Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
It's probably a combination of all of these.

On one front, the Arrow/CWverse is long in the tooth and there's a lot of it.They probably want to create the next phase of it around a new flagship show and a new visual palette and tone for it.
Superman and Lois is not built around the workplace/team cop show in a scifi HQ structure of the other CW shows.

Also, viewing has changed since Arrow came up, so a lot of the newer shows will likely be made to be more streaming-friendly
with stronger productions values since they have to become attractive catalogue titles for HBO Max.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Did we get an official episode count for this season?

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Did we get an official episode count for this season?

15 episodes, apparently.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Skwirl posted:

HBOMax is owned by Warner Brothers, as is DC Comics, Netflix probably has a bunch of outstanding contracts for CW shows, but new poo poo like Superman & Lois probably isn't showing up there

yeah, CW's longstanding Netflix deal expired after the 2018-2019 TV season. New seasons of CW shows that premiered that season and earlier still go to Netflix under the terms of that deal, but the rest have had their streaming rights handled on a case-by-case basis depending on whether CBS and/or WB owns them, with (afaik) most going to HBO Max for obvious reasons

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Just finished the episode as it went out about 15 minutes early tonight. Seems they've set up Wanda as potentially the next big bad. Probably at least of the next Dr Strange film. Definitely getting some House of M vibes in the post credit sequence. Also I know it won't be a popular opinion but I'm so relieved Evan Peters was in fact not Quicksilver. Nothing against him and maybe they could have made it work but I'm glad for now the Fox movies aren't being dragged into this.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

X-O posted:

Just finished the episode as it went out about 15 minutes early tonight. Seems they've set up Wanda as potentially the next big bad. Probably at least of the next Dr Strange film. Definitely getting some House of M vibes in the post credit sequence. Also I know it won't be a popular opinion but I'm so relieved Evan Peters was in fact not Quicksilver. Nothing against him and maybe they could have made it work but I'm glad for now the Fox movies aren't being dragged into this.

I don't think that's it at all yes she's reading the Darkhold, but what that scene was about is her hearing her kids are out there, somewhere, and they need her help

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

twistedmentat posted:

I don't think that's it at all yes she's reading the Darkhold, but what that scene was about is her hearing her kids are out there, somewhere, and they need her help

Uh, the whole thing with the Darkhold is that it corrupts the souls of those who read it.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Did the Darkhold look different than in AoS? Not that it matters — just curious and can’t remember

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

omg chael crash posted:

Did the Darkhold look different than in AoS? Not that it matters — just curious and can’t remember

Yes. Considerably so.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

omg chael crash posted:

It absolutely did.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I don't necessarily think Wanda is going big evil, but I do think that she's not done causing trouble, even if that trouble is as simple as blasting open the doors to the Sanctum and demanding some help in finding her boys in the multiverse

Really curious to see what Vision 2.0 does in the long run. There's some potential for bringing Ultron back there, or maybe bringing in some new AI-based characters depending on how it hashes out.

If George Perez watched this, I bet he's pleased with how this episode turned out

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Mar 5, 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

omg chael crash posted:

Agents of Shield spoilers: this is what the Darkhold of Darkness: The Darkening

looked like

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Mar 5, 2021

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Mid credit and post credit scene for Wandavision this week, in case anybody wasn't checking.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I like how the presence of the Darkhold simultaneously confirms AoS as canon and throws it under the bus as not canon. Personally I'll go with canon because it's more fun to think that and many comics have huge gaping continuity gaps and visual inconsistencies between them anyway.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I appreciate that Bettany kinda wasn't lying when he said he had great chemistry with himself.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Agatha got dealt with pretty harshly I thought, given her crimes were essentially the same as Wanda's but much smaller in scale. They've definitely left room for her to be back at least.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

X-O posted:

Uh, the whole thing with the Darkhold is that it corrupts the souls of those who read it.

Oh? So Raimi's going to recreate the infamous Spidey 3 scene, but with Elisabeth Olsen?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Agatha got dealt with pretty harshly I thought, given her crimes were essentially the same as Wanda's but much smaller in scale. They've definitely left room for her to be back at least.
Yeah I think the only person she actually hurt was (sigh) Ralph Bohner?

I mean I guess she killed her coven too but there's got to be a statute of limitations on that.

edit: Oh wait I forgot she killed Sparky too. Yeah burn her. :colbert:

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 5, 2021

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

There was a cool Raimi reference in this episode, which I appreciated - Oz the great powerful briefly appearing on the cinema.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I loved the bit where Vision logic loop'd white Vision into just leaving. Always a fan of when superheroes do something other than punch their problems. Immediately when WV said "I am to destroy The Vision" I said "You are The Vision." so when the story addressed that I was into it.

Wanda's new Scarlet Witch look rules.

Shame she's going all the way off the deep end. Stephen is not going to be happy about any of this.

Any idea when we'll next see Monica? Does Nick Fury have upcoming projects? Captain Marvel 2 is gonna be about Kamala isn't it?

Good finale. I think the folks who worked their selves into a shoot on how much it was going to do with mutants or the F4 or confirming the Fox universe might be disappointed, but not me. Bring on Falcon/Bucky.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
tbh i half expected the post credits scene to be wanda training with strange.

was weird that white vision got his memories back and then just hosed off for the rest of the episode

the saying goodbye scene was suitably sappy, and i guess we all knew it was gonna happen but then having wanda just walk away felt like a lovely resolution, i kinda thought they might have her turn herself in to monica (who i also expected them to promote to head of sword at the end with heyward arrested)

sad that they didn't have a little mt. wundagore location label on the post credits scene

at least they left open the potential for agatha to return in multiverse of madness

maybe we'll see babyhands pandamonium too i guess

site fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 5, 2021

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

WandaVision finale wasn't bad, but I can't say it stuck the landing:

-Agatha/Wanda witches' duel consisting mostly of them shooting CG lasers and energy blasts at each other, even though the MCU has already created a much more interesting visual language for magic
-weirdly abrupt resolution for the SWORD characters (granted, I didn't find them very interesting anyway so it feels weird to complain about the finale giving less screen time to the weakest aspect of the series, but it felt like a couple scenes were cut out here)
-the finale takes pains to make clear that Wanda really has hurt people and is responsible for it, but she doesn't actually do much of anything in the way of taking accountability for her actions, she just flies away while feeling bad about it
-the one thing I most wanted to happen in the finale, the twins being aged up, didn't happen. yes, the end credits scene confirms they're still alive as kids, but that still leaves a lot of questions for me about how they'll be handled going forward given the franchise's less than stellar record of LGBT representation

can't help but think how, had COVID not screwed up the schedule, Doctor Strange 2 would be opening only a few months or so after the WV finale instead of a fuckin' year. sigh

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i know there only so much time but it was kinda lame how little we got of darcy and monica in the last couple episodes. i mean darcy literally was in this episode for 5 whole seconds

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

drat, Wanda really fate-worse-than-death'd Agatha. Savage.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I giggled at the Tannhauser Gate reference.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
There are TWO post credit scens. One after the tv screen and the second after the english scrolling credits.

edit: thoughts on finale

Kind of low key ending, Vision and the kids are hexed away, we find out Pietro was Ralph but enchanted, everyone in town hates Wanda for what they did to her.

There were also a few cuts that really took me out of the viewing experience, I guess to keep things from being too violent? The biggest was when the car slammed into Agatha, you don't see the hit. Just the car starting to move and then the car smashing into the house, I don't think it was to set up the wizard of oz joke, either. There was another where the Visions crater into the ground, but it goes from them flying at the ground to them emerging from the crater, I think there was a third too, but I'm not sure.

It wasn't a very satisfying wrap up, I didn't hate it though. Very surprised there was no Dr Strange cameo.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

lmao they made Scarlet Witch Anung Un Rama

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

MacheteZombie posted:

I giggled at the Tannhauser Gate reference.

Yeah same, esp with where it lead to

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Barry Convex posted:

-the one thing I most wanted to happen in the finale, the twins being aged up, didn't happen. yes, the end credits scene confirms they're still alive as kids, but that still leaves a lot of questions for me about how they'll be handled going forward given the franchise's less than stellar record of LGBT representation

Oh that's easy. Wanda retrieves their souls from Limbo where they aged up, and hey meet our new Russian friend we found there...

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Karloff posted:

There was a cool Raimi reference in this episode, which I appreciated - Oz the great powerful briefly appearing on the cinema.

I like that they're setting up an upcoming Sam Raimi movie with a scene of a zoom into a cabin in the middle of nowhere where someone is reading a demonic book.

That had to be on purpose.

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

Gavok posted:

I like that they're setting up an upcoming Sam Raimi movie with a scene of a zoom into a cabin in the middle of nowhere where someone is reading a demonic book.

That had to be on purpose.

Also when the magic barrier is collapsing there’s a shot where it’s winding through the street towards the house that immediately made me think of that as well.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Soonmot posted:

The biggest was when the car slammed into Agatha, you don't see the hit. Just the car starting to move and then the car smashing into the house, I don't think it was to set up the wizard of oz joke, either.

That series of shots looked so bad that I'm 99% sure it was caused by a production issue. There's no way they edited it like that willingly.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

JordanKai posted:

That series of shots looked so bad that I'm 99% sure it was caused by a production issue. There's no way they edited it like that willingly.

yeah that stood out even on first watch as really bad editing. not sure about that rationale, though, I've seen some poor editing in Marvel Studios films before

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Aphrodite posted:

Oh that's easy. Wanda retrieves their souls from Limbo where they aged up, and hey meet our new Russian friend we found there...

It's a setup to Dr. Strange, so there's no way they're not in Nightmare World. Obviously Wanda's big mistake was putting them to bed before letting their souls get cut loose.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
took me a minute to pin it down but now that i recognize it it's funny that luthor in S&L is wearing the doom slayer armor

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
One thing that may have been too subtle on WandaVision was Monica figuring out Ralph's beads were the key to Agatha's spell. I had to watch it 3 times to get that she's using her Spectrum powers to see the energy.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

site posted:

i know there only so much time but it was kinda lame how little we got of darcy and monica in the last couple episodes. i mean darcy literally was in this episode for 5 whole seconds

re:Darcy in particular, I think there must have been some issue with Kat Dennings' availability during the part of filming that was done during COVID. hard to see why else she'd have only been in like one shot of the entire episode; there's even a line of dialogue in the mid-credits scene where she should be present that attempts to handwave away her absence

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
My issue issue is, in the comics, Agatha Harkness was never a villain.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Skwirl posted:

My issue issue is, in the comics, Agatha Harkness was never a villain.

In a similar out of the comics problem, my brother messaged me this morning angry that a lot of the big fight was just shooting magic beams at each other. I get that complaint for Agatha, but shooting magic beams is literally Scarlet Witch's original and primary superpower, right? She shoots hex bolts. It's never been especially well defined what those are exactly, but one thing's for sure, they're her specialty.

It feels like he's mad that all these Cyclops fights keep using eye lasers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's kinda like the complaint that all MCU villains are dark mirrors of the hero, but like... basically every superhero has one of those for a reason, and most of them are major parts of their rogues' galleries.