Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Game is worth is solely based on Elvis’s accent IMO, I could listen to him refer to cats as Moggy-Woggies all day

its orrible i swapped to japanese immediately after hearing him talk lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh hiding in the grass. They hide some good poo poo in the grass, I've found.

I honestly didn't notice an accent on Seth, his voice sounded basically "default" to me. I've thought all the voice acting so far has been really good. I'm not sure exactly what the fourth lady party member (her name is less memorable) is doing but think the performance is good.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

the best english voice actor was randomly the innkeeper lady at the very start. my gf spoke up from across the room "how come shes the only one who's acting?"

shes scottish so i wont let her hear elvis

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Oh hiding in the grass. They hide some good poo poo in the grass, I've found.

I honestly didn't notice an accent on Seth, his voice sounded basically "default" to me. I've thought all the voice acting so far has been really good. I'm not sure exactly what the fourth lady party member (her name is less memorable) is doing but think the performance is good.

Given the nature of Bravely games, it makes me wonder if there's any plot significance to it.

Plot speculation (please don't confirm or deny): Seth having an outright American English accent and his "amnesia" regarding not remembering anything about the world makes me think he's not even of this world.

Everyone else has hyper specific UK accents, with Gloria, Elvis, and Adelle being British, Scottish, and Irish(ish), respectively. The entire world is accented, except for Seth.

I only just finished chapter 3 and find myself pretty engaged with the story and characters!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I finished the Berserker boss fight before going to bed last night and goddamn I'm glad I remembered to swap Gloria to a white mage since I did every other boss fight in Chapter 1 without one and only beat them due to having hi-potions from forage. On another note the Gambler boss fight was some understandably RNG bullshit and I probably should've waited a bit instead of getting it as soon as it was available but it seems neat. Leveling it sucks because of all-or-nothing though.

Once I get Magpie on a thief or two I think I'm going to have to go try cheesing some rare steals from rare enemies.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
Spoilers for chapter 4 job synergies. Does a mastered Salve-Maker function with or instead of the Sub-Job BP Saver ability? Edit: that was a dumb question, they stack. Thief's Steal Courage costs 0 BP.

do u believe in marigolds fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 4, 2021

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I keep mousing over spoilers for the early desert zone since I'm past it and see people talking about the Gambler job, did I manage to miss a sidequest that gives you a job?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I keep mousing over spoilers for the early desert zone since I'm past it and see people talking about the Gambler job, did I manage to miss a sidequest that gives you a job?

There seems to be this whole game spanning card game thing to do to get it but so many people seem to have gotten it right away that I guess you can just grind points off c rank players loitering around the first two towns until you can play for that job?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Yes, if you know the job name you have a good idea of where to look for it.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

yeah, I'll check it out when I play later, I know where it must be, I'm just surprised. I'd even been a "pshh, they don't hide sidequests that bad" guy

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Evil Fluffy posted:

When is this available? I just got the beastmaster job. I would expect the quest to learn this one would be where I would expect it to be but I've seen no quests in there yet.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

When is this available? I just got the beastmaster job. I would expect the quest to learn this one would be where I would expect it to be but I've seen no quests in there yet.

It's available now. I got it immediately after Beastmaster. Check out the Gaming Hall!

You don't need to play too many matches to unlock the battle.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I would wager it's available when your party is ready to move on to the next town

e: I'm wrong as hell, boy

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

It should pop up soon. Remember to check at night (and that day/night does not cycle when you are in town or in a dungeon). I can't remember if I grabbed it before or after the next Asterisk, but Beastmaster is close.

Sep 13, 2007

yeah, I'll check it out when I play later, I know where it must be, I'm just surprised. I'd even been a "pshh, they don't hide sidequests that bad" guy

You don't have to play too many matches of the card game if it isn't your thing and even after I've gotten the Asterisk I still haven't had anyone level in it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I have gotten a couple sidequests asking me to collect some material I have no idea where from that unlike other gathering quests doesn't appear on the map.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

do u believe in marigolds posted:

You don't have to play too many matches of the card game if it isn't your thing and even after I've gotten the Asterisk I still haven't had anyone level in it.

buddy I am all in on card games. no problems here

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Are the sailing rewards better if you let it run the full 12 hours or is it entirely random? I've gotten into the groove of camping outside the sailing shack and popping in to grab my treasure whenever I get bored working from home.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

Man, the late- and endgame takes the gloves off and slaps you around with them. :catstare:

So you know how all the tooltips talk about "level 12 or higher" in regards to jobs? (late/postgame spoilers) Yeah so to get past level 12 you gotta fight for the privilege in challenge asterisk boss fights and hot holy poo poo one of them is a utter redefinition of the word "sustain". It's White Mage, Red Mage, Vanguard, and Ranger all with their level 15 job skills. Since White Mage's is loving arise all, they have to die first, but you spend so much of the fight provoked onto the Vanguard while the White and Red Mages just pour out healing constantly.

I must be underleveled or something because the fight took a loving hour.

I'm glad I moused over this spoiler because it's something to be excited about for me :v:

One of my favorite parts of the first Bravely Default was fighting the remixed asterisk bosses towards the end, when they started fighting in teams against you. Glad to see that's back!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

stev posted:

Are the sailing rewards better if you let it run the full 12 hours or is it entirely random? I've gotten into the groove of camping outside the sailing shack and popping in to grab my treasure whenever I get bored working from home.

12 hours just seems to be when the exploration log entries max out, and maybe it guarantees a reward for the final entry?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Communist Thoughts posted:

the best english voice actor was randomly the innkeeper lady at the very start. my gf spoke up from across the room "how come shes the only one who's acting?"

shes scottish so i wont let her hear elvis

The VA for Elvis is actually Scottish.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I have gotten a couple sidequests asking me to collect some material I have no idea where from that unlike other gathering quests doesn't appear on the map.

You can pull up the list of side quests under Travelogue and change which ones are marked on your map. You can only have three side quests active at once so if you already have three active you’ll have to deactivate one before you can activate another one. Hope that helps!

Edit: I don’t think there’s a way to look at a history of completed side quests, though, which is kinda stupid considering they’re already numbered. Maybe they could also be highlighted when they’re available, too? Or would that be too user friendly?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I have it on Japanese and really enjoy imagining how bad Elvis and Dag sound based on their subtitles.

Strewth.

Secx
Mar 1, 2003

Hippopotamus retardus
I grinded and maxed Freelancer for JP Up and JP Up and Up before finishing the prologue after an hour and change.

I can finally start playing this stupid game

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

You can pull up the list of side quests under Travelogue and change which ones are marked on your map. You can only have three side quests active at once so if you already have three active you’ll have to deactivate one before you can activate another one. Hope that helps!

Edit: I don’t think there’s a way to look at a history of completed side quests, though, which is kinda stupid considering they’re already numbered. Maybe they could also be highlighted when they’re available, too? Or would that be too user friendly?

Oh at the time I already had 3 sidequests so that would make sense why it never appeared. Thanks.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Oh at the time I already had 3 sidequests so that would make sense why it never appeared. Thanks.

It also won’t automatically activate an inactive quest when you complete an active one which is bad design IMO

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Secx posted:

I grinded and maxed Freelancer for JP Up and JP Up and Up before finishing the prologue after an hour and change.

I can finally start playing this stupid game

Me, 23 hours later: Sure would be nice to have more than 2 ability slots :v:

Solarflare
Apr 21, 2008

Impermanent posted:

Well as of very early In chapter 3 magical, sustainable dps is extremely attainable

Can you elaborate on this a bit? Right now my Elvis is a Pictomancer/BLM and magic damage has felt anemic for quite a while. I'm also at the beginning of chapter 3.

Solarflare fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 4, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Solarflare posted:

Can you elaborate on this a bit? Right now my Elvis is a Pictomancer/BLM and magic damage has felt anemic for quite a while. I'm also at the beginning of chapter 3.

My guess is it involves Red Mage. The level 12 specialty for Red Mage is Chain Spell, which makes every spell you cast automatically cast a second time for free, effectively doubling your magic damage. Red Mage primary with Black Mage secondary is really strong once you have Red Mage at level 12.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Harrow posted:

My guess is it involves Red Mage. The level 12 specialty for Red Mage is Chain Spell, which makes every spell you cast automatically cast a second time for free, effectively doubling your magic damage. Red Mage primary with Black Mage secondary is really strong once you have Red Mage at level 12.

Kinda sucks though because you lose all those delicious JPs.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
So far I find myself wishing dungeons had some light puzzles in them or something. Even just a basic push block puzzle or something would help break up some of the lengthy dungeons.

Also Berserker is one of my favorite jobs. Once you learn the many ways you can abuse slow speed buff stacking and berserk their burst damage goes through the roof.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Harrow posted:

I'm glad I moused over this spoiler because it's something to be excited about for me :v:

One of my favorite parts of the first Bravely Default was fighting the remixed asterisk bosses towards the end, when they started fighting in teams against you. Glad to see that's back!

I just finished another of them. Salvemaker, Shieldmaster, Swordmaster. That fight was so loving hard and SO loving satisfying to get the win.

Turns out that putting Break Damage Limit on your person who casually hits 9999 allowing them to now hit for 20k+ is really good!

Natural 20 posted:

About that... Technically, any JP you earn on a job that's at 12 is banked for the future when you unlock level 15 for them!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

Yeah, I have sorta mixed feelings about how powerful the level 12 job-specific abilities are.

On the one hand, it's really cool to have it matter so much (for most of the game) which job is your primary job. When both are at job level 12, there's a pretty big difference between a Black Mage/Red Mage and a Red Mage/Black Mage because the most powerful passives they get are (again, for most of the game) job-specific.

On the other, this encourages you to use mastered jobs a lot of the time, which means you aren't using the JP you're earning to level up other jobs, which can lead to feeling the need to grind up new jobs all at once so you can get back to using your really powerful setups.

I do find that things like JP Orbs help alleviate this somewhat, at least.

Kyrosiris posted:

About that... Technically, any JP you earn on a job that's at 12 is banked for the future when you unlock level 15 for them!

I was wondering about that! That's cool.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Harrow posted:

Yeah, it's been funny because every one of those trials I've cleared, the jobs have basically been 15 immediately because my team lineup has been so intact for so long.

Also, about that, some of these level 15 job abilities are completely off the wall bonkers. "Add 3 turns to all active songs for 1 BP!" "Cast Arise on everyone for like 100 MP!" "HIT A FUCKER 9 TIMES for 99 MP" This endgame is a ton of fun. :D

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I have sorta mixed feelings about how powerful the level 12 job-specific abilities are.

On the one hand, it's really cool to have it matter so much (for most of the game) which job is your primary job. When both are at job level 12, there's a pretty big difference between a Black Mage/Red Mage and a Red Mage/Black Mage because the most powerful passives they get are (again, for most of the game) job-specific.

On the other, this encourages you to use mastered jobs a lot of the time, which means you aren't using the JP you're earning to level up other jobs, which can lead to feeling the need to grind up new jobs all at once so you can get back to using your really powerful setups.

I do find that things like JP Orbs help alleviate this somewhat, at least.

I kinda like this! It forces me to switch jobs constantly and approach basically every boss fight with a different setup.

Sep 13, 2007

FZeroRacer posted:

So far I find myself wishing dungeons had some light puzzles in them or something. Even just a basic push block puzzle or something would help break up some of the lengthy dungeons.

Also Berserker is one of my favorite jobs. Once you learn the many ways you can abuse slow speed buff stacking and berserk their burst damage goes through the roof.

There is an ice dungeon in chapter 4 that has a slippery floor and you slide on it. There's a room where you have to carefully cross bridges of ice to get some chests, I really appreciate the physics of it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Kyrosiris posted:

I just finished another of them. Salvemaker, Shieldmaster, Swordmaster. That fight was so loving hard and SO loving satisfying to get the win.

Turns out that putting Break Damage Limit on your person who casually hits 9999 allowing them to now hit for 20k+ is really good!

I really wish you'd been more specific about where that spoiler was. I thought I'd missed a banking mechanic between jobs and now I've had a really cool surprise spoiled. :(

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

To be fair there are like a dozen loading screen tooltips that say "level 12 or beyond".

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Solarflare posted:

You need a hidden puzzle piece to make this work:

lite spoiler:

An important sidequest in a side town in the third chapter area hides an important job for enabling casting over a long period of time. note that i didn't say "big" magical dps. just sustained. this will change though!

lite spoiler 2:

in the mean time get the status-conscious skill on your caster and use RDM/BLM to drown your enemies in status effects.

lite spoiler 3, early-mid ch 3:

the job you get in the cave has a very useful power for an AoE focused mage...

heavy spoiler:

use the new job's abilities with ethers ensures that your MP problems are solved... but the big brain play is to combine its ability with the thief related ability to do big number damage in fights with the compound ability.

end of chapter 3 spoiler:

the oracle job gives you ways to dramatically magnify the damage you can do with spells while also giving you a huge discount on them, allowing you to basically cast BLM and RDM spells endlessly with no real drawback on enemies you may have double-weakened to the element. (and also lets you add that damage to your physical attacker) that's a spicy damage meatball.

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

[extremely bilbo voice] why dont i deserve two monzerkers with hp absorb... i ground for them, they’re mine