Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tesla uses 18650 cells, right? Just load 'em like a shotgun magazine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KozmoNaut posted:

Tesla uses 18650 cells, right? Just load 'em like a shotgun magazine.

We're going to see all sorts of battery install innovation here I think. Slowed down gif of a battery install machine:

KillerKatten
Oct 26, 2010
Holy poo poo that id4 navigation charging planning. That is inexcusable!

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

Remember Tesla was going to swap batteries with robots on the model S? It's back.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2021/03/this-startup-has-an-intriguing-concept-for-ev-battery-swaps/

It's a cool idea in principle but I'm not really convinced it actually makes any sense, practically. A range of 300 miles should be enough for cab or courier drivers to get through the day without charging, and one charge during the lunch break should cover the rest. Soo... instead you have to mod the car to take their snowflake batteries that probably result in lower total capacity (and potentially worse cooling and discharge rates) at an unknown cost, and then pay them to install the station and pay to do the swaps.

In the end you save maybe 20-30 minutes vs a charge, assuming the driver wouldn't be taking a break anyway. I read about a company that only does LA-LV trips, maybe it would be worthwhile there I suppose.

It makes 0 sense. The liability alone is insane. What happens when they swap in a faulty battery back and it explodes in your garage?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

KillerKatten posted:

That’s why you buy a Tesla.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The battery swap stuff seems particularly insane since the problems of charging duration are decreasing due to new faster charging standards and infrastructure. I think that will continue and the problem will basically become nonexistent. If you can get down to 300 mi in 15 minutes that seems fine, and that's not so far off.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Swapping does make more sense for motorcycles, though. Even with short charge times, the fact that you can just grab the battery and pop it in or out is super convenient.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
We were interested in an ID4 for the missus, she hates the look of the Model Y. Unfortunately the more I see and read about it, the worse it seems. Mediocre range, heavy, tepid performance, lovely charging network, huge infotainment issues, haptic buttons and a bunch of other oddities. The price seems pretty high to me once I factor all of that in. The best thing I can say about it is that it has adequate storage relative to competition, though the lack of a frunk is a puzzler for a pure EV. The Canadian variant will have a heat pump at least too. I think she'll just finish out another year with ICE car and we'll wait what arrives next year, the ID4 seems really lackluster.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The longer you can hold off the better, really. The one shining light on these ID4 issues seems likely to be solvable with software updates. But that car doesn't look like it was intended to be stacked up against other EVs.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

KillerKatten posted:

Just watched the Engineering Explained video as well. Yeah, that is bad. Feels like they should have worked on that and the screen performance before giving these test vehicles out to reviewers. First impressions being what they are.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Nfcknblvbl posted:

The longer you can hold off the better, really. The one shining light on these ID4 issues seems likely to be solvable with software updates. But that car doesn't look like it was intended to be stacked up against other EVs.

Well, if you are to believe VW it really wasn't, sort of. The idea was to grab market share not from other EVs but from conventional ICE crossovers.

The software issue isn't great but having driven a couple of ID3s I think it _might_ be a tad overblown or I've just been fortunate not to have anything particularly bad happen. But we'll see how 2.1 works out, if that's a dud then I think VW will be in trouble since people are expecting it to address a lot of issues.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Was watching one video on the Mach-E (Alex on Autos) and he mentions Ford said the frunk dividers are there for legislative reasons.. What possible legislation could that be? Tesla certainly never had to put in dividers...

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

stevewm posted:

Was watching one video on the Mach-E (Alex on Autos) and he mentions Ford said the frunk dividers are there for legislative reasons.. What possible legislation could that be? Tesla certainly never had to put in dividers...

I've seen quite a few reviews where they took them out so I don't think it's that big of a deal. Interesting that they're saying they're required though, that's odd

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?
https://youtu.be/XCobPwoNCfk
Taycan cross turismo available in a 4s trim.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Regarding range, the ID.4 hit 190 miles on Car and Drivers 75mph highway range test vs 220 miles for the Model Y Long Range. That’s not a substantial difference to me. Neither car comes close to their EPA rated range when driven at what are fairly normal highway speeds, least in the US. There’s nothing that 220 miles will get me to without stopping that 190 won’t.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

stevewm posted:

I think you either have to have the dividers so the volume is below some limits or you have to out an emergency release on the inside for all the unfortunate cases where you lock yourself inside of the t/frunk

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

borkencode posted:

Another youtuber reviews and is disappointed by the ID4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EotuxCptcM4

WHY DO YOU NEED AN APP TO CHARGE A loving CAR ON A CHARGING NETWORK OF YOUR OWN DESIGN?

*edit: the more I watch of this the more I'm convinced the user interface was designed by someone who doesn't drive a car and has only been told about them and it went through very little critical testing. Looks nice? Ship it.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 4, 2021

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

mobby_6kl posted:

I think you either have to have the dividers so the volume is below some limits or you have to out an emergency release on the inside for all the unfortunate cases where you lock yourself inside of the t/frunk

The frunk does have an emergency release though

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Re: frunks, I'm okay with EVs that don't have them if they make up for it with a shorter hood. Ones that don't do either a frunk or short front section make me sad.

stevewm posted:

Maybe since it's a little bigger and has a drain plug?

Edit:

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Regarding range, the ID.4 hit 190 miles on Car and Drivers 75mph highway range test vs 220 miles for the Model Y Long Range. That’s not a substantial difference to me. Neither car comes close to their EPA rated range when driven at what are fairly normal highway speeds, least in the US. There’s nothing that 220 miles will get me to without stopping that 190 won’t.

Apparently there was a decent temperature difference too, with the ID.4 having colder conditions for its test.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
nope

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 6, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Westy543 posted:

Re: frunks, I'm okay with EVs that don't have them if they make up for it with a shorter hood. Ones that don't do either a frunk or short front section make me sad.

Maybe since it's a little bigger and has a drain plug?

Edit:

Apparently there was a decent temperature difference too, with the ID.4 having colder conditions for its test.
Looking forward to Bjørn driving it into the frozen wasteland for us.

The ID4 will probably be perfectly fine once the software is updated. I think Doug mentioned that it's only slow in a few specific instances. Otherwise the only thing that bothers is are the capacitive buttons which should not exist.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The capacitive buttons are criminal

Shamino posted:

https://youtu.be/XCobPwoNCfk
Taycan cross turismo available in a 4s trim.

neat. can you get rid of the stupid goddamn black plastic trim?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Depends if you want trim or not :clint:

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

Otherwise the only thing that bothers is are the capacitive buttons which should not exist.

The capacitive toggle button to control the rear windows is one of the dumbest loving things I've ever seen, I have no idea how that went to production.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The Gunslinger posted:

The capacitive toggle button to control the rear windows is one of the dumbest loving things I've ever seen, I have no idea how that went to production.

I can only think it was a tiny team that threw this together and whoever thought of this managed to convince the testing team it works well and they never got anyone outside the team to test it. That's the only way poo poo like this gets through, it can be hard to think like a consumer if your entire job is to think up new ways to do stuff, particularly if you're trying to 'innovate'. There's some things that should just be left alone for good reason. If you're changing them, get the opinion of someone who's going to use it, don't just throw it in and assume it's good.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The Model Y was tested when the temp was 75, the ID4 when it was 40.

Here's a Model 3 range comparison in different temps:
https://insideevs.com/news/448961/tesla-model-3-range-hot-cold-temps/
" The January test took place in colder conditions, often below 10 degrees Centigrade (50 Fahrenheit). The October one, on the other hand, took place with clear skies and “spring” temperatures, over 20 Centigrade degrees (68 degrees Fahrenheit)"

They saw about a 23% increase in energy use when it got a little colder. So that 220 mile range of the Model Y would probably be significantly less at 40 degrees, possibly less than the ID4 even.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

PIZZA.BAT posted:

The frunk does have an emergency release though

It has an electric button for the release inside. I suspect they would need a physically operated one in case of battery issues. The divider is certainly something to do with preventing children from fitting in there. America has some strange laws and likely to much trouble for anyone manufacturer to have it changed.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The Gunslinger posted:

Conceptually I’m fine with it. I basically never care about rolling down the rear windows and constantly get the wrong switch on the CX-5 when doing it by touch. How well it works in practice will depend on how easily it gets toggled accidentally.

Guido Merkens
Jun 18, 2003

The price of greatness is responsibility.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Conceptually I’m fine with it. I basically never care about rolling down the rear windows and constantly get the wrong switch on the CX-5 when doing it by touch. How well it works in practice will depend on how easily it gets toggled accidentally.

My least favorite aspect of new cars are the lack of physical buttons that I can feel without looking directly at to use. This rear window thing isn’t terrible but it is one more thing you have to look at or else poked around at while the front windows roll down, etc. It wouldn’t be a dealbreaker for me, but if this were going on in a car that just uses a screen for controls I’d be miffed at how much time I’m spending not watching the road.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Battery Life channel doing a livestream of the 2.1 software in an ID3. Seems a bit quicker and definitely more stable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAxtnttfKRE

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Guido Merkens posted:

My least favorite aspect of new cars are the lack of physical buttons that I can feel without looking directly at to use. This rear window thing isn’t terrible but it is one more thing you have to look at or else poked around at while the front windows roll down, etc. It wouldn’t be a dealbreaker for me, but if this were going on in a car that just uses a screen for controls I’d be miffed at how much time I’m spending not watching the road.

I think the capacitive steering wheel buttons are much worse in that respect. I spend way more time messing with that stuff than the rear windows. I can’t think of a single reason to do it that isn’t hilariously cheap, but it’s only a very minor annoyance vs the steady creep towards everything being controlled through a touch screen. People will look back on this fondly in five years when the only way to roll down your window in a new car is six menus deep in a touch screen or gesture based controls.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I think the capacitive steering wheel buttons are much worse in that respect. I spend way more time messing with that stuff than the rear windows. I can’t think of a single reason to do it that isn’t hilariously cheap, but it’s only a very minor annoyance vs the steady creep towards everything being controlled through a touch screen. People will look back on this fondly in five years when the only way to roll down your window in a new car is six menus deep in a touch screen or gesture based controls.

Hell, in five years the car AI will just decide when the windows need to be rolled down and do it for you.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

It won't just be buried 6 screens deep in a menu, you'll also have "Car, roll down the rear windows". Where it will just randomly do things because it thought you said something, all while sending all conversations off to a server somewhere that is teaching AI better speech recognition (required to accept these terms and conditions to use your $40,000+ vehicle).

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

quote:

I go back and forth on it. The touch screen stuff doesn't bother me as long as the car has good automatic functions. Like auto with HVAC works flawlessly in my Model 3 so I don't mind the lack of physical controls there. The wipers on the other hand do not, Tesla stubbornly insists on avoiding an industry standard rain sensor and relies on "AI" which does a mediocre job at best. But overall though, the touch screen stuff is overblown and really isn't a big deal to me. I have volume, cruise control and etc on the wheel. If they were capacitive buttons though then I would definitely be less than thrilled.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I got an email about the Electrify America app being redesigned. I don't see anything that would change the experiences the YouTubers had though.
https://www.electrifyamerica.com/mobile-app/
My password doesn't seem to be correct, so I can't login. I hate that I can't login on the desktop.

edit: I resynced my password app. It has new privacy terms to accept that somebody should read carefully, and it's cool to see 2 new coming locations near me.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 4, 2021

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

They just opened the EA station by me that had been complete/inactive/abandoned for about 2 full years.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

RZA Encryption posted:

They just opened the EA station by me that had been complete/inactive/abandoned for about 2 full years.

Yikes. Yeah there's no timeline and I think I've seen a few of these a few months ago in Plugshare as coming soon already, so it seems to take a while around here? I also didn't see any sign of a new installation last time I went to the mall (U Village) where it says coming soon, but also wasn't on the lookout for it.

edit: From the Ballard Fred Meyer, looks like they put the coming soon at least 3 months before construction even begins.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

It can be surprisingly difficult to deal with local utilities when you need more than a couple hundred kilowatts of power, heh.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Wibla posted:

It can be surprisingly difficult to deal with local utilities when you need more than a couple hundred kilowatts of power, heh.

Our political climate isn't obstructionist like some places are, but I believe it anyway. The biggest obstacle likely is we have a big labor shortage / backlog in construction though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Charles posted:

Our political climate isn't obstructionist like some places are, but I believe it anyway. The biggest obstacle likely is we have a big labor shortage / backlog in construction though.

It's mainly long lead-times on transformers as well as scheduling/labor hell - there's simply not enough competent manpower around to get everything done in a timely fashion.