Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Fidelitious posted:

I really enjoyed playing Soma because of this. I was like, cool, someone is addressing the existential horror behind digitization of consciousness and the copying/transfer of them.
I highly recommend it, but I also recommend playing it in Safe Mode. Monsters attacking you is not what makes it a horror game and they mostly just get in the way of the great narrative.

SOMA was an amazing game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Greg Haza posted:

I gave the guy $40 in 2013 and just gave him another $100 for a Cutlass Black.

i'm sorry

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Hello Commandos.

My last post in here was probably 2019. Is this game out yet? Is at least Squadron 42 out yet? Is Ben still alive and playing WC2 on stream? Is anyone from the original CIG team still left? And new insanity from Sandy or Chris? Is Beer still around?

Anything funny from CitizenCon? I am basically asking...

are you ok Commando?

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Hey!

SQ54 delays are entirely on schedule. Ben is being paid lots of money to be quiet. This is true of most of upper management too. Chris did find time to write some very sane things, and he and Sandi got a glossy write up in Forbes. Beer is still being the best space pilot ever since he was a little boy, but elsewhere.

I should call my parents

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Pixelate posted:

Hey!

SQ54 delays are entirely on schedule. Ben is being paid lots of money to be quiet. This is true of most of upper management too. Chris did find time to write some very sane things, and he and Sandi got a glossy write up in Forbes. Beer is still being the best space pilot ever since he was a little boy, but elsewhere.

I should call my parents

man, reading that crobs post about fire extinguishing is surreal. partly because literally none of that is in the game, and partly because literally ALL of that is in FTL: Faster than Light, an indie game made by i think two people, released in 2012. Bullet pierces shield, damages system, causes fire, pilot can't get to it because door, gunner has to extinguish it or else everyone suffocates. It sounds cool as poo poo, and it is, in the game where it is implemented, which is not scitizen.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Muscle Tracer posted:

man, reading that crobs post about fire extinguishing is surreal. partly because literally none of that is in the game, and partly because literally ALL of that is in FTL: Faster than Light, an indie game made by i think two people, released in 2012. Bullet pierces shield, damages system, causes fire, pilot can't get to it because door, gunner has to extinguish it or else everyone suffocates. It sounds cool as poo poo, and it is, in the game where it is implemented, which is not scitizen.

lol @ its not in yet because 'we have to literally plumb the ships with vents', gently caress you, it would take all of 30 minutes per ship to slap down some arbitrary vent points in each room.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
I don't even care about when SC releases now... I just want the next episode of Sunk Cost Galaxy... I needs my fix.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fidelitious posted:

I really enjoyed playing Soma because of this. I was like, cool, someone is addressing the existential horror behind digitization of consciousness and the copying/transfer of them.
I highly recommend it, but I also recommend playing it in Safe Mode. Monsters attacking you is not what makes it a horror game and they mostly just get in the way of the great narrative.

Yep, 100%. The story of SOMA (while I'm not wild about the gameplay) is one of the better sci-fi concepts I've ever seen in a game.

The ending just absolutely floored me.

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I don't even care about when SC releases now... I just want the next episode of Sunk Cost Galaxy... I needs my fix.

If it keeps on rainin', levee's goin' to break

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Sleds are still widely used, though, because wheels have an issue with big pressure concentration in one spot. Everywhere where there's too much snow, sleds are used. Technically they are used on water (floatplanes, katamarans and such) and also tanks (which also use wheels to enable "sleds" aka belts, so they are kinda hybrid). They might find some use on Moon/Mars, too, because of the fine dust there.

:negative: debunked once again

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I just really hope we get a CitCon this year. We won't, but I long for the halcyon days of Chris getting on stage to promise some insane poo poo in front of a broken 1 off demo.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/vcFFL5c.mp4

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Pixelate posted:

Hey!

I should call my parents

*salutes*

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

TheDarkFlame posted:

There is or used to be a lot of stuff in the lore about how humans are just utter poo poo and their ten-millenia downfall has its roots in a technological dark age where a lot of information and science was intentionally lost, destroyed or locked away and essentially branded as heresy, from things like weapons tech to advanced AI. They mostly don't even know how computers work, just that they do, and everything that exists like this is kept running through centuries of maintenance that has become rituals of the holy order of mechanic-priests. So of course, everything sucks.

Even the Golden Throne, the grand soul-powered warp-rending cryostasis machine keeping the Emperor in a coma a half-step away from death, has been falling apart for millennia because nobody knows how to maintain it. It was a Big Deal in, I think 4th or 5th edition, they changed some art of the Throne to show it dilapidated and falling apart. Some people thought they might kill the old bastard off for certain and advance the plot somehow. Don't know if that ever happened. I realised it wasn't a hobby I had the time, money or motivation to keep up with.

The instant the Emperor dies, his power and the collective worship of The Imperium will cause him to rip a massive hole in spacetime into Chaos where he will emerge as a new Chaos God of Humanity, costing 90% of humanity their life in the process. It'll be strong enough to kill the other Chaos Gods and reign supreme.

Just as the Eldar have planned.

Meanwhile, the Tau will be like "Did you feel that? No? Me neither", discover their own Non-Warp based FTL (explicitly possible in-universe based on some of the older lore content), and then become the dominant race in the galaxy because they're the only race who A) Knows how their own tech works AND B) INVENTS NEW TECH FOR NEW PROBLEMS.

But that would require GW to expand the timeline past the few seconds before the Golden Throne shuts down, where they've been sitting for at least the past decade. Warhammer 40k.001 doesn't sound quite as catchy.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Greg Haza posted:

oh no lol

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
I think we made it!

https://clips.twitch.tv/MistyPlainSardineBatChest-wUTjsAO8PxGt-DUV

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

akkristor posted:

But that would require GW to expand the timeline past the few seconds before the Golden Throne shuts down, where they've been sitting for at least the past decade. Warhammer 40k.001 doesn't sound quite as catchy.

I've got bad news friendo, they did exactly this a couple years back. They introduced a whole new line of BIGGER space marine toy models and had to justify their existence in the lore so it's now 41k, the Primarchs are coming back and doing crusades and poo poo, there's a whole bunch of novels about it, the new marines are even stronger and faster and more superhuman than the old marines and their power levels are all over 9000 and they get hovertanks and plasma guns and poo poo. The emperor's own personal guards are now a tabletop army so they get novels, even though they are just gold plated space marines and there's only like 200 of them in the whole universe, and they are even bigger and faster and stronger and better than the new marines. The Eldar got a new death god but then none of it mattered and they all got jobbed because they are aliens and aliens don't matter in WH40K, only space marines forever.

Also the Emperor is totally fine and all the ominous lore stuff written over the last 40 years about how the universe was 1 year away from disaster at year 40,999 turned out to just be Chaos doing a giant wet fart across the galaxy that didn't amount to anything.

It sucks really loving bad

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sarsapariller posted:

I've got bad news friendo, they did exactly this a couple years back. They introduced a whole new line of BIGGER space marine toy models and had to justify their existence in the lore so it's now 41k, the Primarchs are coming back and doing crusades and poo poo, there's a whole bunch of novels about it, the new marines are even stronger and faster and more superhuman than the old marines and their power levels are all over 9000 and they get hovertanks and plasma guns and poo poo. The emperor's own personal guards are now a tabletop army so they get novels, even though they are just gold plated space marines and there's only like 200 of them in the whole universe, and they are even bigger and faster and stronger and better than the new marines. The Eldar got a new death god but then none of it mattered and they all got jobbed because they are aliens and aliens don't matter in WH40K, only space marines forever.

Also the Emperor is totally fine and all the ominous lore stuff written over the last 40 years about how the universe was 1 year away from disaster at year 40,999 turned out to just be Chaos doing a giant wet fart across the galaxy that didn't amount to anything.

It sucks really loving bad

Counter-argument; moving the story forward and being willing to have permanent change to the setting is extremely good and what 40k needs. Some of the current stories are bad but some of the old 40k stories were garbage too, overall they're moving in a better direction and listening to fans more now.

Custodes being playable are dumb but so are primarchs, give the people what they want :shrug: you can always come up with some headcannon fluff to excuse why its happening.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Zaphod42 posted:

you can always come up with some headcannon fluff to excuse why its happening.

Gork and Mork wanted some fightier humans for their orks to scrap against

Jobs a good 'un boss

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Mr.Tophat posted:

Gork and Mork wanted some fightier humans for their orks to scrap against

Jobs a good 'un boss

Nanu nanu?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Greg Haza posted:

:chanpop:

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Every month the mess hall gets closer...

Squadron 42 March 3rd Update - Monthly Update

quote:

Last month, the Animation Team progressed with several cinematic and gameplay story scenes. This involved work on the mess hall life, Vanduul combat, zero-g movement, railings for officers,

Star Citizen: railings for officers

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

I had to look that up and I'm still confused, please send a proper flight manual before I spin out and start watching tv for knowledge

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Mr.Tophat posted:

I had to look that up and I'm still confused, please send a proper flight manual before I spin out and start watching tv for knowledge

Lol really, horribly old reference to Mork & Mindy.

It was Mork's catchphrase

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Counter-argument; moving the story forward and being willing to have permanent change to the setting is extremely good and what 40k needs. Some of the current stories are bad but some of the old 40k stories were garbage too, overall they're moving in a better direction and listening to fans more now.

Custodes being playable are dumb but so are primarchs, give the people what they want :shrug: you can always come up with some headcannon fluff to excuse why its happening.

This is what Privateer Press is doing with Warmachine and Hordes. We had a giant apocalyptic battle that hosed EVERYTHING OVER, and now we're fast forwarding a year or two and putting all the pieces together.

Also, only thing that matters in 40k is Tau. Tau are best. GW just can't stand any non GRIMDARK so had to imply they are using mind control and forced sterilization.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

quote:

They also supported Design on chapters 4a and 14, making incremental improvements and delivering new abandon animations, and some important polish work was completed for the Morrow Tour.

Along with the mess hall, the Morrow Tour gets some love as well during these early days.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

lol @ its not in yet because 'we have to literally plumb the ships with vents', gently caress you, it would take all of 30 minutes per ship to slap down some arbitrary vent points in each room.

Hah. Hahahahahaha. Maybe if the vents were something they had in mind, planned for, and built the ship models around from the start.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

The year is 2045

Star Citizen is released; it consists of an unskipable cutscene of the NEW Morrow Tour in stunning 16K hi-def, and then you're dropped into a time-limited 5 minute demo of the mess-hall scene (demo crashes if you try to pick up anything)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I love "mess hall life".

I just hope that when all this is said and done, it's for like 2 scenes and then the next 15 years is "hangar crew AI" with hard hitting tasks like "hangar support giving helmets to pilots", "hangar crews cleaning engines where the ships land", etc.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Blue On Blue posted:

The year is 2045

Star Citizen is released; it consists of an unskipable cutscene of the NEW Morrow Tour in stunning 16K hi-def, and then you're dropped into a time-limited 5 minute demo of the mess-hall scene (demo crashes if you try to pick up anything)

... and it's just a YouTube video on YouTube 2.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
I'm not surprised the Eldar got hosed up, they always got ignored. I remember either Eldar or Dark Eldar were two entire codexes behind for a while. But I'm surprised they progressed things, but am not surprised it was half a fakeout and half an excuse to have new toys.

Did they really bring Primarchs back? gently caress off and keep them in the novels where they belong. Extra-gently caress off with the super marines, no army needs a buff like that less than them and it just makes them less interesting to give them even stronger dudes. They're already by default supposed to out-fight a hundred Guardsmen, we don't need them to have another level.

...did they ever do anything with the Necrons? They were a cool design that kinda didn't matter and got ignored. I'm going to probably regret asking. Also is the Tau Manta still the biggest, dumbest thing GW sell, or did they make the Marines one-up them there as well?

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

TheDarkFlame posted:

I'm not surprised the Eldar got hosed up, they always got ignored. I remember either Eldar or Dark Eldar were two entire codexes behind for a while. But I'm surprised they progressed things, but am not surprised it was half a fakeout and half an excuse to have new toys.

Did they really bring Primarchs back? gently caress off and keep them in the novels where they belong. Extra-gently caress off with the super marines, no army needs a buff like that less than them and it just makes them less interesting to give them even stronger dudes. They're already by default supposed to out-fight a hundred Guardsmen, we don't need them to have another level.

...did they ever do anything with the Necrons? They were a cool design that kinda didn't matter and got ignored. I'm going to probably regret asking. Also is the Tau Manta still the biggest, dumbest thing GW sell, or did they make the Marines one-up them there as well?

I think the Manta is still the biggest single model (technically) that GW or FW sells.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Mr.Tophat posted:

Shazbot!

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So I get the feeling I know the answer to this but I have to ask.

Are Roberts and Co looking to completely revamp everything now that star citizen is not the cutting edge visually? I know thevisuals were a selling point in 2016 but even disregarding the art direction they've aged quite a bit for a game that hasn't even released yet.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Lol really, horribly old reference to Mork & Mindy.

It was Mork's catchphrase

Now I feel :corsair: because I remember “who is this guy?” when Robin Williams made a splash as Mork, and he had a whole entire À-list career and an Oscar and then he died, and this all happened within my memory. So. Old.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

akkristor posted:

I think the Manta is still the biggest single model (technically) that GW or FW sells.

is it bigger than whatever this hand goes to

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Messhall: A rectangular square grey room with some tables and chairs.
Messhall life: NPC models sitting in chair and waving their arms randomly while a 'background noise' mp3 plays.

total cost: around 100 million dollars I guess.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

TheDarkFlame posted:

The Necrons got turned from robot terminator slaves of ancient Cthonian pain gods into a metal version of the Tomb Kings, the egyptian-themed undead faction from Warhammer Fantasy. So now their leaders have personalities and they're very egypty and they ride around in chariots and call themselves Pharoah and stuff. The terminator versions got retconned into like "Programming glitches" or something. I find it kind of lame, but a lot of fans say they have more personality now? I'd call it a wash.

The Manta is not even remotely the biggest, dumbest thing anymore.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Beet Wagon posted:

Dude is 100% gonna gently caress that titan.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm getting some real sexual vibes from this.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

colonelwest posted:

I'm getting some real sexual vibes from this.

youtube recommended it to me even though I've never watched a single warhammer thing ever because I find all of warhammer very silly and sort of off-putting (no offense to warhams fans). I clicked around until I got to that part but most of what I pulled from the video is "model big comma expensive"