Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazyvanman
Dec 31, 2010

happyhippy posted:

Remember that celebrations pack that was dearer than if you just bought the bars separately.

A relative of mine used to own a sweet shop upto the 90s, and she would only get easter eggs that came with free mugs.
Don't see those much these days, just cardboard wastes of space.

Has anyone ever done a thing where they compare the cost of those celebrations/heroes/whatever tins and boxes with actually just buying chocolate? It's been a long time since I had dairy, but surely they are just a clever marketing ploy that are essentially a huge rip off. Like the amount of each individually wrapped sweet is wholly disappointing, but presumably people buy them because they have established themselves as a gift thing.

Edit: Oops, I've never landed a page snipe before. Can I make a joke about Prince Andrew and the number 15?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Mebh posted:

Are the labour right actually worse than some tories? It seems like it.

Theres always some cross over in awfulness.

Theres so little opposition in Scotland that the SNP are becoming their own opposition.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
You can just look at the price sticker and it tells you the price per kg, you don't even need to do any simple division (unless Britain has somehow opted out of this in which case lol)

E: lol Irish fake PM and general oval office Leo has some doubts about The Great British Breakout

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1367392600685174784?s=19

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Mar 4, 2021

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Is calling Starmer Keith a common thing now, because there's a guy on the local pollytics FB page who does it, and I don't know if it's now common or if I should be making sure that he doesn't like some deviant flavour of Monster Munch.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Angrymog posted:

Is calling Starmer Keith a common thing now, because there's a guy on the local pollytics FB page who does it, and I don't know if it's now common or if I should be making sure that he doesn't like some deviant flavour of Monster Munch.

It's been all over twitter for a while.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The labour right are thick as gently caress. Here is Chris Leslie's brother and the person responsible for the controls on immigration mug

https://twitter.com/ayeshahazarika/status/1367395830408359936?s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol

https://twitter.com/JasonGroves1/status/1367379736205352962?s=19

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Of course they'd say that.

They don't have principles.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Apparently Prince Philip had surgery yesterday so I guess that explains all the weird gently caress ups on the BBC, just checking it was good to go in case he died under the knife.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lungboy posted:

You just know that if the Tories ever decriminalised or legalised drugs, Labour would oppose it.
kierth has already stated that he'd oppose decriminalization because of [list of problems caused by criminalization] and got zero pushback over this, so yes.

Failed Imagineer posted:

You can just look at the price sticker and it tells you the price per kg, you don't even need to do any simple division (unless Britain has somehow opted out of this in which case lol)
UK system is sometimes it's per kg, sometimes per 100g, and sometimes per item or something just to confuse.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Not to defend Annalise Dodds, but "push 1.3 million low paid workers into the tax system" is exactly the sort of disengenuous framing of freezing the personal allowance that you'd expect from the Daily Mail's political editor.

Jose, when you do your twitter dumps, can you at least also post the person's bio or something? Because then it'd be more obvious when you're just spreading around the Daily Mail's editorial line

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/NevilleSouthall/status/1367413709472206850

I wonder if Big Nev will adopt me?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Angrymog posted:

Starmer isn't worthy of the name Keir.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Angrymog posted:

It started back when he was still the shadow Brexit secretary because of phones autocorrecting it to Keith and/or people getting the Kier/Keir thing wrong, which made the Fubpees sad and so inevitably the shitpost left jumped all over it (especially as he *kept* pretending that the fact his parents had named him after Kier Hardie was in some way relevant). Then the big-brains started the "Actually calling him Keith is basically holocaust denial" takes and the Streisand Effect did the rest. I'd be surprised if there's anyone in any political space in the UK who *isn't* calling him Keith at this point.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Kieth.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It started back when he was still the shadow Brexit secretary because of phones autocorrecting it to Keith and/or people getting the Kier/Keir thing wrong, which made the Fubpees sad and so inevitably the shitpost left jumped all over it (especially as he *kept* pretending that the fact his parents had named him after Kier Hardie was in some way relevant). Then the big-brains started the "Actually calling him Keith is basically holocaust denial" takes and the Streisand Effect did the rest. I'd be surprised if there's anyone in any political space in the UK who *isn't* calling him Keith at this point.

This is what started it https://www.timesofisrael.com/uk-jewish-groups-say-new-labour-leader-failing-to-crack-down-on-anti-semitism/

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Niric posted:

Not to defend Annalise Dodds, but "push 1.3 million low paid workers into the tax system" is exactly the sort of disengenuous framing of freezing the personal allowance that you'd expect from the Daily Mail's political editor.

Nah it's only selectively used in an argument but it's not wrong in a technical nor political sense.

Wage growth does take place and so people will move over the threshold, suddenly blunting the increase in their take home pay. Inflation is also occurring meaning unless there are nominal increases in the wage at least equal to that there is a real terms cut and so by fixing the level of the allowance there's a negative impact on those people earning just below the level pretty much no matter what.

By fixing the allowance it shrinks the usefulness of the allowance in terms of helping the poorer earners and it's worth attacking.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Koeth

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Kœth.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Smithers

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

It's cool we're getting a 24 hour TV version of this

https://twitter.com/talkRADIO/status/1367419953176010758?s=19

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

Camrath posted:

I love the idea, but I’m not sure fudge would be firm enough to hold its shape outside the mould for something as small as a .303

Now a .50BMG, maybe..

Incidentally I’m currently pricing out moulds- if I were to offer solid fudge Easter Eggs, would people be interested?

Would you consider having a go at peshwari spiced fudge?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Niric posted:

Jose, when you do your twitter dumps, can you at least also post the person's bio or something? Because then it'd be more obvious when you're just spreading around the Daily Mail's editorial line

It depends on the rest of the Dodds statement right

I think it says a lot that I don't trust that she would have made the connection that goons have made that there are more progressive options

Also, wasn't the whole point this that the new leadership were supposed to be savvy media operators who would avoid traps like this?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

"fudge eggs" sound like something from the pages of Viz but other than that go ahead

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

namesake posted:

Nah it's only selectively used in an argument but it's not wrong in a technical nor political sense.

Wage growth does take place and so people will move over the threshold, suddenly blunting the increase in their take home pay. Inflation is also occurring meaning unless there are nominal increases in the wage at least equal to that there is a real terms cut and so by fixing the level of the allowance there's a negative impact on those people earning just below the level pretty much no matter what.

By fixing the allowance it shrinks the usefulness of the allowance in terms of helping the poorer earners and it's worth attacking.

We went through this a couple of pages back, but it's effectively just a tax cut that has long been championed by the Mail, the tories and the lib dems - clegg even pointed to raising the allowance as one of his big achievements in government. So seeing people on the left champion it as a very progressive policy that Labour should endorse is pretty jarring.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Fumble posted:

Would you consider having a go at peshwari spiced fudge?

I’d need to know what spices are used for that, but if they can be easily obtained then certainly! The PSF/Apple Pie fudges have been consistently delicious and popular.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Camrath posted:

I’d need to know what spices are used for that, but if they can be easily obtained then certainly! The PSF/Apple Pie fudges have been consistently delicious and popular.

Coconut, almonds (as a flour like you'd make marzipan) and sultanas.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Niric posted:

It's the kind of thing you hear from idiot coworkers saying that if they do overtime then they'll go into a higher tax band and end up with less take-home pay.

Though in this case, I guess the idea is that if people's wages are increasing through inflation / higher minimum wage then people who weren't paying tax before then might have to. But it's going to be very small and negligible in comparison to the price increases we get from inflation which is the real paint point.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Mebh posted:

Coconut, almonds (as a flour like you'd make marzipan) and sultanas.

served in a naan

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Niric posted:

We went through this a couple of pages back, but it's effectively just a tax cut that has long been championed by the Mail, the tories and the lib dems - clegg even pointed to raising the allowance as one of his big achievements in government. So seeing people on the left champion it as a very progressive policy that Labour should endorse is pretty jarring.

Increasing it is a broad tax cut across the income range but freezing it is a way of changing the income tax base to start including some of the lowest earners. It should be increased at a rate of inflation meaningful to a regular person to stay neutral and any other changes evaluated with any other changes to the income tax or wider tax policy to examine what the impact is.

The government isn't making any other changes so all this does is shift the distribution of tax payers to include some of the poorer paid. It's fine to say it's bad.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Remember when Jiminy Croblyn wanted to end the public sector pay freeze?

Just think how many underpaid workers that would have pushed into the tax system.

Monster.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010

Jose posted:

It's cool we're getting a 24 hour TV version of this

https://twitter.com/talkRADIO/status/1367419953176010758?s=19

Probably strip it from the one who molests under age girls first.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

jez has upset the liberals pretending to be left wing party in canada by speaking to one of its MPs

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Borrovan posted:

Remember when Jiminy Croblyn wanted to end the public sector pay freeze?

Just think how many underpaid workers that would have pushed into the tax system.

Monster.

Except thats a pay increase policy meaning the policy itself is increasing incomes directly with a secondary impact on tax payments. Talking about how a change in tax codes will affect taxation and who pays it is different.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol

https://twitter.com/tom_usher_/status/1367430278403260418?s=20

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

namesake posted:

Except thats a pay increase policy meaning the policy itself is increasing incomes directly with a secondary impact on tax payments. Talking about how a change in tax codes will affect taxation and who pays it is different.
Yeah that was just a naff joke aping Daily Mail logic, I'm aware that freezing the allowance is a real-terms reduction

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Luckily capital gains tax rates weren't changed and you can still earn an additional £12k a year tax-free that way so the poor should build out their equity portfolios and adjust their overall income mix.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

crazyvanman posted:

Has anyone ever done a thing where they compare the cost of those celebrations/heroes/whatever tins and boxes with actually just buying chocolate?

p sure take a break that's life chat magazines do that every week

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Marmaduke! posted:

It's the kind of thing you hear from idiot coworkers saying that if they do overtime then they'll go into a higher tax band and end up with less take-home pay.

Though in this case, I guess the idea is that if people's wages are increasing through inflation / higher minimum wage then people who weren't paying tax before then might have to. But it's going to be very small and negligible in comparison to the price increases we get from inflation which is the real paint point.

The increasing of the banding year on year does help mitigate inflation to some extent though. If you earn say £18,000 a year then generally for the past 3 years your take home pay has increased by £100-£150 a year due to band increases. Over say 2018 your take home pay will have become worth something like £300-400 less in real terms so that seems significant.

Especially in a time when all companies will be blaming COVID on not giving cost of living wage rises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ONS/status/1367407911828414466?s=20

I don't really blame them but it will be interesting how this plays out over the next few months. The rate of people breaking the rules will be way, way higher for over 60s, over 50s etc and there's no way that unvaccinated younger people are gonna stay at home if vaccinated boomers are swanning about doing whatever they like.