Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SKULL.GIF posted:

It was Jason Babin, who had 18 sacks in 2011 with the Eagles.

Yes!

He had 12.5 sacks the previous season with the Titans with Jim Washburn. He went to the Eagles, Washburn came along, and it was a controversial coaching hire as I recall.

Ha, another name I haven't heard in a long time.

Both semi-topical for this thread because they were high Houston draft picks who went on to have what success they did for a different organization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I remember Jason Babin, member of the Dream Team

Nothing player, then 12.5 and 18! Sack years, then quickly went back to nothing player

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So should they just cut out the middleman and rename the team to be the Houston Easterbys?

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

SKULL.GIF posted:

He went to the Eagles, Washburn came along, and it was a controversial coaching hire as I recall.
He was a huge dick towards Juan Castillo for some reason (probably racism)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Hunt11 posted:

So should they just cut out the middleman and rename the team to be the Houston Easterbys?

Spoilers, dude

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Soccer teams run by literal criminal enterprises aren’t this dysfunctional.

Making a profit at crime requires some ability usually.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I feel like as godawful as the Browns were, the FO and coaching staff more or less operated in good faith (I don't include ownership here, Haslam is a poo poo) and wanted to win, just no idea how to make it happen.

The Texans appear to be actively sabotaging themselves. Like, the Browns consistently made bad choices but it never felt like they were made out of spite, just bad ideas.

The Watson situation feels made out of spite. Houston could have a cost controlled blue chip QB plus additional assets by trading him, and aren't doing it because...reasons.

I've made no secret of my contempt for the York family and the way they've run the Niners....but even the Harbaugh situation wasn't this bad, and they have let John Lynch do his job.

This, though? Utterly mystifying.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 2, 2021

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It takes a very special franchise to try and poo poo on both the current and what should be the future face of the franchise.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
A smarter person than me could probably work out some sort of algorithm for this sort of Rasputin "advisor" deal. Seems like the harder it is to pretend the person has any qualification to do what they're doing the more power someone has when they worm their way in.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Nick Jr. Face posted:

He was a huge dick towards Juan Castillo for some reason (probably racism)

Tbf, if I was a DL coach and my DC/boss was a career OL coach, I'd be a bit ticked off too

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Tbf, if I was a DL coach and my DC/boss was a career OL coach, I'd be a bit ticked off too

I looked into it a little bit and came up with this: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/07/former-eagles-d-line-coach-jim-washburn-i-was-the-anti-christ-in-philadelphia/

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I can't imagine how it wouldn't be frustrating if you're a professional football player who got everywhere on merit and talent and then your position coach just got his job because Bill Belichick sperm was involved or his wife goes to church with Sean Peyton.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The Watson situation feels made out of spite. Houston could have a cost controlled blue chip QB plus additional assets by trading him, and aren't doing it because...reasons.

The most likely scenario is that they're trying to keep the idea that they might keep him out there to (very marginally) improve their leverage in any potential trade negotiations. The market for him is probably good enough that it's not a necessary ploy, but I can see the logic behind it even if it's stupid.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

CharlestheHammer posted:

The browns are incompetent but they were never this

Didn't the browns draft johhny football because a homeless guy recommended him to the owner? That seems about on par with this level of dysfunction

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

HappyHippo posted:

Didn't the browns draft johhny football because a homeless guy recommended him to the owner? That seems about on par with this level of dysfunction

It has always seemed much more likely Jimmy Haslam made that story up because he thought it would play well in the press instead of making him look like an idiot. I'm not sure if that's in opposition or favor of your overall point though.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

HappyHippo posted:

Haslam is an idiot and made it up

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

That story was clearly made up to make him sound like a man of the people but backfired hilariously because it made him sound like a capricious fool and because Manziel was terrible.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

King Hong Kong posted:

That story was clearly made up to make him sound like a man of the people but backfired hilariously because it made him sound like a capricious fool and because Manziel was terrible.

Which is more embarrassing than the story being true.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Does it have a chapter on overcharging drivers for fuel and avoiding prison time?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I’d sooner read the Starbucks man’s book.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Does it have a chapter on overcharging drivers for fuel and avoiding prison time?

Pffft, like this ballwashing of a book has any acknowledgement of anything bad.

I haven't read it, I'm not going to spend my Pilot points on that when I can buy jerky or hot wings.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

It’s a real shame if Pilot is the only decent truck stop in your region and you don’t have something better like Buc-ees, Stripes, Sheetz, etc.

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

There could be a few reasons that they aren’t trading him yet. One theory is that season tickets haven’t been paid for yet and usually are 3 payments made over the course of the offseason. Installment number 2 comes in early April and once people are 2/3rds paid they will trade Watson rather than do it now and possibly get a bunch of cancellations. I think that these idiots believe that Watson will cave at some point before the season and will happily be the QB for Houston for the 2021 season. McNair could also have other owners in his ear telling him not to set a precedent by giving in and trading Watson and that is probably the first time most of these owners have even spoken to McNair and now he thinks he’s a special boy.

I fully expect them to hold onto Watson until after the draft and then getting less than half of what they would’ve gotten for him had they traded him before the draft.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
If/when they trade him it'll definitely be after the draft headlined by what'll be like the #28 pick next year because the he'll drag his new team to a good record instead of top 5 or top 10 this year

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

General Dog posted:

It’s a real shame if Pilot is the only decent truck stop in your region and you don’t have something better like Buc-ees, Stripes, Sheetz, etc.

I think at this point there’s a Love’s across the street from every Pilot in the country so that’s always an option

Plus the Love’s guy won the Daytona 500 :colbert:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Intruder posted:

If/when they trade him it'll definitely be after the draft headlined by what'll be like the #28 pick next year because the he'll drag his new team to a good record instead of top 5 or top 10 this year

Don't worry, the texans plan to have a top 5 pick next year regardless.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Would be interesting if the Texans top pick refused to play for them.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

really queer Christmas posted:

Don't worry, the texans plan to have a top 5 pick next year regardless.

Yes but I'm referring to this coming draft, where they don't have a first at all

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Would be interesting if the Texans top pick refused to play for them.

They'll weed out all the undesirables beforehand and find themselves a nice god fearing lad

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

dirty shrimp money posted:

I think at this point there’s a Love’s across the street from every Pilot in the country so that’s always an option

Plus the Love’s guy won the Daytona 500 :colbert:

Actually I might have been envisioning Love's instead of Pilot when I made that post. Loves is the one with ads hung up above the urinals right?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Nodoze posted:

They'll weed out all the undesirables beforehand and find themselves a nice god fearing lad

Draft Day is suddenly a documentary

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Intruder posted:

Draft Day is suddenly a documentary

Lmao I forgot all about that propaganda piece.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Lmao I forgot all about that propaganda piece.

I used to make fun of it more but the idea that the Jags got fleeced out of the #6 pick with the top talent still on the board in exchange for a handful of seconds is maybe the most realistic part of the movie

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/NFLDraftBites/status/1367272426405511171

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

- Trusted Confidant And Only True Friend In The Whole Wide World of Texans GM Nick Caserio

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

if he can’t pick a good job how is he gonna pick a good player LOL 😂

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Has JCPrepper98 responded to this yet?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Texans ruining their relationship with Watson for a guy who immediately wants out would be the icing on the cake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I’ve got good news about the lack of draft capital buddy. You can turn that team into the Nick Caserio Project reallllll quick