Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

skooma512 posted:

I really wish they would let us improve the roads ourselves. Like, you let us have plywood, so let us dump them on the worst muddy bits in the middle of an otherwise usable road. There's no way truckers would move back and forth over a road like that and not even try to throw down something to make it safer.

I only have mudrunner but this is kinda what got me to never buy Snowrunner. I get the idea of the game, but for me it just turned into an exercise in frustration because I got so easily stuck rather than a trucking on not great terrain simulator. Just felt like a "never get anywhere unless you have hours" simulator

Edit: Ugh terrible page snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

skooma512 posted:

I really wish they would let us improve the roads ourselves. Like, you let us have plywood, so let us dump them on the worst muddy bits in the middle of an otherwise usable road. There's no way truckers would move back and forth over a road like that and not even try to throw down something to make it safer.

Agreed. Assuming the engine is a bit limited in what you can do to the terrain permanently I'd be happy with some kind of bridge truck/trailer to bridge the worst places. Make it expensive enough so it feels like one has to strategize a bit where to put them.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

DoubleT2172 posted:

I only have mudrunner but this is kinda what got me to never buy Snowrunner. I get the idea of the game, but for me it just turned into an exercise in frustration because I got so easily stuck rather than a trucking on not great terrain simulator. Just felt like a "never get anywhere unless you have hours" simulator

I felt this way about these games too until Snowrunner. I had Spintires and same, couldn't get anywhere or do anything. The second there's any mud, it's over and I'm stuck.

But Snowrunner has better onramping and the starter truck is viable.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

skooma512 posted:

I felt this way about these games too until Snowrunner. I had Spintires and same, couldn't get anywhere or do anything. The second there's any mud, it's over and I'm stuck.

But Snowrunner has better onramping and the starter truck is viable.

This is good to hear, i might jump in when it's on sale again. I just want to feel like i can get SOMEWHERE with a little expediency and not spend an hour only to end up on my side and screwed

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

skooma512 posted:

Wouldn't this kind of break the gameplay loop? Breezing through previously tough spots with better trucks is how I get endorphins out of this game.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

DoubleT2172 posted:

the very early game is frustrating until you hit rank 6 and unlock all terrain tires. there's an easily recoverable truck in the first russian map that comes with them, though. it makes it a little easier starting out. it's one of the best offroad trucks in the game, but the upgrades are locked behind doing a bunch of other missions, so it's not game breaking powerful.

McCracAttack posted:

Wouldn't this kind of break the gameplay loop? Breezing through previously tough spots with better trucks is how I get endorphins out of this game.

there are a few that you should just be able to do as a QoL thing. like that rockslide you clear in north port where the rocks are still covering the road on a route you have to drive a lot. grading that road in drowned lands would be nice as well. I wouldn't even care if they're cargocalypse level of building materials required

padijun fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 4, 2021

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
Rocks on the road are a menace. Also that nice bridge in zimnegorsk that for whatever reason you can't fix unlike all the other bridges. Also a certain loving fallen tree, just annoying from an immersion perspective when I have a large crane, hell even logging cranes now

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Nothing like cruising down a hill, hitting a pebble, and having your wheel and engine explode.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

That's annoying as hell. That and rolling down the trail and getting blasted by an invisible rock/stump/whatever.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

yeah let us make improvements, let me truck in a bunch of stone and make a raised area and haul in a pump and a generator to lower the water a bit, or let me sweep the road with a cool front end loader type and clear off the rocks, hell give me some badass megaplow and let me get rid of some snow.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
a high cargo requirement mission to fix the zimnegorsk bridge wouldn't really break the map. let's say it unlocks after fixing the first one, and the cargo has to be dropped off on the far side. requirements could be something like 2 metal beams, 4 concrete blocks, 1 oversized cargo, and 1 curtain side trailer or generator

padijun fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Mar 4, 2021

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There's nothing conceptually wrong with rocks in the road. With exploding tires I'd argue the fix is make the sim work better at speed instead of apply street sweeper like cleanliness. At engine propelled speeds the effects seem fine, you should expect some extra damage from nailing a rock at speed. It's just the free wheeling down hills seems to apply out of sort damage.

I generally enjoyed the map flow and improvements you can make to Michigan and Alaska but never started Russia or the DLC so maybe it goes downhill. Much better than Spintires maps of "find the less sticky traversal routes by testing." I expect there's always going to be a weird balance of what is worth spending modeling and testing on improvements vs. some spots of the map being genuinely meant to be off roading boss fights that is going to leave someone feel like something more could be done in either direction.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

zedprime posted:

I generally enjoyed the map flow and improvements you can make to Michigan and Alaska but never started Russia or the DLC so maybe it goes downhill. Much better than Spintires maps of "find the less sticky traversal routes by testing." I expect there's always going to be a weird balance of what is worth spending modeling and testing on improvements vs. some spots of the map being genuinely meant to be off roading boss fights that is going to leave someone feel like something more could be done in either direction.

that's a shame, taymyr is the best of the 3 vanilla regions, but the paved drag in the first map just dings you for 15-30 damage where there are no rocks. it seems intentional, because the good roads in michigan and alaska don't have this problem.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
a spoiler for this game? I don't know, but the task chain in grainwoods river is kind of funny, and I don't want to reveal the final location for people who haven't done it

I circled around that thing completely in the tuz 166 before I made the jump across, there's no route besides the broken bridge or a crane. but gently caress doing that jump in a fully loaded voron! I had to winch the scout 800 up there as well to yank the tuz across the finish line. maybe I'll try big dicking it next time

wisconsin is such a great region, definitely the best of the three they've added. it feels challenging without being too grindy like imandra or the yukon where you need ferry trucks set up all over if you want to do anything in under 4 hours

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Ok, the above post might make me start the game up again... I hate the whole “ferry truck being required” concept on some of the newer maps.

However, the reason I quit the first time was because last time I logged in, the game had glitched and ate all of my trucks on the Yukon second map. They still showed up in the store as “owned”, but just weren’t on any map or storage I could find. Pissed me off enough to make me close the game and not come back.

This and GTA are literally the only games I play. So this might seem like a dumb question: what are the support options for things like this? Is it just the forums/community over at the snowrunner site? I’m on Xbone

This is the first time I’ve really regretted not getting the pc version. If I had, I’d just cheese progress back to where I was because screw having to do it all over

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Yeah complain on the forums I think is your best bet. I think they have fixed a few things like that before. Also lol I ragequit for a while because I tipped like 8 trucks in the fast flowing bit of river in the first yukon map, I'm also annoyed the big cat you get on that map is so terrible somehow.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

bobbilljim posted:

Yeah complain on the forums I think is your best bet. I think they have fixed a few things like that before. Also lol I ragequit for a while because I tipped like 8 trucks in the fast flowing bit of river in the first yukon map, I'm also annoyed the big cat you get on that map is so terrible somehow.

Agreed, that thing was a let down... extra for me because the 745c is probably my favorite truck

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
dived back into snowrunner after getting the shits in the yukon after tipping multiple trucks while trying to deliver the shacks. So far the newest map is proving pretty good, difficult without trying to ram you in the arse the whole time. It's also really nice to be back in the white western star cause it actually copes with this map. I know for sure it was ill suited to the last 2 massively and its my favourite truck by far in the game.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
you can get a surprising amount of mileage out of "bad" trucks in wisconsin. I managed to drive a repair transtar all the way from the garage to the brick plant, it took like twice as long as a tayga but at least it was a fun drive

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
If I confirmed nothing else this evening it’s that the pacifics are rubbish for hauling logs cause they really don’t like mud at all.
Got all of the timber hauled for the rail resto mission then started on hauling metal and thought I’d kill two birds with one stone and drop off complete rails on the way back. Game wants manual loading though so I guess it’s time to pull out the Dan which I use as a crane truck so that I can make it happen

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Picked this game up over the weekend and proceeded to play for like 10 hours. I'm really enjoying it so far.

A few questions though:

- What am I supposed to do with all these trailers that I find in the overwold? Should I be taking them back to my garage? So far I've been using the first highway truck you find to make most of my deliveries, but should I be using these trailers instead (or in addition)?
- Also, should I be focusing on clearing the roadblocks and building bridges? The missions require picking up resources from places that are currently only really accessible through rather treacherous paths, which while doable require a LOT of winching and leap frogging to clear with the two highway tucks I've got at the moment.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
You can sell the trailers at the garage and they’ll sell for their full sale price so it’s a good way of making money. I’d ditch one of the highway trucks and get one of the off-road trucks to make your life easier and then work on clearing roadblocks cause it makes things once again easier.
The white western star that’s a rescue mission on one of the first maps is worth the effort to get and upgraded is a capable truck. I still use it now cause it does the job and is decently quick most of the time.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

You can sell the trailers at the garage and they’ll sell for their full sale price so it’s a good way of making money. I’d ditch one of the highway trucks and get one of the off-road trucks to make your life easier and then work on clearing roadblocks cause it makes things once again easier.
The white western star that’s a rescue mission on one of the first maps is worth the effort to get and upgraded is a capable truck. I still use it now cause it does the job and is decently quick most of the time.

Thanks for the tips!

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Brownie posted:

- What am I supposed to do with all these trailers that I find in the overwold? Should I be taking them back to my garage? So far I've been using the first highway truck you find to make most of my deliveries, but should I be using these trailers instead (or in addition)?

You can, but sometimes they're peppered in specific locations to make things easier for you. Like a fuel trailer might be sitting in a place far away from a gas station or a trailer full of metal beams near a bridge that needs them for repairs. So if you go hoover them all up and sell them you might be making work for yourself in the long term. But it's not the end of the world in either case.

Brownie posted:

- Also, should I be focusing on clearing the roadblocks and building bridges? The missions require picking up resources from places that are currently only really accessible through rather treacherous paths, which while doable require a LOT of winching and leap frogging to clear with the two highway tucks I've got at the moment.

That will make your life much easier. Also, don't be shy about buying new trucks to try out and selling them if you don't like them. You can sell them for full price. Just be aware if you buy a truck, upgrade the engine, and sell the truck you still technically own that upgraded engine. So if you want all your money back sell the upgrades you bought then sell the truck.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

It's good if you can round up the trailers and sell them, as well as them having useful cargo / fuel at times. If you do it enough you will soon realise that you should never take a trailer anywhere yourself unless it's absolutely necessary because you always have to plan to sell it again

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Yeah leave the fuel and service trailers alone unless you have an even better plan place to put them.

You will eventually learn to make your own forward service areas with those things and they are like oases in the desert. You can actually do it right now, it just means you drag em to someplace convenient that doesn't have fuel or repair points already and leave them there until they're empty or you forget about them.

Also protip: They don't charge you for fuel or parts so you can buy one, use it, and sell it without ever leaving the trailer store zone and you get all your money back.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

I would rather pretend a transtar is a trailer and leave it somewhere with a fuel addon if necessary, that way you can just recover it back when you're done with the map

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost
I bought this a while back, but kind of bounced of it because I didn't quite 'get' the game, so it just seemed so stupendously tough, all of the time. Yes, I was doing stupid poo poo like barrelling into deep, muddy puddles, not carefully considering routes; just not properly acknowledging the puzzle-like nature of things

I was looking for a new 'sort of chill' game after some recent stuff, and I'm very glad I gave this one another chance. I'm finding myself quite impressed (and a little bit intimidated) by how what you are asked to do escalates. Now I find myself needing to engage with the crane stuff, manual loading, agonising over fuel, and really appreciating being able to repair vehicles in the field.

Also, holy poo poo, there is so much game in this game. While I was still only tooling around Black River, I kind of assumed the other locations in Michigan were just small areas adjoining the main initial location. I was very, *very* wrong.

Also, my initial recon drives around the first Alaska location were brutal. I presume *all* the locations get progressively more difficult?

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

magimix posted:

I bought this a while back, but kind of bounced of it because I didn't quite 'get' the game, so it just seemed so stupendously tough, all of the time. Yes, I was doing stupid poo poo like barrelling into deep, muddy puddles, not carefully considering routes; just not properly acknowledging the puzzle-like nature of things

I was looking for a new 'sort of chill' game after some recent stuff, and I'm very glad I gave this one another chance. I'm finding myself quite impressed (and a little bit intimidated) by how what you are asked to do escalates. Now I find myself needing to engage with the crane stuff, manual loading, agonising over fuel, and really appreciating being able to repair vehicles in the field.

Also, holy poo poo, there is so much game in this game. While I was still only tooling around Black River, I kind of assumed the other locations in Michigan were just small areas adjoining the main initial location. I was very, *very* wrong.

Also, my initial recon drives around the first Alaska location were brutal. I presume *all* the locations get progressively more difficult?

I'd say the harder parts of michigan are about as tough as the earlier parts of taymyr and alaska. kola, the yukon, and wisconsin are considerably harder.

I would wait until rank 8(?) when you unlock offroad tires for the heavy duty trucks before doing any serious missions outside michigan. that being said, you're on the right track doing recon first. unlock towers, get the upgrades, get the trucks, come back later if it's too difficult.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

padijun posted:

I'd say the harder parts of michigan are about as tough as the earlier parts of taymyr and alaska. kola, the yukon, and wisconsin are considerably harder.

I would wait until rank 8(?) when you unlock offroad tires for the heavy duty trucks before doing any serious missions outside michigan. that being said, you're on the right track doing recon first. unlock towers, get the upgrades, get the trucks, come back later if it's too difficult.

Cool, cool. I shall at the least *dabble* in the other areas, just to get that initial sense of things, but to be sure, I've plenty of stuff still to do in Michigan. The offroad tyres comment is well made. Frankly, I lust after offroad tyres. I'm L6 at the moment I think, so at best, I've a couple of 'all terrain' options.

I've 'unlocked' all but one area of Michigan, but for sure I've barely scratched the surface outside of Black River. My last session... Well, lets say it ended with my head in my hands, and a vehicle on its side, after picking up a couple of crates and then... just loving up :cry: But I've had some fun saves as well. I like how the stakes naturally grow as you get deeper and deeper into some delivery. Far from making me want to quit or reset, it really pushes me into this headspace of trying a whole bunch of stuff to un-gently caress a gently caress-up.

I also like how much I'm learning the map. As much as I played ungodly hours of, say, Forza Horizon, I never really *learned* my way around per se. Sure, learn that map to some extent, but by and large, course markers continued to be important. Whereas I feel like I'm learning Michigan like I would my local neighbourhood. The sense of 'place' is strong.

My main criticisms of the game are related to UX/UI niggles. Managing/navigating contracts in general is clunky, and sometimes what is necessary for some objective is poorly communicated/confusing. On that latter aspect, I've gone to start a few contracts where I arrived at the start and found I didn't have the right setup, yet there was literally no special instruction, or any kind of information that I could see, that indicated what I should have gone there with.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
make sure you're using the anchors, and let the crane reel cargo in by dragging it until it's close enough to safely lift. if you're wondering what the differences are: the russian loading crane is lighter, weaker, and has a shorter boom than the NA loading crane. the russian heavy crane is heavier and stronger than the north american version.

as for the UI, yeah, it's rough at times, especially with the introduction of 40+ cargo missions. I've just gotten used to scrolling through a lot of map markers figuring out where the cargo I need is.

speaking of which, I broke my PB for cargo delivered in one trip. twinsteers rock

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

padijun posted:

make sure you're using the anchors, and let the crane reel cargo in by dragging it until it's close enough to safely lift. if you're wondering what the differences are: the russian loading crane is lighter, weaker, and has a shorter boom than the NA loading crane. the russian heavy crane is heavier and stronger than the north american version.

as for the UI, yeah, it's rough at times, especially with the introduction of 40+ cargo missions. I've just gotten used to scrolling through a lot of map markers figuring out where the cargo I need is.

speaking of which, I broke my PB for cargo delivered in one trip. twinsteers rock

The Russian heavy crane is also far faster than the North American one. Careful with that. On the smaller Russian trucks poo poo goes sideways quick.

I haven't used the twin steer trucks together. The Western Star has bigger tires and quicker steering, so it should be a good "leader". Maybe I'll try what you've done, in Taymyr and Wisconsin.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

:psyduck: that's nuts

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Oldstench posted:

:psyduck: that's nuts

I don't have the game yet but i'd have never thought to do that and now it makes me more excited to get the game

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

DoubleT2172 posted:

I don't have the game yet but i'd have never thought to do that and now it makes me more excited to get the game

I've played the game for like 60 113 hours and never thought to do that.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
113 hours is gonna be how long you stare at the map picking out a route where that isn't gonna get hung up.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

madeintaipei posted:

I haven't used the twin steer trucks together. The Western Star has bigger tires and quicker steering, so it should be a good "leader". Maybe I'll try what you've done, in Taymyr and Wisconsin.

they work extremely well together. the twinsteer paystar (twinstar? paysteer?) is the overloader's delight, I was using it by itself to do loads of 4-5 cargo without a trailer. both are hilariously thirsty with the new gearbox, but you can get around that by bringing an actaeon or other small fuel truck in the bed or on the trailer

zedprime posted:

113 hours is gonna be how long you stare at the map picking out a route where that isn't gonna get hung up.

depends on the route, the "road" from the brick plant to the paper mill is already suicidal in a loaded twinsteer, I wouldn't try towing something down as well. but the west cargo zone to the paper mill? easy, didn't even have to release the winch for the river section

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost
AAAaaaaaAAAaaagh! :argh:

Sorry, just needed to sweat that off. This game is killing me. And by that, of course, I mean I'm killing myself, because there is a dumb thing that I keep doing that I've not managed to correct just yet. Specifically, and as previously hinted at, I've got a real bad habit of tipping my vehicles. And just to stick the knife in a bit deeper, I've an unerring knack of doing this fairly close to my ultimate destination!

Part of this is rooted in the inner conflict I feel about the KRS 58 "Bandit". So good at getting places easily. Except when it gets all 'drama queen' and tips onto its side. I can't stop using it; its like a bad relationship I can't shake off.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

One annoying thing about this game is that you can sometimes lose cargo that's too close to the truck if you recover the truck after a tip. Have to remember the best way is always to send more trucks, I have a bad habit of mashing recover in a rage

e: One fun thing is the hilarious detection on "pack cargo" meaning you can sometimes load your tipped cargo back on by some miracle without a crane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

bobbilljim posted:

One annoying thing about this game is that you can sometimes lose cargo that's too close to the truck if you recover the truck after a tip. Have to remember the best way is always to send more trucks, I have a bad habit of mashing recover in a rage

e: One fun thing is the hilarious detection on "pack cargo" meaning you can sometimes load your tipped cargo back on by some miracle without a crane

There is enough broken poo poo that I never feel bad for closing the application (on PS4), before it autosaves after something goes wrong. Vs. Mudrunner, which is more of a "session" game, everything in Snowrunner takes too long to treat it like the older games. It's work. Muddy, grinding work.

That said, I always bring a crane of some sort for eventualities.