Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah that's what I was talking about, I guess I should've linked it but I'd already closed the tab I read it on and going back to find it was more effort than I was willing to expend. Just absolutely baffling stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
a character action game where you can play as any of the avengers should be a loving slam dunk

even in a post End Game world, avengers and marvel in general is still huuuuugely popular. It's astounding how they managed to gently caress up what should have been easy money lol

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
live service games are basically all cancer

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

How fast do you think they’ll go back on those changes?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Invalid Validation posted:

How fast do you think they’ll go back on those changes?

There'd have to be players for there to be outrage

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I think they may be aiming to make the game Free to Play with these changes? lmao man

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
The fact that either of the first two extra characters is Hawkeye is loving mad to me, why did they think Hawkeye would sell units?

The fact that they're both Hawkeye is like some omega-level troll that makes me giggle a bit every time I remember it because of how stupid it is.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Lmao

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

how in the gently caress do they think this will turn out well? Is this some kind of broad experiment? There's no logical explanation for how amazingly bad the developers are. They're making the Fallout 76 and Destiny devs look like golden gods.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

I went on a rant about this on discord.

Long story short, cancel this game and shut the servers down at this point.

They are beyond stupid at this point.

They have no idea what will inject life into this.

This is the dumbest gaming news I’ve heard this year for a patch.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
This is making Anthem look like a well developed game.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
This rules. I'm glad i pre-ordered this so i can feel exquisite pain with every new announcement.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

This is making Anthem look like a well developed game.

loving seriously lol

I'd be more likely to load up anthem than GaaSvengers at this point

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Cloks posted:

This rules. I'm glad i pre-ordered this so i can feel exquisite pain with every new announcement.

glad I bought it for 40bux at xmas with giftcards i was given.

Moola posted:

loving seriously lol

I'd be more likely to load up anthem than GaaSvengers at this point

I will sing the praises of SP, but beyond that, wtf are they thinking???

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 4, 2021

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

So their reasoning for making the game have even more grind is because new players were confused when getting skill points too fast. :confused:

I’m guessing they’re due for some kind of metric check in the next couple weeks before the character drop that is decided by player count and they are doing this to inflate the numbers.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Getting to 50 was already juuuust long enough that I didn't even feel compelled to do it more than once, this oughta go great!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I think they may be aiming to make the game Free to Play with these changes? lmao man

Feels likely to be a PS+ title in the next few months. I could imagine them transitioning it into a F2P title and giving the game away to try and salvage something out of this disaster.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

The take I am reading on making leveling take longer and the dumb poo poo they’re doing is to expand the very little this game has to offer to make it appear to be longer.

Because there is so little content and not much on the horizon, they’re going to make the grind longer.

That’s the content.

Basically nobody is happy about this and if CD doubles down, then...just lol

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

ICR posted:

The take I am reading on making leveling take longer and the dumb poo poo they’re doing is to expand the very little this game has to offer to make it appear to be longer.

Because there is so little content and not much on the horizon, they’re going to make the grind longer.

That’s the content.

Basically nobody is happy about this and if CD doubles down, then...just lol

It's really just crazy. I spent more time in this game and had more fun with it than like 95% of people and I probably would have played more if the leveling was faster, not slower. I would have spent more time gearing up max level characters instead of getting to the mid-levels with half the roster before 'ehhhhhh, nevermind' set in.

Game is dead. Reskin black widow as spider-man already to fulfill the contractual obligation and call it a day

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BGrifter posted:

Everything about this game screams “future PS+ title”. If you wait a few months it seems highly likely to be one.

A couple more years and it’ll be a Humble Bundle staple.

You're way more optimistic than me on how long the servers are gonna be up.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Vince MechMahon posted:

You're way more optimistic than me on how long the servers are gonna be up.

Pretty sure it's mostly P2P multiplayer so I can't imagine the server load is very costly

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

My crackpot theory is that Crystal Dynamics want out and their contract with Disney says they're only obligated to provide support until the playerbase falls below a certain level. Gotta tank those numbers asap before they go bust developing DLC for a couple of thousand players.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Plus they can probably squeeze some cash out of it by pumping up the micro transactions and making it a PS+ giveaway/putting it in Humble Bundles/etc.

Lure in a bunch of players because “meh, it’s free why not at least try it” then hope to snag a few whales in that artificially inflated playerbase.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Recall that Crystal Dynamics were originally saying they expected this game to go on for four years; they had all sorts of stories, events and characters planned.

There is no way this game goes past "season one", if that - it looks like they've already been struggling to produce anything since launch.

I'm sure this goes F2P eventually, but probably not until Spider-Man has been in the game for a while - Sony and Square-Enix know that character's release will see a boost for PS4 and PS5 copies of the game, so that would be leaving money on the table. But once Spidey has come and gone, this game will probably get the traditional F2P sunsetting treatment. That or content just dries up and it gets forgotten.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Necrothatcher posted:

My crackpot theory is that Crystal Dynamics want out and their contract with Disney says they're only obligated to provide support until the playerbase falls below a certain level. Gotta tank those numbers asap before they go bust developing DLC for a couple of thousand players.

There are 450ish playing this on Steam*, if that isn't low enough, what is? Four and a donkey? A Russian chat bot? Walt Disney's frozen mind?

*Yes, yes, we know, more people will be playing this, trapped in the hellscape that is consoles, we know.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

The extended leveling grind has F2P all over it.

Marvel Heroes was canceled having more players than the 450 on PC. I don’t know what consoles look like, but it’s a matter of when, not if, this game goes under.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

RagnarokZ posted:

There are 450ish playing this on Steam*, if that isn't low enough, what is? Four and a donkey? A Russian chat bot? Walt Disney's frozen mind?

*Yes, yes, we know, more people will be playing this, trapped in the hellscape that is consoles, we know.

One less than the number of people playing Artifact.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Is the spiderman dlc even guaranteed at this point?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Narcissus1916 posted:

The assumption is there’s some sort of contract in place that would be more expensive to break than to crank out a lovely Spidey reskin and call it a day.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Narcissus1916 posted:

I mean, none of us has seen the actual contract with Sony so there may be an out, but I imagine they have to release some kind of spider based man or face some serious penalties

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
its just so weird

there's dozens of great write ups and talks about designing a game like this, and they all say "don't make getting a character to max level a chore because the real game is what comes after that"

you want players to level fast so that the gear becomes the new leveling. if you really want to keep a leveling system in, you create an alternative leveling system (usually account wide, like paragon levels) to keep that drip feed of "gaining more" in the system. avengers already kinda sorta has that with its comic collection, but its just super dumb and very, very random way to keep gaining progress

unfortunately the loot you end up chasing after you hit the level cap is extremely underwhelming or just non functional. "Loot 2.0" or whatever poo poo they are calling it is supposedly scheduled for this year, but I doubt it. this has Anthem Next written all over it, and its best to cut their losses and farm out the next big marvel game to a studio that can deliver

its sad because any person that played this game could immediately tell you some simple loving things to increase the player base and get more people playing again. CD must be completely gutted of talent or the lead completely out of touch with what service loot games should be

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Traditionally single player developers not knowing how to make a live service game? Shocking!

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

ZeeBoi posted:

Traditionally single player developers not knowing how to make a live service game? Shocking!
Insert 'they stuck an Avengers GaaS onto my perfectly good Kamala Khan/Ms. Marvel single-player story game' cliché here. Speaking of whom:
https://twitter.com/PlayAvengers/status/1367532942847660034At least this one was actually in the comics, even if only one issue (Ms. Marvel (2015) #12.)

P.S. Is it weird if I kind of still want to see what they were going to do with Black Panther and a Wakanda raid?

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
There has to be some upper-management failson exec just hoovering through piles of coke and shouting "2 hawkeyes! Increased grind! I'm a loving visionary!"

ZeeBoi posted:

Yeaaa but these decisions would be loving stupid in a sp game as well though

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
is there still only one enemy faction in this game?

This is like basic gaas / horde mode stuff at this point

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

The whole leveling slow down thing SCREAMS the devs have totally lost creative control. Some suit if telling them how to "fix" the dying/dead game and I doubt any of the devs give a poo poo anymore either way.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Can they hurry up and make it f2p? I want to play though the story but can't justify more than about a tenner...

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

jabro posted:

I’m guessing they’re due for some kind of metric check in the next couple weeks before the character drop that is decided by player count and they are doing this to inflate the numbers.
It's probably this, telling people "if you wanna grind do it now!!" right before the end of the fiscal quarter

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
The speed of levelling and gearing up at launch was like, the only good major thing about how the systems in the background of this game work, what the hell, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
people keep saying 2 Hawkeyes

but actually technically OLDMAN Hawkeye is also in this, so it's 3 Hawkeyes