Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

SynthesisAlpha posted:

The swamp is full of little disconnected paths and islands with shallow water (filled with leeches) everywhere. Using the hoe to smooth the terrain and raise bridges across the water makes cart travel possible, which makes getting iron in useful quantities possible. It is absolutely worth your time to build those roads and set up shelters to recover the rested buff (I build them up in the big trees and plop a fire underneath them).

I've been doing this even in the meadows/dark forest as soon as I unlocked the cart. The moment I got copper sources connected by road to a base with a smelter/kiln I was on easy street with bronze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Lima posted:

I feel like my seed is pretty awesome, at least for the first three bosses, so here it is: 9a6xEFJmfb

That's a lot of crypts. So far I've found one on my personal map. On our multiplayer map it looked more like yours.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Echophonic posted:

Does unarmed ever get to be worth a drat? I've been enjoying bringing fight night to the greydwarves.

I was loving around early on and I consoled in Unarmed to 100, and unfortunately, no. Completely worthless. Bows however? You're loving Legolas at 90+.
(I reset all the skills afterwards)

Zesty posted:

What do you mean to "terraform the swamp"? I just got to the Swamp in my progression. I have built my new main base a little bit outside of it in a pleasant meadow.

Come play on my private server! Hit me up on Steam tonight and I'll send deets.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

TeaJay posted:

That's a lot of crypts. So far I've found one on my personal map. On our multiplayer map it looked more like yours.

Some seeds the game shits crypts all over the place. Other seeds there's nothing. Maybe a bug in world generation?

In this swamp it's impossible to use the glowing green for navigation because it feels like there's always 2 or 3 crypts visible. We drop fire pits down to help mark the main road, even when unlit it's enough to get by.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

So far I would put it under "random". Also I haven't found a huge swamp island like that yet.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

A solid 80 hours put in this game. Done with all the current content. What a pleasant buy this was that lined up perfectly with a lull in work.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Otacon posted:

I was loving around early on and I consoled in Unarmed to 100, and unfortunately, no. Completely worthless. Bows however? You're loving Legolas at 90+.
(I reset all the skills afterwards)

Even at bows 50, with the iron bow, I'm a god of death. Trolls get stunlocked and die without doing much of anything.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

One of the best seeds is HHcLC5acQt

The first four bosses and merchant are on the first island. Fifth boss is close as well.
I restarted on this one and having a large black forest so close is divine. The last one I played on it was far, far away.

You do spawn very close to a troll cave and the first enemy that spotted me was a 1-star Greydwarf. Gotta book it right away but it's worth it.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 4, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

TeaJay posted:

So far I would put it under "random". Also I haven't found a huge swamp island like that yet.

Finding a big swamp does seem to be the key. Especially thin strips of swamp seem to never have crypts.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Will be interesting to see where they take the game in a year with new biomes/random landmarks/new enemies and resources and if there will be anything new to do in the world once you've beaten every boss.

Though in the meantime I imagine they will be too busy dealing with their new giant piles of money from 5 million copies sold.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah, 100 million smackaroos goes a long, long way when you team is something like 3-5 people, right?

I hope they slide in to the same lifestyle as the guy who made Terraria. He made a boatload of money, retired extremely early and pumps out large, free updates because he finds it fun.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah, 100 million smackaroos goes a long, long way when you team is something like 3-5 people, right?

I hope they slide in to the same lifestyle as the guy who made Terraria. He made a boatload of money, retired extremely early and pumps out large, free updates because he finds it fun.

I am guessing these devs will be similar, since you can tell that they really paid attention to detail and seemingly wanted to ship an already-functional Early Access product, which isn't always the norm.

I'm also curious about if you'll be able to "fresh start" a world once some of these updates are released. I wouldn't mind having to do that, but also hope they find some graceful ways to do that.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?

Space Skeleton posted:

The spear can attack two or three times before most enemies can get one swing off, which often let's you push things into their stagger animation. Then they don't get an attack and take double damage from the next hit.

I don't throw them much but occasionally it's nice while running up on something. I don't throw it when fighting alongside other players though.

I think of the spear as a skirmisher weapon. If I'm doing a lightly armored, high stamina configuration, I'll whip out the spear and one of the smaller shields and just dance in and out of melee range for basic enemies. It's also great if you have your ranged parries timed pretty well.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

bagmonkey posted:

I am guessing these devs will be similar, since you can tell that they really paid attention to detail and seemingly wanted to ship an already-functional Early Access product, which isn't always the norm.

I'm also curious about if you'll be able to "fresh start" a world once some of these updates are released. I wouldn't mind having to do that, but also hope they find some graceful ways to do that.

The unfinished biomes are already in the game, just not populated.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
This game needs a Wind Waker flute of some sort. I'm pretty sure I spent 80% of sailing last night directly into the wind going rowing speed.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

Especially thin strips of swamp seem to never have crypts.
This is likely a similar generation thing as copper nodes in the Forest biome - they only spawn beyond a certain distance from the shore from what I've seen.

Really looking forward to future updates opening up terrain generation customization like "large biomes" or "solid landmass" or "tiny islands" etc.

CitizenKain posted:

This game needs a Wind Waker flute of some sort. I'm pretty sure I spent 80% of sailing last night directly into the wind going rowing speed.
Kill the 4th boss.
There is also a mod that lets you burn cores to sail and ignore the wind. If you tweak the numbers down to "normal sailing" speeds, it's a viable alternative.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Ugh, I thought I had identified a great spot for a main base on my starting island - nice big meadow, big flat area for building, and even a semi-sheltered harbour. Built a ship to explore, and it turns out that this water is actually completely enclosed - big enough that there's even some Ocean biome in the middle, but no exit to the rest of the world.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Learn to tack. :colbert:

It'll make you feel like a real sailor!

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

sushibandit posted:

This is likely a similar generation thing as copper nodes in the Forest biome - they only spawn beyond a certain distance from the shore from what I've seen.

I have straight up seen a copper node literally on the water so that can't be the case.

Uldor
Feb 23, 2009

Gear... Fourth!
Been playing this a lot, possibly too much. This is server I host for my brother and another friend, our Plains base after he decided to land and build our outpost between 2 camps... (we haven't even killed Bonemass yet but he's nearby!) Kind of went crazy here while waiting for our free time to align

The Harbor

The Great Hall

Next is a forward base in the swamp on the other side of this island with a portal for the inevitable corpse runs

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Those piers are fantastic looking, gonna steal that wood trim idea in a hurry.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Seconded, amazing build.
Gonna have to step up my game with stone building.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

xzzy posted:

Learn to tack. :colbert:

It'll make you feel like a real sailor!

The area I was in was pretty narrow, didn't have room to tack there.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

I think a quirk of the worldgen may be that stuff ends up underwater. At least in my seed, a lot of the uselessly small patches of black forest are near the coast. Everywhere I sail on that coast id's itself as black forest, but the mainland is practically all meadow. There's a small island a little farther than you can see from the mainland that is all black forest. If you consider the whole area it would be a nice sized biome, but it yields practically zero black forest resources because it only pops out of the water in a few places. I wonder if something like that confounds whatever rules the game tries to use for the starting area. Like it tries to give you access to cores and beehives or whatever else, but they end up underwater.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

What's the best way to get blueberries and to a lesser extent raspberries? Do they always spawn in the same places, so I could mark them and return? Wandering around I manage to get a reasonable amount of raspberries since there's normally 5 or more per cluster, but blueberries seem to only be 1 or 2.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I mark wherever I find a good amount of raspberries and head back over there when I need restocks.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Broken Cog posted:

Seconded, amazing build.
Gonna have to step up my game with stone building.

i came here to get advice on how to judge the depth on simple stone pillars when trying to make a span of one whole arch on each side so i can get across a creek in a nice visual way, and see poo poo like this. lol

also realized that trollspawn from last night broke both the karve and longship. i dont see materials in the water - did they just disappear? i'm up for diving for them but might just respawn them at this point since my friend's gaming session apparently consisted of letting draugr and trolls destroy so much

and i finally, FINALLY realized berries and thistles respawn and should have marked them long ago

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer
The Body Recovery Squad

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-03-04-valheims-body-recovery-squad-will-help-you-get-your-items-back-and-all-for-free

Lucas then started to notice that this brutal experience was actually rather common in the Valheim community, with players confessing to rage quitting after losing their items, or grinding their way back to their tombstone... only to be slapped down again. "That singular moment, losing everything, can be so detrimental to players and has caused some to quit playing the game entirely," Lucas told me. "I thought to myself, what if it didn't have to be that way? What if there was a lifeline out there that helped players keep going?"

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Also, regarding stones, I wish they'd let us use the stonecutter to turn stones into "stone blocks" or something that you could use to build stone structures anywhere, it's annoying having to move the stonecutter around. The workshop isn't that big of a deal, since it's fairly cheap so you can just plop it down wherever.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ChristsDickWorship posted:

I think a quirk of the worldgen may be that stuff ends up underwater. At least in my seed, a lot of the uselessly small patches of black forest are near the coast. Everywhere I sail on that coast id's itself as black forest, but the mainland is practically all meadow. There's a small island a little farther than you can see from the mainland that is all black forest. If you consider the whole area it would be a nice sized biome, but it yields practically zero black forest resources because it only pops out of the water in a few places. I wonder if something like that confounds whatever rules the game tries to use for the starting area. Like it tries to give you access to cores and beehives or whatever else, but they end up underwater.

The game appears to not do any post processing to account for water. If you load up your map in valmap.dev it'll show islands connected that are definitely not connected in game. So the world gen builds a hex grid of biomes, does its heightmap magic, then slaps down the water at a set elevation. If some feature were to generate in a spot that is now underwater, it just doesn't get added to the game.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
It's been a long time since I was young and just walked through a forest with friends, finding abandoned deerblinds or wide open meadows that seem untouched, even a decently built up suburbs. This might be the first time in video games that has reminded me of that feeling. The forest generation is impeccable, and the high quality lighting really helps with that immersion.

And then a big blue troll suddenly swings a tree at you and smashes you in one hit.

Fantastic game.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I decided to just eat the iron cost and buried workshops and stonecutters under my floors across my whole base. I might dig them up and add a forge to each location too since some of the furniture needs it.

I don't know why they made building so irritating

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Azhais posted:

I decided to just eat the iron cost and buried workshops and stonecutters under my floors across my whole base. I might dig them up and add a forge to each location too since some of the furniture needs it.

I don't know why they made building so irritating

Maybe they could implement that upgraded work benches (and forges etc.) also upgrades the radius (and a large amount, not just a bit), so you could have a nice upgraded workshop hut that could extend to cover a whole base.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
We tried to conquer the fourth boss or mountain last night, couldn't find the boss, and the first mountain we climbed had literally nothing on it but deer. We even hung around at night, hoping for a wolf or something that terrorized us so long ago. Total bummer baby mountain. Then we went to a slightly bigger mountain north of it, got to a peak and found a little building... which had a rock golem, along with a blue ice dragon attacking us the same time. Both ended up dying, and dying again on the recovery trip. We probably could've survived our initial foray if we had the meads for it, but they were taking too long to ferment so we just set out too soon to our doom. Buddy logged off and I built a mountain camp and portal to save us the trek. I recovered both of our stuffs, but only because it was complete chaos up there. This little hidey holy we carved by a rock for a campfire to avoid freezing and also hide from golem was totally wrecked. The golem was fighting the dragon, the dragon and golem were fighting wolves, some fuckin greylings got involved. The landscape was torn up and there were loose corpse parts strewn about, I unlocked a few recipes without ever killing anything, haha. We'll go back tonight to clear the place out, but this mountain is also already starting to look pretty small too, we got one more potential range to explore on our megaisland and then I guess we gotta set sail? Are there mountain biomes ever immediately obvious from shore, or they just generate anywhere the terrain is sufficiently high?

Skyfire
Jul 2, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Are there mountain biomes ever immediately obvious from shore, or they just generate anywhere the terrain is sufficiently high?

If you're looking at them from a distance at sea, you can see a mountain outline.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

You get 6 meads per base you make, it's really not that much of a grind.

Where am I going to find 20 whole raspberries for 12 extra lives?! Do you want me to mark two clusters of berry bushes on my map or something?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
If I just got the game should I try to start a game with a "good" seed or just roll with what I have for now and see how it goes?

Also how does the game handle asynchronous progression? I work mostly night shift and play during most people's workdays usually. If I set up a dedicated server (because I think it'd be cool to work on stuff with friends even if not totally contemporaneously with them) and one of them kills a boss or whatever is it dead for the server and I wouldn't be able to kill it later?

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Just roll the dice in my opinion, more exciting that way.

You would be able to kill the boss again later for its loot, but the things that change in the world after killing a boss would already be activated because of your friends. Basically if your friends intend to rush the content without you then things might get a little unpleasant but it's doable if they don't go too far without you.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

30.5 Days posted:

Where am I going to find 20 whole raspberries for 12 extra lives?! Do you want me to mark two clusters of berry bushes on my map or something?

Ugh, what a grind! As if I'll ever walk past those bushes again, or see other berries while out wandering!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

If I just got the game should I try to start a game with a "good" seed or just roll with what I have for now and see how it goes?

Also how does the game handle asynchronous progression? I work mostly night shift and play during most people's workdays usually. If I set up a dedicated server (because I think it'd be cool to work on stuff with friends even if not totally contemporaneously with them) and one of them kills a boss or whatever is it dead for the server and I wouldn't be able to kill it later?

You have to actively summon bosses and they can be summoned multiple times (in fact, you can summon more than one at once if so inclined) BUT if they get SUPER far ahead they might get it so your base is attacked by stuff you can't handle so as a matter of politeness people probably shouldn't get TOO far ahead of the rest of the server.