Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man
Universal's Epic Universe construction has officially restarted.

https://twitter.com/GabrielleRusson/status/1367096970620395524

Message to Team members from Tom Williams, the CEO of Universal Parks and Resorts:

Dear Team Members,
I hope you and your families are healthy and well. Because of your great work, we already have much to look forward to this year. There is Super Nintendo World at Universal Studios Japan, the Jurassic World: Velocicoaster at Universal Orlando, the opening of Universal Beijing Resort – and the opportunity to reopen Universal Studios Hollywood.
Today, I’m happy to share that we’re resuming work on our new Orlando theme park, Universal’s Epic Universe. As you know, the project had been paused while we focused on managing our business through the pandemic. The restart will begin immediately – but will take several months before reaching full-speed as we re-staff and reassemble our vendor and contractor teams.
The vision for Epic Universe is historic. It will be the most immersive and innovative theme park we have ever created and will feature a new theme park, an entertainment center, hotels, shops and restaurants. It will be located on a separate 750-acre site just a few minutes away from Universal Orlando.
All of this is great news for our business, our communities – and each of you. And none of it would be possible without the heroic and great work you have done over the past year. Because of you, our confidence in the future has never been stronger.Thank you, and please stay safe.

https://media.universalorlando.com/press-releases/work-resumes-on-epic-universe/

Atricks fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lol Disney can’t even finish one ride while universal makes one ride and a whole park

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Empress Brosephine posted:

Lol Disney can’t even finish one ride while universal makes one ride and a whole park

:jerkbag:

Disney can complete their new rides. They don't want to open them this year. They want to open them when they can market them as part of the back to normal post Covid.

And Epic Universe isn't going to be open for years.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Zero One posted:

post Covid.

poo poo we aren't getting a new Disney ride until 2525?

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Disney has and will probably always be the reason people go to Florida so they get away with the delays. I’d wager that a significant portion of the people who visit the resort have no clue what there is to do minus the Magic Kingdom staples (and the stuff that’s been booked on MyMagic+ I guess).

Universal would delay new attractions if it could get away with it as well but it’s always fighting to pull people from Disney.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

They're still doing stuff to Tron and Guardians. Those are also rides and not a giant theme park. Epic Universe is probably like minimum 2024 for some parts of it.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

as someone new to this stuff, Universal seems like its only important to locals and zoomers who grew up on Harry Potter

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/Blog_Mickey/status/1367131933222842371

New Epcot BGM, RIP to my king

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbaU8Mv36XU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

alg posted:

as someone new to this stuff, Universal seems like its only important to locals and zoomers who grew up on Harry Potter

basically. and thrill ride people who like screens.

:smith:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Pavillion logo flags :love:

Edit: Photos.
https://twitter.com/wdwmagic/status/1367135129894854657?s=21

Zero One fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 3, 2021

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man

alg posted:

Not really anymore, there's a lot they do better than Disney these days. But it's still #2 in the area, and definitely worth going to.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

So far that Innoventions loop hasn't been replaced, just the main entrance loop. Though its days are obviously numbered.

Atricks posted:

Not really anymore, there's a lot they do better than Disney these days. But it's still #2 in the area, and definitely worth going to.

I do enjoy both resorts, and yes I have plenty of criticisms for Disney, and I have worked at both. But for every thing Universal does better than Disney, there's two things they do worse, such as service, cleanliness (Universal is several notches below even SeaWorld in this department), food quality, character encounters (pre-covid), general upkeep - while Universal typically keeps their ride effects working better than Disney, the parks themselves are quite beat up if you look for the details even slightly.

Universal also attracts a lot of the trashier locals due to their perception as "the adult theme park" and cheaper annual passes than Disney. Teenagers and early twenty-somethings tend to prefer Universal, but all other age groups skew toward Disney.

But that said, if you've never been to Universal, you still owe it to yourself to go, as they have some excellent world-class rides.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

HHN is always such a super cool thing too and I still don't get why Disney doesn't try to compete with it in some way. Guess because they don't need to.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Tim Whatley posted:

HHN is always such a super cool thing too and I still don't get why Disney doesn't try to compete with it in some way. Guess because they don't need to.

They do compete with it, just with a different type of product (Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party at $100/pop).

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah I just mean elevated. I like Not So Scary but I probably don't need to go again unless they change it up. I've done it like 4 times and it's more or less the same thing. When I went to DL, I went to the first Oogie Boogie Bash and I thought it was incredible. The walk through experiences were way way better than what MNSSHP does and I think they could take that and make "houses" out of them but family friendly. I'd pay more for that. But again, they don't need to because they sell most of them out as they are.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Tim Whatley posted:

How much would people pay for a single haunted house in the style of the Epic Mickey concept art

It's not $0.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Disney could do a family-friendly walkthrough house type event, but yeah it's definitely more of a case of "they don't need to." For Universal Orlando, HHN is by far and wide their biggest annual moneymaker, which is why they go all out on it. Orlando's HHN houses are even more detailed and intense than Universal Hollywood's where you'd think they'd have an even bigger budget, but their houses are comparatively tame.

Another issue is Disney doesn't have a whole bunch of soundstages and structures to build the houses in like Universal does, and such a setup also requires building queues in backstage areas, something Disney tries their best to make sure you don't see while it's more of an afterthought at Universal.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Disney has run Halloween events for adults in Paris and Hong Kong I believe.

There’s some images floating around of one of the Frankenstein toys from Toy Story at at the entrance to Hong Kong’s Toy Story Land.

The Paris event only ran for a couple of nights a year and used one of the theatres in the studio park.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
MNSSHP has always been about the costumes for me. If my wife says we are going to it next trip, I start planning costume ideas. It is hands down my favorite ticketed event, and is way better than the Christmas party if you ask me.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

So far that Innoventions loop hasn't been replaced, just the main entrance loop. Though its days are obviously numbered.
:smith:

Epcot entrance loop is like the most memorable non-Sherman song at WDW. The whole triumphant fanfare always felt fitting as someone who would fly across the whole country and would want to start the trip at a park that isn’t Disneyland 2 The Embiggening.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The Soarin music is the best modern park song and fits the rest of EPCOT really well.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Spotify playlist for new Epcot entrance music: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4sAQbdOzlS8XBUiARsdb7h?si=0ee38e2102034201

Apple Music version: https://music.apple.com/us/playlist/epcot-entrance-music/pl.u-PZ0BtXWeo6

I really like it. Feels like who ever compiled it "gets it".

Edit: after listening through all of it. It's good, but perhaps a bit "generic"?

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 3, 2021

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
They had a dope DCA Halloween event last year. At least it looked dope. From videos. Because I couldn't get tickets :[

Also, dear disney. Skyliner from AKL to DAK. Do itttttt

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

BlueBayou posted:

They had a dope DCA Halloween event last year. At least it looked dope. From videos. Because I couldn't get tickets :[

one day, when I buy the parks and control the world, the first thing going is that terrifying frickin skyliner.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The skyliner is awesome.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

one day, when I buy the parks and control the world, the first thing going is that terrifying frickin skyliner.

good stay off it and make room for those of us who aren't cowards, landlubber

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
skyliner should give guests a throttle control.

people mover too.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

BlueBayou posted:

I went to it! It was a ton of fun!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Skyliner is about 1000% more exciting than Hogwarts Express and doesn't even require a park ticket, much less a park hopper.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Hazo posted:

good stay off it and make room for those of us who aren't cowards, landlubber

lbr it's more like landblubber and I am 100% sure I would bounce if I died on that fuckin' thing

couldcareless posted:

Skyliner is about 1000% more exciting than Hogwarts Express and doesn't even require a park ticket, much less a park hopper.

don't give them any ideas

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

This might be a odd question but do we have a thread for trading Disney pins? My wife recently started collecting those and it's not easy finding Toy Story pins even on E-Bay or just generally online.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
https://mobile.twitter.com/derekburgan/status/1367279747579928579

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah but the new music is here, now. The park is three years away, minimum. We also already knew that but the new music was a surprise.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

BlueBayou posted:

They had a dope DCA Halloween event last year.
I didn't get to go to the event, but I was on a trip down there during it and they put up the projection stuff early.

I probably shouldn't have paid $22 for a very mediocre drink, but I wanted those drat Oogie dice cubes.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Bottom Liner posted:

The Soarin music is the best modern park song and fits the rest of EPCOT really well.

The instrumental version of the America song without the :911: lyrics, the Rocketeer song...

To be honest I'm mostly okay with the new music in segments but a Disney park entrance that isn't this medley of familiar themes from the rides contained within is weird.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
How do the virtual lines work at Universal? Is it like (Disneyland) Rise where you have to be there at rope drop or no dice? Or is it more like fast pass?

stabbity
Sep 28, 2004

BlueBayou posted:

How do the virtual lines work at Universal? Is it like (Disneyland) Rise where you have to be there at rope drop or no dice? Or is it more like fast pass?

Kinda both? I've only ever used it for Hagrid's but I believe you can either be there right at open to snag a spot, or you can get lucky while in the park and snag a spot for later if you just keep refreshing the app. I've been able to get a spot on the ride 2/3 times I've tried.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

BlueBayou posted:

You don’t need to be checked into the property, the app just has to detect your location on property. They don’t even use them most of the time but if they do, they don’t fill up immediately like Rise. They fill up at some point and more might be released throughout the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Rythe posted:

This might be a odd question but do we have a thread for trading Disney pins? My wife recently started collecting those and it's not easy finding Toy Story pins even on E-Bay or just generally online.

I got into pin trading a few years ago, and the best resource has been the Disney Pin Trading/Selling group on Facebook. They help identify scrappers, lots of stuff is put up for trade or sale, and they talk about upcoming park releases. There are dedicated shoppers in every Disney park that post there as well.

There are a few other pin groups on Facebook, but that's the best general group I've found.