Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Her damage was always there, but then Ryuji is also great damage, and he has Matarukaja. She can kinda compete with Yusuke damage wise, but he has Masukukaja and a generally better Trait.

I think her utility is a little more than most people weight it, just because it's generally harder I find to cover Psi Weakness, a lot more persona's seem to fit into the typical four elements than into the extra two added. Tetra and Makarakarn are also exceedingly useful if used in certain context's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Harrow posted:

Barring DLC personas and Myriad Truths, what's the most damaging team you can set up in P5R? Assuming the target is a boss and can't be affected by a lot of the technical-enabling status ailments.

For physical damage at least, my guess is Joker, Ryuji, Yusuke, and then a support of your choice, probably Makoto so she can Checkmate the target (though you could give anyone Debilitate and they'd be good in that slot too). Outside of Myriad Truths, is anything going to do as much damage as a Charged-up Hassou Tobi when Ryuji's trait triggers?

I think Haru might be able to outdamage Yusuke in theory due to Gun Shot+Amp, but I haven't actually tested it out.

In actuality, I think Ann/Makoto overtake the physical team if the enemy is weak to both Fire and Nuclear; Merciless also triples weakness damage, which is stronger than Ryuji's trait. Joker can also have a Persona with the Relentless trait to increase weakness damage and then equip Ragnarok/Atomic Flare. The fourth member could be anybody; Morgana is the best remaining mage, but Ryuji/Yusuke/Haru are self-sufficient enough even without High Energy.

Hassou Tobi's extremely high ceiling is still notable though, especially with Ryuji's Trait. I'd probably give Yusuke/Haru Debiliate, and drop Makoto for Yoshizawa for Brave Step.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Gaius Marius posted:

I think her utility is a little more than most people weight it, just because it's generally harder I find to cover Psi Weakness, a lot more persona's seem to fit into the typical four elements than into the extra two added. Tetra and Makarakarn are also exceedingly useful if used in certain context's

That reminds me, I had tetrakarn on Joker during the sixth palace boss fight and the boss killed itself by reflecting its physical attack on itself :v:

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Just got my first fusion failure in Persona 5 Strikers and that's my favourite animation yet!

Not too fond of the high level Arsene though...

Artelier fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Mar 3, 2021

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I'm finding Strikers fusion awkward in general, especially the special fusions needing high level personas that you don't normally want that high and who ultimately suck to get that high with how the levelling works.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
New Game+ on Merciless (not sure of any other difficulties) cranks the xp and base levels of recovered Persona. I wish I had known that second part before I had ground out all of those points to level up stuff from the Compendium, but it does make the unlockable fusions slightly easier, at least.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Deltasquid posted:

That reminds me, I had tetrakarn on Joker during the sixth palace boss fight and the boss killed itself by reflecting its physical attack on itself :v:

I'm surprised it let you do that. I tend to avoid using reflect skills on bosses because SMT usually has some nasty tricks programmed in.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

RillAkBea posted:

I'm surprised it let you do that. I tend to avoid using reflect skills on bosses because SMT usually has some nasty tricks programmed in.

Often even if the boss can negate it, it still uses a press turn so it can oftentimes be worth it to cast anyway. Especially in games like 4A where you can cast Tetrakarn, steal another turn with Imposing Will, and suddenly a three turn boss is a single turn boss, maybe 2 if they get a Critical or something.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Were the lyrics to Rivers in the Desert written by a different person than whoever wrote the lyrics to all the other songs in P5/R/S? It's the only one where I don't stop and think "wait, what the gently caress?" at half the lines.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Artelier posted:

Often even if the boss can negate it, it still uses a press turn so it can oftentimes be worth it to cast anyway. Especially in games like 4A where you can cast Tetrakarn, steal another turn with Imposing Will, and suddenly a three turn boss is a single turn boss, maybe 2 if they get a Critical or something.

On the other end of that you have Strange Journey where some of the late game bosses have secret moves they only use if you try to pull the ol' reflectaroo. One of them even uses god drat Diarahan.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mNMCA2VCAI

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Badger of Basra posted:

Were the lyrics to Rivers in the Desert written by a different person than whoever wrote the lyrics to all the other songs in P5/R/S? It's the only one where I don't stop and think "wait, what the gently caress?" at half the lines.

Off the top of my head, all the lyrics for every song was written by Benjamin Franklin. I know he does a lot of stuff (God Eater tracks come to mind), but good luck finding most of them for obvious reasons. :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Benjamin Franklin did the lyrics for most/all of the base Persona 5 songs, and Lotus Juice for most/all of the Royal ones (like Take Over).

If you want more Shoji Meguro/Lyn/Benjamin Franklin collaborations, check out the opening songs for the P5 anime:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf3LRhsCVwQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l541PwVm_N4

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I feel like a lot of the time you can tell when Lotus Juice wrote the lyrics versus when Franklin did.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Diplomat, postmaster, printer, Founding Father, philosopher, lyricist, is there anything Benjamin Franklin can't do?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

One of the Lotus Juice ones, "No More What Ifs," even includes a reference to "Burn My Dread" :v:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Diplomat, postmaster, printer, Founding Father, philosopher, lyricist, is there anything Benjamin Franklin can't do?

Keep his dick in his pants

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I was going through some of the Personas that the P5 cast and... huh. Necronomicon really doesn't fit the 'trickster' theme of the P5 Personas, does it? The wiki suggests it's based on the rumour of UFOs abducting cows but that seems... pretty flimsy.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I mean, Milady is a straight-up villain in The Three Musketeers, the theme is pretty loose. Also, the UFO is funny.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Well their general theme seems to be trickster/thief or rebellious will, and the latter applies well enough to Milady. Then again, Astarte makes even less sense but... that's Persona for you.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If it helps, the Necronomicon and its manifestation as a UFO represent forbidden knowledge. Same with Prometheus.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Forbidden knowledge is about as rebellious as someone who never leaves their house is gonna get.

e: does Futaba's finisher screen (where she drops the bomb) change when her persona changes?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Badger of Basra posted:

Forbidden knowledge is about as rebellious as someone who never leaves their house is gonna get.

e: does Futaba's finisher screen (where she drops the bomb) change when her persona changes?

ouch, it got too real :gbsmith:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I guess the Persona 4 anime has a picture of Chie's dog

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

bobjr posted:

I guess the Persona 4 anime has a picture of Chie's dog

thats a sick-rear end dog. i love him

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Badger of Basra posted:

The finisher is the same. Promethus poops the bomb somehow.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

ApplesandOranges posted:

The finisher is the same. Promethus poops the bomb somehow.

Prometheus is still a giant machine it just is covered in trippy rainbow fire. Honestly it reminds me of Yami from Okami, a giant robot ball eclipsing the existing sun.

The first tier party personas are all rebellious literary figures in one way or another, the second tier are all rebellious/unusual divine and mythical figures. Anat and Astarte are both older deities representative of the kind of rebellious soul Makoto and Haru have, Anat is a goddess of violent war who brings peace, Astarte is a goddess of life and destruction/War. The rest are far more simple of course.

Arguably three of the phantom thieves intentionally have Persona who don’t match the theme because their spirit of rebellion is also different in nature. Or maybe all this pattern seeking is nonsensical and they just did what sounded and looked cool.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Necronomicon/Prometheus always struck me as a call back to Persona 2.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The P5 Personas are still my favourite of the lot as a whole, since it's a mix of different cultures, and most audiences would recognize at least a few of them. P3 is next because the Greek pantheon is fairly recognizable and there's some good allusions in the relationships between SEES (like Akihiko and Shinjiro's). P4's set is fine, just not as immediately recognizable to a decent chunk of non-Japanese audiences.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I think the P2 casts were the best personally, They seem be a little more evocative of the theatrical nature of the persona, and they all fit really well with their characters.

I'll also give a shout out to P1 Protags Ultimate Amon Ra, Cool as hell looking and it's like the only game he appears in.

Edit: P5 Spoilers I'll give a shout out to Loki too, Mostly hate the design but it looks very trickster god, plus incoporating Dazzle camoflouge into the design goes well with Goro's role in the plot

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 4, 2021

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

All the P1 Ultimates showed up as demons in previous SMT games I'm pretty sure.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

All the P1 Ultimates showed up as demons in previous SMT games I'm pretty sure.

Not my boy Yamaoka, It does look like Amon Ra was in Devil summoner so that's why I've never seen him. And some of them seem to have only appeared in the Sega CD port of SMT, which I didn't know existed.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

So in base P5, at the start, when Sae shows up in the torture basement to talk to you he says "there's a call from your director" before her phone rings and she talks to the director. Weird!

In P5R at the same point he now says "I just got off the phone with your director" which is much more normal.

But! When this scene replays later during the normal course of the story, it goes back to the original "there's a call from your director" line.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Badger of Basra posted:

So in base P5, at the start, when Sae shows up in the torture basement to talk to you he says "there's a call from your director" before her phone rings and she talks to the director. Weird!

In P5R at the same point he now says "I just got off the phone with your director" which is much more normal.

But! When this scene replays later during the normal course of the story, it goes back to the original "there's a call from your director" line.

Lmao

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Harrow posted:

Barring DLC personas and Myriad Truths, what's the most damaging team you can set up in P5R? Assuming the target is a boss and can't be affected by a lot of the technical-enabling status ailments.

For physical damage at least, my guess is Joker, Ryuji, Yusuke, and then a support of your choice, probably Makoto so she can Checkmate the target (though you could give anyone Debilitate and they'd be good in that slot too). Outside of Myriad Truths, is anything going to do as much damage as a Charged-up Hassou Tobi when Ryuji's trait triggers?

I'm fairly sure we're talking physical damage here assuming the boss has no resistances (or weaknesses). And you need action economy on the buffs/debuffs. The goal should be Joker able to spam Hassou Tobi while charged, while the party is permanently buffed and the enemies are permanently debuffed. And as many other charged up high power physical attacks as possible. My rule of thumb is that two actions from Joker are worth one from anyone else.

First you need to get your attack/defence/accuracy evasion buffs up. There are three ways of doing this plus one DLC (and Futaba giving it to you randomly after visiting the jazz club on Sundays):
  • Joker (at the start of the fight): You want all three Auto-Ma skills on one persona, and to set that persona as your default. (This can be done by skill cards or by the penultimate treasure persona). You then, for bonus marks want a trait; the traits that extends self-buffs will extend the auto-ma skills (so you're buffed for free for four or even five turns at the start) - or you want the trait that gives you a free charge/concentrate at the start of a fight. Create this persona, start fights with it, and never use it again during the fight. This starter persona is generally a very useful thing to have.
  • Joker (when the fight runs long): Attis (requires rank 10 Hanged Man) has the Vitality of the Tree trait which lets you cast spells you can normally only cast when surrounded. He also gets Thermopolae which is a full party buff.
  • Fox (maxed out) has, as his ultimate skill Hyakka Ryouran (for 90SP) which is a full party buff.
  • Joker (DLC) F Orpheus has Neo-Cadenza which not only is a party wide triple buff, it also heals. It's probably in practice more broken than Myriad Truths

Then you need to debuff. Again the goal is action economy. Which means your main choice is the Debilitate skill to debuff all three on your target.
  • Joker can get it a whole lot of ways. He can also get it on a persona with a trait to make it last five rather than three turns.
  • Crow has it naturally. Because Crow.
  • Queen (maxed out) instead has Checkmate which costs 90SP and debuffs the entire enemy team. There are few times this is worthwhile compared to debilitate as almost any groups you're fighting won't need debilitating.
  • The Jazz Club can provide anyone with the Debilitate skill if you take them there on December 11

Then you need Charge. And preferably not to waste Joker's time casting it because he has better things to do.
  • The Ring of Pride is an item that lets one party member charge others
  • Skull (maxed out) has Hyakka Ryouran to charge up everyone. At 80SP he'll want SP items.

Finally if you're feeling brave you can try to buff the party's crit rate.
  • Violet (maxed out) can buff the party's crit rate with Brave Step.
  • The Revolution skill buffs everyone's crit rate, allies and enemies. This is good for max damage and lolnope for max effectiveness against bosses.

The other question for sustain is who your healer is. Joker should have Maria for a ridiculous amount of recovery (40% hp and 22mp) as well as the best resurrection spell in the game - but anyone can wear a Salvation Crown or throw out items.

I think this means we're looking at Joker, Skull, and Violet as the three core members. And then it's between Fox, Crow, and Noir for the final spot.

If there are weaknesses involved then everything changes because you want to hit those weaknesses and we're almost certainly into magic damage. We're also playing with baton passes and sweeps.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think Crow just falls flat. His damage isn't high enough compared to the others and his best asset otherwise is Debilitate, which is cool but you can get it from Jazz, so...

Between Fox and Noir, I'd probably lean towards Noir, because Amrita Shower/Lifewall could come in handy, but I really like Fox's damage output since his St is better than anyone else's, so your mileage may vary.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

kanji's rank 10 s-link takes place in your room which aside from him only happens for characters you've romanced. he is 100% gay. he likes Naoto too because he's bi or not an absolute 6 on the kinsey scale but he definitely likes men in a romantic manner and you know what good for him
So I just finished the game this afternoon and:
I don't know if he's 100% gay, I think he's got some homoerotic tendencies and still figuring himself out. His dad died shaming him for his hobbies as being un-manly, so anything that deviates from what he, a child, thinks is masculine has to be repressed. Hence his bathhouse dungeon with a boss literally using masculinity as a weapon.
And then in the true ending He's completely changed, I assume, finally accepting who he is and not needing to pretend to be this characterature of a man's man.
I also thought his character arc was poorly done, even if he was one of the better characters.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It screws with me how the cop at the start who seems important that beats up Joker never comes up again.

P5 really has the lamest villains.

Other than strega I guess.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Prometheus is still a giant machine it just is covered in trippy rainbow fire. Honestly it reminds me of Yami from Okami, a giant robot ball eclipsing the existing sun.

The first tier party personas are all rebellious literary figures in one way or another, the second tier are all rebellious/unusual divine and mythical figures. Anat and Astarte are both older deities representative of the kind of rebellious soul Makoto and Haru have, Anat is a goddess of violent war who brings peace, Astarte is a goddess of life and destruction/War. The rest are far more simple of course.

Arguably three of the phantom thieves intentionally have Persona who don’t match the theme because their spirit of rebellion is also different in nature. Or maybe all this pattern seeking is nonsensical and they just did what sounded and looked cool.

Robin Hood gives up being a thief and becomes a knight, doesn't he?

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 4, 2021

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Acerbatus posted:

He gives up being a thief, becomes a god, and then gets tired of that and becomes an Anglo-Saxon resistance leader to the Norman yoke.

"Resistance leader" I suppose fits into what Joker, Goro, and Kasumire are up to with regards to Maruki's Happy Fun Time World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Acerbatus posted:

It screws with me how the cop at the start who seems important that beats up Joker never comes up again.

P5 really has the lamest villains.

Other than strega I guess.

Yup Robin Hood is a noble pushed out by leadership who returns to nobility, Cinderella isn't a real person and her rebellion is based on magical outside assistance, Necronomicon is all about the seeking of forbidden knowledge more than rebellion, they're also all fictional whereas the others are supposedly historical rebels. Arsene is also fictional but otherwise fits the same rebel/thief mould of the others more than these three. Wait gently caress neither is Milady, nevermind the difference is the first three don't remain rebels by the end of their story they become authority (and Necronomicon is a book not a person).

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 4, 2021