Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

People really need to be more conscious of saying "they had a huge heart" when talking about a deceased person who was notably overweight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Cats are disgusting, paying to have an animal that shits in a box and makes you clean it up is lunacy. Get a dog, they actually love you, and understand the importance of not making GBS threads in a box in my house.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

cats are actually great like all animals

my cat shits outside for the most part. he digs a hole and makes a serious face while taking a dump

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It's the face you make when a goon always watches you do a poo poo.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

my cat also literally embraces me when i come home after being away for a long time, like walks up to me jumps and grabs my waist and hangs on

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
It’s pretty well-established that cats form emotional bonds with people very much like dogs do. If cats don’t like you it might be a you problem

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

all animals are good. you don't get to choose, they get blanket approval

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Someone's getting a Dreamcast full of good animals for Yule.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I'm like a Disney princess but it only works with Canada geese.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Most people who own a dog or a cat probably shouldn't

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Communal dogs would be better in every way. Cats are basically communal anyway.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

"anthropomorphization" is a really misused term. it's usually used to remind people not interpret animal behaviors as emotional, in that beep boop style like "the female is looking for a suitable mate" or "by engaging in a symbiotic relationship with its owner the dog receives sustenance" and stuff. this is completely wrongheaded because in order to be attracted to specific behaviors the rewards need to feel good i.e. the animal is likely motivated purely by what feels good, they don't have the capacity to intellectualize their actions after all. i get that this is done in biology and ecology to avoid giving something other than a pure description of what the animal does instead of what it feels but in popular consciousness it has led to people thinking animals are like ayn rand calculating consumers or something

like the lion doesn't think "time to acquire sustenance so that i may find a mate and pass on my genes" it just goes like "that was yummy well time to gently caress"

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I completely agree. I know my cat has feelings and intelligence about things on an emotional level because he listens to music. Fucker (his name is Fucker. I didn't name him) really enjoys Eurotrance. If I turn it on he runs in and sits with me til it's off. That's not him getting anything but musical comfort.

I have a chicken that super enjoys being hugged. She jumps into your arms. My dog thinks she's a walrus and honks for fish. Animals of course have emotions because every last one of my animals pout when they don't get treats.

The people that subscribe to animals-as-robot thinking are typically so far up their own rear end they wouldn't allow their animals to exhibit these traits because it doesn't follow the rubric.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shibawanko posted:

all animals are good. you don't get to choose, they get blanket approval

mosquitos

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Mosquitoes are pollinators and a source of food for some good animals that are nice. Plus they help keep water plants healthy and clear of muck.

Every living being has a good side.

Wait no I thought of one. Tree asps. Puss mouth assholes.

fizzymercury has a new favorite as of 12:42 on Mar 4, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The idea that cats are hands-off and antisocial leads to a lot of neglected cats

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
While animals certainly have emotions, I do see a lot of people assume human motivations for animal behavior, especially in their pets. Stuff like "Whiskers left a mouse in my shoe because I switched his food brand" or "Spot knows he's in trouble! Look at that guilty face!" A cat can be unhappy because it's food changed but it doesn't understand a concept like revenge or that humans don't like dead mice in thier shoes. A dog doesn't feel remorse because it knows that his owner prefered the couch cushions in one piece, its just concerned/frightened because the human is acting strangely and yelling "WHAT DID YOU DO?!" over and over.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Hardcordion posted:

While animals certainly have emotions, I do see a lot of people assume human motivations for animal behavior, especially in their pets. Stuff like "Whiskers left a mouse in my shoe because I switched his food brand" or "Spot knows he's in trouble! Look at that guilty face!" A cat can be unhappy because it's food changed but it doesn't understand a concept like revenge or that humans don't like dead mice in thier shoes. A dog doesn't feel remorse because it knows that his owner prefered the couch cushions in one piece, its just concerned/frightened because the human is acting strangely and yelling "WHAT DID YOU DO?!" over and over.

yeah but those ideas tend to go hand in hand, it's ultimately based on an arbitrary distinction between wild and domesticated, pet and beast. people love watching lions tear antilopes to shreds on tv and shark week for some reason and these tend to be the same people that think their cat is plotting against them because they made him wear a hat or whatever, both are about treating animals from a utilitarian mindset instead of just seeing them as creatures with their own minds and so on

like dumbass youtube comments under animal videos which are either like "awwww the raccoon feels guilty" or "THIS ANIMAL IS MISTREATED IT BELONGS IN THE WILD" no matter the situation

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

dogs definitely know they hosed up before their owners get mad

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Beep boop beep cats and dogs are flesh machines it is illogical to assign assume they feel as the humans do also I have a stack of flashcards with faces on them so I can memorize human emotions and how to react to them

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Don't you have a company to run, zuck

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It's not contradictory, in fact it is correct, to say that animals have emotional lives of their own and that the vast majority of humans misinterpret animal reactions as if they had emotional lives identical to those of humans.

This gets even worse with non-mammals. See: poo poo like people carrying their snakes or lizards around town or seeing a dominance behaviour in a solitary species housed communally and going "awww they're hugging"

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
Relaxed pets are better then excitable pets

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's not contradictory, in fact it is correct, to say that animals have emotional lives of their own and that the vast majority of humans misinterpret animal reactions as if they had emotional lives identical to those of humans.

This gets even worse with non-mammals. See: poo poo like people carrying their snakes or lizards around town or seeing a dominance behaviour in a solitary species housed communally and going "awww they're hugging"

It’s this. Anthropomorphic feelings are putting human emotions on other things, saying they have emotional lives is good and cool and most people understand that but claiming they’re thinking what you’d think if nothing about you changed except your size/body shape is dumb.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

no but you need some kind of working model of what their minds are like even if you can't directly know what a dog feels. we still have a common ancestor and it's not like they're from a different planet either, a lot of emotions probably are co-extensive

if a dog has a big happy face, chances are, it's happy. if a chicken keeps jumping on your lap and clucking at you, chances are, it likes you. people often call this anthropomorphism but it really isn't, if anything the "completely alien automaton driven by food stimuli" thing is more anthropomorphic since it's clearly rooted in theories of human behavior and evolutionary psychology

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The dog thing is a good example of where people fail tho. Dogs specifically we don't have too much body language trouble with because they're all but genetically engineered to accommodate us. But people will assume other animals "smile" or "wag their tail" or so on to communicate happiness when it actually means they're upset.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

no but you need some kind of working model of what their minds are like even if you can't directly know what a dog feels. we still have a common ancestor and it's not like they're from a different planet either, a lot of emotions probably are co-extensive

if a dog has a big happy face, chances are, it's happy. if a chicken keeps jumping on your lap and clucking at you, chances are, it likes you. people often call this anthropomorphism but it really isn't, if anything the "completely alien automaton driven by food stimuli" thing is more anthropomorphic since it's clearly rooted in theories of human behavior and evolutionary psychology

Sure, but it goes deeper than that (and that's what actual researchers/animal behaviorists mean when they say not to anthropomorphize dogs/etc.) in that you don't actually know why the dog is happy/upset/etc. and attributing human causes (they're happy because their favorite music is on, etc.) is also an oversimplification. They could just associate whatever music with that time you were happy and pet them and gave them treats, so it's more about the companionship and general vibes than the fact that they love bluegrass or whatever.

I do agree with you though that trying to treat them like robots is bad and dumb.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Captain Monkey posted:

Sure, but it goes deeper than that (and that's what actual researchers/animal behaviorists mean when they say not to anthropomorphize dogs/etc.) in that you don't actually know why the dog is happy/upset/etc. and attributing human causes (they're happy because their favorite music is on, etc.) is also an oversimplification. They could just associate whatever music with that time you were happy and pet them and gave them treats, so it's more about the companionship and general vibes than the fact that they love bluegrass or whatever.

I do agree with you though that trying to treat them like robots is bad and dumb.

I don't appreciate the skepticism in this post because the idea of a dog that loves bluegrass is incredibly cool.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I actually came from like 400 pages back to post this but basically there are major issues imo in the fields of animal cognition as well as paleoanthropology and dealing with things like Neanderthals.

These issues basically boil down to Humans really want to be special, and we will constantly pick up and move goalpost to accomplish this.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the truth sometimes is actually in the middle. it is good to moderate extreme views in most cases unless the prevailing view is clearly ridiculous and the extreme view is the reasonable one

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Telsa Cola posted:

I actually came from like 400 pages back to post this but basically there are major issues imo in the fields of animal cognition as well as paleoanthropology and dealing with things like Neanderthals.

These issues basically boil down to Humans really want to be special, and we will constantly pick up and move goalpost to accomplish this.

yeah well maybe if those stupid animals had thumbs they could pick up the goalposts and move them back

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

hawowanlawow posted:

yeah well maybe if those stupid animals had thumbs they could pick up the goalposts and move them back

*chimp picks up goal post and puts it back*

Well you see the goal post hasn't been perfectly aligned into a regulation orientation and furthermore...

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Captain Monkey posted:

That's still acknowledging that they like things for emotional reasons. I only like eurotrance because my cat does and he only likes it because I play it for him as a way to get the old bastard to snuggle. I don't think my dog actually thinks she's a walrus (I kinda hope she does) but she gets emotional about fish. You can notice they have personality traits and also it's cool if they like it because ~reasons~ that you fictionalize for them. I think it's weird when people don't make up little stories about their pets. Just don't believe it for real, obviously.

The people that won't acknowledge the things that their animals like and reward them for being cool about it because "your pets shouldn't act like that they're animals and you're coddling it". are horrible awful people. And they're loud and they're everywhere.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

when I play Steve Reich my cat gets pissed off and leaves, cats are clods

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

This cat is laying in a vulnerable position in a sunbeam, purring, and has his eyes half closed. An imbecile, and I do mean a completely illiterate reprobate, would look at this scene and conclude in their delusional ape brains that this animal is comfortable, or even "happy".

The reality of this situation could not be further from the truth. That animal is a machine made of bone and meat, on the cognitive level of a can opener or a particularly active brick. I, as a human, have a special evolutionary path that has given me and me alone the twin gifts of sapience and emotion.

Please read more about this subject in my next Great Lakes Area Mensa Chapter email blast and please join our Facebook debate group, where you can find an oasis of euphoric logic in a desert of the mind.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

fizzymercury posted:

That's still acknowledging that they like things for emotional reasons. I only like eurotrance because my cat does and he only likes it because I play it for him as a way to get the old bastard to snuggle. I don't think my dog actually thinks she's a walrus (I kinda hope she does) but she gets emotional about fish. You can notice they have personality traits and also it's cool if they like it because ~reasons~ that you fictionalize for them. I think it's weird when people don't make up little stories about their pets. Just don't believe it for real, obviously.

The people that won't acknowledge the things that their animals like and reward them for being cool about it because "your pets shouldn't act like that they're animals and you're coddling it". are horrible awful people. And they're loud and they're everywhere.

yeah i once visited people who had a basset hound who they thought was "too enthusiastic" and they generally behaved like they watched too much cesar milan. i just wanted to grab their dog but they told me i couldnt because it would make him too excited and forget his place or some bullshit like that, i grabbed him anyway

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
otoh it's possible to anthropomorphize your pet to the point its harmful to them. You have to be knowledgeable of the species and their behaviours and requirements and like, it's not "mean" to train your dog, or to acknowledge that your snake does not love you the way you love it.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Oh for sure. Yeah Ana the Seal came to us from outer space and swapped bodies with a dog in the particle beam transmitter but she's still a dog. There's people like my Mom that named her dog Todd and bought him little shoes and hats and fed him people food. They're nuts and they need help.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

hawowanlawow posted:

dogs definitely know they hosed up before their owners get mad

Yeah, if I ever came home and my dog was moping at the door I knew for sure there was either garbage or poop somewhere there was not supposed to be garbage or poop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Fries should have the sauce dumped directly on top of them and be eaten with a fork