell me if there's a 'poi locator from afar' that you get later on. If not he was definitely cheating.

"the trader just popped up for me, I don't know man"

PantsBandit posted:

Valheim is cool. I like how it encourages cooperation while also letting each person sort of forge their own path. Like, you spend a few days bow-hunting food for the group and now you're better at archery for the next time you all go fight a boss.

It's cool.

OR the boyfriend arrives and throws sausages and potions at everyone, and then someone is like "I got all the stuff to make cauldrons from my boyfriends server" and I'm like "what is is a cauldron" etc etc.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Yeah imo the ideal way to play games like that is to enforce that everyone starts at square 1 and progresses at a similar pace.

I mean, gradual progression is basically the entirety of the gameplay for survival games.

Mr BF is literally robbing you of the game by doing that poo poo.

I guess the lesson to learn is don't play with people who you aren't comfortable with enough to smack-down when they're being dense.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

redreader posted:

Her bloodborne playstyle is 'ok we all set a server password and you go into my world and we will do the entire level together and kill the boss, then I will go into your world and do the entire level from the start and kill the boss, and then we do it for the next level and the next level and' so she plays the entire game with friends.

This rules btw

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This rules btw

You didn't just cheat the game you cheated yourself etc etc

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

PantsBandit posted:

I guess the lesson to learn is don't play with people who you aren't comfortable with enough to smack-down when they're being dense.

Yeah I literally didn't know this was going to be an issue at all, and honestly I don't think I'll bring it up because she's VERY MUCH not doing well at all right now.

edit: VVV "Helping friends!" is my guess.

redreader fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 3, 2021

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

At that point why even play a new server if the one server is already endgame and you're just going to bring all the endgame stuff over to the new one. Just keep playing the endgame server?

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

redreader posted:

IDK if he was cheating or not to find the trader, maybe someone who has got to the current end of valheim can tell me if there's a 'poi locator from afar' that you get later on. If not he was definitely cheating

You don't get a locator or anything, there actually is a large radius around the merchant and if you enter it his icon gets added to the map.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://mobile.twitter.com/sharkstomeetyou/status/1367223145137078281

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I always considered Graffiti the most honest artistic expression

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Probably done by the same person that photographed it for internet points, says my grumpy cynical heart

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
DON'T BOWSETTE OPEN INSIDE

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
the seemingly default anti-graffiti stance of so many cities of the world is really perplexing to me. I'm not even talking about the graffiti that's literally just nice beautiful visual art, like, gently caress anyone against that, but the lovely little scrawls. OH no, a plain concrete wall got "Defaced" this city looks so horrible now that the lovely cheapass poorly maintained wall now has some paint on it ;_; Better pay someone to come repaint over this paint with paint. There are obviously some bad places to tag, someone elses art, private property windows or whatever, but blank infrastructure is fair game canvas to anyone and anything. To make an area illegal to tag in, someone should first have to commission or paint that area with art themselves first.

the most absurd version I recall of this was a relatively recent outcry against some people painting some rock out in the wilderness... people actually mad about a rock getting some paint on it!! Wait till these busybody worrywarts here about the caves in spain in france, all that nasty caveman thug graffitti, what kind of savages would do that to a rock!? Is nothing sacred lmbo

Weedle
May 31, 2006

it's always a treat to drive past a freight train on the expressway and get a load of all the big bright tags all over the cars

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Khanstant posted:

the most absurd version I recall of this was a relatively recent outcry against some people painting some rock out in the wilderness... people actually mad about a rock getting some paint on it!! Wait till these busybody worrywarts here about the caves in spain in france, all that nasty caveman thug graffitti, what kind of savages would do that to a rock!? Is nothing sacred lmbo

you’re an idiot

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

you’re an idiot

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I don't agree with the "you should be able to spray paint whatever on any blank wall" but at least I see the perspective.

Don't deface nature, y'all. It's not ok.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Triglav is pretty cool thanks for the rec

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

[looking at a rock with a smilie face drawn on it]

"this is absolutely disgusting"

[goes back to my truck so I can haul seven hundred gallons of battery acid to the nearest lake]

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
"don't deface nature" says invasive species best known for their total and complete defacing of nature to the point of a self-created mass extinction event, those rocks in particular are sacred

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

[looking at a rock with a smilie face drawn on it]

"this is absolutely disgusting"

[goes back to my truck so I can haul seven hundred gallons of battery acid to the nearest lake]

Multiple things can be bad.

I frankly can't believe there's even two sides to this issue lol.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
billboard for drugs in distracting places by the highway and also literally anywhere else you look in the city: cool.

some dyngus scribbled with a paint marker on a trash can: not okay!!!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Sorry but the opinion that spray painting rocks out in nature is cool and good is a bad one and you should feel bad for having it.

The idea behind being tough on graffiti is something called broken windows policing.

wikipedia posted:

The broken windows theory is a criminological theory that states that visible signs of crime, anti-social behavior, and civil disorder create an urban environment that encourages further crime and disorder, including serious crimes.

Like most policing theories it disproportionately targets poor and minority neighborhoods, surprise surprise.

e: I am generally pro graffiti as long as it's not racist poo poo or impacting safety, don't tag a stop sign or draw a swastika on a retaining wall but do draw cool pictures and sign your name is big bubble letters.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 3, 2021

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

PantsBandit posted:

Multiple things can be bad.

I frankly can't believe there's even two sides to this issue lol.

Do you think we are arguing in favor of littering/polluting or do you not understand that we are pointing out that it's silly to get outraged at something so unimportant when you look at it in any sort of larger perspective

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

You guys are absolutely right, we should lean into "humanity ruins everything" and make it so you literally can't go anywhere without being reminded that Big DeeLo totally owns this cliff-face.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Do you think we are arguing in favor of littering/polluting or do you not understand that we are pointing out that it's silly to get outraged at something so unimportant when you look at it in any sort of larger perspective

I mean, Khanstant literally sounds like he thinks spray-painting rocks is cool and fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
How many of the pro-graffiti folks here own any property? Just wondering.