Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

PantsBandit posted:

You guys are absolutely right, we should lean into "humanity ruins everything" and make it so you literally can't go anywhere without being reminded that Big DeeLo totally owns this cliff-face.

No, YOU'RE right, the next time I see someone litter I'm going to ram them with my Ford F250 with a smokestack on it

See I can do it too, it's really easy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

you definitely shouldn't be going around leaving paint in natural environments but that's totally unrelated to the issue of graffiti on man-made structures

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
*wanders into missile base*

*takes long, deep look at painting of bowsette on the wall, sighs*

*presses launch button*

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
like most crimes, graffiti is cool if you target property owned by billion-dollar companies and uncool if you target small stuff

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
drat didn't realize jet set radio was this divisive

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Cardiovorax posted:

How many of the pro-graffiti folks here own any property? Just wondering.

Don't grafitti people's homes. Who gives a gently caress about property beyond that though?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Cardiovorax posted:

I'll have you know I own several rail containers, highway sound dampening walls, and dirty box trucks.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

e double

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
those hooligans defaced my off-white strip mall and should be put to death!!!!

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

*spray paints a big F U onto the thread*

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

you mean the kind of property that graffiti artists paint on? probably none. private homes aren't really popular targets

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

cheetah7071 posted:

like most crimes, graffiti is cool if you target property owned by billion-dollar companies and uncool if you target small stuff

stev posted:

Don't grafitti people's homes. Who gives a gently caress about property beyond that though?

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

gonna graffiti the tree that owns itself to own everyone in this thread

I would never do that. that would be a horrible thing to do

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Relax Or DIE posted:

those hooligans defaced my off-white strip mall and should be put to death!!!!

cops arresting me in the middle of a three-square-mile abandoned factory facility with loose scraps of metal and electrical lines just laying on the ground because I wrote "Bush Did 7/11" on the wall

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This is a really weird topic for everyone to get so immediately angry and hostile over.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Lurdiak posted:

This is a really weird topic for everyone to get so immediately angry and hostile over.

Im mad that people can't read

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
we could all get mad about this, together:

https://twitter.com/Toadsanime/status/1367121569361854466

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Did y'all grow up in areas with graffiti all over public spaces? Cause I found it miserable.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Gonna waterboard anyone who tries to join a union

only partially a joke

Rinkles posted:

Did y'all grow up in areas with graffiti all over public spaces? Cause I found it miserable.

What was the state of the buildings, graffiti removed? Because I'm doubting that if it weren't just for the graffiti it would have been a beautiful area regardless. No one has said that graffiti in public spaces should be fair game, but that punishing people for doing graffiti on dilapidated buildings that are already in complete disrepair is silly. But to answer your question, yes I did.

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 3, 2021

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

hiring war crimes experts to make sure your war crimes games are believable

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
All corporations are scams to avoid taxes and legal liability, burn them all to the ground and feast on the flesh of investors.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

oof yeah I could get mad about this

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Go back and read Khanstant's post that was being responded to again bc the second part is them being surprised that people are upset about rocks being sprayed.

Imo you're the only one trying to argue this "the point is we should be madder about everything" pov.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

PantsBandit posted:

Go back and read Khanstant's post that was being responded to again bc the second part is them being surprised that people are upset about rocks being sprayed.

Imo you're the only one trying to argue this "the point is we should be madder about everything" pov.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
My state expanded vaccination criteria today and I was able to secure an appointment!

Loop Hero comes out this week and I'm extremely excited.

I'm replaying through Dark Souls III on my new monitor and it's beautiful, but I wish it could render faster than 60 fps.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Propaganda Hour posted:

Loop Hero comes out this week and I'm extremely excited.

I really wanna play loop hero, but I was watching some streams of it earlier and I had to turn them all off because each streamer kept going on very long tirades about how annoying backseat gaming is after some random person explained a game mechanic the streamer didn't understand. I do not know why I don't just unfollow people who do this, I keep saying to myself "maybe them going on really long tirades about how they don't like interacting with their chat was a one-off thing" but it keeps happening!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

I mean, Khanstant literally sounds like he thinks spray-painting rocks is cool and fine.

I think it's not something to get outraged over, whether or not you think some jackass fortunate enough to have the liberty to go enjoy then tag some designated nature area for humans to do human activity with some arbitrary degree of nature preservation in place, while still expressly being a place for humans to tromp around the nature. It doesn't seem genuine to feign concern for the natural environment, so much as it's inconsiderate to other people who want to visit these same places and see the same natures. You don't wanna be reminded of some jackass with a spraycan while you're on a hike or whatever, cool, just say that.

The part I thought was laughable and amusing is the way a rock most people will never see or hear of became a huge point of contention over one of many acts and marks of human activity that anyone present will necessarily be participating in one or more parts of.

They blew up a mountain and poisoned the water to make my phone, that's not really cool either is it, and I'm not exactly going to stop using and buying the things because I know that, but the funny part is that when the person painted the rock everyone could get all righteous about it because hardly anyone goes to that rock, let alone paints on it, so it's easy to be like "heh, I'd never do that abhorrent poo poo, what kind of subhuman trash would even suggest that being okay even casually"

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

here's my hot take: humanity is bad

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

most graffiti looks like rear end, lets teach people how to tag before we enter the graffiti paradise

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Khanstant posted:

I think it's not something to get outraged over, whether or not you think some jackass fortunate enough to have the liberty to go enjoy then tag some designated nature area for humans to do human activity with some arbitrary degree of nature preservation in place, while still expressly being a place for humans to tromp around the nature. It doesn't seem genuine to feign concern for the natural environment, so much as it's inconsiderate to other people who want to visit these same places and see the same natures. You don't wanna be reminded of some jackass with a spraycan while you're on a hike or whatever, cool, just say that.

The part I thought was laughable and amusing is the way a rock most people will never see or hear of became a huge point of contention over one of many acts and marks of human activity that anyone present will necessarily be participating in one or more parts of.

They blew up a mountain and poisoned the water to make my phone, that's not really cool either is it, and I'm not exactly going to stop using and buying the things because I know that, but the funny part is that when the person painted the rock everyone could get all righteous about it because hardly anyone goes to that rock, let alone paints on it, so it's easy to be like "heh, I'd never do that abhorrent poo poo, what kind of subhuman trash would even suggest that being okay even casually"

evergreen

(the whole point of natural spaces is that they're supposed to have limited human interference, graffiti is fine if it's on constructed property in no small part because graffiti is ideally meant to be seen by others, you're a moron who thought he was being a sage pragmatist and is now sweating down his collar because it didn't get the reaction you intended)

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I think there's a difference between like, graffiti art and just tagging your name literally anywhere you can. I love graffiti art, it's awesome. Even if you want to do your name but make the letters really cool, like the trains in NYC. That's great. But gently caress those straight line no-art tags on every bridge and anywhere that the people can reach. It's more 'is it good'? but either way I don't care and it shouldn't be illegal. Just don't do bad graffiti. There's good and bad graffiti in San Jose.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Khanstant posted:

accusing people of virtue signaling about this isn't a good look. the main reasons that painting rocks in nature is discouraged are the following.

1) paints often contain harmful chemicals that can linger in the environment for an extraordinarily long time and negatively affect the flora and fauna of the area
2) other people see the painted rocks and take that as encouragement to paint their own rocks

literally everyone who works in a caretaker capacity for any kind of nature preserve loving hates this poo poo. they are constantly picking up painted rocks and clearing rock stacks and poo poo alongside the usual litter cleanup work. not every place on earth is a playground for humans, even if most of it is by now

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Oxxidation posted:

(you're a moron who thought he was being a sage pragmatist and is now sweating down his collar because it didn't get the reaction you intended)

You are psychotic

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm a huge moron but I'm not a sage pragmatic and I'm obviously just as guilty in engaging with a pointless outrage news cycle for my own amusement while doing nothing whatsoever to actually make the world a better place

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Propaganda Hour posted:

My state expanded vaccination criteria today and I was able to secure an appointment!

I also am going to get my vaccine soon! Now I just need to figure out how to get one for my asthmatic girlfriend.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i got my first shot on saturday but my wife has to wait until april despite her job putting her in direct indoor contact with the public for the entire duration of the pandemic to date. fortunately her mom is on the cherokee rolls and the tribal administration here has their poo poo way more together so she might be able to lifehack her way into a vaccine at the indian clinic

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Weedle posted:

accusing people of virtue signaling about this isn't a good look. the main reasons that painting rocks in nature is discouraged are the following.

1) paints often contain harmful chemicals that can linger in the environment for an extraordinarily long time and negatively affect the flora and fauna of the area
2) other people see the painted rocks and take that as encouragement to paint their own rocks

literally everyone who works in a caretaker capacity for any kind of nature preserve loving hates this poo poo. they are constantly picking up painted rocks and clearing rock stacks and poo poo alongside the usual litter cleanup work. not every place on earth is a playground for humans, even if most of it is by now

Yeah like there are clear, obvious reasons why doing that poo poo is uncool and I really don't understand why other, worse environmental issues should affect how much we should care about people spraying poo poo in nature.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

please maintain the warch energy of this thread

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
you're right, there are good reasons to be against the act itself and it's not sensible of me to frame everyone who was outraged over it as self-righteous hypocrites pretending to care about a rock to dunk on some fair-target jerks especially when my only counter offer is to kamikaze collective issues with no individual solution relevant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
when national parks were opened up last year during the pandemic lockdowns (but without the rangers etc to oversee them) there were no end of yahoos ripping up trails with ATV's and hacking their initials into ancient flora/rock formations. tagging in places like those is basically the same thing

the biosphere is already circling the drain because of consumption-based environmental destruction with no end or solution in sight, so that kind of frivolous defacement on top of it is just insult on injury