Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Is anyone playing the Mortal Online 2 beta? If I'm not mistaken it looks like you have to make a mandatory "donation" to be in the closed beta...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

kedo posted:

Is anyone playing the Mortal Online 2 beta? If I'm not mistaken it looks like you have to make a mandatory "donation" to be in the closed beta...?

I'm in it, and yeah you do. Did the 30 something dollar one.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

How is it? Or are you NDA'd?

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

kedo posted:

How is it? Or are you NDA'd?

It's very very much an alpha. They are rolling out new features every two weeks, characters start out with max skills and stats to test features. As someone who liked MO1 a lot getting to play around with MO2 early was totally worth it. If you are looking for a complete experience I would save your money. I really only log in every other patch or so to check out the new features.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I said come in! posted:

Someone is going through Everquest Online Adventures, and making a HD update to the textures, and adding shadow effects. Obviously only available on the PS2 emulator, but the fanbase for EQOA has gotten really dedicated and obsessive in the last 6 months with bringing this game back to life.

I would think it'd be smarter to try to port the level data into p1999's engine but :shrug: do your thing EQOA fans

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

kedo posted:

I'm in it. I was in the combat alpha for MO1 too, I was like user ID...6 or some poo poo lmfao.

MO2 is in better shape than I thought it'd be but....its very much not complete yet

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
well I havent played it in a few months and I see this:

A: Closed Beta will run until the game enters Persistent State which is currently scheduled for March, 2021.

And persistent state:

A: Mortal Online 2 is a game that never stops evolving. We will continue to add new features throughout the entirety of the game's lifespan.

Persistent State means that all core features have been added and player progress will no longer be wiped.

will look into how its doing now

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I tried MO1 a few years ago, but it took a full day to download and then it ran like poo poo. It sounded fun as hell up til then so I'm willing to give MO2 a shot.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
I got access to MO2 as well. Note that I got a copy for free, so naturally I'll be biased. But with that said it is the one game I'm holding out for in the MMO genre. I doubt it will have mass market appeal but I'm personally loving it so far and hope it succeeds. The developers have a lot of work to do still, but they are working at an insane pace and doing good work. As long as they provide a decent sandbox experience on top of the systems already in the game, namely the combat, magic and crafting, then it will be a good time for me personally. I especially like their hard stance on one character per account, it won't stop everyone, but will hopefully as a whole still result in an MMO where people have to interact with each other and not be one man power houses do everything themselves.

Boar It fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Mar 2, 2021

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

zwdzk posted:

A game like Glitch would probably do much better today then it did at release. Especially if it were in 3D.

Man... That was such a nice little game...

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Echtra (Torchlight 3) has been acquired by Zynga to work on a new IP, so Max Schaefer is likely getting yet another attempt at making an MMOARPG

5th time lucky? :suicide:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Licarn posted:

Echtra (Torchlight 3) has been acquired by Zynga to work on a new IP, so Max Schaefer is likely getting yet another attempt at making an MMOARPG

5th time lucky? :suicide:

The Farmville people? I can't think of anything they've done that wasn't awful.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

If only I could publish each and every goblin kill to my FB feed...

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

LLSix posted:

The Farmville people? I can't think of anything they've done that wasn't awful.

define awful! they managed to crack the casual gamer market wide open and extracted barrels and barrels of money from the then seldom-explored 'taking a poo poo' and 'chatting with the other soccer moms' markets. so i'd say definitely not awful :smuggo:

or do you mean like.. making actually fun games that don't just abuse our predilections for shinies in the name of exploitation user engagement? i mean, yeah, okay, I guess. :colbert:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What MMOs are functionally single player games that masquerade as a MMO

Star Wars is described like that, but looking for something a bit more action-y for combat

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

That's virtually all of them to be honest, but Elder Scrolls Online would be my pick.

Mr.Fuzzywig
Dec 13, 2006
I play too much Supcom
Black desert online is incredibly single player. You see other people but have very limited interaction with them.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
those are the two best choices

I mean FFXIV is mostly single player too, but there are def required dungeons that you gotta queue for

if you play as DPS tho you basically have no responsibilities

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
You have to do instanced dungeons to move through the plot in FFIV and the DPS queue times are like 15 minutes. I found it annoying, and the black mage rotation was boring as gently caress.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

eonwe posted:

those are the two best choices

I mean FFXIV is mostly single player too, but there are def required dungeons that you gotta queue for

if you play as DPS tho you basically have no responsibilities

Well the floor ain't gonna fight itself.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
BLM rotation is boring until like 70, and then its my favorite by far

Also, anyone following a game called Fractured? It looks....for a sandbox game....not entirely jank??

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

Mortal Online 2 sounds kinda decent, am I going to be disappointed again? Bannerlord does not seem to have Multiplayer mods out, let alone CRPG/strategus.

I am just hoping they get the basic, simpler stuff down first before they thrown down into the more complicated aspects of a possible decent MMO

Chopstix fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 6, 2021

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Chopstix posted:

Mortal Online 2 sounds kinda decent, am I going to be disappointed again? Bannerlord does not seem to have Multiplayer mods out, let alone CRPG/strategus.

I am just hoping they get the basic, simpler stuff down first before they thrown down into the more complicated aspects of a possible decent MMO

Yeah we'll see about that once the game goes persistent, but so far they've been focusing on the basics and getting in all the remaining core features at least. One thing is for sure though, the game will have plenty of interesting people in the game from day 1. There are guilds and people from MO1 with established reputations and loads of grudges that have built up over the past decade. Watching the veterans fight both in-game and in the discord is hilarious.
Everything from a megalomaniac guild leader with anger issues, to a shady guy who started his own out of game currency and bank in the first game. The latter insists that he is an honorable businessman and intends to set up a transfer system where you can move your wealth from the first game into the second one by using his currency. Community wise it is a mini EVE, for better or worse. (Probably worse)

Boar It fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 6, 2021

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Star Wars is described like that, but looking for something a bit more action-y for combat

Black Desert Online.

there's a lot of people playing, you you're never playing *with* them outside the big pvp wars which can be completely ignored.

there's a couple very high level areas where you need a group, but it'll take you months of grind to get there, plus they're optional, and outside those, being in a group isn't just not needed, it's detrimental lmao

you also can't trade with any players, only NPCs. only super basic poo poo like hp pots can be traded. all other player trades go through an auction house with predetermined prices ranges for items.

it's effectively a 100% single player grindfest. combat is so good though

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

SWTOR and The Secret World

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Boar It posted:

Yeah we'll see about that once the game goes persistent, but so far they've been focusing on the basics and getting in all the remaining core features at least. One thing is for sure though, the game will have plenty of interesting people in the game from day 1. There are guilds and people from MO1 with established reputations and loads of grudges that have built up over the past decade. Watching the veterans fight both in-game and in the discord is hilarious.
Everything from a megalomaniac guild leader with anger issues, to a shady guy who started his own out of game currency and bank in the first game. The latter insists that he is an honorable businessman and intends to set up a transfer system where you can move your wealth from the first game into the second one by using his currency. Community wise it is a mini EVE, for better or worse. (Probably worse)

Yeah the MO1 vets are completely out of their minds toxic. I think the politics in MO1 over the last few years just boiled down to an unbelievable amount of poo poo talking with nobody really wanting to risk their pre-patched mounts and empty nerd castles. The ego's really are way beyond any other game I've played.

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

Jimlit posted:

Yeah the MO1 vets are completely out of their minds toxic. I think the politics in MO1 over the last few years just boiled down to an unbelievable amount of poo poo talking with nobody really wanting to risk their pre-patched mounts and empty nerd castles. The ego's really are way beyond any other game I've played.

This is not the worse thing, it’s been a long time since I’ve played anything with goon collaboration, but when it happens it can take advantage of that kind of thing to hilarious effects. Watching the fight mechanics it’s not bad (and in some ways, theoretically is better than Bannerlord, which I hold to a gold standard), but the execution is going to be tested.

Chopstix fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 7, 2021

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
That sounds ripe for a goontang clan scenario if we got the numbers

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

It’d be fun to goonrush a sandbox pvp mmo again. I had endless fun in Darkfall with goons way back in the day, and that game sucked.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

kedo posted:

It’d be fun to goonrush a sandbox pvp mmo again. I had endless fun in Darkfall with goons way back in the day, and that game sucked.

Toilet Eve gave me that rush recently. Bad game, good times.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

That Black Desert Online Remastered doesn't look half bad...

kedo posted:

Agreed

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

eonwe posted:

BLM rotation is boring until like 70, and then its my favorite by far

Also, anyone following a game called Fractured? It looks....for a sandbox game....not entirely jank??

I saw some youtube videos about this, and it looks quite, ok?

I'll keep an eye on this one.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, Fractured somehow looks okay.

And as far as Mortal Online 2 - would recommend not buying yet. Theres a few of us who have it and lets see if they actually do persistent this month (I really doubt it) and what its like.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

eonwe posted:

Yeah, Fractured somehow looks okay.

And as far as Mortal Online 2 - would recommend not buying yet. Theres a few of us who have it and lets see if they actually do persistent this month (I really doubt it) and what its like.

It is a solid base but yeah, unless you liked MO1 I would hold off for now. Since the open stress test is on the 25th I would not expect persistent before April. The keys will be handed out like candy though so it is a good opportunity to try it out.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
and yes as an early MO1 player, the comment that MO1's community is toxic can't be overstated enough

its basically people who have, for at least a decade, yearned for the perfect PvP MMO and theorycrafted it and built themselves up and hardly played anything but they are *certain* they're PvP gods and you're a scrub

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

eonwe posted:

and yes as an early MO1 player, the comment that MO1's community is toxic can't be overstated enough

I can't wait for MO2

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

I only played the first game a bit but so far in the sequel people have been almost exclusively very nice. There are a few guilds that house most of the toxicity it seems, but by and large people seem quite chill from my experience. Though I'll never forget seeing a screaming French dwarf (in MO2) who ganged up on someone with his friends and then audibly spat on the corpse of the guy they just ganked. The internet is a magical place.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

eonwe posted:

its basically people who have, for at least a decade, yearned for the perfect PvP MMO and theorycrafted it and built themselves up and hardly played anything but they are *certain* they're PvP gods and you're a scrub

What's the situation re: tricks that can kill a high level player with a sufficient number of nude lowbies spamming it? Got fond spin2win memories I'd love to revisit

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
equipment is super important, or at least, was in MO1.

Fun things I used to do:

Run around on the tops of roofs in Gaul Kor shooting at people with a bow while they couldn't easily get to me
Run around Gaul Kor cliff faces and find AFK miners, and rather than killing them, just push them away from the wall so they're trying to automine the air all night

My friends and I glitched into the Aegis Imperium (the first *big* guild that was in MO1) house and stole all their gold. Since metal is relatively accurately portrayed in game, gold is very heavy and it would be godawful as weapons and armor. Anyway, we made full suits of armor and weapons of gold and took a photo thanking Aegis Imperium for it
We spent all night destroying the first house in MO1 (as far as we knew) which was made by someone named Psychobilly. Anyway, he ended up thinking it was hilarious and joined us after that

also MO1 was, for a time, incredibly bad about glitches.

the launch day had everyone spawning at the bottom of a lake that was so deep that you couldn't swim to the top without drowning. This meant your dead body would float to the top and ragdoll. And you were naked, so your dick would ragdoll around too. Anyway, the servers crashed like every 10 minutes or so because the lake was just filled with naked dudes and their ragdolling dicks stressing the server. It became known as Sausage Lake (and I think is still known as that today)

One time there was a bug that swapped the nose (I think) of male models with the vagina model

oh and for a little bit if anyone looked at you while you mounted a horse it would cause their client to crash. so it was really funny bringing a mount into town and mounting it, crashing multiple people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

The only things I remember about MO1 is pushing AFKs out of the instagib guard zone to gank them and pushing AFKs off the the big rear end cliff next to that one town with the big giant cliff. Also one time I tamed the minotaur but as soon as I left the grid he normally lived in, he went wild and murdered everyone while glitched underground.

Also holy poo poo I remember talking about MO to my friends junior year of high school. Time is fast as gently caress, poo poo. This was also around the time of Xsyon, anyone remember that poo poo?

Shadowlz fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 10, 2021